Journey Composer Gets Grammy Nomination

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Journey Composer Gets Grammy Nomination

Austin Wintory's score is the first videogame soundtrack to ever be nominated for the prestigious award.

It's been a pretty good year for Journey composer Austin Wintory. The PlayStation 3-exclusive game was very well received both critically and commercially, and is up for Best Downloadable Game and Best PS3 Game at the Spike Video Game Awards. Wintory's soundtrack has also been nominated for Best Original Score, going up against Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Halo 4 and Max Payne 3, which is nice. But yesterday, he got some bigger news: He's been nominated for a Grammy.

"Well I don't really have words right now .... I just got a Grammy nomination for #JourneyPS3," he announced on Twitter. His work will stand against The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams, The Artist by Ludovic Bource, The Dark Knight Rises by Hans Zimmer, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and Huge by Howard Shore. That's some very impressive company to be in.

The Journey soundtrack is the first full videogame soundtrack to be nominated for a Grammy Award, but it's not actually the first piece of videogame music. That honor goes, somewhat indirectly, to Christopher Tin's "Baba Yetu" from the Civilization IV soundtrack, which actually won the 2010 Grammy for "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)." Even so, it's a huge accomplishment, and yet another sign that videogames have arrived.

The 55th annual Grammy Awards takes place on February 10, 2013.

Source: Grammy.com

Here's hoping it'll be available on Spotify or iTunes. Or that it already is.

Queen Michael:
Here's hoping it'll be available on Spotify or iTunes. Or that it already is.

It's already on iTunes.

Anyway, this is great. A big moment for vide game history. Congrats to Austin Wintory! :D

That's awesome.

Journey has some of the best music I've heard in a game but it's no Persona 4, and I would be ecstatic to see it win a Grammy.

Hell, getting nominated is an achievement all on it's own.

I cross my fingers for Austin Wintory and hope for the best. Now to go get the music on iTunes.

EDIT: My favorite piece

EDIT2: Hey, would you look at that, Mr. Wintory himself commented on this video!

"My friends I am so grateful for your support. This news is so so so surreal but it brings me INFINITE joy to share this Grammy nomination with you all. Journey was always meant for all of you and so it is with the awards "

Definitely deserved the nomination, amazing music.

This is cool! :) Hope he wins, but even if Austin doesn't win it will still be cool.

I would have thought Marty O'Donnell would have secured a nomination for his work on Halo, but I haven't heard the soundtrack for Journey yet, maybe it's even better. Youtube, here I come.

This... is a good day....

I'm trying to think of something more indepth to say, but that's all I've got. We're making it, guys. The Decade of the Gamer is here.

:')

Alright, I'm bringing the champagne, who will grab the glasses?

OT: This is amazing news, Journey was a good experience and the sheer ambience of the music speaks volumes in a good way. It definitely deserves to be up there with the other nominees. Wheter it can beat them, that remains to be seen.

wasn't "Baba Yetu" by Christopher Tin and created to be the theme song for civ 4 the first one to be nominated for a Grammy? it even went on to win one.

edit: derp. didnt finish reading the article

tis a good sign this is. Now to parade this around like its the coming of a new king!

There are no words to describe how excited I am about this. So have a picture instead.

The Journey soundtrack continues to be one of my favorite pieces of music of all time, and I would absolutely love if Wintory won a Grammy for it. He most certainly deserves it. Now I really can't wait for my physical copy of the soundtrack to come in the mail!

i have yet to play Journey even though i own a ps3. well if the soundtrack is that good maybe will by it to listen to while relaxing. and i will get the game sometime before of after Christmas
edit
the sound track is only $5 on itunes. if it is that great and yet so cheap i am defiantly getting it

I just found out that Daft Punk were awarded a Grammy Nomination for their Tron: Legacy soundtrack so I'm not as miffed I might otherwise have been. It's good to see people who do good work being recognized for it.

Just amazing.
I hope more games will be put on display in the future, and this is a great start for that.

Daaaah Whoosh:
I would have thought Marty O'Donnell would have secured a nomination for his work on Halo, but I haven't heard the soundtrack for Journey yet, maybe it's even better. Youtube, here I come.

