Dark Souls II Is Coming to Ruin Your Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dark Souls II Is Coming to Ruin Your Day

Prepare to die again on 360, PS3 and PC.

If you're not one of the hundreds of journalists contractually obliged to cringe through the entirety of the Spike VGAs, you might have missed the trailer for Dark Souls II. Well, here it is. It's got everything you'd expect; a lonesome knight, dragons (both of the dead and living varieties), oppressive architecture, beautiful vistas and a generous helping of violence.

According to a press release from Namco Bandai, the game is headed to 360, PS3 and PC, though there's no mention of a potential release window. While the title might imply the game will be set in the same universe as Dark Souls, the press release states the game will feature an "entirely new story." Though it's probably safe to bet that perennial, untrustworthy scumbag, Patches, will make an appearance.

The only concrete information we have on the game thus far is that it'll be returning to the server-based multiplayer system used in Demon's Souls. That sounds like good news, considering the latency and connection issues that plagued Dark Soul's multiplayer content.

"This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series," says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. "The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey."

Source: Namco Bandai via The Spike VGAS

Server based MP. Good.

Fingers crossed on another brilliant installment

All in all i just hope that FromSoft can ship everything they want to this time.

And assuming that covenants are also making a return, i should expect that they all have a clear function and that it works as intended.

And thats all im going to say. For now.

My hopes:
- A better PC port
- A better auto camera when locking on.
I don't want the fucking camera to be glued to the enemies ass or inside a pillar/wall/me
- Better "stealth"
I don't mean anything like Thief or Dishonored. I just want a dedicated stealth button or walking with less sounds on no/light armor. Seriously, I'm a Thief class, ultra light armor, dagger. I walk slowly towards the regular skeleton to backstab him and he turns around while I'm not even in attack range.
- Better lightning
I know it's supposed to be dark and edgy, but I don't want to not be able to see a thing when outside during the night with a clear sky. Anyone who has been outside the city at night with a clear sky knows that you can see extremely well and far.
- Better explanation of what items do
Yeah I know that a ring of protection boosts my protection. But by how much? I don't want to have to calculate everything my self and I don't even know if it's by a fixed value or % based.
- Better balance for invading
When I just started, the first guy who invaded me was so ridiculously powerful that I didn't deal 50% damage to his total health with 3 backstabs and he 1 shoted me trough my shield.
- A dedicated PvP arena
Something like a third world where people can invade it and fight against each other. Both will be phantoms.
- More covenants that have an actual impact on the game
I love the covenants in the forest where you are called to kill invaders in it. more such things where you get a feeling that entering the covenants changes the world around you.
- MOAR DARK SOULS!!!

Well, that's it.

Fuck servers. I know you all hate getting lagstabbed, but I play DkS with friends from multiple continents, and all those connections are going to be squat if they move back to servers. Latencywise, DkS was fine except for the occasional bad connection. Too bad that the vocal idiots whining about lag got it switched back to servers.

I called this trailer when me and my friend were watching the VGAs...

Well...

I say I called it. It became a tiny bit obvious after Jessica Alba started talking about a sequel to a 'Dark' and 'Brutal' game. It's not like she was talking about god damn Rayman (Disclaimer: I love me some Rayman, 'tis just an example.)

Xiado:
Fuck servers. I know you all hate getting lagstabbed, but I play DkS with friends from multiple continents, and all those connections are going to be squat if they move back to servers. Latencywise, DkS was fine except for the occasional bad connection. Too bad that the vocal idiots whining about lag got it switched back to servers.

You probably aren't from a country with backwards internet then i would assume. Unfortunately, dark souls pvp was pretty much pointless playing in australia. Demons Souls on the other hand worked just fine.

Explain how things work. Please, I'm begging you. I know Dark Souls is suppose to be hard. I know you're suppose to cry because it killed you and then killed your ghost, and your puppy, and your family. I get it and I appreciated it. But when I'm over twenty hours into the game and still don't understand the basics like how to use magic--yes, I know I always bring that up so, I'm sorry--because the game never bothered to explain it, that's not challenging. That's bad game design. Give the player at least the basic rule book before you make him play your game. Please.

Ruin my day? More like make my year.

