Scientists Make Shocking Sports Game Breakthrough

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scientists Make Shocking Sports Game Breakthrough

Researchers have discovered that the average sports videogame fan is a white guy who likes sports.

It's a burning question that's hung, unanswered, over the videogame industry for years: Who is buying all those Madden games? Thanks to research conducted by Concordia University Professor of Communications Mia Consalvo, working in conjunction with Abraham Stein and Konstantin Mitgutsch of the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab, we now know.

An online survey of 1718 sports videogame fans found that 98.4 percent are male, 93.3 percent are sports fans, 80 percent are white and have an average age of 26 years. The results of the research are almost exactly what most of us would have expected, a fact not lost on Consalvo.

"Perhaps one of the biggest findings to emerge from this study is unsurprising, but finally documented. The overwhelming majority of sports gamers' - 93.3 percent - self-identify as sports fans," she said. "That identity pushes beyond the playing of sports-themed videogames. Attending sporting events, watching them on television, participating in those activities themselves as well as following certain teams or sports were regular parts of their daily lives."

Despite the breakthrough, the work isn't done. Consalvo, who also holds a Canada Research Chair in Game Studies and Design, said the next step is to figure out why there is so little diversity among fans of the genre, and why females "seem to be in the minority."

"While this study provides new insights into who sports videogame players are and what they play and why, we still lack knowledge on how these players relate their passion for video games to their sports fandom in general," she explained.

The research is being conducted in support of a book being written by Consalvo, Stein and Mitsgutsch entitled Sports Videogames.

Source: GamePolitics

And the award for The biggest "no shit" moment of this year goes to...

The scales fell from my eyes.
i..i cant find the words to describe this feeling.
i must go now and live the rest of my life in solitude in tibet until i enter nirvana.

wait, only 93.3% are sports fans?

who are the 6.7% masochists that aren't sports fans but still play sports games?

Who is this 6.7% who buy sports game despite not liking sports? We must find these people and test them with electrodes and ink blots.

The best part of this isn't that it took a research project to figure this out, but that it took three scientists and two schools to figure this out.

And yes, to address any party poopers, I am aware that this is only a small part of a larger project.

DustyDrB:
Who is this 6.7% who buy sports game despite not liking sports? We must find these people and test them with electrodes and ink blots.

my theory would be that the 6.7% are grandparents and dads that buy them for someone else.

or EA employees forced to buy them on john riccitiellos orders.

If they want to save time I can answer their question on diversity. 94% of people who use ESPN are male. Most sports fans are male, there is still a slight bias towards males on these sort of games. So that is why most sports game players are male. And the reason most people who play sports games like sport, is because well, they like sport

rhizhim:
The scales fell from my eyes.
i..i cant find the words to describe this feeling.
i must go now and live the rest of my life in solitude in tibet until i enter nirvana.

wait, only 93.3% are sports fans?

who are the 6.7% masochists that aren't sports fans but still play sports games?

This is exactly what I wanted to comment on. 6.7% so nearly 7 in every 100 people playing a sports game don't like sport?

rhizhim:

DustyDrB:

my theory would be that the 6.7% are grandparents and dads that buy them for someone else.

or EA employees forced to buy them on john riccitiellos orders.

Well, to be fair, I played the heck out of NBA Jam when I was a kid, despite not being all that much into basketball (or sports in general). The 6.7% could easily be people who like, say, playing video games with sport-loving friends more than watching TV with said friends, or who like, say, "calling the shots" more than watching other people do so.

I'm actually a little surprised that only 6.7% of people who buy sports games don't like sports. I'd have expected it to be more in the 10-20% range.

Wow thanks researchers. I've always wondered about why I, here sitting in my Liverpool shirt, may like sport games. Who'd have though that my fondness of football was in some way connected to me enjoying football video games and being male, coincidently the largest demographic for most spectator sports. I can only imagine the years of serious research and investigation that must have gone into reaching this conclusion, surely these researchers have powers of deduction worthy of Sherlock Holmes himself.

Err... yes massive sarcasm, I know.

98.4% male?! Impossible, I saw a woman or two on these forums claim that 40% of all gamers across all genres are female.

To quote one of the great sages of our time, Phillip J. Fry: "I'm shocked. Shocked! ...Well, not that shocked."

In all honesty, this may be one of the most pointless wastes of time and resources I've ever heard of. I could have told you this for nothing.

I suppose you're right. This validation of a preconceived notion proves that there's really no value in testing such notions. After all, no significant discoveries have ever been made that were unexpected, right?

Not the sort of information im ready to stomach during an eyestrain migrane.

Aaron Sylvester:
98.4% male?! Impossible, I saw a woman or two on these forums claim that 40% of all gamers across all genres are female.

I think we arent explicitly talking about gamers here.

Hilarious article. Can I have government funding to find out the average buyer of CoD games? It'll take 2 years and I'll require a team of 6 underneath me, all women. Cause equality and stuff.

