Space Hulk Returns

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Space Hulk Returns

Games Workshop is getting the bolter and the Terminator armor out of the closet.

Games Workshop, best known as the company behind the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 tabletop games, announced today that the cult-classic Space Hulk videogame is making a comeback. Players will assume command of a squad of eight Blood Angels Terminators as they work their way through the "isolated corridors and tomb-like chambers" of the "Sin of Damnation," a space hulk spotted, according to the Warhammer: 40,000 Lexicanum, near their fortress monastery on the planet Baal.

Space Hulk will be a "3D digital turn-based strategy game" that sets the force of Blood Angels against the Genestealers infesting the Sin of Damnation. The game will offer a 12-mission single-player campaign plus cross-platform co-op and head-to-head multiplayer gameplay on the PC, Mac and iOS, all closely modeled on the original board game. And for those who just can't get enough Space Hulk, future DLC expansions are planned and the game will also ship with a level editor.

Old-time Space Hulk hands might recognize the Blood Angels name from Vengeance of the Blood Angels, the 1996 successor to the original Space Hulk videogame that came out for the 3DO, Playstation, Sega Saturn, DOS and Windows. The first Space Hulk videogame came out in 1993 for the Amiga and DOS-based PCs.

The new Space Hulk is being developed by Denmark-based Full Control and is scheduled to come out next year. To find out more hit up spacehulk-game.com.

So kinda like a Warhammer 40k version of X-Com?

Because I would totally buy that.

Aeshi:

Yes, except every enemy is a Chryssalid.

Aeshi:

seconded.

I've not had the chance to play the first one, I'll be keeping my eye on this one in case it does pull an XCOM.

More turn-based strategy titles on the way? And with a splash of 40k in the mix? Someone pinch me, I think I'm dreaming.

Since when do nice things happen in the game industry?

Looking forward to some more info on this one. I've got the original board game, but I'm curious if there are going to be some edits to the "rules" for the video game. Table-top matches tended to be very one-sided depending on the objective and you could usually guess who would win before you started I found.

I'm starting to think I might need to send Fireaxis some hamper baskets if this trend keeps up.

captcha: Creepy crawlers

How appropriate.

I'm already excited.
I've not played the original, but I've heard it's a blast.

TASTE BOLTER FIRE, XENOS SCUM!

I'm sorry - all I'm seeing is a riled-up Bruce Banner wearing a retro-cool sixties space suit.

"HULK SMASH IN ZERO-GRAVITY!"

Wow man. First news of a Warhammer fantasy game being made by Creative Assembly, and now this. It's shaping up to be a good next few years for the Warhammer franchise.

"Space Hulk will...set the force of Blood Angels against the Genestealers infesting the Sin of Damnation."

That's a level of naming inanity that I haven't seen since my middle school D&D games...

Azuaron:
"Space Hulk will...set the force of Blood Angels against the Genestealers infesting the Sin of Damnation."

That's a level of naming inanity that I haven't seen since my middle school D&D games...

In the Grim Dark future of the 41st millennium there are only overblown names.

oh i remember the original on the amiga and all the times my squad was wiped out. good to hear the strategy games are comming back to the main stream and that they are choosing to add a chip editior for it

Played the original and it was hard as fuck, hope they'll tone down the difficulty a bit. Also yay the Blood Angels, one of my top 5 favorite space marine chapters (the other 4 starting from my absolute favorite: The Angry Marines, the Dark Angels, the Imperial Fists, and the Salamanders [wish I could work the Blood Ravens into here]). I mean sure without the helmet they look like the damn Pretty Marines (the enemy of the Angry Marines) but they love violence and are effectively vampires so yeah, it's cool.

Please let it run on windows XP.

Take AAAAALLLLL of my money! ...That said, I tried playing the original Space Hulk computer game on Amiga and it was bastard hard, I hope they'll make it a bit easier for casual scrubs like me.

Canadish:

Looking forward to some more info on this one. I've got the original board game, but I'm curious if there are going to be some edits to the "rules" for the video game. Table-top matches tended to be very one-sided depending on the objective and you could usually guess who would win before you started I found.

Or if you were a cheating bastard like me, you realised that the blip tokens in Genestealer and Deathwing were a slightly different shade of green to the Basic set, so you just played genestealers and picked the blips with 4-6 stealers, converted off board and swamped the marines every time. What a little git I was.

Colour me interested.

I do have some hope that it will be real time and not turn based as I'm not all for waiting an hour or two to build an army or spend time on a small map for that amount of time.

I love that turn based strategy is making a comeback. Heres hoping my Shining force revival dreams will be answered.

Also the smaller, niche, Games workshop games tended to be real gems. Advanced Hero Quest, Bloodbowl, SpaceHulk, Necromunda. I hope more will follow.

Aeshi:

Sort of, except X-Com is like an outdoor version of Space Hulk.

Also Genestealers dropping from the ceilings, at random, welcome to the most nervy turn based game ever made!

Awww yeah! That's what got me into WH4K to begin with. But didn't the original PC version have the Dark Angel's Deathwing Terminators, and it was the later Sega Saturn / 3DO version that had the Blood Angels?

