Nintendo Sells 425,000 Wii U Systems in Seven Days

Nintendo Sells 425,000 Wii U Systems in Seven Days

With 243,000 units sold, New Super Mario Bros. U has a 60% attach rate to Nintendo's latest console.

November was a big month for Nintendo; the publisher launched its new console, the Wii U, while Black Friday deals helped boost sales of the Wii, 3DS, and DS systems. As a result, Nintendo sold 1.75 million hardware units in the United States last month, a decent chunk of which can be attributed to the Wii U. The new console moved 425,000 units in its first seven days, which is slightly higher than the original estimate of 400,000. Not about to be left behind, 420,000 Wiis were sold during the entire month of November.

While Nintendo's consoles certainly weren't slacking in the sales department, handhelds actually made up more than half of its November hardware sales. The 3DS had impressive sales of 540,000 units, bringing its lifetime total to nearly 6.5 million. The DS, in its amazing 97th month on the market, still moved 370,000 units, and according to Nintendo "will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days."

Nintendo didn't release much software sales data in its press release, but it did mention New Super Mario Bros. U, which sold 243,000 units in its first week--an attach rate of 60% for customers also purchasing Wii U systems. Meanwhile, Mario Kart 7 became the second Nintendo 3DS title to sell two million copies in the United States.

The Wii U's unit sales don't quite match up to the Wii's seven-day sales after its 2006 launch; Nintendo sold 475,000 during that period. Nintendo of America Executive Vice President Scott Moffitt was happy with the results, however, reiterating that the Wii U "is essentially sold out at retail." Whether the console retains its "status as the 'must-have' product," as Moffitt describes it, throughout the holiday season and beyond remains to be seen.

What happened to that predicted lack of interest? Huh? Half a million in 7 days?
Now that's what I call interest.

INB4 "But wait, it will fail. Just give it time."

Not surprised, people will buy any crap these days.

juyunseen:
What happened to that predicted lack of interest? Huh? Half a million in 7 days?

Well considering the 3DS sold nearly 400,000 units in its first week and the vita sold 325,000 units don't read too much into this.

mad825:

yeah crap: a solid, stable company. putting out a superior product to their competitors, and moving all inventory to a core market well within their own internal projections.

yup sounds like crap to me.

though I think your statement is more crap then your intended message of uninformed hatred.

I never grow tired of the predictions of Nintendo's death.

Snarky, smart-mouthed internet denizens have been saying it'll come any day now for about two decades. It's right up there along with "PC gaming is dead".

gardian06:
yeah crap: a solid, stable company. putting out a superior product to their competitors, and moving all inventory to a core market well within their own internal projections.

Just like diet pills and Apple products.

mad825:

Have you played it for an extensive amount of time (more than 15 hours to get a good view of the product), viewing each of its features, testing them, using them in a normal environment? No?

Don't speak then.

OT: Good for Nintendo.

mad825:

A bit too early to make such drastic judgements, eh?

CrossLOPER:

gardian06:

Just like diet pills and Apple products.

really I didn't know that Nintendo was marketing to peoples deep rooted feelings of inferiority, and self-deprecation, or even to the "only the cool people have this" crowd I thought they were just marketing to "here is an innovative product that is better then the competition" might have to go check their advertising....

Back. WRONG

do you even know what the system can do. besides what your own undercurrent of misinformation tells you? Do you own a Kinnect because something tells me you do?

captcha: nitty gritty
don't judge me captcha for bringing facts into this

Oh god, please be a massive success, it will be hilarious to see what that fool Pachter says after.

"The Wii got lucky" he says, go back into your hole Pachter! Just admit you were wrong!

TizzytheTormentor:
Oh god, please be a massive success, it will be hilarious to see what that fool Pachter says after.

"The Wii got lucky" he says, go back into your hole Pachter! Just admit you were wrong!

I already love my Wii U and we don't even have any games for it yet. I use its universal remote feature and it makes me feel like I'm on star trek with a datapad. It's so cool! I can't wait to get some games for it. Think that's the only negative I can see with the Wii U at this moment in time. There aren't very many interesting games for it. It's not too much of a problem for me, as I can hold myself over with all the Wii Games I missed because my Wii broke.

juyunseen:

And it only took one more post to get more or less that way.

I should just ignore nintendo related topics on this forum.

kortin:
I use its universal remote feature and it makes me feel like I'm on star trek with a datapad. It's so cool! I can't wait to get some games for it. Think that's the only negative I can see with the Wii U at this moment in time. There aren't very many interesting games for it. It's not too much of a problem for me, as I can hold myself over with all the Wii Games I missed because my Wii broke.

