How to Get Your War Z Refund From Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

How to Get Your War Z Refund From Steam

War Z has been pulled from Steam, and here's how to get your money back.

Well it's certainly been an eventful few days for fans of the zombie apocalypse, hasn't it? First, War Z made its triumphant debut on Steam and quickly snapped up not only a boatload of sales, but also a wealth of criticism. Everything from the game's misleading Steam description to a shady microtransaction framework have come under fire from both critics and fans alike. This morning, Steam responded to users' concerns the best way it knew how: by pulling the game from its digital shelves.

So what are disgruntled gamers to do? Request a refund of course! Valve has already stated that it will be issuing refunds for those who "are unhappy with what they received," so if that sounds like you, here's how to make your request:

First, head over to the Steam Support ticket area and either sign in with your Steam Support credentials or create a new account.

Then, when given the choice between support for either a third party game or Steam, choose Steam.

Now click "Contact Support" on the right side of the page. This will create a new ticket in the support system for your issue.

For "Product" pick "Product Not Listed" since War Z no longer will appear on the drop-down menu. For "Category" select "Purchases and Payment" and then choose whatever your payment method happened to be.

Title the ticket something simple, like "Refund request for War Z," and state in the body of the ticket that you are unhappy with the purchase and would like a full refund.

Then click "Submit Question," and you're done!

We imagine there will be a lot of these tickets flying into Valve's inbox over the next 48 hours or so, so keep in mind that it may be a while before you see your credit pop back into your PayPal account or credit card ledger. Also, be sure to check your email spam folder to ensure that updates to the status of your ticket aren't missed.

Thanks for that tip.

I already knew how to request a refund through Steam, but this is one of those things that never hurts to be reminded of.

Also, anyone still willing to argue that War Z was not a shameless cash grab riding off the explosive success of Day Z?

Now can we stop all of the rampant valve bashing in regards to this whole mess?

Derp, sorry, move along, nothing to see here, can't read :(

N3squ1ck:
I just checked Steam and you actually can't buy the War Z anymore (the store page is still there, but the "buy" button is gone)
Could be because of country restrictions though, that tends to happen in Germany, but normally you can't even see the page of a blocked game here.

I'm here in the US and I just checked steam. When I searched for it, it still shows the price, but the buy button is gone for me, as well.

R.Nevermore:

Nahh people are having way too much enjoyment out of that to cut it out. It is like an addiction I tell you.

OT: Good on you Valve. Everybody should draw the line somewhere.

gigastar:

Also, anyone still willing to argue that War Z was not a shameless cash grab riding off the explosive success of Day Z?

It not exactly a bad game or a wanna-be DayZ. It does a lot of things good, with decent graphics. Problem is the Executive Producer is not very professional and sometimes seems to not know what he is doing. They treat their player base like crap and pretty much lie about game features. Shame because like I said it is not a bad game at all.

R.Nevermore:

no, I think that Valve do need a bit of a kick up the ass for they lack of quality control they do.

Nexxis:

N3squ1ck:
I just checked Steam and you actually can't buy the War Z anymore (the store page is still there, but the "buy" button is gone)
Could be because of country restrictions though, that tends to happen in Germany, but normally you can't even see the page of a blocked game here.

I'm here in the US and I just checked steam. When I searched for it, it still shows the price, but the buy button is gone for me, as well.

Of course you can't buy it anywhere! As stated in the article, it has been pulled from the virtual store shelves. Anyways, why would you try buying it only to get a refund immediately?

Roccondil:

Nexxis:

Of course you can't buy it anywhere! As stated in the article, it has been pulled from the virtual store shelves. Anyways, why would you try buying it only to get a refund immediately?

I wasn't it. I was just letting N3squ1ck know that what he was viewing also pertained to the US, not just Germany. The buying option was pulled, but the game page is still there. I had no interest in buying the game even when it was available XD. I kept an eye on it because I did have a friend that was interested in it when he first heard about it before it was released.

I asked for my refund stating that I was mislead by the original description and i got back a generic this is a one off refund message. I wasn't expecting them to address me personally but I was expecting a bit of a more personalized response to the War z issues.

All i can say is i wish i never brought it, and steam really do need to check on the games they sell or this sort of thing will happen again and again.

Baldr:

gigastar:

It not exactly a bad game or a wanna-be DayZ. It does a lot of things good, with decent graphics.

Wut? the game has horrible textures.

Valve is not my favorite company in the world, but you can't argue that once they make a mistake they do everything they can to fix it. Within days the game is pulled, refunds offered and the whole situation is cleared up. They could have easily made it incredibly difficult for people to get refunds and hope people don't bother like many companies would have done. Whatever about the mistake they made, they accepted it and are rectifying it. Can't really ask for anything more. And I am sure they will take steps to prevent this happening again. They are losing money here too.

