Time Lists Top Ten Videogames of 2012

Pages PREV 1 2 3

They could have put any game other than Mass Effect 3 in there and I would have been fine with it. Man did that game suck hard with vengeance.

Pretty impressive to see Torchlight II on that list. Seeing as how the list isn't entirely composed of the games that made the most money this year it appears that someone at Time at least has their heads on their shoulders when it comes to games.

Disappointing that Spec Ops: The Line was omitted... at least Dishonored is on there....

mParadox:
No no no, Far Cry 3 is sand box sneaking at its finest.

Seriously, best implementation of stealth mechanics I've seen in a first person game thus far.

Shame it didn't make the list though, it's 30 hours of awesomeness.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Dishonored and Torchlight II made the list, so that's cool.

I agree that the stealth is really good but best in a first person game, have you never played thief? Unless you meant first person AND sandbox, in that case yes, I agree.

I guess through best thing about the list is that it exists and is not stuffed with super obscure artsy games

I agree with you on Mass Effect 3, Journey, and Diablo 3.

But... With Minecraft and Dear Esther, it's hard to judge them as THIS year's games because they've been around for a while. Yes, Dear Esther got an independent release this year, but it's been a mod for a while. Yes, Minecraft was released for 360 this year, but the official PC and mobile versions came out last year, plus, the game has been around for a couple of years in beta, alpha, and indev.

No Journey, well they did get a Grammy Nomination... yup, they're obviously too cool for Time.
Also Spec Ops The Line isn't on there. They probably saw the box art and stayed away from it.
Way to be specific with which LittleBigPlanet...

Woo Guild Wars 2!!! So happy to see ANet get some recognition =D

Spec Ops: The Line should have been second.

xedobubble:
Glad to see Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles get recognition, they totally deserve it.

My thoughts exactly :)
And if halo 4 is anything like the Halo games I've played before (Halo 1 and 2) but done with thought of todays technology then I'd say that deserves a spot there also. Other than that I don't really know what games I'd throw into that list.

Why the hell is one of the best game of this year, hell of all time not on the list????!!!!!!
Call of du.... hahaha just jking

Yh walking dead was great, great story and characters, but still annoyed that nearly all your decisions past episode 1 doesn't matter because no matter what you do it'll just end the same. Still F off from them killing off suddenly a character I grew to really like at the roadside n didn't even bury them! Oh spoilers...

Mass effect 3 deserves a mention, ending was bad but I really enjoyed most of the game apart from the final section on Earth. ME3 multiplayer is very good also, and continuely supported with new maps, weapons, characters, enemies and game balances every week

Well, I was pleasantly surprised and yet...confused. I mean, I gotta admit I was expecting to see CoD, Halo, Borderlands 2, AC3, Madden and FIFA there. But...that's better?

Although...Papo y Yo? Come on, half of the people here don't even know the game and really, it isn't THAT amazing compared to, let's say, Journey? And hey, I'm happy for Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story but I had the impression The Last Story didn't do that well in the US and honestly, I haven't seen a lot of people buy it. But maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

I dunno, I'm all up for unpredictable lists but this one confuses me.

Far Cry 3 came out the same day (in North America) Time published the article, its probably past a cutoff.

I don't necessarily know what I'd put in there place, but Halo 4 and AC3 are the ones that don't seem well-fitted. (Probably torchlight 2 too, but I find the shot at Diablo amusing)

I'm just happy to see X-Com so high up. My sneaking suspicion is that it will be Yahtzee's game of the year.

Minecraft didn't even come out last year and it was on everyone's lists, why would it be on a 2012 list? The 360 release?

LittleBigPlanet is a sore point of contention, though, on that note. Its not hard to rationalize why Mass Effect 3 didn't it make it to that list, though. Or really anything.

I'm so happy that ME3 didn't make it into the list. Seriously that game was bad and it wasn't just the last 10 minutes. It was the gameplay in general that sucked - repetitive and annoying are the words I'd use to describe the gameplay. Diablo 3 didn't deserve to be in the list neither.

Honestly I think Natural Selection 2 deserved a place there. That game is awesome. Combining strategy and FPS on a really good level and actually supporting and pushing teamplay. In addition it looks good and isn't expensive.

Not my top 10 obviously, but just to support Dishonored... when's the last time you saw better sandbox sneaking? It's my favourite genre and I haven't seen it outside Bethesda games much in a long time.

What is this garbage? BL2 is on the top[if not number 1] on pretty much every GOTY poll/list and its not even mentioned here? And what the hell is papo & yo?

Really? No Mass Effect 3? I mean, Jesus, ending controversy aside, it's one of the best game series I've ever played. What the actual fuck.

Imbechile:
I take it you haven't played Thief?

