Judge Tells Apple Samsung Won't Wipe it Out

Pages PREV 1 2

... Oh how I love my brand new Galaxy S3..

Excuse me but uh... *cough*..

APPLE CAN SUCK IT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *Runs around like a maniac*

unstabLized:
... Oh how I love my brand new Galaxy S3..

Excuse me but uh... *cough*..

APPLE CAN SUCK IT!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *Runs around like a maniac*

Fellow SIII owner here, Apple can indeed suck it. iPhone owners can keep their tiny screen, no social networking integration in contacts and lack of home screen with your apps and and other shit all over the screen all the time.

Kwil:

Tiger Sora:
The patent system needs some tweaking. You shouldn't be able to sue to frivolously just because over these things.

Oh I don't know.. you should be able to sue for anything you want.

What we need is some serious Anti-SLAPP type of laws though. So that if a judge deems that your suit was not only unsuccessful, but frivolous, then you can get nailed for like double what you were asking for originally.

I like that idea, I like it a lot!

Although there still needs to be stricter laws on what you can and cannot copyright, but that would be an excellent first step.

I swear; no company tries to be more unlikable than Apple.

Apple produced this commercial in 1984.

http://youtu.be/HhsWzJo2sN4

Apple Computers went 180 degrees their policy, Apple once protested "BIG BROTHER" now they are the villains.

I refuse to spend premium money for a closed-off inferior product, where I can only use their applications and products, where they restrict me on how they used their product and that I should "Think Differently" when that really means Think-What-we-tell-you-to-think. Apple does not want it's customers to Think Differently, they want there customers to be sheep.

And if you are an Apple supporter than to me you already lost your soul and your words are invalid.

Andy Shandy:
Wait, what? Apple actually tried to ban Samsung products from the US because they had the sheer gall to actually persuade people to go with them instead of Apple? That is what I just read right? And now they're appealing because they're not allowed a total monopoly?

I have read this correctly, right?!

Yep.

Android (the common OS on Samsung devices) is really taking off. Blackberry is on the downward curve and Windows phones never really had a chance, but Apple don't like how fast Samsung is cutting into its sales.

So they decided to get Samsung banned.

Somewhere between those two paragraphs, something went horribly, HORRIBLY wrong.

so instead of sentencing apple, like they should have done, they wonder whether to sentence samsung. <Facepalm>

I've never liked any Apple products tbh, but for somre reason, Jobbs seemed to be the head AND total brain of the company, after he passed away all I hear about them is "we sue you, and you, and... yeah, you too" so I couldn't do anything other than lmao when I heard they lost a case against a Mexican company.

I think its a little funny how any time I talk to someone who likes apple products they always tell me how great apple is and how no company could make a prodcut that can stand up to theirs.

well I mean clearly, apple sues them all before it reaches market. Really says a lot for how strong a company is.

eventhorizon525:

Milanezi:

Atary77:
Hey Apple, maybe you should try something else like oh I don't know try to make a better product that can compete with what Samsung is making as well as maybe trying to be more competitive with your pricing. Ya know? Stuff that companies normally do when they want to win over customers.

Maybe the deal is keeping it overpriced, same reason you'll pay more for an Armani shirt, and no matter what you won't get a cheap Armani (cheap in the sense of price). You're paying for the brand and everything that comes with it. It is illogical, but it's a social thing.
However stepping up to the competition in terms of bringing new features, etc. Well, that can't be argued... Though my father in law has both that latest Galaxy (the pretty one) and iPhone 5, he barely uses the Galaxy, he says he prefers the iPhone, I used his Galaxy a bit, I also prefer the iPhone, BUT it is a real fine phone and though I felt apple was smoother, samsung also had a very nice feel to it. Let's put it this way, I'd pick iPhone any day, but the differences were minimal, and what really links me to iPhone is the iTunes store, because I have tons of movies, tv shows, music and games that i bought on it; also the immediate synch with iPad, iPod, iMac and Apple TV is VERY helpful.

But I have a rant against some people who badmouth Apple products (for this reason only): they say "wow, their stuff is made for retards, it's too easy to use"... WTF??? Isn't that GREAT? The easier the better, I see my grandfather and the way he suffers to put the DVD to work and I ask myself, this shit should be easier. I'm not going against Galaxy here, no, the little I used it was as easy as the iPhone. I'm just ranting here, but hey, things should become easier, EVERYTHING. If the iPhone is too easy than go use morse code or something... geez...