Doing a lan party with 3 people cooping through this game was epic. Discovering traps together, being crushed by giant boulders and being eaten by chests. Drinking way too much and forming roman shield/spear walls. Having an archer pick off targets while the rest covered him with a shield.

Going 2 handed and rushing a giant boss while another kites it and draws aggro.

The game was just stupidly good and had the best "difficulty" of any game. No such thing as easy or normal or hard. Enemies were balanced by their move set not their adjustable invisible stats.

Let us hope it isn't another mediocre game that everyone rants and raves about for being so amazing.

Clive Howlitzer:
Let us hope it isn't another mediocre game that everyone rants and raves about for being so amazing.

Are you implying the other Souls games were mediocre? I seriously hope not.

Clive Howlitzer:

No offense, but it kinda sounds like you're looking for trouble in terms of a flame war.

Sniper Team 4:
Explain how things work. Please, I'm begging you. I know Dark Souls is suppose to be hard. I know you're suppose to cry because it killed you and then killed your ghost, and your puppy, and your family. I get it and I appreciated it. But when I'm over twenty hours into the game and still don't understand the basics like how to use magic--yes, I know I always bring that up so, I'm sorry--because the game never bothered to explain it, that's not challenging. That's bad game design. Give the player at least the basic rule book before you make him play your game. Please.

If you pick up the item that allows you to use magic (catalyst), it tells you right in the description,
"Equip catalyst to use sorceries.
Attune sorceries from a scroll at a bonfire.
Most sorceries have a limited no. of uses"

If you picked the Sorcery class, you started the game with one. If you didn't, the first guy you're likely to meet who sells sorcery scrolls has one right next to him. Not knowing how to do something because you did not bother to read the text that explained how, and was provided right before it would become relevant is not a case for bad game design.

Also, I'm getting tired of people exaggerating how hard these games actually are. They reward you for paying attention, being cautious and maintaining a moderate level of gaming finesse. It ain't Ninja Gaiden. It's not Nintendo Hard.

so if dark souls 1 was harder than demon souls then how does dark souls 2 get harder....oh god permadeath

This game has to excel in the complexity of an enemy. I don't mean diversity in design, but in combat. This game will become much more visceral with more depth in our opponents.

Dark Souls II?! YAY! :D I really hope the game will be great!! Happy to see one of my favorite developer is doing another great one *fingers crossed for a good PC release -- Although the DS PC port was satisfactory for me*

Gonna be another journey~

OOT : Totally unrelated to DSII but I hope Fromsoftware brings Armored Core to PC one day...

Dark Souls 2? Why not Devil's Souls or Drab Souls or Dickish Souls or something.
Come on Namco or whoever is making this, be more creative.

VeryOddGamer:
Dark Souls 2? Why not Devil's Souls or Drab Souls or Dickish Souls or something.
Come on Namco or whoever is making this, be more creative.

Dark Souls would've been Demon Souls 2, were it not for problems with the IP after From switched publishers. You're getting a new story and setting the same way as you did before by the looks of it, so I really don't see the problem.

I honestly can't get hyped for this because of how incredibly bad the PC port was.

I can't help but imagine these guys had a cup of coffee with the ones running the Final Fantasy sequels (10-2, 13-2, 13-3). Even though I know the whole IP issue thing From Software had to deal with.

Is there something wrong with me if I watched this 10 times already? I took some money out of my pocket and threw it at the TV to get a laugh out of my wife, but if it warped the cash into another dimension and pre-ordered a collector's edition for me, I would be thrilled. From...new guy...Do not fuck me over by selling me "dark Skyrim" before it's released. I don't ever pre-order things, but I have faith in these guys. Now for speculation!

Streamline (which doesn't mean "dumbed down" necessarily) the weapon/armor upgrades, and make it more clear. Mechanics can be clarified without ruining the opacity of the rest of the experience, IMO.

If you're switching to a server-based thing, plan to keep it open longer than Demon's, and if you can help it don't announce the end of it all multiple times. I shouldn't do "my final online moments" more than once (I realize how crazy I sound). I could do without "world tendency" coming back.

More Asian/DEX weapons would be awesome. Actually, more loot of all kinds, which I'm sure they're planning.

Try not to go "full blown open-world sandbox" on me. I loved the level design and unique shortcuts. Getting around Lordran was awesome and that can be done on a larger scale.

