Fan-Voted Legend of Zelda Lego Set Rejected

Fan-Voted Legend of Zelda Lego Set Rejected

Expensive molds kept The Legend of Zelda Legos from becoming a reality.

Lego Cuusoo is a voting process that gives fans a chance to propose and plan new Lego sets. Previous successful Lego Cuusoo campaigns include the Minecraft Legos, so it's not unusual to see video game properties make their way onto the Cuusoo site. Earlier this year, The Legend of Zelda was proposed as the next Lego Cuusoo project, and received 10,000 votes of support after months of planning. Sadly, though it was close to success, The Legend of Zelda Lego set was ultimately rejected.

On the Lego Cuusoo site, the team thanked participants for their ideas, but stated that after review, The Legend of Zelda Legos were not meant to be. The reason? "Multiple new element molds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these molds means that the Legend of Zelda project unfortunately does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case." Basically, it would be too costly to create minifigs of Link, Zelda, Ganon, and their Hyrule buddies.

Something similar happened earlier this year, when Lego Cuusoo rejected the Firefly Lego set proposed by fans (only in that case, they didn't feel the property was age-appropriate). The news isn't all bad, though: instead of Zelda, the Cuusoo team chose a Back to the Future Lego set, including a Lego DeLorean. It's a shame we won't get to see more video game properties become Lego-fied just yet, but at least we'll have a neat Lego time machine.

Source: GamesRadar

Damn you lego! I always wanted Zelda legos as a kid and they just had to shoot it down... sigh. Shame too, those minifigs look awesome.

an annoyed writer:
Damn you lego! I always wanted Zelda legos as a kid and they just had to shoot it down... sigh. Shame too, those minifigs look awesome.

That's the problem all that specialization ain't free :/

OT: Need extra cash? Why not Zoiberg Kickstarter?
OMG Zelda Lego: The video game!

I don't really get it. Yeah, the molds might be expensive initially, but Zelda legos would be a huge property that would probably sell a little less well than Star Wars. They approve a Back to the Future Lego set, which probably won't sell much at all except to huge fans of the series. Children in the age group they're targeting aren't huge BttF fans.

I'm just gonna make my own trio using CAD, print them out and then paint them using my paint I have for WH40K.

Don't they have to create new element molds for pretty much every different franchise they make? What makes this one different?

DVS BSTrD:

Dude, if that actually happens, I will literally throw my wallet at my screen with hysterical screams added for effect.

OT, I would buy a Zelda set and I don't use Lego much anymore. It would be awesome for stop motion short films.

I see some easily-fixed problems in that graphic. They're texturing the Hylian shield instead of painting it on a regular Knight shield. The ears are irrelevant and can be hidden under hair or hats, or they can reuse the Lord of the Rings set molds. The ocarina doesn't need actual holes in it, they can be easily replicated with paint. The Master Sword can be retooled slightly to similarly reflect the Knights sets, needing only different paint (though admittedly, may not reflect the IP satisfactorily). The hairpieces are problematic, but again, the Knights and Lord of the Rings sets surely have similar enough molds...

they also shot down the EVE online lego set even though it got its signatures because it wasnt age appropriate

Really not a big deal.

[oldManVoice]

Back in my day if I wanted to play Zelda with Legos, I used my imagination to fill in the gaps.

[/oldManVoice]

When I had my Lego Phase in the 80s, there were no movie-franchise tie-ins. You had generic City (boring), Castle, Pirates and Space lines. If you were a fan of Star Wars, as I was, you didn't just get daddy to buy you the Death Star set, you started building the Death Star yourself. THAT is what Lego used to be about. It's not just some 3D-puzzle, it's an outlet for your fantasy.

I built Airwolf, K.I.T.T. and the Millenium Falcon, I used Lego Technic to build an Imperial Walker that could walk - though not reliably.

So when I see Serenity or the DeLorean, it's a big fucking MEH. Various people built Minas Tirith and that didn't come as a set either.

As for Zelda: just get some figures from the Castle line (Robin Hood comes to mind) and a big dose of IMAGINATION.

RubyT:
When I had my Lego Phase in the 80s, there were no movie-franchise tie-ins. You had generic City (boring), Castle, Pirates and Space lines. If you were a fan of Star Wars, as I was, you didn't just get daddy to buy you the Death Star set, you started building the Death Star yourself. THAT is what Lego used to be about. It's not just some 3D-puzzle, it's an outlet for your fantasy.

I built Airwolf, K.I.T.T. and the Millenium Falcon, I used Lego Technic to build an Imperial Walker that could walk - though not reliably.

So when I see Serenity or the DeLorean, it's a big fucking MEH. Various people built Minas Tirith and that didn't come as a set either.