It does feel like a quick rip. It largely plays off DayZ, but without the large map and sense of exploration. It plays even more like a straight PVP game than DayZ, which is saying something, and has a similar issue with hacks and exploits. Many of the features that we expected in the beta are still not quite there, or missing completely, and there are huge design issues, such as item spawns, and, despite the people and zombies, what feels like a truly empty and boring world. You can't enter most buildings and of the few buildings you can enter, there's nothing besides loot inside. No doors, no busted furniture... nothing. Buildings are either closed off or empty shells. Which fits in with the overall lack of scenic variety. There are a few immobile cars and the odd dumpster or fence, but that's about all you'll find.

That said, there are some promising ideas, such as skills and experience, multiple maps, and strongholds. But there's no telling how long you will be expected to wait for them to be fleshed out or released.

(As a disclaimer: I haven't loaded it up in a month or so. Things might be better now, but given the interweb's reaction to the Steam release, I have my doubts.)

This game was just The War Inc. re-skinned to add zombies and blatantly rip off DayZ's title. I mean they copypasted League of Legends' Term of Service. This game had Forbes basically calling it a cash grab. The fact that this game came out only days ago and is out of the Steam Store is proof enough.

AzrealMaximillion:
This game was just The War Inc. re-skinned to add zombies and blatantly rip off DayZ's title. I mean they copypasted League of Legends' Term of Service. This game had Forbes basically calling it a cash grab. The fact that this game came out only days ago and is out of the Steam Store is proof enough.

I still get acerbic chuckles whenever I read their executive producer's comments about the game's inception, predictably written in bad English.

"Oh yes! The War Z game comes back to years ago! Is not rip-off or copy! Do not trust WHOIS record for site; is mistake! Not from months ago only; from YEARS ago before DayZ! We have plenty features because idiots need fleecing over- I mean, because we love games! Yes! So much!

Please play Big Rigs too. Is good game. Misunderstood game. Yes."

I'm obviously not directly quoting the guy because my memory is shit, but I remember the gist of his comments. It made me think of Heavy Weapons Guy's shady unsuccessful cousin.

AzrealMaximillion:

The game was release 10/15/12. The name came from the book World WarZ/ War Inc. The map is pretty large, about half the size of DayZ. While there is some artwork from War Inc., I wish they would have used more, there some pretty good assets in War Inc. that would go well with Zombie Apocalypse. Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.

What pisses me off is that Titov said a couple days ago in the private forums that they were scrapping the Skill system because the test players hated it, but he said today interview that it was a planned feature. The only problem with this game is the Executive Producer is an idiot.

Nice of you to make this guide.

Sadly I was stupid enough to buy this earlier from their website. Anyone able to help a noob get his money back?

This guy Sergey Titov seems like the used car salesman of the gaming world. Paying to respawn? I hope Bob Kotick wasn't paying attention, he'll drown in his own drool.

Baldr:
Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.

Most of the artwork being original is somehow supposed to be a defence of the game? ALL of the artwork should be original, otherwise it's not legal unless it has been licensed. And there's evidence that they ripped off artwork from the TV show The Walking Dead, among other places.

That the game's executive producer is an idiot (also a liar and scammer) is far from the game's only problem.

I really like how Steam handles the Situation.
Giving a complete refund for a purchased game just "because you don't" like it is really generous.
The product is not broken or anything. This is one of the things, why I like Steam.

I was thinking about buying it but when I saw the "buy with credit" or whatever it was, I changed my mind that instant.

balberoy:
Giving a complete refund for a purchased game just "because you don't" like it is really generous.

This is a real sign of the times, that people now think it's "generous" to do what was pretty standard customer service not so long ago.

The product is not broken or anything. This is one of the things, why I like Steam.

Yeah, it actually was. The description of the game promised certain things that didn't actually exist in the game. It's like a car dealer selling you car saying that the engine was a V8, but it actually only had four cylinders.

I'm not sure why Valve/Steam should be praised here, after all, they were the ones who allowed this false advertising on their service in the first place.

Awesome, I'll have to do this. I haven't been bashing Valve, though I did write a message about the game as Thorley23 on the War Z forum. This game was a complete lie as far as I'm concerned to be honest. Being touted as an RPG, in the RPG section, I was expecting it to be something like a massively multiplayer "Dead Island" (albiet at indie graphics quality) and instead what I got was what amounts to a giant deathmatch shooter arena with zombies as an enviromental hazard. No skill selections or anything as the game promised... and really when they asked me to pay microtransaction currency to revive (or wait 4 hours) it was kind of a deal breaker.

I can however see why some fans of dedicated deathmatch arenas might like it though, it's however not the game that was advertised, if I knew what it was going to be like, I never would have puchused it.

