Time Lists Top Ten Videogames of 2012

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Time Lists Top Ten Videogames of 2012

This is an interesting list. Let's argue about it!

You know the end of the year is fast approaching when top-ten retrospectives begin to dominate the media. And even though there's still a good three weeks left in ought-12, Time Magazine has come out of the blocks quickly with its list of the year's top ten videogames. Let's get to it.

10. Torchlight 2
9. Halo 4
8. LittleBigPlanet
7. The Last Story
6. Papo & Yo
5. Assassin's Creed III
4. Dishonored
3. XCom: Enemy Unknown
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
1. Guild Wars 2

Each entry on the list is accompanied by a brief explanation of why it was included. Torchlight, for instance, is just $20 "for a no-less-polished action roleplaying game" than Diablo 3, while Dishonored is described (disputably, I might add) as "sandbox sneaking at its finest" and Xenoblade Chronicles "slow-feeds its bonuses and mysteries and gameplay change-ups so that just when you're border with activity X, along comes diversion Y or undertaking Z."

Top ten lists are all the about the arguments that follow in their wake and there's plenty of fodder for that, in the list and also in the notable absences, including Mass Effect 3, Journey, Minecraft, Diablo III and Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse. (Okay, I'm just kidding about that last one.) Should a PS Vita release of a four-year-old game take precedence over, say, an experimental success like Dear Esther? Is Assassin's Creed III really "better" than Mass Effect 3? And should Halo 4 make the list just because "that's what we love about Halo, and Halo 4 does it better than any game since the original?"

There's really no right or wrong with top ten lists, but discussion and debate? They are plentiful and good. Begin!

Source: Time

Ehh, wouldn't have been my top 10 but there are fair points for each one for sure.

They have games on there that I didn't like and left off games that I did like!

They are dead to me! Dead, I tell you!

(That goes for anyone who does not acknowledge the awesomeness of The Walking Dead game.)

Yey, TL2 got recognition! :D

I would never put GW2 at #1 though.

>Top Ten Videogames of 2012
>Little Big Planet

Huh?

No no no, Far Cry 3 is sand box sneaking at its finest.

Seriously, best implementation of stealth mechanics I've seen in a first person game thus far.

Shame it didn't make the list though, it's 30 hours of awesomeness.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Dishonored and Torchlight II made the list, so that's cool.

No Top Ten list of 2012 is complete without at least a mention of Telltales The Walking Dead imo.

Also, Guild Wars 2 at number 1. I laughed so hard I cried.

Jorec:
>Little Big Planet

Huh?

They're either talking about LittleBigPlanet Karting, or LittleBigPlanet Vita. My money's on the latter.

Andy Chalk:
snip

Good god Andy, I've seen you put up like 15 articles in the last two days. Is the whole office on vacation? Did susan go on a bender and fire everyone? Whats going on?!

carlh267:

Jorec:
>Little Big Planet

Huh?

They're either talking about LittleBigPlanet Karting, or LittleBigPlanet Vita. My money's on the latter.

I didn't even know there was a kart racer of LBP.

And the vita version? Does that really count, it's a port right?

Glad to see Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles get recognition, they totally deserve it.

No Counter-Strike: Global Offensive? Utter madness! And why is Halo 4 on the list? It's a good game, certainly better than some previous entries, but nothing special; its strongest quality is pure hype.

P.S. Thanks

What the fuck is Papo & Yo?

Jorec:

carlh267:

Jorec:
>Little Big Planet

Huh?

I didn't even know there was a kart racer of LBP.

And the vita version? Does that really count, it's a port right?

Yeah, the Karting game was made by United Front Games, the same guys who made Modnation Racers. And the Vita Version isn't strictly a port, as it added some new functionality to use the touchscreen and the gyroscope and whatnot. Didn't pay too much attention to it, seeing as the Vita hasn't exactly grabbed my interest.

I'm glad some of these games made it on (especially Guild Wars 2 as #1; I enjoyed it immensely and put together quite well). I was surprised to see Halo 4 only as number 9 (I'm not a player myself), as I thought it would've made closer to 3 or 4. I can see the positions of Dishonoured and AC3.

And then Papo & Yo. I've never heard of it.

Fappy:

And yet you didn't make the list, Time's writer did. And the game is worthy of the #1...not only worthy of, but also winner of it as well.

shintakie10:
No Top Ten list of 2012 is complete without at least a mention of Telltales The Walking Dead imo.

Laugh all you want, but you're only laughing at your own opinion. Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO to release all year, and honestly the best game to release all year. Content vs. value, for $60 and without a subscription it's the best valued game because of how much there is for players to do within it.

It's a weird one. there certainly are games on that list that deserve to be there, possibly in those very positions - Guild Wars 2 and Dishonored for example - but the only thing Halo did right was storytelling in its singleplayer, but as a "halo game" it's totally crap.

