U.S. Congress Opposes United Nations Internet Treaty

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Notsomuch:

Royas:
I'm actually a little stunned. A unanimous vote, across both houses and parties? Is that even possible nowadays?

If you can actually get all of the legislators from both parties to vote against an idea, it must have been so bad an idea that a 5 year old could have seen it.

It's not about good or bad ideas with congress it's about where the money is coming from and where it's going after the fact.

Proof that telecom money flows to BOTH sides of the aisle. They certainly can't give internet control to comcast and verizon if the ITU has it.

"If anyone's going to censor the shit out of the internet, it's going to be us!"

So I guess they learned from SOPA. If you vote for this stuff bad things happen.

Berithil:

THE ENTIRE GOVERNMENT ACTUALLY AGREED ON SOMETHING FOR ONCE!!

(and then a nuke goes off killing the goverment.) Well that was nice while it lasted.

For some reason that is somthing I would expect to happen.

JSF01:

Berithil:

THE ENTIRE GOVERNMENT ACTUALLY AGREED ON SOMETHING FOR ONCE!!

(and then a nuke goes off killing the goverment.) Well that was nice while it lasted.

For some reason that is somthing I would expect to happen.

Hardly surprising.

Democrats vote no because free internet (or the illusion of it anyway) is big amongst their younger voters.
Republicans vote no because they think any agreement with the UN means complete UN dictatorship over the USA with the UN PEacekeepers invading every single village and city in America.

Freezy_Breezy:
What do you mean the American Congress did something good?

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL CONGRESS

My thoughts, basically.

I'd like to have been in the Republicans' heads...Their "Anything Obama is for, we're against" attitude warring with their "The UN is the anti-christ!" shtick.

cricket chirps:
Only time i am ever going to say it:

Proud to be an American *Salutes*

We have more reasons to be ashamed than proud right about now though. a couple of hours of political news or some looking into provisions for the elderly and disabled makes this sort of trivial by comparison.

Though it is good that we have a reason to be proud for a... change.

Politicians from both parties actually agreed on something?

Holy crap! The Mayans were right! These are the end times!

SO...the US Government wanted to control the net with SOPA...but don't want the UN to control it. *Sigh*

Reaper195:
SO...the US Government wanted to control the net with SOPA...but don't want the UN to control it. *Sigh*

If is not them, then no one. I hate that the US is always there to say "FUCK OFF WE DON'T WANT TO" But having the UN giving away control to each country could have been the worst mistake ever. I guess everyone could foresee some countries getting a complete censorship over their people. And everyone knows that if the US doesn't agree, the UN doesn't do shit.

"The word bipartisan means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out" i think George Carlin said it best, maybe its just so they can put the Treaty that serves them best across.

[...]the U.S., which effectively controls the net now[...]

Source please? Because that's one of the most stupid phrases I've ever read.

FelixG:

RicoADF:

cricket chirps:
Only time i am ever going to say it:

Proud to be an American *Salutes*

You realise its out of self interest to keep money and control in the US. It's not to stop censorship.

Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing :P

Let's see how right it is when SOPA tries to come back.... they want to do the same thing as China, heck arguably worse.

RicoADF:

FelixG:

RicoADF:

You realise its out of self interest to keep money and control in the US. It's not to stop censorship.

Let's see how right it is when SOPA tries to come back.... they want to do the same thing as China, heck arguably worse.

And when it comes back it will most likely get shot down again considering 4 times as many shot it down than wanted it.

You act as if it was a close vote

FelixG:

RicoADF:

FelixG:

And when it comes back it will most likely get shot down again considering 4 times as many shot it down than wanted it.

I hope your correct, since as a non American the UN option has appeal as it'd mean the US can't enforce SOPA laws onto other nations, it being upto each nation to police itself like everything else.

TheRightToArmBears:

Cheers America!

Another silly internet control plan foiled... We're safe, until someone comes up with another, inevitably.

Silly video is silly. The only reason the US Congress voted against this treaty is because they don't want to share control of the internet with other countries, they want to take control of it themselves completely. That's the driving force behind SOPA and PIPA, when they were threats, and they're the reason why the US government tried to extradite a UK citizen for commiting apparent internet-based crimes here in the UK despite the fact that the acts committed were never done on US soil, and are breaking absolutely no laws in the UK - basically the same as a country deciding that anyone who breaks their own laws, no matter how silly, are guilty wherever they are in the world. Quite frankly, I'm pleased that the US Congress voted against the treaty, but their motivations and reasons are nowhere near as benign as people seem to think. Look at all angles before making judgement.

Trivun:

TheRightToArmBears:

Cheers America!

Another silly internet control plan foiled... We're safe, until someone comes up with another, inevitably.

Silly video is silly. The only reason the US Congress voted against this treaty is because they don't want to share control of the internet with other countries, they want to take control of it themselves completely. That's the driving force behind SOPA and PIPA, when they were threats, and they're the reason why the US government tried to extradite a UK citizen for commiting apparent internet-based crimes here in the UK despite the fact that the acts committed were never done on US soil, and are breaking absolutely no laws in the UK - basically the same as a country deciding that anyone who breaks their own laws, no matter how silly, are guilty wherever they are in the world. Quite frankly, I'm pleased that the US Congress voted against the treaty, but their motivations and reasons are nowhere near as benign as people seem to think. Look at all angles before making judgement.

I'm actually entirely aware of that. I just wanted to post that video. Because.

RicoADF:

FelixG:

RicoADF:

I hope your correct, since as a non American the UN option has appeal as it'd mean the US can't enforce SOPA laws onto other nations, it being upto each nation to police itself like everything else.

Everyone already does police themselves, look at China, Russia, and North Korea. They police their own internet strictly and censor the fuck out of it.

Hell a week or two ago Syria turned off their internet connection to the world. The UN bit would have had everyone policing everyone else, which allowing Russia and China to police anyone beyond their boarders is just a stupid as hell idea.

This would be less biased if the words "Internet Treaty" were replaced with "Dictatorial SOPA"

Isn't this just the usual anti-UN thing American politics has going? Didn't you guys just oppose some sort of rights-for-handicapped bill the UN put forth as well just to be against the UN?

Still, nice that it seems that it isn't going through, the UN is just as bad as the US government when it comes to Internet freedom.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here