The problem I have with Apple products is that while yes, they do make things easier to approach and have very clean interfaces, they give this at the cost of actually being able to do a lot with them. The system is very closed, and after learning how to actually take advantage of a lot of fiddle bits on my phone and computer, having them effectively removed is not an enjoyable prospect. Combine that with their obnoxious advertising (yes, you managed to make a nice feeling product with a lot of polish (not apple maps), but guess what, all the "new" features that keep getting talk up have been done by other companies, often better, years before) and their very cult? (not right word, can't think of a better one) mentality where only their own stuff is worth ever touching (and is the only option in existence) can be very irritating.

However, I have also recommended Apple computers for people before simply because they are still a good choice for some people (though they need the spare cash for the extra cost).

If you're good at fiddling stuff, than of course there're better companies. But you see, many companies could have "easy-access" hardware, EVEN if they could be "opened for fiddling" by those who enjoy it (not me), which I understand is a big chunk, if not the majority of geeks (not being cynical)

Atary77:

Milanezi:

Atary77:
Hey Apple, maybe you should try something else like oh I don't know try to make a better product that can compete with what Samsung is making as well as maybe trying to be more competitive with your pricing. Ya know? Stuff that companies normally do when they want to win over customers.

Maybe the deal is keeping it overpriced, same reason you'll pay more for an Armani shirt, and no matter what you won't get a cheap Armani (cheap in the sense of price). You're paying for the brand and everything that comes with it. It is illogical, but it's a social thing.
However stepping up to the competition in terms of bringing new features, etc. Well, that can't be argued... Though my father in law has both that latest Galaxy (the pretty one) and iPhone 5, he barely uses the Galaxy, he says he prefers the iPhone, I used his Galaxy a bit, I also prefer the iPhone, BUT it is a real fine phone and though I felt apple was smoother, samsung also had a very nice feel to it. Let's put it this way, I'd pick iPhone any day, but the differences were minimal, and what really links me to iPhone is the iTunes store, because I have tons of movies, tv shows, music and games that i bought on it; also the immediate synch with iPad, iPod, iMac and Apple TV is VERY helpful.

But I have a rant against some people who badmouth Apple products (for this reason only): they say "wow, their stuff is made for retards, it's too easy to use"... WTF??? Isn't that GREAT? The easier the better, I see my grandfather and the way he suffers to put the DVD to work and I ask myself, this shit should be easier. I'm not going against Galaxy here, no, the little I used it was as easy as the iPhone. I'm just ranting here, but hey, things should become easier, EVERYTHING. If the iPhone is too easy than go use morse code or something... geez...

Personally I have nothing against Apple products and the like. If people enjoy using them and find that Apple devices suit their needs then that's great! The same can be said for people who prefer Samsung devices. At the end of the day when you have devices so similar and share various features then it all just comes down to personal preferences and what people choose for themselves.

That's what I think is the real crime Apple is committing in all of this. They don't want people to have an alternative choice to their devices. They want to be the one and only option. Much like how EA shut out competition by getting the exclusive rights to the NFL license which I'm sure many folks here didn't like either.

Bottom line is people should be able to choose what devices they want. If people want an alternative to Apple let them have it. If people are still buying your products (especially a large majority) then I'd say you have nothing to worry about as a company. Just keeping making good products and give the people what they want. DON'T be an ass and try to shut out competition in court!

It might not seem like it, but in that I agree with you (there's another post of mine basically saying what you just said). I remeber when Apple REALLY sucked as in "we're almost out of business" and Microsoft was king, they did similar practices and now they're sorta lost in the technological race, despaired to get up with the competition. If you don't allow room for better products to rise, than your OWN products will have no need to get any better, in a short term you'll make money (maybe), but in a longer term you'll get a long fall on sales.

gardian06:

eventhorizon525:

Milanezi:

The problem I have with Apple products is that while yes, they do make things easier to approach and have very clean interfaces, they give this at the cost of actually being able to do a lot with them. The system is very closed, and after learning how to actually take advantage of a lot of fiddle bits on my phone and computer, having them effectively removed is not an enjoyable prospect. Combine that with their obnoxious advertising (yes, you managed to make a nice feeling product with a lot of polish (not apple maps), but guess what, all the "new" features that keep getting talk up have been done by other companies, often better, years before) and their very cult? (not right word, can't think of a better one) mentality where only their own stuff is worth ever touching (and is the only option in existence) can be very irritating.

However, I have also recommended Apple computers for people before simply because they are still a good choice for some people (though they need the spare cash for the extra cost).

yes "cult" is the right word.

Milanezi:
snip...

really so your reasoning is that you will run back to apple because you have purchased so much from their draconian controlled system. wasn't this the very issue that got them sued class action style over their "Idevice only DRM" to where you couldn't even put the music on CDs. so really by making the statement that you will choose Apple because you have invested so much money into their Itunes system actually means you are part of the problem where the things that we purchase from a given service are so tied to that service that we don't actually own the things we buy, and can't do anything about it.

great job for complacency.