I'd like it if most of the weapons crafted from boss souls were more useful, those should be some of the best stuff in the game (see Demon's Souls)

Make sure the netcode is excellent. Spend a lot of time on this. My favorite moments were in parties and it sucks to wait an hour to get a summon.

I don't think it would be so bad if we could talk to eachother. The way "bowing" and the code of honor in a lot of duals/invasions turned out organically tells me that you won't hear too many racist/homophobic vitriol in your headset. It could really add to the immersion and planning. I could be totally wrong about this, though.

I haven't been this excited about a game release in a long time, I feel like a teenager again. I've got your back From, bring your best.

I only hope that it is harder much than Dark Souls. I loved that game but it really wasn't as hard as everyone has claimed. Still hard just not that hard.

I only hope that it is harder much than Dark Souls. I loved that game but it really wasn't as hard as everyone has claimed. Still hard just not that hard.

I still can't believe how awesome this trailer is...

And that music? So freakin' fitting, I really get a huge Dark Souls vibe from it.

Can't wait for this, really looking forward to it.

William Dickbringer:
so if dark souls 1 was harder than demon souls then how does dark souls 2 get harder....oh god permadeath

It's going to be considerably easier than either of the previous installments.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/08/dark-souls-2-and-the-fine-line-between-challenge-and-accessibility/

game directors new to the Souls series, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, who have taken the reins from Hidetaka Miyazaki.

they intend to mould Dark Souls II into a more approachable form

"I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle," he tells us. "[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable."

This looks like the downfall of the Souls series to me--but that being said, "straightforward" and "accessible" do not necessarily mean "easier" (though they usually do when it comes to game journalism.) I don't think it's worth getting excited over yet---too easy for it to be the ruination of the franchise atm.

Only thought after watching the trailer:

"TAKE THE STRONGEST AND HEAVIEST ARMOR YOU CAN FIND
AND CROSS THAT RICKETY OLD BRIDGE LIKE THE MAN YOU ARE!"

"Sure, gimme a sec."

And thus everyone ignored the implications of a half-broken bridge that will likely collapse under your body weight alone.

way to go, Dark Souls II, show the children how it's done.
: D

actually: I still need to finish DS, but damn that game is fun. Can't wait for this one, considering how it should be designed with the pc in mind, and a better server system and all that.

If the trailer is to be believed, it may mean we need to carry a lantern/torch everywhere instead of having a supernatural glow emanating from the character. There was a lantern used in one area of Dark Souls 1, but it could be really bad if they do it in Dark Souls 2. Remember everyone complaining about Doom 3? Other than that, it's looking good.

The game looks amazing and I'm happy for the sequel, but... is it just me or does it seem to be a bit lacking in the dark souls/demon's souls aesthetic? Both of the previous games had really interesting looking creatures and enemies, these seem a little too standard and run of the mill. It's just a trailer so chances are they aren't moving away from that aesthetic, but this trailer worries me just a bit

Freaky Lou:
This looks like the downfall of the Souls series to me--but that being said, "straightforward" and "accessible" do not necessarily mean "easier" (though they usually do when it comes to game journalism.)

Maybe they mean a story that can be followed, that's not 1/10 exposition, 1/10 pieced-together sentences from item descriptions, and 8/10 fanwank online speculation? That would certainly be more accessible.

Maybe discernible characterization, so people can't berate me for killing a random giant wolf with a sword without shedding a tear because it's apparently a tragic character in the arcane and incomprehensible backstory.

Maybe a map. Making it so there's some hint that new things are in old areas. Making exploration fun, in other words.

Maybe a character that has better pathfinding skills than a blind wiener dog, who can move more than half a foot off the ground in something other than a "falling to your death" context and isn't trapped by ankle-height tree roots.

Clive Howlitzer:

I'm sort of hoping for the same thing, myself. Though I think I'd describe DS as merely "good" rather than mediocre. It was an okay game for all its problems.

godofallu:
Ruin my day? More like make my year.

Doing a lan party with 3 people cooping through this game was epic. Discovering traps together, being crushed by giant boulders and being eaten by chests. Drinking way too much and forming roman shield/spear walls. Having an archer pick off targets while the rest covered him with a shield.

Going 2 handed and rushing a giant boss while another kites it and draws aggro.

