Call Goes Out For Shooter Cease Fire

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Call Goes Out For Shooter Cease Fire

In the wake of the Connecticut school shooting, a call has gone out for a show of shooter support.

The tragic deaths at Sandy Hook have prompted GamerFitNation's President and founder, Antwand Pearman, to ask that gamers make a show of support for the families of those killed. The support takes the form of one day where gamers worldwide will stop playing shooters; the day of cease fire will take place from 12am December 21st, and conclude 12am December 22nd.

Pearman says that this stand is not intended to raise money, nor is it meant as some kind of game-blame. "We are simply making a statement that we as Gamers are not going to sit back and ignore the lives that were lost," says Pearman. "Instead we will embrace the families with our love and support." Full details, including means of participation, can be found on this Facebook page. Over 1,400 gamers have already confirmed that they will cease fire for the day.

GamerFitNation is a gaming lifestyle and health website founded by Pearman, a chef and amateur boxer. The Facebook plea has attracted its share of likes; though a small number of comments were wary - "the media will use this very force against us", said Isaiah Johnson - most were supportive, and willing to down virtual firearms for one day.

Source: VG24/7

I have to agree with Isaiah here. The media has used lesser excuses to blame games in the past. This may well seem like a guilt trip to some people.

It's a lovely thought but it's one I'm personally not ready to support. Even though I do feel so very sorry those parents and friends who lost someone.

My condolences to the families, but I will still play my games thanks.

Chyeah, good luck with this. Since when have the majority of gamers been compassionate enough to take up any cause except playing Half Life 2 to try and get Valves attention. As others have stated, this is perfect bait for fuckwits like Fox News to latch onto.

Eh, I can roll with this. No Borderlands 2, ME3, or Bulletstorm for 24 hours? Sure.

Besides, I was always more of a melee person anyway. This gives me more time to brush up my mad SCV skeelz. :D

Now, I have no problem with this, but I just can't stop thinking "how"?

Just how is people not playing a certain genre of video games going to help anything?

Still, I might take part in this too, Dawn of War isn't a shooter, right?

I don't even play shooters so, yay I am doing charity without actually doing anything, or something like charity.

I am going to be honest I am not sure how this helps anybody.

No thanks. Not unless people are also going to stop doing ironing, washing up and everything else that had nothing to do with this.

Better idea- Spec Ops: The Line free to play day, and see how many people you can get to play that. THEN an online shooter cease fire might just happen organically for a few days. ...or at least only the sociopaths will be the ones playing.

It's a nice gesture, but I fail to see what good it's going to do as I doubt many of the friends and families of those lost are even going to know about it or know who participated. Besides, when they say 12am is that EST or PST or what?

I am all for showing respect and support for tragedy, especially if I can do it with my favorite pass time but there are better ways to do it than this. Despite his statement that he wasn't blaming games, asking gamers to stop playing an entire genre because it tangentially deals with the same action as a tragedy still feels a bit like an accusation.

The 21st will not be the day I skip attempting to beat Metro 2033 on ranger hardcore. I don't mean to be disrespectful of this event, it's just that I'll pay my respects in my own way.

You might not see this as 'game blame' Mr Pearman, but nonetheless this will serve as ammunition (no pun intended) to every lazy, sensationalist, borderline fascist fuck-tard who wants an easy target to prey on. Please do not do this. Show support to the families by continuing on as normal, and showing that one lone nut with a gun is not going to make the whole world just stop, because that's exactly what they want. Do not bring games into this, at all, in any context, because no good will come of it for anyone concerned.

We do stuff like this, well intentioned or not, we just draw attention away from the actual issues that need attention, whether they be access to firearms, the media's glorification of such events and morbid idolization of their perpetrators, or the continuing stigma and lack of understanding surrounding mental health issues. These are all things that need to be talked about at least, in some degree. Games are not.

Now COD, No Halo, No Borderlands, No Blacklight: Retribution...

*has minecraft on XBox*

Im in.

