Call Goes Out For Shooter Cease Fire

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Why shooters? Why not puzzle games? Why not Bejewled? Why not chest? Why not stop playing checkers? Why not stop building model ariplanes for a day? Your show of support is supposed to somehow be related to the thing that is happening. If you want to stop a hobby to show support why not ask shooting ranges to close for a day or a few hours? This seems so tangential you mind as well be asking us to preform some arbitrary act. Why not just collect money then? You can do something with that. You mind as well be asking us to stand on our heads to support victims of hurricanes.

It's not so much that I think this would do anything so much as I think it illustrates why Newtown is going to change anything. If you can't get people to give up Call of Honor: War Ops for 24 hours, the odds of doing anything constructive that might make a change in our culture is nonexistent.

Also, for those of you who keep arguing "BUT THEN TEH FOX NEWZ AND JACK THOMPSON WILL TAKE OUR GAMEZ FROM US IF WE STOP", two points of order need to be made.

1) Jack Thompson hasn't been relevant for years. If the best boogieman you can scrounge up is a former lawyer that has been disbarred and discredited, then maybe the forces arrayed against gaming aren't as bad as you want to believe.

2) Django Unchained and Jack Reacher's release have been pushed back. Hollywood did this without any admission that movies cause violence. If you want to look for a headline that makes gamers look bad, I would imagine that gamers refusing to stop playing FPS games for 24 hours would be a far worse headline.

I get that this whole idea is an empty, symbolic gesture towards something that a lot of people don't care about anyway. I do. But the argument that not playing FPS games for 24 hours would lead to some form of admission of guilt seem like a desperate way of justifying one's actions.

thepyrethatburns:
snip

Why should I stop doing something I enjoy just because a bunch of kids I don't know got killed?

Kids die every day, what makes this so important?

Besides, most people are against this because this is just another empty gesture whose only purpose is to make people feel like they're doing something positive without putting forth any actual effort just so they can jerk off over what good people they are.

Abandon4093:
snip

Dogstile:
snip

Granted, I probably exaggerated with how hard it was to kill someone with a knife. The brunt of the argument however was that it's harder to kill someone with a knife than with a gun(if anyhting, people can block or deflect your stab easier than they can dodge your bullet), hence the number of deaths would be much lower if guns would be controlled.

That's all. The article I linked did mention "stabbed" numerous times, though, and I'm not sure I believe the assailant was deliberately aiming for non-lethal spots like some charitable criminal.

poiumty:

Abandon4093:
snip

Dogstile:
snip

Granted, I probably exaggerated with how hard it was to kill someone with a knife. The brunt of the argument however was that it's harder to kill someone with a knife than with a gun(if anyhting, people can block or deflect your stab easier than they can dodge your bullet), hence the number of deaths would be much lower if guns would be controlled.

That's all. The article I linked did mention "stabbed" numerous times, though, and I'm not sure I believe the assailant was deliberately aiming for non-lethal spots like some charitable criminal.

A Little background: I'm a former US Marine with combat experience in Iraq, and I know a fair bit about other, more grisly topics as well. Experience, as they say, trumps a lot.
1) A knife is more dangerous then a firearm in actual close quarters combat. Period. Ask pretty much any trained professional. They'll say the same thing: knives scare me. They're very easy to use, very easy to get ahold of, and very very easy to kill with.
2)Guns are actually dangerous too. That doesn't make them any more dangerous then knives, or less dangerous. Knives are more dangerous for spur of the moment attacks, whereas guns have the edge in preplanned violence. Guns must be prepped (ammo, safety off (if it has one), round chambered, etc. Knives: grab and stab. Done. Blocking a knife DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL LIVE. Knives, and bullets, do MASSIVE amounts of damage and you can easily kill and cripple with both without much training. Finally, if you want to use statistics like every other person, here's one: the majority of homicides are not caused by guns, but by blunt force trauma: i.e., hitting someone with a HAMMER or other blunt object. Fact lesson over, return to your pointless argument.

xen0blade:

A Little background: I'm a former US Marine with combat experience in Iraq, and I know a fair bit about other, more grisly topics as well. Experience, as they say, trumps a lot.
1) A knife is more dangerous then a firearm in actual close quarters combat. Period. Ask pretty much any trained professional. They'll say the same thing: knives scare me. They're very easy to use, very easy to get ahold of, and very very easy to kill with.
2)Guns are actually dangerous too. That doesn't make them any more dangerous then knives, or less dangerous. Knives are more dangerous for spur of the moment attacks, whereas guns have the edge in preplanned violence. Guns must be prepped (ammo, safety off (if it has one), round chambered, etc. Knives: grab and stab. Done. Blocking a knife DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL LIVE. Knives, and bullets, do MASSIVE amounts of damage and you can easily kill and cripple with both without much training. Finally, if you want to use statistics like every other person, here's one: the majority of homicides are not caused by guns, but by blunt force trauma: i.e., hitting someone with a HAMMER or other blunt object. Fact lesson over, return to your pointless argument.