The game was just stupidly good and had the best "difficulty" of any game. No such thing as easy or normal or hard. Enemies were balanced by their move set not their adjustable invisible stats.

I just have to second you on every bit you said there.

I myself was a victim of the negativistic counter-hype, believing that whoever made this game was probably insane. I read about perma-death, losing 'currency' and 'score' and having to start at the beginning.

Then, eventually and totally by accident, I read that it was a game by From Software, the crazy ingenious bastards that invaded my dreams a thousand years ago, back on the PSX with Kings Field.

Yes, my first encounters with enemies was frustrating, because I didn't know what to do or where to go.

The moment you accept the Souls games as what they are, they are the most satisfying, most Zen gaming experiences out there. Every enemy is 'hard' and deadly, until one takes a moment, a step back to analyse the moves and attacks of any given enemy. I only started practicing parry/ripostes and backstabs in Anor Londo, when I had to admit that 'normal' routines just wouldn't be viable options to cut through the mass of Silver Knights in a timely manner. Did I die? Oh yes. Did I run for my life? Hell yeah. But the moment you are in control of an area, know every nook and cranny even though there's no map, and when you even manage to find shortcuts, it's just something I haven't felt since, say, the very first Donkey Kong, Mario, Castlevania or Metroid. It's just pure gaming bliss that invites players to not only give their best effort, it made me a perfectionist just by existing. There's no holding hands, there's no overload of story or exposition, and yet these games inspire to dream, write, draw and just come back for another serving, and be it just as a friendly Sun Bros guy, praising the sun, killing big bads and having a blast. Over and over and over again.

I'm actually really quite looking forward to it; despite how infuriating Dark Souls could be at points, it was still really good fun to just explore and find out more about the world.

NeutralDrow:

Clive Howlitzer:

I'm sort of hoping for the same thing, myself. Though I think I'd describe DS as merely "good" rather than mediocre. It was an okay game for all its problems.

I'll join you, it's a fun good game. Not sure why people think it's hard, as long as you keep your eyes open and have time to retrace your steps after some traps/abushes/random bad dodge you should be fine. It has indeed a good challenging gameplay, but for me if SC and SC2 (high in the PvP ladder) were a 10 in therms of difficulty, DS would be around 4 at most.

Well, i did like Dark Souls but it would be nice if it just took 2minutes to explain some basic stuff and maybe some back story. I do not think it is great when the only source of info is made by fans for fans. Oh and please tell me what you mean by more defense, give me some numbers to illustrate it (accessible from another menu maybe).

Just make the game a bit more clear, i got the PC version with the DLC and missed the whole DLC because i had no clue where it was and how to get there. I finished the game without even seeing the new content, to have an idea how to get there i had to look up a guide (how the hell do you want me to know all the necessary stuff to get in there), in my eyes that is not the best design choice.

One last thing, please make it easy to go offline, maybe put on options on the bonfires or at the start of the game. Also DITCH GFWL PLEASE!!! That piece of crap would not let me play offline without ERASING (yes, ERASING) my saved games, so i just ran some crap to avoid annoying invasion from higher level guys (love it in the first time you get in the first building/city, you get invaded by a guy in a new game+, good thing you can still push them of ledges).

TL;DR : So yeah, interested, just make the game a bit more clear, ditch GFWL for PC, fix the netcod, gives us an option to go on/offline easily, maybe more weapon types and upgrade the lighting (i shouldn't have to reconfigure my screen to be able to something).

Maybe discernible characterization, so people can't berate me for killing a random giant wolf with a sword without shedding a tear because it's apparently a tragic character in the arcane and incomprehensible backstory.

Maybe a map. Making it so there's some hint that new things are in old areas. Making exploration fun, in other words.

Yeah because reading item descriptions and just looking around is too hard, god my head hurts so much because I wasn't spoonfed every information.

Oh, and how is it exploration if you have a map hinting you where to explore. That's just hand holding for the basic cod-bro "OOH DID YOU KNOW THERE'S SHINY NEW STUFF FOR YOU HERE ? GO GET IT CHAMP".

That's the kind of thing I hope they don't listen to. Sadly, seems like they're going to do just that and it's likely we might have a watered down "souls" game that pleases to a mass that isn't interested in the actual challenge in the first place, just another rpg they can drone through.

