Capcom Unveils Street Fighter X Mega Man This December

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Capcom Unveils Street Fighter X Mega Man This December

This free, PC-exclusive, fan-made crossover will feature eight original Street Fighter-themed levels and bosses.

Franchise crossovers are nothing new in the videogame space, especially where Street Fighter is concerned. Just this year, in fact, we saw Street Fighter X Tekken blend two iconic fighting franchises into a serious smash-fest. This wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, but Street Fighter X Mega Man takes something of a different approach. Instead of melding two fighting games, they've taken the gameplay of the classic platformer, and added levels and bosses designed based on the fighting game. You won't be facing down Ryu with an aging Dr. Wily, instead you'll be tossed into an 8-bit, two dimensional world based on the Street Fighter universe.

Fan and Singapore native, Seow Zong Hui, also known as "Sonic," was behind this creative endeavor, with support and direction provided by Capcom. As you may have guessed from the video, the game will feature Mega Man blasting his way across Street Fighter-themed levels, and facing down some of the most recognizable characters from the Street Fighter games. From the looks of the preview video, it seems our old friend Mega Man will be picking up special moves from each of the Street Fighter characters he defeats, as he is wont to do, giving him eight new weapons to work with through the story. While the game was created by "Sonic," the soundtrack was created by "A_Rival," Luke Esquivel, with some incredible crossover musical themes.

Street Fighter X Mega Man will be available as a free download from Capcom's official website on December 17, and I, for one, can hardly wait.

Super cool.

You see Sega? This is the support you should have given to Streets of Rage remake.

I...WHAAAA.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!

THISISTHEDEFINITIONOFTOTALINSANITYWHATTHEHECKISTHIS?!?!

0_o This isn't april fools today, right?

......My gosh...I'll have to make sure I give this a shot.

Oh. Hell. Yes.

I would've never thought to put those two games together, but I'm glad someone did! :D

That looks awesome! I'll try anything Mega Man, and a free new classic style game? Count me in!

It's even more awesome that Capcom is sponsoring this, especially given how they've been treating Mega Man as of late. More game companies should show this kind of support for fan works like this.

Holy Shit, Megaman has Aegis Reflector, RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Also, see Rose and Rolento? Ain't just gonna be the original 8.
Still, I love me some 'Gief so he better be in it!

Speaking of 8-bit Music

Capcom, okay it seems you haven't given up on Megaman so do this: make Megaman Legends 3 dammit! I know that many gamers, like me, would forgive you for some of the crap you've pulled.

Not a huge MM fan, but I am a huge SF fan, plus the price is right, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it goes live.

Also, such an awesome show of fan support by Capcom. Some companies *coughSquarecough* could learn from this instead of just throwing down cease and desists.

Yeah they are "supporting" the fan efforts. A sugar coated version of saying we could shut it down but wanted to look cute to our fans and we are too lazy to put any kind of effort into our series outside of crappy ios games with rehashed art assets and sprites.

Really cool of Capcom not to send a C&D. Kudos.

Hell... with Ubisoft dropping their always online DRM and patching FC3 while making sure a user-made dll hack still works... I'm feeling... warmth inside of me...

bafrali:
Yeah they are "supporting" the fan efforts. A sugar coated version of saying we could shut it down but wanted to look cute to our fans and we are too lazy to put any kind of effort into our series outside of crappy ios games with rehashed art assets and sprites.

Well, there're hosting it on their servers, so, I guess it's some sort of support, eh? :P

But yeah, I get where you're coming from.

"oh look, a fan is making a free game with our IP, should we send in the lawyers? or just host it for free marketing and try and sell more of the 40 games"

This apparently took the AAA market years (bar Valve, iirc Left for dead 8bit is still about) to work out, still Kudos for Capcom.

Edit

bafrali:

They saw someone use their IP and rather than pulling a Nintendo they decide to host the guy at the cost of letting them advertise, Not like they stabbed a baby.

Danial:
"oh look, a fan is making a free game with our IP, should we send in the lawyers? or just host it for free marketing and try and sell more of the 40 games"

This apparently took the AAA market years (bar Valve, iirc Left for dead 8bit is still about) to work out, still Kudos for Capcom.

Edit

bafrali:

They saw someone use their IP and rather than pulling a Nintendo they decide to host the guy at the cost of letting them advertise, Not like they stabbed a baby.

It is just the cynic in me that activates whenever the word Capcom is passed being a megaman fan. It is harmless enough I guess.

bafrali:

Yep, because not shutting it down is equivalent to working with the creator, creating trailers for it and promoting it at their premier event of the year as well as getting the word out to major websites.

StriderShinryu:

bafrali:

Yep, because not shutting it down is equivalent to working with the creator, creating trailers for it and promoting it at their premier event of the year as well as getting the word out to major websites.

