New Star Trek Trailer Explodes Into Darkness

Pages PREV 1 2

Compared to the 2009 film's first teaser, nothing in this one generates much excitement for me. I say that as someone who is heavily looking forward to this.

cerebus23:

Kipiru:
I can see a lot of people are still going to hate this movie, because the cast is still refreshingly young, the visuals are crisp and good looking, and there is action and excitement on the screen. I can almost hear the "but the ship isn't hanging on a wire anymore" and "the cast of Star Trek must never be younger than 50 years of age". I just made myself even more excited about this movie- didn't think it possible :)

I will officially hate it for the same reason i hated the first, it will use the science understanding of a 2 year old because jj abrams does not know or care about science stuff, he wants things that look pretty that explode alot, and he can do alot of fast cuts with the camera.

the scripts, "science" and dialogue, will be about as vapid as a daytime soap opera with a miltimillion dollar fx budget. all flash and no substence.

that was the issue with the new trek vs the old. and i pity you if you really cannot see the difference in treks.

You think Star Trek was based on science? I like you... you're funny.

Kipiru:
I can see a lot of people are still going to hate this movie, because the cast is still refreshingly young, the visuals are crisp and good looking, and there is action and excitement on the screen. I can almost hear the "but the ship isn't hanging on a wire anymore" and "the cast of Star Trek must never be younger than 50 years of age". I just made myself even more excited about this movie- didn't think it possible :)

I'm probably going to hate this one for the same reason I hated the last one: It's written by the same screenwriting duo who cursed us with all three Transformers films. And goddamn, does it show.

Ignoring the way that they absolutely raped physics in the last film, the fact that the story couldn't even stick to the internal logic of the universe presented meant that I couldn't get into it at all. Nothing in the film makes sense. Everything is plagued with plot holes and completely illogical reasoning.

The story of Star Trek doesn't make any sense at all. It is simply a sequence of set-pieces strung together by ham-fisted dialogue and complete absences of logic. There isn't a single moment of the ethical dilemma, moral conundrum, existential drama or philosophical problem that made the original series (and the follow ups) so famous. While Star Trek was never 'hard' sci-fi, it still had the ability to make viewers think, to challenge them by presenting them with moral and philosophical problems that couldn't be easily solved.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic about the follow up. To me, it looks like they're taking Wrath Of Khan, and remaking it. Why both fucking rebooting the series if you're just going to remake all the same films anyway?

I honestly think that Star Wars 2009 is a worse prequel than the Star Wars prequels. At least Episodes I-III tried to be thematically and canonically consistent with the original trilogy. The only thing that ties Trek'09 to the original series is the character names.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Kipiru:

I'm probably going to hate this one for the same reason I hated the last one: It's written by the same screenwriting duo who cursed us with all three Transformers films. And goddamn, does it show.

Ignoring the way that they absolutely raped physics in the last film, the fact that the story couldn't even stick to the internal logic of the universe presented meant that I couldn't get into it at all. Nothing in the film makes sense. Everything is plagued with plot holes and completely illogical reasoning.

The story of Star Trek doesn't make any sense at all. It is simply a sequence of set-pieces strung together by ham-fisted dialogue and complete absences of logic. There isn't a single moment of the ethical dilemma, moral conundrum, existential drama or philosophical problem that made the original series (and the follow ups) so famous. While Star Trek was never 'hard' sci-fi, it still had the ability to make viewers think, to challenge them by presenting them with moral and philosophical problems that couldn't be easily solved.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic about the follow up. To me, it looks like they're taking Wrath Of Khan, and remaking it. Why both fucking rebooting the series if you're just going to remake all the same films anyway?

I honestly think that Star Wars 2009 is a worse prequel than the Star Wars prequels. At least Episodes I-III tried to be thematically and canonically consistent with the original trilogy. The only thing that ties Trek'09 to the original series is the character names.

Right, now there is a post worth hanging on the wall as an example. j-e-f-f-e-r-s puts up a well formed and logical defence of his attitude towards the movie and does not stoop to verbal abuse. I still like the 2009 movie, but I can't argue with the contradictions above. They simply do not matter to me enough to spoil my fun.