Why complacency? I CHOSE to stay with Apple and so far nothing better came along as far as my wishes are concerned. I could easily buy cd's and just download THEM from my PC to the iPod, heck, nowadays with iTunes Match I could even have THOSE streamed along with stuff I bought FROM iTunes. I'm not "running back", it's just that nothing else, in the way of a virtual store, has showed up to offer me a better service or one that better suits my needs, iTunes is reliable, fast and has great quality. The only service that is provided better elsewhere (in my opinion at least) is book reading, I prefer the quality of the iPad over Kindle, but the Amazon library is much more satisfying, so I use the Kindle App.

eventhorizon525:
The problem I have with Apple products is that while yes, they do make things easier to approach and have very clean interfaces...

Funny, because Jakob Nielsen, internationally renowned UI design guru, has thoughts to the contrary.

Remus:
Meanwhile over at Google,
And hey, it's made by Samsung although their name isn't on the front. Maybe the 16:9 raio differentiates it enough from Apple to not sue? I dunno. These pads are a media format. Just like smartphones, TVs, radios, DVDs, and blu rays. Suing anyone over having a similar design seems rather redundant. It's like Microsoft suing over the use of the term "Operating System". The Apple execs should just go take a dip in their swimming pool full of money and cool off.

You do realise that the original Galaxy Tabs had a 16:10 ratio, right? And that this device actually doesn't have a 16:9 aspect ratio, it's also 16:10? And you do know that, from the start of Android 3.0, 16:10 has been a deliberate choice for screens in Android tablets as the black status bar at the bottom takes up "1" of the "10", thus leaving the rest of the screen to a 16:9 ratio. It's also the design placement of the speakers (front) and the slight curve on the device edges (typical of a Nexus design). This thing was designed by Google to stay as far away from Apples little garden of patent bullshit as possible.

Not to mention it's superior in almost every way. Screen, battery, processor, GPU, operating system, price, etc.

taciturnCandid:
Maybe apple could learn from their competitors. If they possibly allowed you to switch out sd cards i might be interested.

Never going to happen, it will cause too much of a hassle for users. Yes, what I'm referring to is "save to internal memory, or SD card?". And yes, Apple will consider that too complex for a large portion of their users who just want their photo's to "work". Do remember that there is a level of cretin-hood that Apple need to cater to with their users. There are also legitimate security issues with the use of SD cards, which would require pretty much writing your own file system like Samsung did (and then actually get it off the ground). And then you run into compatibility issues with desktop OS' that don't have the ability to read the FS. Also, you do know that Google are moving away from removable storage, too? Their Nexus line has never had them, and from Jelly Bean, they are beginning to phase out external support altogether.

Tiger Sora:
The patent system needs some tweaking. You shouldn't be able to sue to frivolously just because over these things.

Tweak? No. Complete overhaul to give it even a modicum of fairness? Yes.

OT: I'm genuinely surprised by this, an American court actually being fair to a Korean company in the face of an American plaintiff? This is in total opposition to the defining characteristic of the Samsung Vs Apple case in America since it started.

I really do hate Apple. Their computers aren't worth the money, their business practices are shameful and they seem to engender a following that I can only describe as cult-like.

Honestly, sometimes it sounds like a domestic abuse victim: "...but you should see how Apple treats me when we're alone. He's so sweet and almost never hits me, I never regret for a second that I could've bought a new car and an alienware laptop for the same price as I spent on last years macbook air."

You're all sheep! you are just following the crowd who hates apple! RISE up against all the other people who hate apple, and actually buy a apple product and try it out.

Griffolion:

taciturnCandid:
Maybe apple could learn from their competitors. If they possibly allowed you to switch out sd cards i might be interested.

Never going to happen, it will cause too much of a hassle for users. Yes, what I'm referring to is "save to internal memory, or SD card?". And yes, Apple will consider that too complex for a large portion of their users who just want their photo's to "work". Do remember that there is a level of cretin-hood that Apple need to cater to with their users. There are also legitimate security issues with the use of SD cards, which would require pretty much writing your own file system like Samsung did (and then actually get it off the ground). And then you run into compatibility issues with desktop OS' that don't have the ability to read the FS. Also, you do know that Google are moving away from removable storage, too? Their Nexus line has never had them, and from Jelly Bean, they are beginning to phase out external support altogether.

Well that is a shame they are trying to get it phased out. I kinda really like being able to take pictures with a much better camera and then instantly put them in my tablet. I like being able to carry around multiple sd cards. One for music, one for some movies, and one for programs.

