BioShock Infinite Gets a "Reversible Cover"

Pages PREV 1 2 3

I love number 4 it's really nice like something you would find in an old library :)

(disregarding other posts after OP because of realization) This, this right here is a damned-graceful way of dealing with people who make a big ol' deal about cover art (like it somehow effects the gameplay, storyline, outcome, etc) I like this plan and will put in my two cents on the vote.

Personally, I did like the original cover (get your pitchforks and torches out), because it displayed a main character for the series. I know it is cliche in other games to do that, but bioshock had only done it once previous with Bioshock 2 (I didn't hear smack about it then). I think the reason people don't like this style is because of the content is 'human A' they want to see some monstrosity or the like, as if we hate humans for some reason (self hate?) So if the option is available, I bet that the songbird cover would win... if its an option mind you.

My favorite are 6 & 4. While the ink-and-paper vibe of #4 is pretty cool, the logo itself seems like they just took a big stamp and smashed it on. It doesn't really go with the rest of the cover. I voted for #6.

4th one all the way. It's amazing. Kinda weird that design No2 isn't getting any attention. When you take a closer look at it, it's actually incredible. 4, 6 and 2 are awesome.

They did what I said they should do. Which is why I'm taking all the credit for this. Now give me all your monies.

The standard cover looks like the guy is just a standee who's being knocked over, seriously.

I like number five the best. That said I've never bought a bioshock game, I just played it at a friends house.

Don't like any of them. Guess I'd prefer number six.

#4, it's unique, to put it simply.

BishopofAges:
Personally, I did like the original cover (get your pitchforks and torches out), because it displayed a main character for the series. I know it is cliche in other games to do that, but bioshock had only done it once previous with Bioshock 2 (I didn't hear smack about it then).

In order:

Bioshock (1) was less about the main character than it was about the City of Rapture and its decent into the underwater hell it became. Your player only became an actor in that story near the very end. There was also the idea that your body changed based on your decisions and plasmids (or at least it was in the original design document), so the character really was done in a way to allow the imagination fill in what you looked like and actually having a face to that kind of ruined that idea.

Bioshock 2 had your character (big daddy) and his relationship with his protected (the grown up little sister) as the core of the plot. In this case, it does make some sense to have him on the cover.

From what we know about Bioshock Infinite, the character who is driving the plot forward is Elizabeth, not the player character (who appears to be essentially a hired gun to exfiltrate her from Columbia). It would make more sense in the past pattern to keep the focus on the driver of the plot than to put the player character on it.

-----

On topic: In order of preference: 4, 6, 1.

Also, I like this idea of having a second/reversible cover for most games. Let marketing do the main cover and let the art department work on the second cover.

The Gentleman:

In order:

Bioshock (1) was less about the main character than it was about the City of Rapture and its decent into the underwater hell it became. Your player only became an actor in that story near the very end. There was also the idea that your body changed based on your decisions and plasmids (or at least it was in the original design document), so the character really was done in a way to allow the imagination fill in what you looked like and actually having a face to that kind of ruined that idea.

Bioshock 2 had your character (big daddy) and his relationship with his protected (the grown up little sister) as the core of the plot. In this case, it does make some sense to have him on the cover.

From what we know about Bioshock Infinite, the character who is driving the plot forward is Elizabeth, not the player character (who appears to be essentially a hired gun to exfiltrate her from Columbia). It would make more sense in the past pattern to keep the focus on the driver of the plot than to put the player character on it.

When I played through Bioshock 1 I felt that the main focus was both the city and the choices you made in it, in a sense making the main character fill out the plot no matter the choice he made (maybe I felt more this way because I played the good guy) It is very true that Bioshock 2 was focused on Delta and little (older) sister, but as far as cover art goes, Bioshock 1 made it look more like the Giant Soulless walking Fridge of a Big Daddy was the focus, and although they were a metaphor for the downfall and corruption of the city, I don't feel that theme without playing the game, so the cover art value is a bit mysterious when getting a first look.

I do agree with your choices for the redo of the cover art, except for 1, 1 seems a bit sparse, I liked 4, 5,and 6 in no particular order just because of the content is very telling. If 1 was the first cover with the title and everything on it, one wouldn't know what the game is about really at first look.

BishopofAges:
I do agree with your choices for the redo of the cover art, except for 1, 1 seems a bit sparse, I liked 4, 5,and 6 in no particular order just because of the content is very telling. If 1 was the first cover with the title and everything on it, one wouldn't know what the game is about really at first look.

I'm of the school that says it is better to have too little than too much in a cover.