Personally, per game music tracks that I would listen to more than a few times, are not that many ... Journeys ost however, in its entirety, I would gladly leave on repeat for at least the whole day.

neonsword13-ops:

I think that's probably the favorite piece for most people.

OT: Awesome news, the guy definitely deserves it, his work on Journey was absolutely astounding. Some of the most fitting music I've ever heard, and the way it wove in along with what you were doing is something that I've never seen before in a game.

While I'm happy for him just because he got the nomination, he's going up against some stiff competition. John Williams, Trent Reznor, Hans Zimmer and the guy who put music to a SILENT movie. Seems to me whoever wins, the others just get robbed. XD

even when i havent played the game because its not out for the pc :(, i did listen to some of the tracks and it does sound amazing.
now if they can release the game for the pc, that would be awesome as well.

So so SO happy about this. Utterly well deserved - the soundtrack helps make Journey the emotional experience it is.

I've never played Journey, but this is a pretty cool thing to see happen.

Might be a gateway into video games being widely accepted by the media as something more than a neat tool to blame shooting sprees on.

This has made me downright giddy! Austin Wintory definitely deserves it! Very few games haunt me like Journey did, and the soundtrack haunts me just as much as my experiences with the game itself! This is one of the few soundtracks that I will just sit down and listen to in its entirety. The whole soundtrack is absolutely solid, with some of my favorites being Nadir (it just establishes the tone of the whole soundtrack as well as the game as a whole), Atonement, and Apotheosis (no surprise).

I've had Atonement stuck in my head lately, so I kinda feel like posting it.

and Grammy snubs Justin Bieber!

I think it'll be a good year.

A nomination well deserved.

Bathe in the sheer aural glory. Bathe in it!

GOD DAMMIT I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME.

But yeah, this is incredible news. Just goes to show how far games have come in being accepted by others as an art form.

Wow, no longer are we held by the "video games are for kids" leash. It was a long tough road but this culture may finally be viewed to be on par with the other arts like film and music.

Now Journey, just the fact that it got a nomination. Yes. Congrats Austin, you damn well deserved it, heres hoping you win the Grammy.

Good for him. No seriously, fucking good for him. Even if he doesn't win he got a nomination. A nomination. For a video game score. That never fucking happens.

Even if he doesn't win he still does.

Edit: That never fucking happens, except it does for Civ IV. My point still stands nonetheless.

It was time that games got recognition in that sort of ceremony. It is late but it is better than nothing

QUICK! Someone post that gif with the guy in black and white clapping at something!

I'm glad Journey was considered. The music is probably the one thing that makes Journey so awesome. yes, the game overall is great but can you imagine Journey without the music? It just wouldn't be as amazing.

Andy Chalk:
videogames have arrived.

All hands on deck!

Guess I should get the OST then. I listen to videogame soundtracks all the time. Can't miss one that some old people said is good.

Well he fucking deserves it.
God damn Journey was amazing. Without the music... it would still be damn good, but nowhere near as good.

This pleases me immensely.

Without the soundtrack, Journey would just be a very pretty platformer.

With it?

With it, it's a goddamn symphony in motion.

Soundtracks by John Williams and Hans Zimmer got nominated to? The prestige of being nominated for such an award not withstanding, this guy is being nominated against legends in the field. To even know that your work is good enough to stand next to such individuals would be, in my opinion, its own honor.

Beautiful End:
QUICK! Someone post that gif with the guy in black and white clapping at something!

I'm glad Journey was considered. The music is probably the one thing that makes Journey so awesome. yes, the game overall is great but can you imagine Journey without the music? It just wouldn't be as amazing.

Just...fantastic! That's all I can say really. Video games have finally grown up and people finally will admit that it an be seriously taken as an artistic medium *sob*

This is great news, and it couldn't have happened to a better artist, even if he doesn't win the fact that his work is recognized among such greats and a living legend like Mr. Williams is absolutely astounding.

Congratulations Mr. Wintory on a well deserved nomination, and may it help launch a larger career so more people can hear the music of true artists.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here