Irrational Invites You to Watch BioShock Infinite's Opening Scene

Irrational Invites You to Watch BioShock Infinite's Opening Scene

If you can handle minor spoilers, a taste of BioShock Infinite is waiting for you.

If you just can't stand the thought of waiting until late March of 2013 to embark on BioShock Infinite's epic adventure, developer Irrational Games wants to offer you a glimpse at what you can look forward to. The company has just posted the first few minutes of BioShock Infinite online for all to see, but fair warning: Even seeing this opening scene could spoil a bit of the game's mystique.

If you're not worried about spoilers, the short clip should offer a good bit of nostalgia to BioShock veterans, and should be plenty to keep fans of the series drooling in anticipation of the full product.

You can read more about BioShock Infinite in our hands-on preview where we spent a solid few hours taking in everything the floating city of Columbia had to offer. We also interviewed writer Drew Holmes about both Infinite and the BioShock series as a whole.

That woman in the boat... I know her voice from somewhere.

And once again, Bioshock sets a perfect mystical atmosphere.

I was not sure if I should click this or not, in case of story spoilers that I didn't want to experience prematurely. Fortunately, not that much happens in the first five minutes, although I noticed a lot of things on the walls that I will definitely take a closer look at in my very own playthrough.

I'm suspecting all of the really spoilery story-stuff will happen about six minutes into the game... :P

I love the atmosphere in this. It feels a lot like the first game, mysterious and unsettling.

Quaxar:

It sounds a lot like Jennifer Hale putting on an accent. I don't know if it is her or not, but it sure does sound like it might be.

Booker hadn't even arrived at Columbia and already this screams Bioshock. Totally digging the nostalgia here, and it looks like there's a lot more details in this lighthouse. Probably gonna end up spending the first 5 minutes exploring every nook and cranny here.

Tank207:

Quaxar:

It sounds a lot like Jennifer Hale putting on an accent. I don't know if it is her or not, but it sure does sound like it might be.

Kind of reminds me of the female Sylvari voice in Guild Wars 2. But I'm really confused when I hear the voice because I know I recognize it but I can't figure out where from.

It looks fine. Really nice. I do want to get the game, despite getting headaches from playing in first person.

I just... I can't get over this one thing:

Ok, I realise that there wouldn't be a game without it, but... It's just such a bad idea.

Ooh, this should be... Unskippable! Seriously, LRR, special edition, get on that...

I didn't watch the video, but from these comments, it sounds like it's just like another Bioshock. That's enough for me; I'll be marking my calendar.

Tank207:

Quaxar:

Quaxar:
Kind of reminds me of the female Sylvari voice in Guild Wars 2. But I'm really confused when I hear the voice because I know I recognize it but I can't figure out where from.

My first thought was Dr Naomi Hunter from Metal Gear Solid, especially when she said the word "experiment"... which would actually be Jennifer Hale putting on an accent, so I'm agreeing with Tank207 on this one.

The best part of Bioshock 1 was not knowing anything about it, especially in that opening cutscene. No way am I watching that video.

This meets expectations looks good feels good and hopefully is good :) got a llot of hope for this and dare iI say a similar feel for the new Tomb Raider.

roushutsu:
Booker hadn't even arrived at Columbia and already this screams Bioshock. Totally digging the nostalgia here, and it looks like there's a lot more details in this lighthouse. Probably gonna end up spending the first 5 minutes exploring every nook and cranny here.

This is one of the few times where reusing graphical elements made me smile more than cringe. The white froth that shows up at the base of the lighthouse? Bioshock 1 and 2 used the exact same effect. Feels like Irrational is choosing to reuse a few minor assets. In this case, it feels pretty smart.

looks intriguing but then again the first 5 minutes of bioshock blew me away before i came to hate the thing with a passion

Looks awesome, seems to be setting up the whole story as a dream or hallucination though. Which is probably a big red herring...

Loving the atmosphere it sets.
One thing i found weird was that, it being 1st person, his head turned 360 degrees in the chair.

Quaxar:

She (her voice) reminded me of Maude, from The Big Lebowski. That'd be... damn I can't remember the actress' name, it's same broad that played Clarice on Hannibal. But I don't thin k it's HER on a game, unless that character has a bigger role latter on and stuff.

[spoilers] the intro paying homage to the first Bioshock was awesome!!! The lighthouse, the box full of items, I loved it! And then instead of going down you go UP lol so neat!!! [/spoilers]

This game is looking amazing.
For those who want a final taste of Bioshock, try "Rapture", it's a Bioshock novel, I bought it because it was cheap, thought it would suck, it turned out to be a hell of a story, so good that I can easily see someone who never even played Bioshock enjoying it. It's a prequel, and it focuses on Ryan and his relationship with McDonagh (from Fighting McDonagh) and eventually Doctor Lamb, it also gives us a great feedback on many of those characters we only heard about in those audiologs, it's an easy reading, and depending on how fast you read (or time you have to do so) you can finish it in a couple of days or something. It's one of the few books based on games I'd recommend, it amazed me that there was no foolish attempt to turn it into an action thriller of sorts, but rather a noir novel deserving of the game; it's a voyage that begins in New York and ends with the first signs of Rapture's fall, it's amazing!

I wasn't too big of a fan of the intro. I get the whole homage thing but shouldn't it feel new and exciting going to this unknown place? This left me with the impression of run-of-the-mill morning commute to a crazy city. Also, that voiced protagonist bit got old fast. Thank god it's not going to be like that the whole game.

I'm such a sucker for spoilers; I can't resist them and now the wait until March is going to be even more excruciating.

ChocoFace:
Loving the atmosphere it sets.
One thing i found weird was that, it being 1st person, his head turned 360 degrees in the chair.

The chair was on a rotatable platform. Watch again: the whole chair moved, then dipped forward.

Sande45:
I wasn't too big of a fan of the intro. I get the whole homage thing but shouldn't it feel new and exciting going to this unknown place? This left me with the impression of run-of-the-mill morning commute to a crazy city. Also, that voiced protagonist bit got old fast. Thank god it's not going to be like that the whole game.

Yeah, Far Cry 3 has that and sometimes it gets annoying.

OT: Well, I think it would have done better had the giant red lights not appeared, it just kinda...idk. Although I had assumed Columbia was known to everyone, I guess it's just like Rapture. I also hate the name of the protagonist, it even sounds stupid when he says it.

Quaxar:

Almost positive thats Jennifer Hale. She does a similar voice in Guild Wars 2 in playing the female character if you choose the sylvari race.

Its not surprising since they got Troy Baker to do Booker.

Ishal:

Quaxar:

Almost positive thats Jennifer Hale. She does a similar voice in Guild Wars 2 in playing the female character if you choose the sylvari race.

Its not surprising since they got Troy Baker to do Booker.

YES! So my hunch was correct, it is the same voice as the female Sylvari, my most favourite voice in the whole game.
Thank you so much, that drove me nuts.

EHKOS:

OT: Well, I think it would have done better had the giant red lights not appeared, it just kinda...idk. Although I had assumed Columbia was known to everyone, I guess it's just like Rapture. I also hate the name of the protagonist, it even sounds stupid when he says it.

Didn't Columbia use to be some kind of traveling exhibition of American greatness? So it probably was pretty well known and public but after shit hit the fan they cut off all connections or something.

Dammit, just when I thought the starting gun is a Mauser C96 they drop it down into a fire. 0/10 wud not play.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here