Star trek was grounded in some decent science, that was as much a part of the show as anything else. To be fair after the man himself died, they could not even get the elevators right on the enterprise or the decks, how the heck can i expect them to have some common sense om the way wormholes and black holes and how they work when they cannt even get the decks right on the ships, they only had several books full of referance on the various ships.

roddenberry for all his camp put some intellect into his scifi, that is what was the core of trek and the first movie was gawd awful from a science standpoint i actually goraned any time they mentioned anything to dowith black hole white holes dark matter and etc because it ignored any and all undersanding for the hows the the whys they are what they are and they do what they do.

The really bad part of it it is at lest they could have swapped a few words around here and there and made it work, but they were just so not bothered about any of that just just they got some science sounding stuff in there.

but yes i understand full well that the average movie goer has the attention span of a gnat, and the intellect to match because of it. little more effort and we all could get better movies made, just requires us to think a bit more an stop just going with it cause they shovel this drivel out there.

Yeah... no. Cumberbatch is not Khan.
Khan = human
Cumberbatch in the trailer = pointy ears.

Also, the writers or what have you said it's not Khan.

It'll probably be some sort of ripple effect thing after Nero fucked up the timeline. This, together with pointy ears and hints of militaristic culture on that planet Cumberbatch is speaking in the first seconds of the trailer makes me deduce (hur hur, see what I did there?) that he is a Romulan of some sort.

As I already said in another thread, I'm pretty disappointed with the teaser trailer. It's just way too action oriented for my taste and it seems like the writers of the film are drifting further away from the 'feel' that the Star Trek TV-shows had. I'm hoping that this is just a case of 'sucky teaser trailer' and that the actual film is less Transformer-esque. Love Benedict though, so there is still hope.

Kipiru:

Rogue 09:

You're an idiot

And you just made all your comments irrelevant :)

Not if my comment stands up to evidence, which...

Kipiru:
But going along like you did and that "nobel peace prise winner" above, Rogue 09, is simply stupid and shows only bitterness and an unhealthy desire to show yourself as somethnig more.

It's "prize" and "something" buddy. Thanks for playing, though.

P.S. If you're going to try to take the high moral ground, you should stop digging downward.

Kipiru:
Right, now there is a post worth hanging on the wall as an example. j-e-f-f-e-r-s puts up a well formed and logical defence of his attitude towards the movie and does not stoop to verbal abuse.

Correct. Not this:

Kipiru:

Do you understand where your mistake may have been?

RobotDinosaur:
Really? I liked Simon Pegg as Scotty - though I could just be biased as a huge fan of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, or ignorant as someone who didn't watch much of the original Trek. But I thought he was fine, and in any case can't think of who would be obviously better.

He stuck out like a sore thumb, although I guess you could argue that he was supposed to? Maybe they thought they needed even more comic relief? I mean towards the end everyone started getting really serious except for him.

Just to be clear it didn't bother me because I'm also a big Simon Pegg fan, so I was expecting a comical performance.

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:

Rogue 09:

You're an idiot

Kipiru:
But going along like you did and that "nobel peace prise winner" above, Rogue 09, is simply stupid and shows only bitterness and an unhealthy desire to show yourself as somethnig more.

P.S. If you're going to try to take the high moral ground, you should stop digging downward.

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:
Right, now there is a post worth hanging on the wall as an example. j-e-f-f-e-r-s puts up a well formed and logical defence of his attitude towards the movie and does not stoop to verbal abuse.

Correct. Not this:

Kipiru:

Yeah. I see you just can't shake the urge to abuse, so I'm sorry to have wasted your effort. You still gave no evidence to contradict me, unlike j-e-f-f-e-r-s. You just stick to being a condescending jerk. I guess that's how you've been brought up.

Well, this just in?
Japanese trailer gives us a few more seconds, which basically show this:

Also, I was wrong, Cumberbatch has pointy ears on his own, so he probably is human after all.

Kipiru:

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:

Kipiru:

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:

Correct. Not this:

Kipiru:

Yeah. I see you just can't shake the urge to abuse, so I'm sorry to have wasted your effort. You still gave no evidence to contradict me, unlike j-e-f-f-e-r-s. You just stick to being a condescending jerk. I guess that's how you've been brought up.

(Sigh)... I guess it would be too much for someone with opinions such as yours to actually put some mental effort into deciphering what may be the most blatantly pointed to evidence possible. I apologize for expecting anything from you in terms of intellect. That was clearly my fault.

Rogue 09:

Kipiru:

I apologize for expecting anything from you in terms of intellect.

Yeah, thank you for proving me right. Because insults take intellect...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here