[citation needed]. Please show me your evidence of the frequency of school stabbings and the record for death counts last time someone went on a rampage with a knife and nothing else.

Did you know the majority of internet service providers are killed by unicorns? Yeah I can pull shit out of my ass with no evidence too. Also, I'm a former US president. Fact lesson over, return to being obnoxiously condescending.

Yeah no. Go get... Anyway, this is stupid.

First off, gaming has nothing to even remotely do with the shootings. Full stop. .

Secondly, if gaming does indeed have nothing to do with the shootings, as he states, then why are we throwing down shooters for a day? To show gamers will sit back and ignore lives that are lost?

I agree with that hilarious Spock GIF.

The logic in this is stupid. If we are going to stop shooters, then why not Zoidbe-Breathing? Why not driving? Fighting? Working? Christmas? Dog Patting? Sleeping?

Christ, it would make more sense to just give up a dollar, as that would do a lot more than some idiot trying to stop people playing shooters.

Also, screw you, I'm gonna go play some Garry's Mod/Natural Selection/TF2/Call o' Booty.

I understand that people are going through as disaster, and it doesn't have anything to even remotely to do with me, so why should I feel bad/give up things/go all depressed?

Listen, I can understand doing these things when the bad thing affects you OR it's a MAJOR HUGE INSANE disaster, AKA Earthquakes, Tsunamis and more, but when it's something around the other side of the world, I'm sorry, I have better things to do.

poiumty:

xen0blade:

[citation needed]. Please show me your evidence of the frequency of school stabbings and the record for death counts last time someone went on a rampage with a knife and nothing else.

Did you know the majority of internet service providers are killed by unicorns? Yeah I can pull shit out of my ass with no evidence too. Also, I'm a former US president. Fact lesson over, return to being obnoxiously condescending.

I found this:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

table 8. Knives and melee weapons vastly outnumbered the paltry amount of guns.

However, it shows that crime increased from 2000-4. Its all I could find, published in 2008.

This would only imply that this tragic event and video games are directly linked somehow, which they aren't.

We don't stop playing soccer when someone dies by a kick in the head, either.

Would be a fantastic message to the world if we manage to keep all online shooter servers empty for just one day.

It shows that we are not addicted to our video games. We are not mindless zombies. We are not the stereotypical, always fat, always spotty, always in a dark room, always antisocial, always adolescent, always male nerds that the mainstream media frequently portray us as.

It will show that we can act and react as a community. That we are mature, thinking people, that actually give a damn and can actually send a message to the world.

Facebook campaign or not, it is irrelevant. What matters is for the servers to stay empty for that one day.

I'd like to see Fox News and the lot try and give a negative spin to something like that... Go ahead. Just try it...

pathetic cheap and so very very hollow. How is this going to help the victims of this? Its not, are the family's going to even care? No. Its like having some random dickhead you dont even know come up to you and say "sorry for your loss" or ppl at work giving you a card signed by all the random pricks who i dont know but "they are sorry and care" Fuck that crap. If you wanna HELP then im sure there are ways to REALLY help. Not playing a video game for a day is not going to help. Pulling episodes of family guy and american dad did not help. These dicks need to focus on the root of the problem and not start up all these random crusades that do nothing but pander to the idiots. And not to be harsh but, children die everyday from starvation and war, that we do nothing about or even care......the hypocrisy is amazing.

I can't wait to go online and kill all the TF2 pacifists that are bound to show up on this day.

Is it really that hard for us people to be the bigger people and just hold our day of silence in respect. Something anything to rise above the baseless empty accusations and take a symbolical stand.

But no everybody shoots in silly defence mode blaming other things in a sarcastic way, yeah that is going to turn fox news around, they are going to see our sarcasm and reflect upon their sins.

Lets show the victims some compasion and draw attention to things like childsplay instead of a big digital b@#%# fight

Piorn:
This would only imply that this tragic event and video games are directly linked somehow, which they aren't.