Cpu46:
The 21st will not be the day I skip attempting to beat Metro 2033 on ranger hardcore. I don't mean to be disrespectful of this event, it's just that I'll pay my respects in my own way.

Sounds like you're already doing some serious self-flagellation there, that skill level is BRUTAL.

On a more serious note, I can sort of see both sides on this one: on the one hand, it's like flying flags at half-mast: a symbolic "we know you're hurting and we sympathize" gesture. On the other hand, flags, unlike FPSes, have never been blamed for school shootings, and there's a good chance the "new media are evil" types will see this as a chance to say "see? Even gamers know violent games are responsible for this! Time for a ban!"

Yea nah, this is dumb. In fact, I might just go boot up one of the Postal games in retaliation for gamers feeling they owe anyone anything or have guilt for playing a video-game.

Yeah I don't like the sound of this, by not playing a FPS intentionally it would almost make me feel like I was accepting that FPS had anything to do with this. It's a nice sentiment but count me out for the moment

I love campaigns like this, it means I get to have the super good feeling of helping others without providing any actual help. Awesome!

eh no
this looks way too much like guilt
and why do we need a special "gamers show sympathy" thing? i mean there is no "not watching movies with guns in them" and "not reading books with guns in them" and nobody would get the idea to do this because it is rather silly. everybody who feels the need to express their sympathies probably already did, in special church services or they sacrificed a goat or something.

and even IF we decided to do something like this wouldn't is be better to do something ingame like deliberately not kill or force everybody to play through spec ops before starting up cod or halo

I can see the sentiment behind the idea, but such a gesture could (and probably would) be taken by certain segments of the media as almost an admission of guilt on the part of those games and those that play them. So I won't be participating.

What happened was tragic, but this is not the way to show support for those affected.

Pass this is just gonna end up as another soundbite for FOX. GAMERS ADMIT VIOLENT VIDEOGAME CONNECTION TO SHOOTINGS. You can put $20 on that headline.

No. This has nothing to do with gamers, and nothing to do with games. I don't think gamers should be dragged into this in any way, god knows we're already a scapegoat for violence like this.

I have mixed feelings about this. First, things like this are usually to raise awareness of something. Take any of the cancer walks: Sure they raise money, but the point is to say, "whoa, there are a lot of people who are either afflicted by this or know someone who is". There is no awareness to be raised by doing something like this. Everyone is going to know about this for the next 50 years. You cannot get away from it now, if you wanted to. It's a tragedy and no one would argue otherwise, but this is simply more sensationalism for a hot button topic. This goes perfectly in line with all the stupid politicians who are yelling, "we have to do something about this!", but then don't even have the slightest clue about could be done to prevent this (the fact is nothing can be done prevent things that are impossible to foresee).

Second: I can't believe the immature attitude of some people in regards to this. You don't have like, you can ignore it. By doing something that is deliberately against the spirit of what it's purports to be trying to do is just stupid. You are not making a statement by purposely playing games you would otherwise not simply because of how they are similar to this event, you are simply being obtuse and it doesn't come off any other way. A day without shooter, OMG, why would anyone ever ask that of me or anyone?!?

As an aside, December 21st, really? Why pick such a sensationalized date? Why not Wednesday the 26th, or Thursday the 20th?

In all seriousness, no, I will continue to play my games and think nothing of it. While my heart certainly goes out to the families affected by the shooting, games and gamers were not the cause of it. So I will not be a part of this.

Why should the whole world stop gaming just because one country has hopeless gun control?

How about we go a day without spending any money too, for Greece?

We may as well not eat either, for nations that are starving, and be outside all day for those places without adequate housing.

Look, it's a shitty situation, and no parent should ever have to outlive their children, but not only is an online ceasefire going to achieve absolutely zilch, asking for the whole world to do it is just incredibly arrogant. It's not like anyone asks for a total fire ban worldwide in the aftermath of a gruesome bushfire in just one country, is it? How innapropriate would that seem to people in Siberia, for example?

Squilookle:
Why should the whole world stop gaming just because one country has hopeless gun control?

