Naughty Dog "Flat-Out Refused" to Change Last of Us Cover

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Way to stick to your guns Naughty Dog. Rarely has cover art been a factor in my purchasing of a game its not going to change the playing experience. After the game is in the console i rarely look at the box until i need to put the disc back in it.
Very excited about this game also Naughty Dog is the main reason i got a PS3 ,to play their games.

Huh? This is a thing? Some people decided they couldn't let the cover lie and now it's been blown up into a full on PR event? Come on internet, we can do better than this. Naughty Dog are right to show the girl more than the guy as she's the focal point of the game.

Dear Internet.
You officially have too much time on your hands if the position of characters on a box art is worth discussing beyond 'can't wait till that game comes out'.

Honestly I love the cover. It's atmospheric and emotional, though exactly which emotion I haven't decided yet. It looks very 'official', like a movie poster or something. Very legitimate. Very Nice.

If you want a bad example check out... uh, I dunno. Blacksite!

Is this not all slightly laughable considering we're going to be playing the bloke anyway?

I know nothing about that game but the cover has already got me interested. Well that, and its made by naughty dog. Good for them, if they are trying to make a survival game with a lonely feel to it, the cover is a step in the right direction.

Trivun:
(who I respect anyway, they gave me the early Crash, Ratchet and Jak games after all...)

WRONG!!!!!!!!!
Ratchet and Clank was created by Ted Price and others at Insomniac games

While Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin made Crash Banidcoot,Jak&Daxter and Uncharted

sam13lfc:

BelmontWolf:
2 words...Tomb Raider...

Yep, and Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta, one of the ME3 cases too

Metroid, Heavenly Sword, Wet, RE: Code Veronica, Catherine, female characters on covers has never been controversial till now.

I, personally, still think the game looks like crap.

ColdinT:

purifico:
Is that even a thing? Or are they just trying to get some easy PR riding Bioshock's back?

That's what I was thinking. They see Bioshock Infinite having PR issues with their cover, so they come out and tell the world that they're better than that.

Personally, I don't see why people are so hung up on box art anyway.

I would chock it up to the fact that all of Bioshock Infinites' box art designs are fucking terrible. Half the time it looks like a piece of concept art with the title logo slapped on or generic Blue/Orange design. It's all a big mess, at least The Last Of Us has good box art.

How dare you Naughty Dog! Wow, I've just lost all respect for you as a developer. I WAS going to buy this game, because it looked fun and immersive, but not anymore seeing as a female is displayed in front of a man on the cover. Think of all the cooties I could get from touching the game!(Extreme sarcasm)

Seriously, are there really people out there who would pass up a game as prominent as this because of a cover? Gimme a break.

So Ellie being in front of Joel on box art is now a controversy...

THIS... is a big deal now?!

Wow.

Alright, then.

Part of me wants to go "Wayda go Naughty Dog" simply on merit of them not changing the cover just because of some whining.

And yes, I was planning on getting this game. I've liked Naughty Dog since Crash Bandicoot.

Matt Dellar:
I love this cover, except for one thing: "Only On PlayStation."

Maybe I'll get a PS3 for this. I've always wanted to play a game where there's a non-sexualized female lead in an action-oriented role. I'd be a lot more interested if they just made a PC release, though.

Naughty Dog is why I buy Sony consoles, they only develop exclusives but their games are always worth it since they don't suffer from the issues multi-platform games force.

I do wish for a PC release though, if only because I'm lazy and don't want to change the input on my monitor or repair my controller from my PC to my PS3.

OT: A company that I can say 'Artistic Integrity' and not be ironic or joking about it, ND since the original Crash Bandicoot games have always been one of my favorite developers.

Uh... At the risk of sounding cynical, can I just point out how we have to take their word that the cover is being viciously attacked? Because I've seen nothing of the sort anywhere on the internet, and you'd think such comments would elicit a reaction from other gamers before they do from the developer. So, who exactly is campaigning to have the girl removed?

Perhaps they're playing heroes and martyrs, under attack by imaginary misogynists. Perhaps this is an attention-grab to generate customer goodwill now that most other marketing strategies have been exhausted. Curious how this all coincides with the recent outpouring of support for female gamers, making it conveniently topical.

Plus, "flat-out refused"? Sounds very courageous, almost as if they were under risk if they didn't change it. But they aren't - in fact, the opposite is more true, they'd attract more negative attention if they made the cover like the Bioshock Infinite one.

For some reason, I keep thinking of William H. Macy continually asking "Where's my dinner?". That's how weird and outdated this controversy seems.

This is what goes for controversy now then humanity needs a effing reboot. hey guys, you play a girl in portal too and that game can only be described by screaming out in never ending joy. if you'r that insecure about your sexuality you can't play as a girl (or is that chipmunk voiced homophobic prick on Xbox live) stay away from the internet.

purifico:
Is that even a thing? Or are they just trying to get some easy PR riding Bioshock's back?

Pretty much looking for easy PR, this has been their go to cover for a long time now.

Seems like they are just seeking to garner favor with people easily duped. Looking through the thread, it looks like its working!

There was a discussion regarding the cover art? I must've missed it, because this is the first time I've heard of it.

nonhoration:

sam13lfc:

BelmontWolf:
2 words...Tomb Raider...

Yep, and Mirror's Edge, Bayonetta, one of the ME3 cases too

Considering how many people actually bought Mirror's Edge, that might not be the best example.

