Black Isle Studios Launches "PV13" Fundraising Campaign

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Black Isle Studios Launches "PV13" Fundraising Campaign

The once-famed studio needs help getting its new post-apocalyptic RPG off the ground.

Black Isle Studios, which you may remember from such games as Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and Fallout 2, was resurrected, at least in name, by Interplay earlier this year. The idea of Interplay, a shambling corpse in its own right, resurrecting anything might seem a little unlikely, but it looks like they're serious about it. The studio has a new(ish) project on the go and it wants your money to help make it happen.

The Black Isle Mayan Apocalypse Replacement program is based on the relatively simple idea that the looming Mayan end of the world can be faked out by a virtual doomsday, which actually makes no sense whatsoever - but that's alright, because what they're really after is your money. It's kind of like Kickstarter, with two major exceptions: One, the money is taken immediately rather than on the contingency that a funding goal is met, and two, you get nothing for it beyond access to a private forum and the satisfaction that comes from doing a solid for destitute game studio.

The game in question, by the way, is currently known as "PV13," which may sound familiar but has absolutely nothing to do with Fallout, a game that Interplay and Black Isle seem to be legally precluded from even thinking about. It will be a post-apocalyptic strategy RPG, however, in which players assemble and lead a colony of survivors while experiencing "grand adventures" in a devastated world.

The money raised will go toward the development of a "proof of concept" prototype, which will then be used to attract further investment required to finish the game. "We've got some great ideas, but they haven't been tested in the crucible of actual play," the studio explained. "We'll have most, if not all, systems in the proof of concept. We'll be able to run around the world, interacting with NPCs and objects, basic combat, building and worker management, and test the other core gameplay mechanics."

Okay, it's not the most rock-solid proposition ever. I'd love to see a new Black Isle Studios RPG, but "give us money" isn't the most compelling sales pitch I've ever heard. I also can't help but notice that Interplay President Eric Caen has kicked in a whopping 75 bucks to the cause, not exactly the most inspirational bit of leadership-by-example I've ever seen. Do I really need to say this? Dare to dream, kids, but caveat those emptors.

Source: Black Isle Studios

Oh my god. Black isle are back!?!

They are by far some of the finest developers in existence. This can only mean good things will happen :3

I wouldn't get your hopes up Rookie, there is nothing in Black Isle from the original except the name.

I'll cross my fingers and maybe hold off donating for a bit until I see more. It doesn't say donators will get a copy of the game/prototype (I may be missing something), so I'll just wait and see.

lRookiel:

They are by far some of the finest developers in existence. This can only mean good things will happen :3

Yeahhh, sorry to break it too you, but the team seems to be mostly new. Its just Interplay using the name to build interest, as most of the Old guard devs are at obsidian entertainment, bioware or setting up their own projects...

Atm, We would be lucky to get anything good out of this.

what the hell. so it is a funding drive for a game in the video they say "get a cool game" but nowhere does it say this amount of backing gets you the game, and then almost everybody worth anything from Black Isle is at Obsidian, so what the heck they don't even have the right to say Fallout, and really they talk about not making a clone, but this sounds like a Fallout (you just get to focus on a single community. this is not as bad as when GOG was doing pay what you want, but come on people.

So they're holding a kickstarter to kickstart a kickstarter?

Looks like the game industry finally made a joke out of kickstarter. Well, more of a "straw that broke the camels back" type thing. For me, at least.

lRookiel:

Not... quite. It's only Black Isle in name only. Most of the former Black Isle employees went on to form Obsidian. So... yeah, this is Black Isle in name only.

The corporate zombie has begun to feed...

(more serious now)While I've enjoyed a few BI games, I want to see what they're working on before I give them money. Hell, I'd be more comfortable if they'd done something on kickstarter. Call me cynical, but they want donations for a prototype project, to get funding... I'll hold off until I see some gameplay.

I love the sound of the premise, I really do (Which is why I supported Forsaken Fortress http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1317934609/forsaken-fortress ) but... they have a prototype, a goal, a breakdown of WHAT they need funds for...