I like the fact i can browse the communities(and reply/post)and the eshop with only the gamepad. For games i still use my tv but for those 2 things i just use the gamepad.

We all also have to keep in mind the Wii U will launch in Japan tomorrow, so the launch is not even done yet. If this keeps up it may sell 1 Million units plus by the end of January, maybe even December.

gardian06:

do you even know what the system can do. besides what your own undercurrent of misinformation tells you? Do you own a Kinnect because something tells me you do?

My misinformant informs me that this superior product has a baseline of 8GB of storage.

CrossLOPER:

gardian06:

My misinformant informs me that this superior product has a baseline of 8GB of storage.

oh look you read the headlines, but you probably forgot (the real information) that for a mere $20 dollars you can multiply that number 10 fold, and if your only using it for downloadable game (which are considerably small) then you don't need a TB drive (Which some un-named companies still don't think you need), but it can still support. so your point will only receive a minor: So....

Considering that the Wii U hasn't even launched in Japan yet, those numbers are very good.

Part of why it doesn't match the Wii's opening 7 day sales is simply because Nintendo haven't been able to get as much stock to retailers this time round. The Wii was easy and cheap to produce, meaning they could ship large quantities of them at once to retailers. The Wii U, by all accounts, is comparatively more advanced and expensive to produce, hence why they haven't shipped as many to retailers. The only way they'd be able to do that is if they go the initial 360 route, and ship stuff without doing basic product quality testing.

The DS, in its amazing 97th month on the market, still moved 370,000 units, and according to Nintendo "will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days."

Pretty sure there's a 1 missing from in front of that 53 million. According to this tally, the Nintendo DS has sold 152.5 million units in total since launch.

1: Not too bad considering it's only been released in one region. I knew between market ignorance and just lack of supply, it would't quite hit Wii levels of sales, but that's still a good number, and those numbers will likely keep up for the holidays.

2: Just got mine recently. Once that godawful set-up was done, it's the most fun I've had on a console in ages. Miiverse is surprisingly fun to check out (Rabbids Land in particular has been a barrel of laughs.), the Gamepad is an amazing remote, even better considering I lost my old one, and Off-TV play for New Super Mario Bros U is fucking amazing. I wish the system all the luck in the world.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Considering that the Wii U hasn't even launched in Japan yet, those numbers are very good.

Part of why it doesn't match the Wii's opening 7 day sales is simply because Nintendo haven't been able to get as much stock to retailers this time round. The Wii was easy and cheap to produce, meaning they could ship large quantities of them at once to retailers. The Wii U, by all accounts, is comparatively more advanced and expensive to produce, hence why they haven't shipped as many to retailers. The only way they'd be able to do that is if they go the initial 360 route, and ship stuff without doing basic product quality testing.

The DS, in its amazing 97th month on the market, still moved 370,000 units, and according to Nintendo "will cross 53 million units sold life to date in the next few days."

Pretty sure there's a 1 missing from in front of that 53 million. According to this tally, the Nintendo DS has sold 152.5 million units in total since launch.

Do you know how many PS2 were sold? I'd appreciate an actualized number.
Best I could find is this http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2 153 million as of march 31

Anoni Mus:

Best I could find is this http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_2 153 million as of march 31

...what? What the frell have PS2's got to do with anything? The article quoted a sales number regarding the DS which was wrong. I simply wanted to point out the mistake. What have PS2 sales to do with the topic at hand?

Mr. Omega:
Miiverse is surprisingly fun to check out (Rabbids Land in particular has been a barrel of laughs.), the Gamepad is an amazing remote, even better considering I lost my old one, and Off-TV play for New Super Mario Bros U is fucking amazing. I wish the system all the luck in the world.

I am pleasantly surprised at how friendly the people in miiverse are. Also the rumor that it would take 30 between typing and posted is so not true.(things can get deleted though). So yeah I love browsing miiverse (some people are great at art as well O.O)

gardian06:
oh look you read the headlines, but you probably forgot (the real information) that for a mere $20 dollars you can multiply that number 10 fold, and if your only using it for downloadable game (which are considerably small) then you don't need a TB drive (Which some un-named companies still don't think you need), but it can still support. so your point will only receive a minor: So....

It's still really lame.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Anoni Mus:

...what? What the frell have PS2's got to do with anything? The article quoted a sales number regarding the DS which was wrong. I simply wanted to point out the mistake. What have PS2 sales to do with the topic at hand?

lol, I wasn't asking as a form of argument, I agree with you, I was jut curious because I wanted to know which console sold more.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here