Hasbro Forces Closure of MLP: Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3

bibblles:

dtgenshiken7:

bibblles:
Some faith in humanity has been restored!
Kill the pony project, and burn their efforts.

Way to go, predictable McTroll.

Troll? No.
I sir am one of the multitudes who despise this MLP nonsense, you invade other genres and expect people not to hate you? HA! I see this crap everywhere and I for one am sick of it. There is a reason you encounter hostility, people are sick of you and your invasive bullshit. You can call me a troll, you can call me a hater, you can call me a fascist... but you sir are a bronie, and of all the intolerable cultural pollutants you are the worst.

So as not to clog up this thread with pointless nonsense, this is the last reply I'll bite for.

Be as it may that SOME of us are like that, generalizing each and every last one of us like this is both false and unfair. I myself take pains not to associate myself with those bronies, as do a lot of my brony friends, I hardly ever see what you describe anymore. You're simply spouting rote-learned nonsense from the rest of the people who look at us once and say "ew gay", and while I admit that maybe it isn't for everyone, speaking like this isn't pushing the case that people who dislike us are any better themselves. I'm not going to insult you any further, nor am I going to rise to any posts you make in response, as anything you just said can be found in any forum under the sun these days and is probably not even your thoughts in the first place.

Adieu.

TopazFusion:

arc1991:
i have never noticed anything been taken down by Hasbro

Lugbzurg:
Hasbro likes people putting episodes up there for the advertizement, as they make their money off of the toys.

Oh no, Hasbro most certainly do take down the MLP episodes.

See? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5axe2lmmfg
"This video contains content from Hasbro Studios LLC, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

And that is episode 3 of the current season.

Hasbro are fighting a losing battle here of course. As soon as one gets taken down, it reappears again under a different youtube account.

Yeah, that is certainly true. I think they only really target the HD uploads though, and couldn't really care less about SD quality ones. Of course, the majority are 720p/1080p. And yeah, it's pretty much got to a stage where you can't not find every FiM episode so far on YouTube.

There have also been cases of MLP fan card games being shut down, but that is also for fair reasons because Hasbro owns Wizards of the Coast I believe, and there are official FiM trading cards now.

TopazFusion:

arc1991:
i have never noticed anything been taken down by Hasbro

Lugbzurg:
Hasbro likes people putting episodes up there for the advertizement, as they make their money off of the toys.

Oh no, Hasbro most certainly do take down the MLP episodes.

See? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5axe2lmmfg
"This video contains content from Hasbro Studios LLC, who has blocked it on copyright grounds."

And that is episode 3 of the current season.

Hasbro are fighting a losing battle here of course. As soon as one gets taken down, it reappears again under a different youtube account.

I did say, maybe they are harder on MLP than they are on Transformers :P Because as i said, i have never noticed TFP eps been taken down, plus if it's the 3rd ep of the new season its no surprise they are getting taken down, give it a month and they wont bother with that particular ep :P

Well, the game was a steaming pile anyway so no great loss to be had there. Although, you couldn't have shut down Welcome to Ponyville instead? I mean, MLP:Online at least had potential.

To be honest, there's only one good fangame in the pipeline everything else looks/has been pretty shite, if that gets hit with a Cease and Desist I'll be pretty upset.

Good.

It probably would have degenerated into something like Second Life after a few months anyway, if all this Brony talk is to be believed.

XMark:
I'm wondering... why is it legally required to defend your trademark? Is there some critical thing about how trademarks work that would cause a disaster if a company didn't actively defend their trademarks, or only defended them when they wanted to?

A trademark is meant to uniquely distinguish your brand and thus avoid consumer confusion. If the trademark holder allows others to use their trademarks without permission then it stops being an unique identifier and the trademark no longer serves its purpose thus the law will no longer protect it.

In this case they really should not have called the game My Little Pony: Online without getting permission to use that name.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here