As for Zelda: just get some figures from the Castle line (Robin Hood comes to mind) and a big dose of IMAGINATION.

Plus they could snag Elf ears from the LotR Lego sets that are floating around.

I'm really interested in how these Cuusoo projects from existing IP work anyway. Is part of the review process contacting and reaching an agreement with the rights owner? Or does that come after they've passed? I can't find anything on the website that mentions it.

2xDouble:
I see some easily-fixed problems in that graphic. They're texturing the Hylian shield instead of painting it on a regular Knight shield. The ears are irrelevant and can be hidden under hair or hats, or they can reuse the Lord of the Rings set molds. The ocarina doesn't need actual holes in it, they can be easily replicated with paint. The Master Sword can be retooled slightly to similarly reflect the Knights sets, needing only different paint (though admittedly, may not reflect the IP satisfactorily). The hairpieces are problematic, but again, the Knights and Lord of the Rings sets surely have similar enough molds...

this is exactly what i was thinking, in their massive arsenal of molds, surely they have compatible enough stuff to make it work (not to mention as you said, just paint it on, don't worry about texturing it.)

bah, i would've gotten these for nice little things to have standing in the room.

I can see why they cost would have been prohibitive. A new mold for even a small piece, such as an ocarina or Link's hair, costs well of $100,000. They would never make back the potential millions in potential production costs.

And after they created that they could create a LEGO-LAND that is Huryle...
I think I just created teh most cool mental image ever!

DVS BSTrD:

Hmm.... Change the level design so that each dungeon can be handled in any order. Use the "Helmet" Gimmick from Lego Star Wars to access tools (find the right tool at the puzzle needing it). Characters who don't need to talk....

Great Scott!!! This is viable!!!

I can see the future: Mega Bloks just got a new video game IP...

I didn't know that a potential Legend of Zelda Lego Set was a thing until this thread. Now I'm disappoint. :(

Fordo:
[oldManVoice]

Back in my day if I wanted to play Zelda with Legos, I used my imagination to fill in the gaps.

[/oldManVoice]

There's no better Link than a green rectangular piece. :D

"No Zelda Lego set."

NOOOOOOOO! WHY?! Zelda is awesome! Yeah, the character models would change every time a new Zelda game is released but still!

"A Firefly Lego set was rejected.

Aw, come on! Give us at least something! We're still not over Firefly!

A Back to the Future set was approved.

Oh...well...alright, I guess. That's pretty awesome too.

It was a good day.

Shame. I totally would have bought that.

shameduser:
I can see why they cost would have been prohibitive. A new mold for even a small piece, such as an ocarina or Link's hair, costs well of $100,000. They would never make back the potential millions in potential production costs.

Considering the kinds of crap parts for figures Lego has shoveled over the years, dropping some money on molds for a sure winner can't be that difficult to do.

And, as said earlier, if they didn't want to create custom molds, just repurpose the ones they have (which is what they're doing with the BTTF set). It doesn't have to be a 100% match for the characters if you can have the ears not sticking out or the shield just being a general mould.

I wonder if they would reject an XCOM lego set. The IP was bought by Hasbro because they thought the aliens would make good toys, after all.

That's before they sold it off when they realized games aren't cheaply "molded" like toys are. And without games the toys are useless.

Sarah LeBoeuf:
"Multiple new element molds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these molds means that the Legend of Zelda project unfortunately does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case."-Lego

So the billion dollar LEGO company can't afford the molds? Smells like BS to me.

Y'know, I'll take a DeLorean in place of an ocarina.
I can understand where LEGO comes from on this. Printing new parts from old molds is expensive enough, and they did just make all those Hobbit pieces, some of them are new. Currently, The Legend of Zelda just isn't big enough moneymaker to warrant manufacturing new molds, not to mention the colossal amount of cash Nintendo would charge for licensing, on top of a massive cut of profits.

I must say, as someone who consistently put his lego knights in green shirts, and pretended to have a lego Zelda adventure, I find this news EXTREMELY disheartening. I genuinely would have made this the first lego set I've bought in years.

As others have pointed out, SOMEBODY making decisions at lego must be really uncreative if they can't think up a way to recycle molds for a Zelda set. That, or they're just BSing us and it's actually a licensing issue, which I find much more likely. Still unfortunate.

AzrealMaximillion:

Sarah LeBoeuf:
"Multiple new element molds would be required to create the minifigures for such a product, and the expense of these molds means that the Legend of Zelda project unfortunately does not pass the LEGO Review on the basis of the business case."-Lego

So the billion dollar LEGO company can't afford the molds? Smells like BS to me.

More like they do not see a large enough profit, regardless of how much the molds cost.

Why would a 20-year old movie franchise be more profitable than a still-relevant series of computer games?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here