Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

Ubisoft is reportedly in negotiations with THQ to acquire its studios and IP.

THQ filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection earlier this week and announced a $60 million asset purchase agreement with "stalking horse bidder" Clearlake Capital Group, but now it looks like another player could be in the running: publishing giant Ubisoft, which MCV says is already involved in "lengthy discussions" about an acquisition.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has previously expressed interest in THQ's properties. "They have good things," he told GamesIndustry in November. "We are always interested in good brands. For sure, it's something we can consider, but I can't tell you more."

The issue, according to the report, is price, as Ubisoft is apparently holding out for a fire sale and may wait until THQ is forced to break up and sell off individual assets. The stalking horse bid would seem to preclude that possibility, however, unless Ubisoft is expecting to acquire the assets from Clearview Capital, which I would think would mean substantially higher prices per property since, unlike THQ, it could afford to sit on them until it got the price it wanted.

THQ has five studios to its name, plus franchises including Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Homefront, Metro and Red Faction, plus WWE and Warhammer licenses. A successful acquisition would make Ubisoft, already a big player, a much more powerful force in the videogame industry.

Source: MCV

...dammit.

I can't really think of any of those game being improved by Ubisoft's current 'one game a year from each IP' model (note that I really only know about Darksiders, Saint's Row, and Metro).

And I was having so much fun with Darksiders.

Dont really see much to worry about.

Ubisoft isnt known for buying out and stripping the competition of valuable IPs.

No, fuck you ubisoft, get away!

Dont you come near THQ!

but...THQ owns Relic. And Relic are the ones who make the Dawn of War games.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*boom*

lets see.. have a game company aquire another game company and maybe at least have an option of producing those games. or have its debt holders sell it off in pieces and never see the games again...

Oh dear Zombie Christ, no. This was what the Mayans were ACTUALLY predicting as the end of the world! We'll lose decent Warhammer games!

*Suicide*

Of the three big publishers, EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, I honestly would rather Ubisoft get them. At least Ubisoft wants to try and release new IP every now and again, and they did do a nice job with current IP like bringing back Rayman, when they wern't busy with those stupid Rabids.

Dammit, now that Ubisoft logo will forever look like a weird eyeball to me.

isn't Metro owned by the independant developer 4A games though?

Also who's the 5th developer?

Relic Entertainment - Warhammer 40,000 and Company of Heroes

Vigil Games - Darksiders (I bet will be closed because darksiders 2 underperformed)

Volition, Inc. - Saints Row and Red Faction(already dead)

THQ Studio Montreal - all there tie ins and Play THQ titles

Would the resulting combination of studios become THQBsoft?

Okay, I'm done here.

Repeat after me: At least it is not EA or Activision.

Dammit THQ, dont do it, stay away from them Ubisoft.... although I guess at least its not activision or ea. But still, don't effin do it.

I have a bad feeling about this...

CrossLOPER:
Repeat after me: At least it is not EA or Activision.

Well silver linings and all that I suppose.

I don't see Ubisoft going all EA on the IP and developers, though. I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM, made PC versions of games like Asscreed come sooner and better ported, and they not only brought back the true Rayman experience, but is letting Ansel make a full on Wii U Rayman despite lackluster sales of Origins. Oh and I hear Far Cry 3 is pretty sweet. And we're supposedly being listened to about Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Basically, I would see this as a positive, games like Saints Row 4/Darksiders 3 having more funding and ending up more polished. To me there's a kind of THQ...feel to the current games that shows the budget constraints.

Hmmmm not sure if I like or not. At least its not EA or Activision so as long as it stays away from those two, we're good. But help me Nurgle if they fuck up Warhammer or the CoH series. Well it won't be pretty.

DrunkOnEstus:
I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM,

Anno 2070 has 3 machine activation limits. I mean it's not Max Payne 3 HARDWARE LOCKING but it's still a pain in the ass.

As long as I get a good DOW3 I dont care if they sell it to Satan or EA (they are the same thing right?)