Busard:

Yeah because reading item descriptions and just looking around is too hard, god my head hurts so much because I wasn't spoonfed every information.

It does not have to be spooned fed info, maybe put it in the form of a book or a not that you can find in the game, but i it is not practical that you need to read the item description on 6/7 different items (that you are not even sure to find) to get SOME back story, just give us a book/bestiary like in the older games which didn't spoon feed you back story but made it accessible.
The books might have some help full info about monster, areas etc.. by giving at the same time same time some back story.
OH NO FREE INFORMATION, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!

Busard:

Oh, and how is it exploration if you have a map hinting you where to explore. That's just hand holding for the basic cod-bro "OOH DID YOU KNOW THERE'S SHINY NEW STUFF FOR YOU HERE ? GO GET IT CHAMP".

That's the kind of thing I hope they don't listen to. Sadly, seems like they're going to do just that and it's likely we might have a watered down "souls" game that pleases to a mass that isn't interested in the actual challenge in the first place, just another rpg they can drone through.

A map would be a good addition but it is just a map that fills out on its own with a magical marker saying "you are here", it would just show you the areas you didn't explore yet by not having the map completed in those areas, like a ton of good games before hand (with a thing like that i might not of have missed the whole DLC), but that is accessible info GASP i don't have to read/watch through 15 different guides to find some info THE HORROR.

I do hope that they listen to their player base, just give me the feeling that i am not plowing through a swamp during a pitch black night with flying blood thirsty alligators when i want to find some info, just keep the swamp and blood thirsty alligators.

DrunkOnEstus:
Is there something wrong with me if I watched this 10 times already? I took some money out of my pocket and threw it at the TV to get a laugh out of my wife, but if it warped the cash into another dimension and pre-ordered a collector's edition for me, I would be thrilled. From...new guy...Do not fuck me over by selling me "dark Skyrim" before it's released. I don't ever pre-order things, but I have faith in these guys. Now for speculation!

Streamline (which doesn't mean "dumbed down" necessarily) the weapon/armor upgrades, and make it more clear. Mechanics can be clarified without ruining the opacity of the rest of the experience, IMO.

If you're switching to a server-based thing, plan to keep it open longer than Demon's, and if you can help it don't announce the end of it all multiple times. I shouldn't do "my final online moments" more than once (I realize how crazy I sound). I could do without "world tendency" coming back.

More Asian/DEX weapons would be awesome. Actually, more loot of all kinds, which I'm sure they're planning.

Try not to go "full blown open-world sandbox" on me. I loved the level design and unique shortcuts. Getting around Lordran was awesome and that can be done on a larger scale.

I'd like it if most of the weapons crafted from boss souls were more useful, those should be some of the best stuff in the game (see Demon's Souls)

Make sure the netcode is excellent. Spend a lot of time on this. My favorite moments were in parties and it sucks to wait an hour to get a summon.

I don't think it would be so bad if we could talk to eachother. The way "bowing" and the code of honor in a lot of duals/invasions turned out organically tells me that you won't hear too many racist/homophobic vitriol in your headset. It could really add to the immersion and planning. I could be totally wrong about this, though.

I haven't been this excited about a game release in a long time, I feel like a teenager again. I've got your back From, bring your best.

I'm just going to put it out there that there is something wrong with you for watching it ten times. It's dark souls II! 15 times minimum!

Jokes aside, I agree with pretty much all of what you said, not so much the chat though. I really liked the gesture system (aside from "well? what is it?" of course), and gough's carvings were just the icing on the cake. They forced a little more interpretation into player communication, and I liked that you had to point, and guide your buddies to an area, rather than just saying "hey guys, there's a secret wall over here". Plus, I really think that, given how bad the online community can get, it's better to not have to mute people all the time.

Something I'd like to see is splitscreen play. It's very unlikely to happen, given how few games have splitscreen anymore, but just imagine being able to duel your friends, in the same room, with no latency issues. That's be great. Especially in australia where connections were complete shit on a good day.

I'd also like to see them give faces a bit of a better go. Not so much the player's face, but the npc's could do with a touch up. That'd be on the bottom of my wishlist though.

I'm not sure if I'll pre-order it, because I just find the pre-order practice supremely stupid, and I'm ever so slightly worried that namco-bandai are pulling the strings more than From are, but this is probably the most excited I've been for such little information.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here