Capcom working with the fans to create a megaman game? Yeah this could never go wrong.

Forgive me if I am feeling skeptical about it.

bafrali:

StriderShinryu:

bafrali:

Capcom working with the fans to create a game in megaman series? Yeah this could never go wrong.

Forgive me if I am feeling skeptical about it.

This.

Capcom swept Megaman Universe and Megaman Legends 3 under the rug with little to no dignity.

This is just their way of saying "Look! We haven't forgotten about Megaman, even though we didn't make this game" so as to placate the fanbase, even though we're past that.

This looks cool, but Capcom themselves will have to make a sweet Megaman title before they'll earn back any measure of loyalty from me.

Sheo_Dagana:
snip

Truly spoken my friend. What is even sadder that they used to be one of my favourite developers. Now they are just Japan's EA.

Realy? I thought I remembered hearing that Crapcom was assuring the fans that they hadn't forgotten Megaman and something big was coming in December, and we get this? The fact that they cant be arsed to even make a new game, and instead chose to not C&D a fan game for the good PR just proves they really don't give a shit about Megaman anymore.

CAPCHA: laser beams.
ahh I can imagine them, raining down on Capcom HQ

So this goes live, but MML3 goes dead?

Capcom...hump!

Big Mega Man fan here, will definitely checking it out. Being free is also a big plus!

It's really a fan made game...you can tell Capcom didn't make it because it's free

meh,
would rather have megaman legends and megaman online

and capcom has treated me like shite with ninja theory in regards to dmc
and i am not even going to get into this on disk crap

they are lucky its free

Not a fan of Street Fighter but... well... hey it's Mega Man! So I'm not gonna complain, especially since it's free. I'll defiantly be checking this one out. It's nice to see people haven't forgotten Mega Man yet, even though we haven't seen any new official games in a while.

Wait... Capcom is giving something away for free?

First congress unanimously agreeing on something and now this... the Mayans really were right.

OT: Honestly though, without Keiji Inafune in the company I can't see anything good in the future for Mega Man games(if it even has a future). I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom was already working on some kind of DMC style reboot for the franchise.

This game does look pretty cool though. Hopefully they'll also endorse that fan game Megaman X: Corrupted. I've been waiting for that one eagerly for a while.

This is glorious. I need new pantaloons because of this video.

Wait... Megaman... Street Fighter... 8 bits... free... PC exclusive... made by fans... fully endorsed by Capcom... free...

So the only way Capcom will give any love to Megaman is if they don't have to pay any money to do it? Screw you, Capcom.

SachielOne:
So the only way Capcom will give any love to Megaman is if they don't have to pay any money to do it? Screw you, Capcom.

Yep. Only Capcom would pull such bullshit.
I can't help but feel this all an elaborate trap..

This looks quite interesting, I'm actually pretty excited to try this out. Also interesting is the last paragraph in the article: "As for more MM25 news... stay tuned. [...] we have stuff to share that day and through 2013. We know it's been a hard year for Mega Man fans, but I hope this proves our love and intent to the series, and that we have not heard the last of the little guy."

I'm holding you to that, Capcom. This is your last chance.

PS: On a semi-related note (sorry, can't seem to submit a tip anymore):

>Walk through wall
>Protoman
>Raging Demon
>Akuma

A man can dream. Or maybe each stage can have a hidden boss, but beating one means next time it'll be a harder one following a progression likelike Protoman -> Bass -> Treble/Bass -> Akuma -> Oni -> ... Treble/Oni?

What does the boss lineup look like? Ryu, Dhalsim, Viper, Rose, Blanka, Chun-li, Rolento, presumably Seth but maybe not a normal boss? That's one or two short of the usual eight. Gotta have Bison (hat) in there somewhere.

Hell yes. I was never a Street Fighter fan, but Megaman?! And for free? I'll get it, sure!

Well, colour me interested.

You're not forgiven yet, Capcom, so don't screw this up.

This pretty awesome. Cynics be damned, or am I the only one that still remembers the words "cease and desist" as being the standard response to this sort of thing in the past. Hell, I still remember the legal threats surrounding the Dragonball Z mod for Quake III.

Yeah, Capcom cancelled Megaman Legends 3 and that sucks. You know what? I don't care. I can hate them for that and thank for this and Dragon's Dogma at the same time.

Yeah, this is one where if I decide to get it it will be through torrent just so I don't have to give the Crapcom servers numbers.

Diablo1099:
Holy Shit, Megaman has Aegis Reflector, RUN FOR THE HILLS!

Also, see Rose and Rolento? Ain't just gonna be the original 8.
Still, I love me some 'Gief so he better be in it!

Speaking of 8-bit Music

That would be glorious. Gief's one of my favorites.

PILEDRIVE ALL OF THE THINGS.

...seriously...imagine Mega Man doing a Spinning Piledriver on his enemies.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here