But top 10's are subject to opinion. Can't shoot a guy for his top 10... though games prior to November 2011 shouldn't be in the 2012 top 10 list.

Andy Chalk:
Should a PS Vita release of a four-year-old game take precedence over, say, an experimental success like Dear Esther?

I've never played any of the LBP games, but the reviews I've read say that LBP Vita isn't just a handheld remake of one of the existing games. Dear Esther was originally published in 2008 as a mod, and although the commercial release was this year, it was just a refinement of something that already was in the hands of the public.

Deathfish15:
snip

Apparently it doesn't have the best fans though.

OT: Frankly none of these games interest me all that much. Not sure what I would have in their place, but it certainly would not resemble this. *shrug* opinions be opinions.

Of those, I only played (and continue to play) Torchlight 2. So, I guess, to me that list should look a little different. Of course, I'd add Wrath of the Lamb and Faster Than Light to it also.

Hey ME3 did not make the list!

I am surprised that XCOM got on there though, I like it a lot but I am still surprised it made top 10 for such a big magazine.

Guild Wars 2 really deserves it. It's an amazing game that made me like and play an MMO.

Time may not be an authority on videogames, but it's nice to see a relatively uncorrupt list once in a while that doesn't just list the games with the most advertising money pumped into the publication.

Yay for TL2 making the list :D I've had a lot of fun with that game.

I find it criminal that Journey didn't make that top ten and just the honorable mention, but that's just me.

I notice someone else mentioned this but come on, Little Big Planet?! I concede that the Vita has a new one and there's a cart racer as well but the way it's presented here suggests Time only just found out about a game from 2008. Otherwise...eh, I've got nothing. Still need to grab a copy of Xenoblade but I just hate going into Gamestop.

I'm so glad that ME3 didn't make the list. Its a good game (mostly), but there is just so many missteps and forced paths; it wasn't a good game to what ME1 and ME2 lined up for ME3 to follow. And the ending... you know Bioware(EA) missed hard with their flagship game can't even get into a decent top ten list.

Deathfish15:

Fappy:

And yet you didn't make the list, Time's writer did. And the game is worthy of the #1...not only worthy of, but also winner of it as well.

shintakie10:

Laugh all you want, but you're only laughing at your own opinion. Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO to release all year, and honestly the best game to release all year. Content vs. value, for $60 and without a subscription it's the best valued game because of how much there is for players to do within it.

Your post reeks of fandom, it's okay to like the game and think it's the best but don't argue it as an objective fact. There were a lot of problems with Guild Wars 2, the revolutionary combat while good when you were soloing, but completely falls apart when you're put in a group situation. dungeons were horrendously designed, and the game get's really buggy after level 60. And I like Guild Wars 2 but even I don't think it deserves number 1, it loses focus pretty quickly and the pve starts get really boring after 30 levels. All it's really good for is the pvp.

Andy Chalk:

6. Papo & Yo

Wow, after seeing a couple of gameplay vids I am quite impressed. How come it didn't received more publicity from the game journalist?

Seems like a well made puzzle game with tons of artistic work behind it. Would have tought it was right up the escapist readers and writers alley.

Well at least they did not try to compare Borderlands 2 with Modern Fucking Warfare.

This list is reasonable. More than reasonable, actually.

10. Torchlight 2
9. Halo 4 (-No)
8. LittleBigPlanet (-No)
7. The Last Story
6. Papo & Yo (-No)
5. Assassin's Creed III
4. Dishonored
3. XCom: Enemy Unknown
2. Xenoblade Chronicles (-No)
1. Guild Wars 2

Mass Effect 3 should be here, The Walking Dead as well. No Journey either or Borderlands 2? For shame.

This list is severely lacking in Mass Effect 3, Journey, and Borderlands 2.
Spec Ops: The Line probably deserves a spot from what I've been hearing/reading, but having not played it (yet) I don't really feel comfortable saying so.

I don't agree with a couple of their choices because they're games that didn't do anything 'interesting' (Assassin's Creed and Halo are two). And I'm pretty sure Little Big Planet wasn't released this year.

I would have liked for them to opt less for "This game had more money therefor it's the better game" and would prefer "this game brought something new to the table, making it superior to the others"

Andrewtheeviscerator:

Your post reeks of fandom, it's okay to like the game and think it's the best but don't argue it as an objective fact.

As far as this list is concerned, it is an objective fact. They said it's #1 and the other two people slammed it. He's supporting it, why not quote the other two and talk about how they look troll-y? Because all they said was that it didn't deserve it with no support whatsoever.

better than any list gamespot or ign has made in the last 15 years. we can argue our opinions but overall it is a solid title list considering the year we have had. nothing on there is totally out of left field. good job time.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here