We don't stop playing soccer when someone dies by a kick in the head, either.

very funny, actually a very good example. Just because it's not our fault doesn't mean we can't in anyway give ground. Common it's possible to say you regret something happened without admitting guilt.

No, I'm afraid that since they're already trying to blame Starcraft for the shootings the kind of people this might be aimed at solidarity with won't be satisfied until noone is playing any games.

Ultratwinkie:

I found this:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/nibrs/crime-in-schools-and-colleges

table 8. Knives and melee weapons vastly outnumbered the paltry amount of guns.

However, it shows that crime increased from 2000-4. Its all I could find, published in 2008.

Yeah, but it covers all crime, not just murder (unless I read that wrong). Thanks anyway.

Laudable intention, phenomenally bad idea. Inside legal parameters I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better way to paint a big fat target on the gaming community for media outlets to take potshots at.

Rblade:
Is it really that hard for us people to be the bigger people and just hold our day of silence in respect. Something anything to rise above the baseless empty accusations and take a symbolical stand.

But no everybody shoots in silly defence mode blaming other things in a sarcastic way, yeah that is going to turn fox news around, they are going to see our sarcasm and reflect upon their sins.

Lets show the victims some compasion and draw attention to things like childsplay instead of a big digital b@#%# fight

Couldn't agree more.

It's not about whether it helps the families of the victims.

It's about what is says about the gaming community as a whole. Can we coordinate? Can we be compassionate?

Or are we just a mindless horde of sarcastic, nihilistic, mindless addicts, that can't put their controllers down for one day and can actually face an ugly fact in the face without automatically pulling up a huge wall of denial on anything and everything?

Lovesfool:

Rblade:

Couldn't agree more.

It's about what is says about the gaming community as a whole. Can we coordinate? Can we be compassionate?

Or are we just a mindless horde of sarcastic, nihilistic, mindless addicts, that can't put their controllers down for one day and can actually face an ugly fact in the face without automatically pulling up a huge wall of denial on anything and everything?

We are none of these. Because there isn't a "gaming community". There is no "group", "collective" or "organisation".

People play games, people read books, people watch TV.

Should all book readers not read crime novels for a day?
Should all film fans avoid action movies for a day?

Does it say something about them if they don't?

No, because they are just hobbies. Playing games does not make you a representative of a larger community, it does not mean you have any responsibility, it does not mean you have any relation to anybody else who plays games unless you choose.

If people don't want to play violent games for a day to mark respect, that's their choice. But those who choose to carry on playing do not "represent the gaming community", they are not "making the gaming community look bad".

Because it doesn't even exist.

Legion:
Because there isn't a "gaming community". There is no "group", "collective" or "organisation".

People play games, people read books, people watch TV.

But this is where you are wrong...

We are a community. Especially if you talk about online shooters, we are the definition of a community. We congregate in online worlds, talk to each other, compete and cooperate. We are not passive viewers of a football game on our TVs. We are the actual players on the team. We have guilds and factions and dedicated servers.

Moreover, we are a community in this website and this very forum. We are all gamers. We meet here and exchange views, mostly about video games, but also about anything that interests us.

It doesn't get any more communal than that.

Yet, when someone simply suggests that we stop playing a specific genre of violent video games for 24hours, as a way to pay our respects and send a message that we DO care, we DO feel, we DO think, we DO communicate, we act like junkies that are asked to skip a fix.

Step 1. We dismiss the idea. We deny that it has anything to do with us, fail to see anything positive about it and refuse to accept that it has anything to do with us.

Step 2. We go to the other extreme and take an extra fix, to prove a point that we are not "mindless sheep" that follow whatever some "wise guy" says. As if stopping playing online shooters for 24 hours would show that we are "mindless sheep" and our inability to even contemplate the notion of staying off our "drug" for a day doesn't...

I find the fact than 8 out of 10 posts dismiss the idea of this very sensitive and thoughtful gesture very disappointing. It makes me sad. Maybe Fox News and Thompson have a point, after all...

Lovesfool:

Rblade:

Couldn't agree more.

