THQ Earns Bundle For Charity

THQ Earns Bundle For Charity

The Humble THQ Bundle is over, with more than 885,000 bundles sold.

885,000+ bundles later, the THQ folks can rest easy knowing that it raised a bundle for charity. In total, over $5 million was raised by people who plunked down a chunk of change for the likes of Company of Heroes, Darksiders and Metro 2033.

Though the average bundler paid just $5.76 for the THQ sale, THQ president Jason Rubin remains the top contributor, with $10,000 paid out. The whole point behind the bundle, in case you don't already know, is that you give what you like, dividing the cash amongst the charities, or the developer, as you wish. The very top contributors gave away something in the region of $1,000-$1,750, so Rubin went very much above and beyond the call.

Congratulations to all involved! Here's hoping that THQ, which hasn't been doing that well of late, gets through its troubles and goes on to better things.

Source: Joystiq

Blimey. That's a decent wad of cash.

As I have no clue whatsoever how these massive numbers interact with the economic system/games industry as a whole, just how much does this several-million cash injection (if it can be simplified to that degree) actually mean for THQ? Is it a big deal that actually guarantees several months of fiscal solvency? Is it just a drop where they'd need an entire bucket? Is it a good thing but not half as significant as the stock price hike?

Can someone clue me in here?

THQ just needs to last long enough to release Stick of Truth. If I were more cynical and selfish I would say the best case scenario would be for them to go bankrupt just after the release so that retailers start to deeply discount the game more quickly since they can't return it to the publisher.

I didn't give THQ a penny and I'm glad of it.

mad825:

"Il enjoy your games but fuck giving you money!"

I will never understand some 'people'

See? You treat your customers right, they give you money. Honestly, I already had all the games from this pack I consider worth playing, but I chipped in a few bucks just on principle.

FelixG:

mad825:

Who said he enjoys their games?

MrTub:

FelixG:

mad825:

Who said he enjoys their games?

Well in context to the article, the post does insinuate he bought the bundle but donated all the money to charity and running costs.

I'm liking that the average price overall is exactly what I paid for it.

I hope THQ can carry on. They make some very good games, and take some chances in doing so. We need more of that, not less.

mad825:

It's people like you that are killing the industry.
THQ has made some of the best games out there, and yet you take those games and give nothing in return.

RicoADF:

mad825:

And the irony of that is they did it to themselves.

mad825:

Did you at least give some to CHARITY?

doggie015:

mad825:

Did you at least give some to CHARITY?

Erm, sure. Why wouldn't I? I just edited the publisher/THQ section and left the rest alone.

Alien Mole:
Blimey. That's a decent wad of cash.

As I have no clue whatsoever how these massive numbers interact with the economic system/games industry as a whole, just how much does this several-million cash injection (if it can be simplified to that degree) actually mean for THQ? Is it a big deal that actually guarantees several months of fiscal solvency? Is it just a drop where they'd need an entire bucket? Is it a good thing but not half as significant as the stock price hike?

Can someone clue me in here?

THQs reported losses last year were to the tune of 30 million USD.

Not much, in short.

RicoADF:

I'm sure propping up your company on uDraw, shitty commercial tie-ins, and incomplete games had nothing to do with it.

FelixG:

Are these people fictitious? Aliens? Hipsters? I'm just curious due to the use of certain pieces of "punctuation" involved.

Thankfully, THQ seems to be adult enough to understand that people will do this, or they never would have offered up "pay what you want" and risk the perceived "loss" of money.

It's a shame they didn't try that earlier.

(I kid the hipsters)

mad825:

RicoADF:

mad825:

And the irony of that is they did it to themselves.

Well yes their obsession to wrestling and other tie in games was stupid in heinsight. Personally the only games I played were the dawn of war, company of heroes, red faction and saints row kind. Out of all of them, DoW 2 was the only one that I felt let me down. But thats my subjective opinion.

I was glad to pay above the average. Saints Row 3 is worthy enough and now I have game collections to give people.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here