Blackisle isnt telling me what they need the cash for (just saying prototype) and say "PV 13 has been in development for years," (Go ahead and search that on their site) but they dont show ANYTHING of their work, not even concepts early models ect... And ontop of that they dont give an estimated date of release OR a goal for funding...

Seems like a hoax to me so sorry guys, until you put more info out you arent getting a penny from me.

Irridium:

Looks like the game industry finally made a joke out of kickstarter.

Pretty much this. You're so broke that you can't afford to make a friggin' prototype? I think at that point you kind of have to officially shut down, because no amount of crowdfunding is going to save you.

When was the last time Interplay put out a game, anyway? What have they been doing since the Golden Age of PC Gaming? Sitting around with their thumbs up their collective asses?

Sorry guys and gals,
I'd like to help but you're not giving me much to go on here.
I'd also like a little more back than just goodwill and reassurance that you'll make a solid game.
Your name alone ain't selling it for me.

After the reaction of Black Isle's 'resurrection', I can't help but think this wasn't that great a move.
Looking at the Facebook feed on their site I almost feel bad for them.

Irridium:

Looks like the game industry finally made a joke out of kickstarter. Well, more of a "straw that broke the camels back" type thing. For me, at least.

Not... quite. It's only Black Isle in name only. Most of the former Black Isle employees went on to form Obsidian. So... yeah, this is Black Isle in name only.

Irridium:

NOOOOOOOO! Now I'm sad :(

They really don't seem to be doing much to encourage people to back this project.

It looks like they rely on the name "Black Isle" alone to get those funds.

I don't think projects like this one should be encouraged..

Sidney Buit:
I wouldn't get your hopes up Rookie, there is nothing in Black Isle from the original except the name.

Chris Taylor is still involved, so technically there is slightly more than nothing left. Not really enough to inspire much confidence though. Especially when their entire pitch is basically "We haven't done anything in ages. Please give us money so we can do something.". Which is a shame, since it does sound like an interesting concept. But the world is full of people with interesting concepts. Hell, I have a few myself. It takes a little more than just a concept to convince people to start throwing money at you.

Worthless zombie company does not deserve your money.

I see that their Youtube video is full of shame and cowardice. Disabling rating votes and comments? No surer proof of a rat in the pudding.

Wow. Just hit their main site and there's not even the promise of the game itself if/when finished. Nothing, absolutely nothing for your investment but fuzzy feelings and... pff, pretty badges for their official forums. Send them $1000 and IF the game ever happens, they'll charge you for it.

There are several proof-of-concept projects on Kickstarter, successful ones at that. While they cannot offer the finished product (poc = a fancy skeleton to show to big publishers as part of a sales pitch for bigger funding to make the real thing) they all toss you a bone in the form of some reward or other related to X project.

This proves they lack the preparation, ability or dignity to even open a Kickstarter. They skipped all that and went directly to the begging. A truly pathetic pitch. If this is their definition of quality, they deserve to fail. Hard.

I um. . .yeah this is kinda on the shady desperate side, even for me.

It all sounds like one big joke.

I cannot imagine anyone supporting this.

Stop defiling Black Isle's Corpse.

Jesus Christ you guys...

Absolutely fucking disgusting.

Though I bet the folks at Obsidian and inXile are having a good laugh about it.

Know what made Black Isle great? The people who worked there. Now they work elsewhere, and I've already supported their Kickstarters (which, by-the-by, actually had, you know, games associated with them).

Andy Chalk:

The money raised will go toward the development of a "proof of concept" prototype

"We got nothing except rights to a famous name and a logo so give us money and maybe we'll come up with something."

The amount of contempt I feel for these people cannot be expressed without using some words that are probably bannable...

lRookiel:

Black Isle never left, they just shed their old skin and became Obsidian. Interplay has simply hired someone to wear the old skin and claim that they're Black Isle.