And what does it have to do with the gaming community ? Nothing, some random guy says we should do this to show our surrport. You really have to have some ego to think that THIS shallow gesture would make the situation any less painful for them or if they'll even care or notice. It has NOTHING to do with the gaming community just like columbine shooting had NOTHING to do with Marilyn Manson and Doom. People like Fox news are going to put any kind of negative spin on games regardless they'll milk this story for all its worth. They need to focus on the real root on the issue instead of all this crap people are doing to "help the victims". And like ive said and many others, its not the very first case of kids being killed, but you know how the US media is. So please tell me why we should make a huge community effort to stop playing videos games for the victims of this school shooting but do nothing about kids starving to death, being killed in wars, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time in places like Syria and Bahrain, Palestine etc Or are they not worthy of our time ??? Sick of things like this being blown out and twisted to suit other ppls agenda.

AstaresPanda:
And what does it have to do with the gaming community ?

The event at the school has nothing to do with the gaming community.

How we react to it has everything to do with the gaming community.

I wouldn't mind stopping playing online strategy games for a day to send a collective message against wars in general.

I wouldn't mind stopping playing online altogether for a day to make a point against irresponsible and excessive power consumption that depletes Earths natural resources.

I wouldn't mind staying off the internet all together for a day to send a message against online child pornography or depression due to lack of personal communication.

Does than mean I accept blame for those things?

No.

Will my action change the world?

No.

Will it show I care? Will it show I actually give a damn? Will it send a message?

Possibly. Maybe it will.

Will it be good for me?

Possibly. If yes, marginally so.

Does it cost me ANYTHING?

Nope.

So, yes, I think staying off online shooter servers for a day is a nice and decent thing to do. Do it for yourself, if not for anyone else.

I'll join in. Nice way to show gamers aren't the psychos the media makes of us. And to all those that say "It's not gaming's fault so why should we care",

Yes, these shootings have nothing to do with games beyond the shooter's brother enjoying Mass Effect. But se should still show our support to the people left behind in some way, however small it is.

So your doing it for your own sense of worth and compassion? We both know ITS NOT GOING TO CHANGE ANYTHING. im a good person coz i did something completely pointless and condescending? while we are at it lets make some cheap wrist bands to spread awareness and show we care. NO

If you want to do this and you feel the need to then go ahead, but making out that gamers that dont want to partake in this pitiful shallow pat yourself on the back gesture are somehow uncaring......

hmmm, dont mean to belittle what you feel is right or direct any anger at ya but i cant help but feel doing somthing that would prevent this kinda thing happening again would be better and honor the lost better.

roushutsu:
Judging from people's reactions both here and on the original site, it seems to me like it doesn't matter what we as gamers do, we are fucked regardless.

If we choose to follow with the cease fire, we get blamed for "supporting the view that games cause violence," but if we choose to ignore it then we get blamed for "supporting the view that gamers are ungrateful, hateful, spiteful, etc." So either way, we're fucked.

Basically we are stuck in a classic definition of a Catch-22. Either way we as gamers lose in the end.

OT: While I do agree that the shooting was tragic I think that if we honest want to help out we should donate money to the victims of the shooting and help out the students who will be forever changed and traumatized because of this. And while people will say that this is a mental health issue I find that is more of a scapegoat in the matter. Yes mental healthcare needs an overhaul but this is more on an issue of gun control. I will say that having a pistol is okay, but does one honestly need a semi-automatic gun? I say no. And this is coming from a person who is mentally ill and has to take medication to help me function and be able to concentrate and control my emotions (I suffer from massive panic attacks, anxiety, and bipolar disorder). Doesn't mean however that I'm going to go flat out crazy. Anyway that was a bit of a tangent. Basically while this is a nice sentiment this will honestly just fuel the media to blame video games.

Lovesfool:

Couldn't agree more.

"It's not about whether it helps the families of the victims.

It's about what is says about the gaming community as a whole."

Right, well there's a pretty solid statement to highlight how egotistical and arbitrary the whole thing is. "The community" had nothing to do with anything, neither did games. If people follow through with it, all they're going to be doing is something else for an entire day. That's it. Most people can't pay attention for a 2-minute silence, the fuck is a day of barring one unrelated activity going to achieve?

Making it about "us" (I wish we could stop being put into some kind of weird collective because we enjoy one similar hobby), whether it's Murdoch's Mob playing the blame game or this incredibly translucent attempt to plead our case, is the worst thing that can happen.

And what ugly fact would that be, anyway?

The day I stop playing shooters is the day the world ends.

Why? how does this help anyone? We're not playing shooters, okay...so? That's like paying respect by spreading peanut butter on the walls and drawing a smiley face in it, it's a complete non sequitur.

Why are they bringing videogames into this?

Can't we all just agree that crazy murderous psychopthas are bad people whether or not they have ever played a videogame?

I mean yeah, sure, what ever, join the cause, but seriously fuck...