That said, I am REALLY happy Valve came through, more so than I expected. To be honest I hope they decide to vet games a lot more before putting them on the service, especially with this "Project Greenlight"... you know, making sure the games are what the developers are claiming they are, have the advertised features, etc...

I think War Z shows the dark side of indie game design to be honest, since from where I'm sitting it seems like a giant cash grab. I never played the Arma 2 mod that inspired it (not being a bit shooter fan) so I can't compare them, but I suppose I can see the issues if the comparisons I'm hearing are true, not to mention understand the motivation for churning out something like this.

Can anyone fill us in on what this is all about please? Not everyone has even heard of War Z before this article.

I'd like to say I just put in my refund request, hopefully it will go through as things were a little differant for me than Mike. For me The War Z *was* listed under products, you need to look at the games starting with "the". Also there was no "products and payments" options so I had to use suggestions as a catch all phrase. Hopefully it gets forwarded to the right place if I did it wrong.

The walkthrough here is good, just mentioning that Valve might have changed some of the actual headings under support recently.

There's no Purchases and Payment option for me, both when I choose product not listed and The War Z. Anyone know why that is?

Aardvaarkman:

Baldr:
Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.

Most of the artwork being original is somehow supposed to be a defence of the game? ALL of the artwork should be original, otherwise it's not legal unless it has been licensed. And there's evidence that they ripped off artwork from the TV show The Walking Dead, among other places.

A lot of studio reuse artwork from it's previous games, it is a common practice in the industry. Yes it is legal because they OWN the other games. And the artwork that claims was from the walking dead was rotoscoped paintings.

Baldr:
And the artwork that claims was from the walking dead was rotoscoped paintings.

No, it wasn't. They were totally ripped-off images.

KingsGambit:
Can anyone fill us in on what this is all about please? Not everyone has even heard of War Z before this article.

They changed the rules after the game was sold. The respawn wait was bumped to four hours, and respawning sooner than that started costing $ 0,40 each time.

From what I understand, they sold it as a retail game, and then changed it so that in order to keep the game playable, you had to pay constantly. More simply said: They changed it to a subscription game after selling it as a non-subscription game.

That's both illegal pretty much everywhere outside the US and a major dickmove.

Baldr:

AzrealMaximillion:

The game was release 10/15/12. The name came from the book World WarZ/ War Inc. The map is pretty large, about half the size of DayZ. While there is some artwork from War Inc., I wish they would have used more, there some pretty good assets in War Inc. that would go well with Zombie Apocalypse. Most of the stuff on WarZ is original artwork.

What pisses me off is that Titov said a couple days ago in the private forums that they were scrapping the Skill system because the test players hated it, but he said today interview that it was a planned feature. The only problem with this game is the Executive Producer is an idiot.

The game was only release a few days ago on Steam, that's what I meant.

I'm sorry but this game was a cash in, not a game inspired by World War Z. Hell, you can just google the article that Forbes did on this game. It's not that there are "some" artwork similarities with the War Inc. There are screenshots showing the exact same character models, weapon models, and set pieces. It'd be like if Valve just stuck zombies in TF2 and called it Team Fortress Z and charged people for it with none of the features advertised inside the game.

This isn't the executive producer being dumb, this is a borderline scam job. The very fact that their Term of Service is verbatim League of Legends' TOS (right down to mentioning League of Legends repeatedly with no mention of The WarZ at all.)

This game had no business being on Steam at all. I thought Greenlight was being handled poorly, but this was a complete joke for what Valve usually does.

KingsGambit:

I'll try to fill you in.

Hammerpoint made a game called The War Inc. A free-to play FPS. Then the DAYZ mod for ARMA 2 appeared and earned the ARMA developers a boatload of new sales. So much so that Bohemian (the ARMA devs) started patching ARMA 2 specifically for DAYZ. What was really great for DAYZ was that Bohemian is now the developer for the DAYZ standalone title with Dean Hall (the man behind the successful mod) as project leader. That's a huge success.

Hammerpoint started making ads for a game called TheWarZ not too long after DAYZ was featured on every single online outlet. Some outlets outright questioned it for being a scam job right off the bat. Others ignored it. The WarZ is just The War Inc. with zombies, a map that's half the size of DayZ's(was advertised as bigger than DAYZ), half the features of DayZ and about none of the effort to cover up the fact that every character model in the WarZ is exactly the same as it was in the War Inc.

All the while charging people for it in a way that you would see in most Free to play games ON TOP of $15.

So what happens next is this The WarZ game winds up on Steam out of seemingly nowhere. It advertised a bunch a feature that it did not have.

Can be seen here:http://i.imgur.com/j9Q3f.jpg?1Notice all of the lies.