On topic: Actually not a bad list.

teebeeohh:
I agree that the stealth is really good but best in a first person game, have you never played thief? Unless you meant first person AND sandbox, in that case yes, I agree.

Sandbox first person. I meant that. >.> And since I haven't played the Thief series, I can't really say. Sadly.

And another thing about the list. No Borderlands 2?! I mean, Handsome Jack alone is a good enough reason to be on that list. The writing of that game was amazing! D:

I was certainly expecting Black Ops 2 to be on here. Mostly cause you know.... it's Black Ops 2.

trty00:

elilupe:
Huh. That's an..interesting list, to say the least. It's better than most lists so far, and it seems like a very personal list at that.

Isn't that what all top 10's are?

Well yeah, but, what with this being Time magazine, I would expect a list that was voted on by the staff or readers, while the items on this list all seem like they were picked by one person. Not a bad thing, just interesting.

Seems like a decent list. I'd have probably put GW2 as my number one as well, even just for its vale to money ratio, let alone me finding it to be an absolute blast to play. Some of the other games on the list seem weird, like some have mentioned (LittleBigPlanet? I know they're talking about one of the spinoffs but still, odd choice). But overall it seems like a list with some genuine interest in the games on it, and not some "Halo 4 is the best game all year, also, this list is brought to you by...Halo 4! Live the adventure!" or some crap. So good on you Time, you made a list that didn't bring out immediate rage among gamers, quite a feat.

Well, Papo and Yo was mediocre at best, and the presence of Little Big Planet just seems like some kind of practical joke, but aside from that I guess opionions are opinions.

Though Max Payne 3 should totally be on there...

in regards to Papo y Yo. Too many people saying : I haven't heard of it so shouldn't be on a list. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't good or that other people didn't love the shit out of it. I didn't actually play it but watched my housemate play it through. Neither of us had any prior knowledge of the metaphor driving the game, so going in blind the message wasn't really all that heavy handed at all. I can see how it would appear to be if you knew what it was all culminating in from the get go though.

But, it had unique puzzles and very fresh outlook on what gaming can be and can well see why it would be on someones list.

Another thing:

LBP Vita is NOT A PORT as a few people have clearly pointed out. It is a completely new game, new levels, new story, new everything. Saying it shouldn't be on a list is like saying any sequel shouldn't be on the list. And i haven't played the LBP Vita, but the original LBP and LBP2 were 2 of the most enjoyable platformers i have ever played, so i don't have any doubts about the new one's quality.

Overall, very solid list put together by someone who actually gives a shit about gaming which in a non-gaming environment such as Time magazine, is an achievement in and of itself. I haven't played all of the games on the list, but from what i've heard and read from others, all the entries here seem justified.

Thank you TIME for a real and well thought out top 10.

Guys, I'm sorry to tell you, but Dear Esther isn't a good game. I find the list to be very reasonable.

Hmm...
I would like to quote Yahtzee concerning the number one game of the year
(yes I'm aware he was talking about WoW when he said it, but it applies to all mumorpuguhs.)
"It not a game its a second job, for idiots. It's an idiot job."

There is just something about an MMO being the game of the year bothers me. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Cool, Guild wars 2 is well deserving of that place. It's simply a well made, extremely detailed and vast game. Most games you could finish and see everything within 20 hours tops, in GW2 you wont have even seen a fraction of what one aspect of the game is about. Easily my personal game of 2012 by miles.

Glad a normally 'non-gaming' publication also didn't just go 'oh, CoD is popular, we'll put that #1' as well :D

Ethan Bewley:
Hmm...
(yes I'm aware he was talking about WoW when he said it, but it applies to all mumorpuguhs.)

There is just something about an MMO being the game of the year bothers me. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Maybe you should try playing it then rather than thinking it's just WoW for superficial reasons :P It's like saying every RTS is starcraft, or every shooter is CoD, or every RPG is final fantasy :D

The Comfy Chair:
Cool, Guild wars 2 is well deserving of that place. It's simply a well made, extremely detailed and vast game. Most games you could finish and see everything within 20 hours tops, in GW2 you wont have even seen a fraction of what one aspect of the game is about. Easily my personal game of 2012 by miles.

Glad a normally 'non-gaming' publication also didn't just go 'oh, CoD is popular, we'll put that #1' as well :D

Ethan Bewley:
Hmm...

Maybe you should try playing it then rather than thinking it's just WoW for superficial reasons :P It's like saying every RTS is starcraft, or every shooter is CoD, or every RPG is final fantasy :D

I guess I just haven't found an MMO that suits me. I would love to get into WoW but the price is simply too high for my blood. If you could recommend a good MMO that is a one time purchase and doesn't require a monthly subscription that would be great.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here