Mirrors edge actually sold reasonably well over 2 million physical copies (not including all those steam sales, which every time its on sale it tops. it's that its from dice, and EA wants to squeeze money out of battlefield franchise (ea thinking is 5mil vs 2mil, what do you think they'll do, they see it as buisness) however a sequel is rumored

wow...seriously? wow...man some people need to get themselves a girlfriend

Seneschal:
Uh... At the risk of sounding cynical, can I just point out how we have to take their word that the cover is being viciously attacked? Because I've seen nothing of the sort anywhere on the internet, and you'd think such comments would elicit a reaction from other gamers before they do from the developer. So, who exactly is campaigning to have the girl removed?

Perhaps they're playing heroes and martyrs, under attack by imaginary misogynists. Perhaps this is an attention-grab to generate customer goodwill now that most other marketing strategies have been exhausted. Curious how this all coincides with the recent outpouring of support for female gamers, making it conveniently topical.

Plus, "flat-out refused"? Sounds very courageous, almost as if they were under risk if they didn't change it. But they aren't - in fact, the opposite is more true, they'd attract more negative attention if they made the cover like the Bioshock Infinite one.

Agreed. It makes me sick that so many are taken in by this PR stunt.

I don't get what the big deal it. Does it really matter? ...Oh right, marketing.

I have seen absolutely no discussion of Last of Us' cover in any "quarters of the internet". The only rumbling against it would have been from publishing and marketing folk at internal meetings, which is what the original quote implies.

This one does look kinda bad though. Why'd they choose to have a nuclear bomb going off in the distance, rather than the blue skies from the earlier cover that was thrown around is beyond me.

It is kinda sad that in this day and age, "this" is considered a "victory". Yes, it's great that they went ahead and did this, but why isn't it "ok" to do so much more, these days?

Also, there's a white male in the center. "Whatevz"

Souplex:
I'm worried about Naughty Dog. First they don't release Uncharted Racing, now they move on to a game where a racing game wouldn't fit.

*gasp* I remember that picture! Oh, man! Would've been awesome! Well, maybe not that awesome if you're constantly getting random cutscenes thrown into your race.

Matt Dellar:
I love this cover, except for one thing: "Only On PlayStation."

Maybe I'll get a PS3 for this. I've always wanted to play a game where there's a non-sexualized female lead in an action-oriented role. I'd be a lot more interested if they just made a PC release, though.

Naughty Dog works for Sony. What did you expect?

I think that the controversy here isn't so much that there is a female on the cover. I mean, they are RARE, but not so rare that they are unheard of, and it hasn't been controversial before. I see 2 reasons why it is considered controversial, and why its good that naughty dog is sticking to its guns.

The issue is partly that you play a guy, and the cover focuses on the girl. This signals that the focus of the game is less on identifying with a powerful, identifiable character that you can have a power trip THROUGH, and more on an interaction with a character that you protect and connect with. It implies less violence as catharsis, and more violence as a neccesity for a greater good. Which can be seen as a downer.

Secondly...well, the second reason is a lot more unfortunate. To be horribly blunt, It's not that the cover focuses on a female. Its that it focuses on a female that you can't fap to. Again, its more personal connection with the characters and less shallow fantasy. One thing that other covers with females have going for it is that even if they are good covers, at least the marketing department (And a lot of customers) can console themselves that if someones wants to see a good bit of escapism, they can at least find the girl on the cover hot. Even Bioshock Infinite, as high brow as its material is, does have a female character that has quite a bit of focus on her, well, assets. And Breastets. With this cover, its either an interest in a characters interactions or nothing.

I think Naughty Dog did right, and I hope they are rewarded.

Well... that kind of makes me wanna buy this game now.

I can't believe this is an issue. If the game is good, people will buy it. Naughty Dog should release games for more than just PS3, they would increase their sales too. I would love to play this game, but I only use PC.

Animyr:
This is a controversy now? Okay.

to be honest this is nicer the any sexism/racism controversy. I welcome this.

synobal:

Souplex:
I'm worried about Naughty Dog. First they don't release Uncharted Racing, now they move on to a game where a racing game wouldn't fit.

well lets be fair Crash Team Racing was pretty freaking awesome. Damn fun even.

Ive played it and Diddy Kong Racing. I hear people say that DKR was better...

THEY ARE FUCKING WRONG!!!

OT: Good for Naughty Dog.

I always feel bad for games that put a female character in the lead role, or at least, give them more prominence on the cover/in the game story. These games are, by and large, shit.

For every good one like Portal or Beyond Good and Evil, you have a terrible Hydrophobia or a Velvet Assassin. With respect to the famous exceptions, games with prominent female characters tend to be bad games, or tend to sell poorly. Because of the general lack of female led games to begin with, those failures stand out all the more. Thus, the flaws of Wet or Mirror's Edge accidentally reinforce the marketing assumption that buff men sell better.

It is a self sustaining process, in which few companies dare feature female protagonists, and as a consequence, fewer good female orientated games see the light of day. And that's terrible.

I'm only disappointed because it's a ps3 exclusive. i really liked the trailer But I'm not going to buy a ps3 sorry only 2 games on all of ps3 that I want and both aren't out yet as far as I know so no it's not worth it. when will the whole console exclusivity thing end?

I don't like the cover. But that is mainly because I just don't like the style. I have no issues with the female being up front although some feminists will argue that you are sexualizing her because she is "showing off" her ass with that particular pose.

Either way, I think that the best thing to do is to make reversible covers similar to Mass Effect 3. That way you can have two covers. Or for the people bitching and moaning a lot, make your own damn cover for a game. It's not that hard to make a custom cover anymore.

Animyr:
This is a controversy now? Okay.

Right?

I was on the fence about this game now I'm gonna buy it just to prove some really sexist people wrong.

Good for them to not back down on this. I like the cover and hell it makes me want to play the game eventhough I don't have a PS3. I'm happy to see a company sticking to it's guns on something like this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here