As people have said: At least they beat EA and Activision to it.

I mean EA is not doing so well overall atm, which means they will be looking to assimilate new studios and IPs in the future to stabilize.

Small victories, silver lining and such.

No! Say away Ubisoft! Stay away from THQ. Then again at least EA and Activision aren't trying to go after it. However now that Ubisoft is eyeing them then EA and Activision may decide they want a piece of the THQ pie. They'll probably take the T...

On the one hand, I really dont want to see a yearly Saints Row that get progressively worse and have always online DRM. On the other hand, this could mean I get to play another Red Faction game, one that might be more like Guerrilla!

Tahaneira:
...dammit.

I can't really think of any of those game being improved by Ubisoft's current 'one game a year from each IP' model (note that I really only know about Darksiders, Saint's Row, and Metro).

And I was having so much fun with Darksiders.

I dont pay to much attention but isnt the only Ubisoft title that gets a yearly release assassins creed?

Great, I'm really looking forward to not buying Dawn of War 3 because of the horrible DRM it will have.

As long as it won't require Uplay or anything like that... I'm actually quite alright with this. As many already said: at least it ain't EA or Activision.

I don't know what to make of this. Ubi isn't the worst nor the best. I don't think that they'd ruin the THQ games but there are some companies which could have improved them.
We'll see how this goes. It's hard to say right now.

Not sure why so many people hate ubisoft, aside from their DRM.(which has been getting better)

Ubisoft isnt all that bad but I would really like to see 2K getting their hands on some of these IP's if everything goes to shit for THQ

gigastar:
Dont really see much to worry about.

Ubisoft isnt known for buying out and stripping the competition of valuable IPs.

Very true, they just make it prohibitively difficult for paying customers to access the product.

Froggy Slayer:
but...THQ owns Relic. And Relic are the ones who make the Dawn of War games.....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*boom*

I know im really unsure, Ubisoft is lesser of the evils between EA, ACTIVISION. I still dont like them, i just want a good Dawn of War 3 game with regular updates and not cutting up a 90% finished game for DLC like they did with Space Marine. Its warhammer 40k universe!!! endless amounts of DLC and expanion pack penitential.

I know its my dream but would it not be great if Valve popped up out of no where and got THQ ^.^

CrossLOPER:

DrunkOnEstus:
I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM,

Anno 2070 has 3 machine activation limits. I mean it's not Max Payne 3 HARDWARE LOCKING but it's still a pain in the ass.

Wow, there's some information I didn't know. I never saw a point to the limits other than to sell you the game more than once because you like to format often. So with Max Payne 3, you're locked out if you change your video card or something? Fuck. That. I guess we still have a ways to go...

AstaresPanda:

I know its my dream but would it not be great if Valve popped up out of no where and got THQ ^.^

Gabe Newell could buy THQ with money from his own pocket. Dude's a billionaire.

Hmm... the Ubisoft symbol looks like an eye. Eye get it.

Easton Dark:

AstaresPanda:

Hmm... the Ubisoft symbol looks like an eye. Eye get it.

Had no idea the guy was so loaded.

I just want warhammer 40k ip to be in good hands that stay faithful to the universe not end up watering it down to appeal. Relic does it right, all i feel they've ever needed is more staff funding and time to polish/finish.

AstaresPanda:

Easton Dark:

Had no idea the guy was so loaded.

It was recent announcement in the financial circles. Gaming circles didn't pick up on it.

Damn it. Better than EA or Capcom getting THQ. Worse than any other publisher getting them. There was only 3 publishers I was hoping would not get anywhere near THQ's remains. And unfortunately it seems one of them will get them.

I'd kinda rather never see DoW 3 or CoH 2 than have Activision, EA or Ubisoft acquire Relic. Unless they take a complete hands off stance from Relic and let them do their thing and none of those pubs have shown any true understanding of the PC market. That said Ubisoft did improve with Rayman so if they keep that attitude up it wouldn't be too bad.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here