I guess this is why we're not colonizing Mars yet.

Well, that was research money well spent!

i vote really!!! so much money wasted on something most people already knew

I really wish I could get paid to do this level of mind blowing work. As it is if I came to my boss pointing out the blatantly obvious, he'd be pointing at the door.

AldUK:
Hilarious article. Can I have government funding to find out the average buyer of CoD games? It'll take 2 years and I'll require a team of 6 underneath me, all women. Cause equality and stuff.

I guess this is why we're not colonizing Mars yet.

that and i think we lose the people that would have gotten us there to wars or what not

DustyDrB:

Well, that 6.7% may be like me. They don't enjoy watching sports, but they like playing them, and that includes video games involving them. I personally don't enjoy basketball at all, but I have played the shit out of NBA 2k12.

OT: Why would you need an experiment to determine most sports games players are young, male, sports fans. Plus, why do they even need to do that, what do we gain.

Captch: Generation. Well yes, I suppose the current generation also enjoys sports games.

Tony2077:
i vote really!!! so much money wasted on something most people already knew

Well, to be fair: we didn't know, we just had a strong suspicion.

That said: coloured female Madden fans who don't like sports can now feel truly secure in their unique-ness. It is not often one can ask: "am I the only one who....?", and be answered with a triumphant "YES! YOU ARE A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE!".

The remaining 7% non-sports fans are amateur bookkeepers making predictions.

I feel bad for people who have to do test like this. The kind of test where you know the answer but you to do it so that you can point to an official study instead of using hearsay. I salute you, scientist of the obvious! Your sacrifice of interesting study for necessary studies will not be forgotten!

Aaron Sylvester:

Over 90% male?! Impossible, I saw 40% of these gamers claim that they were women and..

>_>

oh god why

(inb4 MMO)

Wow... next thing you know they'll be telling you that they discovered water is wet!

Tomorrow's study...98.4% of MMO players claim that 9 out of 10 friends are in their guild. (Please don't hurt me too bad)

I don't see why anybody is taking about this? Why is this news?

I can fully understand having to confirm a hypothesis, to proove a greater theory.

DrunkOnEstus:
Tomorrow's study...98.4% of MMO players claim that 9 out of 10 friends are in their guild. (Please don't hurt me too bad)

9 out of ten members of their guild are their friends, but I doubt that 9 out of ten of their friends are in their guild. That is a somewhat narrow base of friends. It could also be due to a narrow sample size, focused on areas where MMOs are the most popular (Korea?).

I know three people who play MMOs, and consider me a friend. I doubt I account for that "one in ten" for all three individuals.

Must be a lot of funding going around if this is what they're studying.

And since everything meaningful has already been said (summed up as no duh), let me personally state that I am glad they used THE WORLD'S (GRIDIRON) FOOTBALL TEAM (the steelers) as the thumbnail, because clearly only the best should be used for this article.

EDIT: Though im curious to know what the criteria of being a "sports fan" entails cause thats probably why nearly 7% labeled themselves not as such.

I feel the incredible need to post this picture

Because really, why waste all that perfectly good money when i'm right here? Could have just gave me the money instead...

OK, I need about $ 2 billion cash in funding for a study to prove that most people driving cars also own driving licenses.

Holy hell I can't believe this. 98% male and 93.3% sports fans?

I... I can't explain how relieved I am to hear this news. I've been pondering this question for years. FINALLY, now I can sleep easy at night knowing one of life's greatest mysteries is solved.

What next? People over the age of 50 have wrinkles around their eyes? Twilight fans are predominantly teenage girls? The majority of people who listen to rap wear their trousers around their ankles? Most drivers have driving licenses and insurance?

Fucking Science. Put those great minds to good use; unless this is how great minds like to wind down on a Friday evening with a nice mug of hot chocolate - taking useless and mundane surveys.

How is someone who takes a survey a scientist anyway? I could do that and I practically failed my sciences at A-Level.

So the white man is responsible for this...knew it

Who... Why? was it that necessary to have scientists researching these? who put them to do it? And who was so lost as to actually wanting to know that male white guys play are the ones that play the most sports games?

Name _Tippy2k2
Male [X] Yes [ ] No
Sports Fan [X] Yes [ ] No
White [X] Yes [ ] No
Age _26_

...holy shit! I'm the perfect sports gamer!

Although I suppose this isn't quite true. I have owned most major sport games (except basketball because...well...I hate basketball) but I don't follow most sports. The only sport I actively follow is football, although I suppose I watch Soccer (really any of it since ESPN seems to be under the impression that Americans explode if a soccer game is on TV), MLB, or NHL (oh wait...) when the possibilities arise.

DustyDrB:

That would be "My grandma bought it for me", or the occasional freak such as me who likes a sports game or two but doesn't identify as a "sports fan" (why watch it when you can play it yourself? Or pretend you're the coach for the team, if nothing else?).

This has to be fake, next thing they'll tell us is that people who buy puzzle games like puzzles!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here