Nieroshai:
Given the amount of preparation he went through, it isn't unreasonable to say he could've taken the time to whip up homemade explosives and stuffed them in the car. Guns are by no means the most deadly, devastating, or easy-to-obtain weapons out there. The first WTC bombing cost the bomber less than the price of a Glock. A man in China committed a similar slaughter to Newtown, but he did it with a knife. Just as many casualties, with an even more hardcore police force simply not arriving on time. Should we ban knives? Knives were invented by our ancestors to hunt and to wage war, and then they tied them to sticks and called them spears. Surely we live in a society where knives are obsolete? I see cooking shows where scissors are used instead to cut meat, and Cuisinarts are used to dice vegetables. Of course not, but you see where this is going.

Interesting fact: Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold's original plan for the Columbine massacre was to set off homemade bombs in the school cafeteria during lunch and just use their guns to mop up the survivors. That's not how it ended up going, because they sucked at making bombs. Had they just been able to buy some C4 at their local Wal-Mart's sporting goods department, that massacre would have been far, far deadlier. Since they had to make their own, and they sucked at it, the death toll stayed in the teens instead of breaking triple digits. Also, WHAT THE FUCK DOES A CIVILIAN NEED AN ASSAULT RIFLE FOR? It's total overkill for hunting, a shotgun is more than adequate for home defense, and it's not the kind of thing you can carry everywhere just in case you get mugged.

I hear that the killer breathed oxygen. So... for 24 hours...

I just started another playthrough of Borderlands 2, so no can do on my end.

xen0blade:

2)Guns are actually dangerous too. That doesn't make them any more dangerous then knives, or less dangerous. Knives are more dangerous for spur of the moment attacks, whereas guns have the edge in preplanned violence. Guns must be prepped (ammo, safety off (if it has one), round chambered, etc. Knives: grab and stab. Done. Blocking a knife DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL LIVE. Knives, and bullets, do MASSIVE amounts of damage and you can easily kill and cripple with both without much training.

OK, I'll grant that knives are a match for guns one-on-one at close quarters, for the sake of argument. However, imagine you're in a classroom and someone walks in with a knife and stabs the teacher. You have several options:
1. Book it for the door. The killer will have to catch up to you in order to inflict any damage. High chance of survival, especially if others flee too and you scatter.
2. Use an improvised weapon, such as a chair. The other guy still has a knife, but since you have longer reach, you can still get in the first hit and, as you've pointed out, blunt weapons can be pretty damn effective. Let's call it even odds, though if the others join in the odds will go pretty steeply in your favor.

Now let's imagine the same two options, only this time the lunatic has an M16.
1. Make a break for it. He shoots you in the back. You are now dead.
2. Pick up a chair, or a heavy book, or something, and charge the guy. He shoots you before you can get close enough to swing. You are now dead.
See the difference?

DataSnake:

xen0blade:

2)Guns are actually dangerous too. That doesn't make them any more dangerous then knives, or less dangerous. Knives are more dangerous for spur of the moment attacks, whereas guns have the edge in preplanned violence. Guns must be prepped (ammo, safety off (if it has one), round chambered, etc. Knives: grab and stab. Done. Blocking a knife DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL LIVE. Knives, and bullets, do MASSIVE amounts of damage and you can easily kill and cripple with both without much training.

OK, I'll grant that knives are a match for guns one-on-one at close quarters, for the sake of argument. However, imagine you're in a classroom and someone walks in with a knife and stabs the teacher. You have several options:
1. Book it for the door. The killer will have to catch up to you in order to inflict any damage. High chance of survival, especially if others flee too and you scatter.
2. Use an improvised weapon, such as a chair. The other guy still has a knife, but since you have longer reach, you can still get in the first hit and, as you've pointed out, blunt weapons can be pretty damn effective. Let's call it even odds, though if the others join in the odds will go pretty steeply in your favor.

Now let's imagine the same two options, only this time the lunatic has an M16.
1. Make a break for it. He shoots you in the back. You are now dead.
2. Pick up a chair, or a heavy book, or something, and charge the guy. He shoots you before you can get close enough to swing. You are now dead.
See the difference?

I kind of think this is backed up by the fact that China also had a violent incident at a school last week. A man walked into a school with a knife, and started stabbing as many people as he could. Around 22 people, adults and children, were injured, but I believe only 2 received critical injuries.