FelixG:
I love the sound of the premise, I really do (Which is why I supported Forsaken Fortress http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1317934609/forsaken-fortress ) but... they have a prototype, a goal, a breakdown of WHAT they need funds for...

Blackisle isnt telling me what they need the cash for (just saying prototype) and say "PV 13 has been in development for years," (Go ahead and search that on their site) but they dont show ANYTHING of their work, not even concepts early models ect... And ontop of that they dont give an estimated date of release OR a goal for funding...

Seems like a hoax to me so sorry guys, until you put more info out you arent getting a penny from me.

while i dont think its a hoax as such i do think they are hoping the name alone will get them money.

i donated some to forsaken fortress too now that does look good, full base building, doesnt look like any loading screens, large world to explore, if they can get anough for the free play pledge ill be very happy, although i am wondering what an atomic squirrel is

Fuck Interplay for laying off the real Black Isle who were in beta for Project Von Buren (the original Fallout 3) and greenlighting this:

Fuck them for holding onto the rights to a Fallout MMO for years and just wanking off with the intellectual property.

Penny Arcade strip from goddamn 2004

Fuck them, NOW, for having the AUDACITY to resurrect the name Black Isle to call a beloved studio of dev's they fired (who went on to Obsidian and Troika games, respectively) and use that to beg for money.

Interplay, the corporation (not it's actual personnel), should be dragged into the street and raped to death by raiders and supermutants.

-------
-------

Now, with that unequivocal bile out of the way... Chris Taylor and Mark O' Green are great talents and I don't begrudge their choice to be involved, I wish them all the best luck, but I am worried how interplay (and fans) will treat them - same goes for other poor bastard talent asked to stand in as "Black Isle".

Also, the video is dumb. >:P *blows rasberries*

Edit: I think I just lost some interest after reading a few comments here.

wombat_of_war:

FelixG:

while i dont think its a hoax as such i do think they are hoping the name alone will get them money.

i donated some to forsaken fortress too now that does look good, full base building, doesnt look like any loading screens, large world to explore, if they can get anough for the free play pledge ill be very happy, although i am wondering what an atomic squirrel is

Sorry, hoax wasnt the right word (wrote that just before bed) I was thinking more of vapor-ware.

I mean, seriously... working on it for several years, yet not even so much as concept art to show for it...

Ugh, way to make crowd sourcing cynical. Interplay, and this new Black Isle, are like the Roach Alien from Men in Black. A hollowed out husk of it's former self with the heart of vermin.

This is like someone giving a dog the same name like my old dog and tries to convince me it is the same dog.

Just sounds like the Shaker RPG all over again. The Youtube video looks woefully amateur (it even has a grammar error in the description, for God's sake), and I really don't like the veiled sarcasm they're throwing around in their overview of the project.

Hopefully gamers will have some common sense and stay far, far away from this.

Black Isle, (the name) a company you respect and love. Check.
A RPG/Strategy Post Apocalypse game. Check.
Clear desire of spokespeople to create a good game. Check.

Actual substance to promises. No check.

Eh, good enough for marketing. Who needs smart money when dumb money is printed with the same ink on the same bills?

A Kickstarter for a post-apocalyptic role-playing game? Backed up by some of the names that helped establish the genre, and bring it to the forefront of the public's mind? I've definitely got some money in that!

...in the form of Wasteland 2.

This, by contrast, is the shredded remains of Interplay, long after virtually everyone of note has long since abandoned ship, desecrating the corpse of Black Isle Studios in an attempt to raise some capital. The only Kickstarter I'd be less interested in would involve Tim Langdell trying to resurrect Edge in order to finance his legal fund.

lRookiel:
NOOOOOOOO! Now I'm sad :(

If you never had, go dig up Arcanum or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines from Troika. That, inXile and Obsidian are as close to Black Isle as you're going to see.

Fuck off. You aren't Black Isle. You are a shell of what Black Isle was. I'm glad people with talent left that sinking ship and went to other places. Obsidian and inXile for example.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here