I remember one mission where I started out with 10 Terminators and as the mission progressed they slowly got whittled down to one, so I ended up backing down the corridor to the escape ship, blasting wave after wave of Genestealer, with my bolter sporadically jamming and hoping to hell I didn't get ambushed from behind. War is hell.

bjj hero:
I love that turn based strategy is making a comeback. Heres hoping my Shining force revival dreams will be answered.

Also the smaller, niche, Games workshop games tended to be real gems. Advanced Hero Quest, Bloodbowl, SpaceHulk, Necromunda. I hope more will follow.

There was a Necromunda game? I must've missed that while I was love-hating Cyanide's take on Blood Bowl. (Ugh, that UI and horrible multiplayer connection...)

But yes! Space Hulk! This should be good times. And OMG, yes, Shining Force would be a fantastic property to revive. SF2 ate up a sizable chunk of Grade 7 for me.

Rituro:

There was a Necromunda game? I must've missed that while I was love-hating Cyanide's take on Blood Bowl. (Ugh, that UI and horrible multiplayer connection...)

But yes! Space Hulk! This should be good times. And OMG, yes, Shining Force would be a fantastic property to revive. SF2 ate up a sizable chunk of Grade 7 for me.

No such luck, never been a PC game for Necromunda. I was more talking about turn based games that could be awesome. I much prefer turn based to RTS. Good to see there are other Shining force veterans keeping the faith.

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun, lets hope it keeps its level of difficulty

Happy to see that not only does X-Com make a bitchin' sequel but it becomes popular enough for companies to take risks in developing games that needed to be developed for a long time.

In the grim dark darkness of dark grim, there is only grimness and darkening...

Fuck yes fuck yes FUCK YES.

I hope it comes with a big fucking manual and asks you to enter specific words every time you start it!
NOSTALGIA.

Edit: Then I see it's Blood Angels and not Dark Angels, and my enthusiasm is mildly tempered. Still, at least it's not the sodding Blood Ravens.

Loop Stricken:

I hope it comes with a big fucking manual and asks you to enter specific words every time you start it!
NOSTALGIA.

Edit: Then I see it's Blood Angels and not Dark Angels, and my enthusiasm is mildly tempered. Still, at least it's not the sodding Blood Ravens.

I bet it is the Blood Ravens, and they've just nicked some Blood Angels armour for the mission. Bloody magpies!

OOOOO Sounds awesome!

Next we need Warhammer: Total war to come out and I'll be golden! :3

With the Creative Assembly announcement last week, and now this.....This has been a good December. I've been waiting for a new Space Hulk game for ages, ever since my PS1 Vengeance of the Blood Angels disc went missing a few years back :(.

I don't even think they need to change the mechanic all that much (well, for PC and Macs anyway. iOS might be a different kettle of fish), just make hand-to-hand combat less rock paper Genestealer.

It's been forever since we've seen a Warhammer 40,000 game starring the Space Marines! I'm glad to see that Games Workshop if finally giving them the attention they deserve.

Speaking of which, I'm glad they've finally come forth regarding the truth about Squats. I still find it hard to believe th

What, no Imperial Fist or whatever the yellow ones were? I hope someone realises this needs hotseat multi player or my nostalgia will be unfulfilled. That reminds me I need to sell my box of Space Hulk soon.

CJ1145:

Aeshi:

Yes, except every enemy is a Chryssalid.

Hahaha, that is so very true xD.

OT: Anyone know for sure what this will play more like?

I'm assuming X-com as well but just the battle parts. Or will it be more "random card/piece based" like hero academy(cant think of better example).

My mind just blew!!! I am throwing my wallet at the screen but nothing has happened. I must have this when its released. I hope we can get multiple chapters (or even the Deathwatch).

I wonder what kind of gameplay it will have.

The original was a strange but very interesting mix of FPS and top-down tactical game. There was a time-limited phase where the player could command the Terminator squad on a map, after that it switched to first person until more command time had been earned.

It had a nice feel of fast paced tactics and panic. Genestealers everywhere aaaarh....

I remember playing the original twenty years ago (nearly) and to see people posting in this thread along the lines of 'this sounds a cool idea' just makes me feel old.

I'll leave this here and regress back to the days when a 386 was a kick-ass system...

For the young pups out there those were cutscene quality graphics.

Yeah, we had it all.

Geo Da Sponge:

Loop Stricken:

NOSTALGIA.

I bet it is the Blood Ravens, and they've just nicked some Blood Angels armour for the mission. Bloody magpies!

What? Noooooo, they don't steal anything! It's all conveniently mysteriously given to them!

Scrythe:
Speaking of which, I'm glad they've finally come forth regarding the truth about Squats. I still find it hard to believe th

I don't see what you did there.
I emphatically did not see what he did there, in case any Inquisitors are listening.

Grouchy Imp:

[snip]

For the young pups out there those were cutscene quality graphics.

Yeah, we had it all.

Those are some weak graphics compared to the Amiga version. The only serious gaming rig. :P

The guy who recorded it really need to invest in a harddrive though, those are some icky loading times. Oh the torment of floppy gaming.

Loop Stricken:
I don't see what you did there.
I emphatically did not see what he did there, in case any Inquisitors are listening.

Oooh I get it! It's like a Candlejack joke! Except with Squats! That's just hila

Hell yes! Loved this game back in the day!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here