We may as well not eat either, for nations that are starving, and be outside all day for those places without adequate housing.

Look, it's a shitty situation, and no parent should ever have to outlive their children, but not only is an online ceasefire going to achieve absolutely zilch, asking for the whole world to do it is just incredibly arrogant. It's not like anyone asks for a total fire ban worldwide in the aftermath of a gruesome bushfire in just one country, is it? How innapropriate would that seem to people in Siberia, for example?

LoL, it was only a matter of time before someone started yelling gun control. By making it about gun control you miss the whole point. A person wanted to take the lives of these people, and no amount of gun control would have prevented that. He would have used homemade pipebombs, or taken a knife and started killing people. It's a mental health issue more than anything.

Baresark:

Squilookle:

LoL, it was only a matter of time before someone started yelling gun control.

As in, a call to improve it, or just mentioning it?

My big fear is how the televised media may look at this. While those behind the idea do not intend for this to be used to fuel the fire of video game blame, I can't help but feel the rest of the media will latch onto this and use it as an excuse to spread their anti-video game views.

All the while it's a nice sentiment and my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those affect by this horrific tragedy.

Squilookle:

Baresark:

Squilookle:

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to post right away, I was going to expand on what I was saying. My hand jumped to the mouse so quick I could barely stop it. It's not a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue. This person wanted to kill and the lack of guns would not have stopped him.

Ok so on the 21st i shall resort to shooting things in UMvC3 with my team of Deadpool, Chris and Dante.

Or i could spend the day playing Serious Sam 3 out of spite.

Tough choice.

Baresark:

Squilookle:

Baresark:

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to post right away, I was going to expand on what I was saying. My hand jumped to the mouse so quick I could barely stop it. It's not a gun control issue. It's a mental health issue. This person wanted to kill and the lack of guns would not have stopped him.

Hmm I'm not so sure about that, but perhaps at the outset I should have just said 'astronomical annual gun fatalities' instead of mentioning gun control.

Yeah, no. Like others have mentioned, most sane people can see that video games had nothing to do with the event at all, and doing something like this is almost an acknowledgement that they did, which would just be wrong. Although to be fair I may end up doing it unintentionally, considering I've been playing Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles recently.

10 bucks on trolls playing against trolls.

This is a very bad idea. Like stupidly bad. The only thing this will do is somehow link the shooting to playing FPS games (more so than what sensationalist media has already done). Hell it reminds me of stuff like that Earth hour or whatever (the one where you don't use any electronics or anything that takes power), or stuff like give up smoking and drinking for a day. In short it draws stark similarities to those campaigns that seek to get people to give up some vice which they know is bad for them/ the community. In reality this shooting had nothing to do with it, but even with no spinning this makes it look like the FPS community is somehow responsible and this is some sort of penance. Really, really bad idea.

Baresark:
LoL, it was only a matter of time before someone started yelling gun control. By making it about gun control you miss the whole point. A person wanted to take the lives of these people, and no amount of gun control would have prevented that. He would have used homemade pipebombs, or taken a knife and started killing people. It's a mental health issue more than anything.

Its a lot easier to take peoples lives with a gun, than with a knife or a bomb. You may not know, but during the same time that this shooting happened a very similar event was taking place in China where a man attacked children with a knife. The main difference was he wasn't able to kill anyone. Hell he injured a lot of people, but the end result was no where near as bad as the recent american shooting.

You're right this is about mental health. The thing is though, most people don't recognize their ill, or they just suddenly snap. By having them snap in a situation where access to deadly weapons is readily available you greatly magnify the damage they can cause.

Baresark:

Squilookle:
-snip-

Too true: Crazy is always Crazy no matter what is restricted. Of course guns do make killing a lot easier than other weaponry.

Video Games have about as much to do with the massacre as Christopher Nolan did with the one a few months back. That being said, I'm still going to refrain from playing any shooters that day. Not as an acknowledgement that video games did cause it but as a sign of respect. I don't see why this is meeting with so much open hostility here...if anything it's that hostility that's going to give fans of the game and the games in general a bad reputation.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here