A knife simply doesn't hit your body with the same kind of force a bullet does. They can fuck you up, true, but they don't mess up your insides with kinetic energy. A knife going quickly into and out of your body is only going to damage the immediate area it stabbed. If that's an important bodily area, like your lung or your heart, then that can still mean you're in a lot of trouble, but it's not the same as a gun. If a bullet hits you, not only is it entering your body at around 1400 feet per second (if it's a handgun bullet), but your body is going to slow it down, meaning that all that kinetic energy is going to go from the bullet and dissipate through your internals instead. And that is a lot of kinetic energy.

That is why so many kids died in the shooting last week. Not because the man was some trained pro with sniper aim, but because children's bodies are not designed to absorb the sort of impact that a bullet from a semi-automatic rifle creates.

Anyways, OT: I kind of think that a lot of responses on this thread really do show the very worst of the gaming community-

Average response:

Herp derp! Why should we be forced to give up online deathmatch? Those kids who died have nothing to do with us, why should I stop playing my COD online? All it will do is tell people like FOX that games are somehow involved, so fuck, I'm just gonna carry on playing BLOPS II!

There's so much wrong with this attitude, so I'll try and keep my points to the point:

- It has nothing to do with whether or not games are intrinsically linked to the situation at hand, and everything to do with basic goddamn empathy, and the realisation that perhaps after such an incident, trying to downplay violence for just a little period wouldn't be such a bad thing. The music industry has stopped playing Ke$ha's Die Young on the radio out of respect for the victims, and Tarantino's latest film Django Unchained has had its release date pushed back a little by film distributors. Both industries did this, not because either are directly linked with the Newtown shootings (they're not), but because they thought it would be in bad taste to try and promote both of these at a time when an entire nation is mourning for 28 murdered children.

If you genuinely have a problem with this, then I also assume you have a problem with people wearing poppies and having a minute's silence on November the 11th to commemorate those who died in WWI? After all, it's not like there's anyone directly connected to the war, as all the survivors have died off from old age by now? Right?

Maybe it would just be nice if gamers could come together to show some solidarity, and actually offer some sympathy and respect to those who are currently mourning? If you're honestly telling me that gamers can come together over something as trivial as the Mass Effect 3 ending and raise thousands of dollars for charity, yet cannot show any communal compassion over something as tragic as this... that's pretty damn pathetic. And it really does reinforce the idea that many gamers are online junkies who simply cannot go without their next fix.

- How in the name of all fuck would getting gamers to communally spend a day without shooting each other, spending a whole day showing that they can in fact go without killing each other online, cause FOX to argue that games and shootings are somehow connected? Surely the fact that gamers can stand together and, in the face of tragedy, willingly forgo a day of shooting each other to show solidarity with and respect for the families of Newtown would show that we're not amoral junkies addicted to violence? Surely such an act would show that we actually do have ideals we value more than killstreaks and teabagging?

I simply do not understand the logic that asking gamers to rise above themselves and show an act of honest decency will cause others to view us as amoral, violence-hooked sociopaths. No. Refusing to show any empathy, deriding any effort to try and sympathise with the pain that the Newtown families are going through, and instead carrying on playing Call of Battlehonour: Warshooter... that reinforces the violence-loving, anti-social stereotype. Because it suggests to others that you place your own desire to shoot other people (even if it is only digitally) above the requests of others to show a bit of tact and respect. And it reinforces the idea that gamers are so hooked on violence, going without it will cause them to go cold turkey.

I mean, it's one goddamn day, guys. Are your lives so empty and without meaning that you honestly can't think of something productive to do for one day instead of online multiplayer? Why not go for a bike ride? Or just a plain old walk. Why not read a book? Or, and I know this is a crazy idea, but seeing as it's Christmas, why not spend some quality weekend time with your family and loved ones? Surely that'd be a far nicer way to spend the Christmas weekend rather than being holed up shooting anonymous douchebags online?

Okay well that's an idea that I cannot get behind.
So to show support for the victims and their families we are going to stop playing shooters for a day?
Would that not look a subtle confirmation that video games are to blame for this?

FelixG:
My condolences to the families, but I will still play my games thanks.

I cannot say it better. While I appreciate the thought behind the idea, it's ultimately an empty, token gesture. It does nothing for the cause, will effect no change, is unlikely to help parents grieving for lost children, etc.

I suppose there is one boon to be had. The player who reaches for the disc/mouse to launch the game must pause and realise he cannot play that game, and why. It would mean that there are players out there sparing thoughts for the bereaved...but is that enough to justify the day?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here