I'm not sure i want to spend the money for a 64 gb tablet. They really inflate the price on higher storage and I feel like they are just being greedy in trying to restrict you like that. It is almost like going, oh. you want to store more than a little bit of music and also your programs? Well screw you unless you pay another 100 dollars.

Not to mention that you should have the right to do whatever you want with your electronic device. If you want to fuck up your own device or install your own custom software or even operating system, you should have no problems doing it. I mean yeah, it should invalidate your warranty, but you shouldn't be barred from doing so.

Griffolion:
snip

No I actually didn't know all of that. Maybe I'm just itching for a fight between Apple and Google. It will be the COURT BATTLE OF THE CENTURY!

harryhenry:
You're all sheep! you are just following the crowd who hates apple! RISE up against all the other people who hate apple, and actually buy a apple product and try it out.

Kettle! How black art thou!

taciturnCandid:
Well that is a shame they are trying to get it phased out. I kinda really like being able to take pictures with a much better camera and then instantly put them in my tablet. I like being able to carry around multiple sd cards. One for music, one for some movies, and one for programs.

I'm not sure i want to spend the money for a 64 gb tablet. They really inflate the price on higher storage and I feel like they are just being greedy in trying to restrict you like that. It is almost like going, oh. you want to store more than a little bit of music and also your programs? Well screw you unless you pay another 100 dollars.

Not to mention that you should have the right to do whatever you want with your electronic device. If you want to fuck up your own device or install your own custom software or even operating system, you should have no problems doing it. I mean yeah, it should invalidate your warranty, but you shouldn't be barred from doing so.

That is true, from a consumer point of view, it's a little less than acceptable. It does feel like they are deliberately trying to restrict you. But on the other side, there are legitimate concerns regarding security and ease of use. I know that for people like me and you (who have a brain cell), it would be no trouble, but others would just fall flat on their face with the choice between internal and external storage.

You also have to remember that, from Google's point of view, the "cloud" is a big thing. So instead of storing songs locally, use Google's Music service to have your songs stored on the "cloud" and then stream them down to your phone as and when. Rinse, repeat with all media forms including photographs to Google Drive etc. This is Google's long term strategy with this, Apple's strategy from day one of iDevices was ease of use, security, and greed (as you mentioned, f*** you, pay more dollarz for moar gigz).

Of course, Google's long term bet runs into two massive snags that aren't yet solved, and won't be for a while (well, one may be). First one, mobile data. No carrier in the world can guarantee full "streaming quality" coverage in all places of the country. And, to add to this, who can afford a mobile plan with unlimited data that could support media usage like that? Only the top tier plans can do that, and over in the US they are like $120/mo. In England, 3 UK have a 25/mo unlimited plan (that I use), which is awesome. But due to spectrum crunch issues, in the middle of crowded places, you feel a pinch on data bandwidth anyway. The second point still refers to mobile data, but from the phone's point of view, and that's battery life. 3G and 4G radio's take up a lot of power to use, and while advances are being made, battery technology and radio power consumption is still at a point where it's massively unviable to enact this long term strategy in full.

Interestingly, Eric Schmidt recently admitted they were going to team up with Dish to get into the cellular carrier game. Offering unlimited data at like $10/mo or something. But it was unfortunately canned for them to concentrate on fiber. They didn't rule anything out for a 2013 rollout though, but most rumours up until the clarification had said there would be a rollout before the end of 2012.

Remus:

Griffolion:
snip

No I actually didn't know all of that. Maybe I'm just itching for a fight between Apple and Google. It will be the COURT BATTLE OF THE CENTURY!

Interesting for you to say that. The question is, if Android is the problem, then why hasn't Apple gone after Google directly and only the OEM's that use Android?

Answer: Apple is too scared to take on another big (American) player over things they knew for a fact would be shaky in the first place (which we are beginning to see now). And judging by the way Google shat on Oracle last year, they were right to stay schtum and take the cowardly way of picking on smaller, weaker OEM's than going for the big dog. You are beginning to see now, though, Apple moving to minimise reliance on Google through it's (utterly shocking) implementation of it's own maps service and by moving YouTube from the front page of iDevices. The move is clearly to show that Apple doesn't want an integrated, interoperable tech world, but it wants it's own little area that nobody is allowed into (a relic of 90's thinking and just plain selfishness).

Awww, did poor little Apple not get their monopoly?

Let me get some stringed instrument to express how sad I am...

vun:
Mentioning that they cut into Apple's customer base seems a bit odd; Owning an apple product usually means your a deranged apple fanatic.

Fixed

Blablahb:
Apple's demands would violate anti-trust and competition laws, so ruling in their favour was always out of the question.

Not at face value. I'm sorry, but there was legal validity here. Doesn't mean I think it's RIGHT, but it's VALID.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here