When confronted with questions about the Steam Store Desctiption the devs denied that the game was in an alpha or beta release. The called the release a "Foundation Release" meaning that any advertised features would be added later at an unspecified date. The amount of rage was large on the Steam forums.

Them 2 things happened. First was, for some reason, the developers had been removing negative comments on the Steam Forum for the game as well as their own forums. Valve said they would investigate into the matter right away.

Then in the same day this article by Forbes goes up:
Link:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/19/allegations-of-false-advertising-hound-the-war-z-release-on-steam/

Later that day, TheWarZ disappered from Steam with Valve apologizing right away.

Essentially, TheWarZ got caught lying its ass off about everything and now its reputation is ruined.

Aardvaarkman:

balberoy:

This is a real sign of the times, that people now think it's "generous" to do what was pretty standard customer service not so long ago.

Well I think it depends how you're seeing it. I mean if you paid to watch a movie in the theater (or rented it) and didn't like it, are you allowed to ask for your money back? I mean you're paying for the experience and you're taking a risk.

Aardvaarkman:

Yeah, it actually was. The description of the game promised certain things that didn't actually exist in the game. It's like a car dealer selling you car saying that the engine was a V8, but it actually only had four cylinders.

This I agree with though, the game was most definitely falsely advertised.

Aardvaarkman:

I'm not sure why Valve/Steam should be praised here, after all, they were the ones who allowed this false advertising on their service in the first place.

They don't deserve praise, but I don't know if they deserve criticism. They have to trust the other parties to some extent, but they definitely need to impose sanction for breaking that trust.

AzrealMaximillion:

KingsGambit:

I'll try to fill you in.

Hammerpoint made a game called The War Inc. A free-to play FPS. Then the DAYZ mod for ARMA 2 appeared and earned the ARMA developers a boatload of new sales. So much so that Bohemian (the ARMA devs) started patching ARMA 2 specifically for DAYZ. What was really great for DAYZ was that Bohemian is now the developer for the DAYZ standalone title with Dean Hall (the man behind the successful mod) as project leader. That's a huge success.

Hammerpoint started making ads for a game called TheWarZ not too long after DAYZ was featured on every single online outlet. Some outlets outright questioned it for being a scam job right off the bat. Others ignored it. The WarZ is just The War Inc. with zombies, a map that's half the size of DayZ's(was advertised as bigger than DAYZ), half the features of DayZ and about none of the effort to cover up the fact that every character model in the WarZ is exactly the same as it was in the War Inc.

All the while charging people for it in a way that you would see in most Free to play games ON TOP of $15.

So what happens next is this The WarZ game winds up on Steam out of seemingly nowhere. It advertised a bunch a feature that it did not have.

When confronted with questions about the Steam Store Desctiption the devs denied that the game was in an alpha or beta release. The called the release a "Foundation Release" meaning that any advertised features would be added later at an unspecified date. The amount of rage was large on the Steam forums.

Them 2 things happened. First was, for some reason, the developers had been removing negative comments on the Steam Forum for the game as well as their own forums. Valve said they would investigate into the matter right away.

Link:http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/12/19/allegations-of-false-advertising-hound-the-war-z-release-on-steam/

Later that day, TheWarZ disappered from Steam with Valve apologizing right away.

Essentially, TheWarZ got caught lying its ass off about everything and now its reputation is ruined.

THank you very much for your post. I'm just, wow. As well as being as shady as it comes, I'm stunned a game could make it onto Steam without some stringent QA first. I love the stories of the little guy getting noticed by his excellent work and landing a job with the big guys, but I find it hard to believe how a company, with a presumably well known product, could get up to such practices and how it could get released and monetised the way it was, all without Valve clocking on.

Hadn't heard about this before so a big thanks for the very informative post. This should really have prefaced the original article :-)

KingsGambit:

AzrealMaximillion:

KingsGambit:

I'll try to fill you in.

THank you very much for your post. I'm just, wow. As well as being as shady as it comes, I'm stunned a game could make it onto Steam without some stringent QA first. I love the stories of the little guy getting noticed by his excellent work and landing a job with the big guys, but I find it hard to believe how a company, with a presumably well known product, could get up to such practices and how it could get released and monetised the way it was, all without Valve clocking on.

Hadn't heard about this before so a big thanks for the very informative post. This should really have prefaced the original article :-)

It should have. Rock Paper Shotgun and Kotaku had been following the scummyness of this game. The Escapist website isn't the best for keeping an eye on stuff like this. Other websites have gone into what controversies Steam Greenlight went through and are going through currently, the Escapist members are largely unaware of these.

Also one of the major reasons why this game was put on Steam so quickly is because they had The War Inc. on Steam before. When a developer puts a game on Steam their other titles are very much more likely to accepted without much review.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here