Polish Man Answers His Iron

Pages PREV 1 2

SonOfVoorhees:
The guy is an idiot, look at him smiling away there so the rest of the world can ridicule him. lol. If this happened to me, last thing i would do is have my picture taken by the paper.

Well maybe he's just a good sport about it.
OT: I have to admit I find this hard to believe. But hey, sillier things have happened and at least the guy's okay.

Zykon TheLich:

Owyn_Merrilin:
That awkward moment when a racist joke becomes reality. The "stupid polack" joke was once a cornerstone of racist jokes, now we see it brought to life. That doubly awkward moment when you're really not sure how to point that out without looking like a racist yourself.

Thanks for saving me that awkward moment, you racist! :D

I remember my parents had a box collection of joke books from the 70's and one of them was a Polish joke book. From the intro the book made it clear that most Polish jokes were like most Texas A&M Aggie jokes--made up by the Poles themselves, not others.

Was that an exception to the rule, to the best of anyone's knowledge? I barely remember that book, it's been so long since I read it.

A question about semantics: How is a Polish joke a 'racist' joke? That sounds like calling jokes about Americans or Russians 'racist'. Or are most Poles from a particular ethnic stock like the Japanese??

I'm honestly curious. And I haven't had my coffee this morning.

Copper Zen:

Difference between the literal meaning of a word and it's everyday use.

Copper Zen:
Or are most Poles from a particular ethnic stock like the Japanese??

Well, yes and no. Allow me to explain.

If you take a random Pole off the street, there's a very good chance he had members of almost all European nations in his ancestry. Probably also some Jewish ancestors somewhere up the line. That's because Poland used to be the most ethnically diverse European country, all the way up to WW2.

On the other hand, Poland was behind the Iron Curtain, and as such subject to Stalin's ideas about national segregation. The sizeable minorities were forcibly deported to their respective countries. To this day, there are practically no large ethnic minorities in Poland (although it's starting to change).

So in terms of genetic diversity, it's pretty big over here. However, take any Pole, and it's almost certain they will be Western Slavic, Catholic (baptized and raised, although the proportion of practicing has been steadily falling) and speak Polish as their first language.

Thus, a "Polish joke" could conceivably be considered as aimed at a particular ethnicity. Hope I've satisfied your curiosity.

OT: Not a very reliable source, and I don't think the "similar object" holds much water either, unless his phone weighs a ton. But still, it's one of those situations you never think would happen, until they do.

Then he used his solar powered flashlight to find his way back to his submarine which he entered through the screen door.

Copper Zen:

Zykon TheLich:

Owyn_Merrilin:
That awkward moment when a racist joke becomes reality. The "stupid polack" joke was once a cornerstone of racist jokes, now we see it brought to life. That doubly awkward moment when you're really not sure how to point that out without looking like a racist yourself.

Thanks for saving me that awkward moment, you racist! :D

I remember my parents had a box collection of joke books from the 70's and one of them was a Polish joke book. From the intro the book made it clear that most Polish jokes were like most Texas A&M Aggie jokes--made up by the Poles themselves, not others.

Was that an exception to the rule, to the best of anyone's knowledge? I barely remember that book, it's been so long since I read it.

A question about semantics: How is a Polish joke a 'racist' joke? That sounds like calling jokes about Americans or Russians 'racist'. Or are most Poles from a particular ethnic stock like the Japanese??

It's because they're basically dumb blonde jokes, but about Poles, and usually nastier than your average blond joke. And yeah, if the jokes were usually written by Poles, that's news to me. I always understood it to be the kind of joke the KKK chuckled at -- or more to the point, members of the Know Nothing Party back in the 19th century.

Edit: As for the ethnicity thing, "white" as an ethnicity is very much a 20th century thing. It used to be that every little corner of Europe was considered it's own ethnicity, with it only becoming integrated as Americans got used to having people from there around. Especially in, say, the late 19th century, people from Eastern and Northern Europe (including the Polish) were heavily discriminated against. If you go back further, the Irish were just as hated.

Shame you didn't do the rest of the joke.

"But why are both your ears burnt?", the doctor asks.

"Well," the patient says, "the phone rang again...."

What on earth is happening? Two "news" articles on things that have absolutely NOTHING to do with gaming, movies or anything this website is about at all. Is the Escapist aiming for a broader demographic now? Curve balls are tolerable once in a while, but this trend is now concerning.

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, but the first thing I thought of was this;

Well I have heard those sex lines can be rather hot.

Well, I'm sure getting his injury treated became a pressing matter.

And he must've been expecting a really important call if he picked up the iron so fast he didn't notice what he was actually holding. But hey, at least he has a fun story to tell his kids.

Hmmm, Slow news day. bet there's some sliding on a banana peel about now

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or