Metro 2033 Goes Free on Facebook

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Metro 2033 Goes Free on Facebook

For the simple act of a Facebook like, you can score a free copy of Metro 2033.

Everybody knows I love Metro 2033, but nobody seems to know why. Now's your chance to find out! THQ is giving away the PC version of the game to anyone and everyone who tosses a like at the Metro Facebook page.

It's not exactly brain surgery, but here's what you need to do. Pop over to Facebook, specifically the Metro Free Download page, and click the "Reveal Code" button. Download the file linked on the page, run it and when it asks you for the key, enter it. Boom! Time to immerse yourself in the scrabbling horror of subterranean Russia!

The giveaway is part of THQ's ongoing promotional campaign for the upcoming Metro 2033 sequel Metro: Last Light, and if you think I'm kidding about the horrors of living underground in a post-apocalyptic world, you obviously haven't watched the Preacher, Model and Commander promotion videos. They're a not-so-gentle reminder that while war may be hell, what comes after sucks pretty hard too.

Laying your hands on the game may take some patience; Metro 2033 wasn't exactly a runaway hit but free is free and the download link is getting hammered pretty hard. Metro: Last Light is scheduled to come out in March 2013 and in the meantime, your free taste of what awaits can be had at freemetrogame.com.

I've been waiting to get back to nuclear Russia. This should settle me over until I feel the need to kick up Stalker again.

Gahh, I just paid for it as part of the Umble Bumble, which is the second time I've paid for it.

Curses.

On the other hand, now the rest of you have no excuse at all, get it and learn a whole new level of respect for librarians!

Captcha: I love you, that's it, it's alive and it's going to kill us...

I haven't found anything that says that this requires Steam. Possibly a DRM free(ish) copy? If so, then it's awesome to have regardless of whether you already own it, like me.

Waaghpowa:
I haven't found anything that says that this requires Steam. Possibly a DRM free(ish) copy? If so, then it's awesome to have regardless of whether you already own it, like me.

The codes are for the Steam version.

Soviet Heavy:

Waaghpowa:

The codes are for the Steam version.

Boooooo. They give you a code and a download for a .exe so I assumed.

Sounds like a sweet deal. I've played the Xbox version but I guess it's worth picking up the PC version for god damn FREE!

Also if Captcha asks for a high five, don't hit your monitor.

fix-the-spade:
On the other hand, now the rest of you have no excuse at all

I don't have (or want) a Facebook account, does that count?

Lazy:

No it doesn't, it means you have to go to the Umble Bumble and buy it for six dollars instead!

No excuses!

Lazy:

fix-the-spade:
On the other hand, now the rest of you have no excuse at all

actually, not really.

1) Make facebook account (Doenst have to have any of your real info)
2) Get free game
3) Delete facebook account (or never look at it again)
4) ????
5) Profit! or atleast a free game

fix-the-spade:

Lazy:

No it doesn't, it means you have to go to the Umble Bumble and buy it for six dollars instead!

No excuses!

actually it is only in the $1 section. as one of the better games in there.

where did the "H" is this meme attempt?

For some reason when I go to the page it just redirects me to the facebook home page, anyone know why?

fix-the-spade:

Lazy:

No excuses!

Well, I was planning to pick up a prepaid card and buy Overgrowth today anyhow, so I suppose I could always get Metro 2033 with whatever's left over.

Also, typing this with my broken keyboard sucks.

gardian06:
actually it is only in the $1 section. as one of the better games in there.

where did the "H" is this meme attempt?

It's not a Meme, it's a replication of a particular small child's mannerism.

If it really bothers you that much I'll type it Humble Bundle from now on. But Umble Bumble is much more entertaining to me.

i loved this game if i didnt already have it this might acctually be a legitimate reason for getting a facebook account.

I am more then happy to take them up on there offer, it is very kind. and a game i love win win!

Andy Chalk:
PC version

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr............... *grumble grumble grumble*

Oh well. Awesome game though.

Me55enger:
The book was better.

I know, right? I just played the game ironically

Ah, finally the chance to revive my Steam account.

Going to take a personal look at Metro myself, finally. And just when all the urge for these kinds of settings kicks in thanks to STALKER. Aw yeah.

Free game? Okay, show me where to go. Don't even care what it is.

I played this on the Xbox when I borrowed it from a friend. This is the perfect way to freshen up before Last Light comes out.

Why do I have to download a 70MB launcher exe to basically open Steam and register the key, anyway?

Already got it for Xbox, and I doubt my laptop would run it, but definitely sharing it with everyone I know.

Just redirects me to the Facebook homepage, sad face :(

Waaghpowa:

I find it interesting that if you gave a copy of your free copy to a friend, they'd be pirates.

<.<

Strange, strange world.

Good game though, the ragdolling on baddies is super weird but the game overall is nice. Bought it ages ago during one of them steam sales.

I'll take that. Yes, thank you.

Been wanting to play this game again for a while, now I have an excuse to get it.

Wow, didn't know this was going on. Downloading it now. THQ is REALLY trying to turn a good public face in this time of crisis for them. I've bought a few of their games at launch, Darksiders 1 and 2 primarily. And a few on sale ala Saints Row and Space Marine. Even thought they will definatly loose out on cash by doing this, maybe it'll encourage people to buy their next game. Hell it might convince even me.

Got it. Was able to redeem the key directly via steam (The built-in activate a product on steam thing). Thank you THQ and thanks to The Escapist for making me aware of this

That's a very interesting/clever stunt to increase awareness of that game. They probably want the Metro2033 franchise to be a household name, so that more people will be interested in buying the sequel, once it's out.

I keep getting redirected back to the facebook homepage, any ideas?

I do like free stuff, especially when its a game that I can max out on my PC with awesome framereates. Thanks THQ!

I've been on the fence about getting this for quite some time. No excuse now. Russia, here I come!

THQ is really pushing these games out. Good for them. They can't afford big advertising spots, giving games away for free is the next best thing, some could say it's even the best thing. They are really pushing out those titles that are getting sequels soon. C'mon THQ, hold out for the fans of your game properties.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it.

Just made a new account and went forward from there.

I hope my PC can run it. :D

EDIT2: lawl, nope, it can't. Guess I'll wait 'till Christmas to see if I get a new, better laptop.

I really hope THQ manage to keep going and not go under, they are a pretty good publisher.

I have it on Xbox but im not sure it's worth using facebook for......Maybe i'll try it but I do already have the game, epic that it is.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here