For example:

If we're going for quality covers, let's go for the one that actually looks like it's from a Space Opera.

The Gentleman:

I'm of the school that says it is better to have too little than too much in a cover.

For example:

Fair enough, I just thought the background of number 1 was a bit... bland, maybe if she were standing in the background of the original, I'd be more inclined to vote it up, but from the looks of it number 4 is going to win.

They all don't really look like any fuck was given, do they? More like "Hey, I want 5 alternative covers by 2pm today."

hazabaza1:
I like 2 or 6.
I also find it really funny that they've gone "Hmm, people hate the cover? Let's give them the same cover but with a lady on it!
GENIUS!"

How many covers feature a female character? Next to none.

purf:
They all don't really look like any fuck was given, do they? More like "Hey, I want 5 alternative covers by 2pm today."

I think several of them look pretty good. I voted for #4 (even though I will only ever buy a digital copy) and I bet his (Ken's) favorite is #6, reminiscent of his cover for Bioshock.

Your Gaffer:

hazabaza1:
I like 2 or 6.
I also find it really funny that they've gone "Hmm, people hate the cover? Let's give them the same cover but with a lady on it!
GENIUS!"

Well, yeah, good point.
Except for the fact that you're completely wrong.

While the focus of the cover in many may not be the female characters, and I know someone is going to go "but that one looks sexist so it doesn't count!" the fact of the matter is that other than the ones I posted, there's a fucking lot of game covers with female characters on it to prove you wrong with.
Do some research next time, eh?

I'm torn between #4 and #6, but I am leaning pretty heavily towards #4, not sure exactly why. I'm just drawn to it.

Number 4 all the way. It just has... something.

Anywho, awesome red ink cover or generic American Spunkgargleweewee cover or no cover at all, I can't wait for the game to come out :D

hazabaza1:

Your Gaffer:

hazabaza1:
I like 2 or 6.
GENIUS!"

Well, yeah, good point.

snip

You make my point for me! Even cherry picking titles you have to include several where women are not even the focus, just on the cover somewhere. Pathetic.

Why don't you follow this link:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_4924903011_ln?rh=n%3A4924903011%2Ck%3Axbox&keywords=xbox&ie=UTF8&qid=1355852883&scn=4924903011&h=7ae98540ddaac08039d0777d8edc926d294820f4
Go through game by game, and tell me what percentage of the covers feature a female, ANYWHERE on the cover.

Your Gaffer:

hazabaza1:

Your Gaffer:

Well, yeah, good point.

snip

You make my point for me! Even cherry picking titles you have to include several where women are not even the focus, just on the cover somewhere. Pathetic.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_4924903011_ln?rh=n%3A4924903011%2Ck%3Axbox&keywords=xbox&ie=UTF8&qid=1355852883&scn=4924903011&h=7ae98540ddaac08039d0777d8edc926d294820f4
Go through game by game, and tell me what percentage of the covers feature a female, ANYWHERE on the cover.

You know what?
No. I am not your bitch to search through games in one generation on one console to find a pointless percentage.
You said that "nearly no" games had females on the cover and you were fucking wrong. That's it. If you or someone else wants to scour through this so you can complain about a stupid non-issue then feel fucking free, but I'm not going to waste my time so I can argue with you.

hazabaza1:

Your Gaffer:

hazabaza1:

Well, yeah, good point.

snip

You know what?
No. I am not your bitch to search through games in one generation on one console to find a pointless percentage.
You said that "nearly no" games had females on the cover and you were fucking wrong. That's it. If you or someone else wants to scour through this so you can complain about a stupid non-issue then feel fucking free, but I'm not going to waste my time so I can argue with you.

Now you retreat into semantics. What a feeble attempt at argument.

Am I the only one that likes #1? I don't know why but I like the way she's looking at me, and I don't mean that in a creepy way.

Your Gaffer:

Trying to sound like a bond villain isn't going to win you any arguments either. It's most terribly droll.

Your Gaffer:

hazabaza1:

Your Gaffer:

You know what?

I'm not breaking into semantics. You said a statement, I spent 5 minutes thinking of titles off the top of my head, finding the images and posting them to show otherwise, you then expanded the requirements of "must be prominent" and "must be found within a 250 page list".

I provided evidence contrary to what you initially said so you respond by giving me a massively time consuming task that I obviously won't fulfill so therefore I'm proved wrong?
Please. Again, if you really want to give me precise percentages then by all means knock yourself out, but I have better things to do.

4, looks like a freaky childrens book.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or