Ubisoft Eyeballs THQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Chaos Marine:

BleedingPride:

Chaos Marine:

Every PC release they've done has been nothing but a condensed 'FUCK YOU PC GAMING COMMUNITY!'.

How so?

You mean how they habitually refer to PC gamers as pirates. Not just an amount of them but ALL of us. Their DRM is vicious to the extreme, compared to Steam it's like comparing a collar to a collar made of barbed-wire. They assured people that From Dust would not have DRM and yet it did. They lied. How stupid did they think people would be to not notice that crap.

At least Steam does offer an offline mode. Ubisoft's DRM didn't even come with an offline mode. I won't say it's perfect either. I've had time to need it and it's not worked but for the most part, it has worked.

Then of course, any kind of new DRM that comes around, they jump into it full tilt. Remember Starforce? Remember how much bullshit that caused? I build my own computers and for whatever reason, Starforce would throw hissy fits because I had more than one disc drive. In order to play Silent Hunter III I had to open my computer's case up to disconnect the SATA cables. How did I get around it? I used a NOCD crack that bypassed the Starforce crap. I legally buy a lot of games. I've been paying for games since I got work. I won't lie, I have pirated games when I was much, much younger. Because I couldn't afford them and my family wasn't rich enough to let me buy the games I wanted. And I was young and stupid. But now, I am gainfully employed so I buy my games. I've bought games from GoG and Steam that I'd pirated before.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197968099168/games?tab=all

Here's my Steam's game list.

You have everygame I do (and about 250 more!) where do you get the time to play them all?

CrossLOPER:

DrunkOnEstus:
I've actually kind of warmed up to Ubisoft...they got rid of the ridiculous server DRM,

Anno 2070 has 3 machine activation limits. I mean it's not Max Payne 3 HARDWARE LOCKING but it's still a pain in the ass.

pretty sure i was removed recently

Well, it was nice knowing you, Metro...

Chaos Marine:
Every PC release they've done has been nothing but a condensed 'FUCK YOU PC GAMING COMMUNITY!'.

With this kind of attitude, I can't imagine why.

My main concern is, with PC platform preferance, Ubisoft's "UPlay" becoming a part of THQ, more specifically Relic's games. It's what could directly serve to anger me the most.

UPlay is always on, always online DRM/Storefront/Bullshit. UPlay : Ubisoft = Origin : EA

To me it makes a lot of sense. THQ did have some decent money makers that were (objectively) good games as well. If Ubisoft threw their weight behind those franchises and focused less on the dying franchises then this could work out alright.

While the situation isn't ideal to some, I'd prefer have THQ sold to Ubisoft than see THQ sink all together.

I'm kinda worried about the whole thing to, especialy considering the DRM issue. But I might remember everyone, that all (newerish) THQ games I know of needed Steam. Hell: DoW II needed Games for Windows Live and that is one shitty piece of DRM. I really hope to see the 40k licence in good hands and I fear Ubisoft might not have the best intentions for it. Especially considered from a PC gamers standpoint. DoW could never survive in a console focused evironment (neither would CoH)and that would be a real loss.
But I don't really know what to make out of this. I just hope the best for THQ and for all their great studios and IPs.

For Those hoping on Valve: Dawn of War III. Darksiders III. See the problem there? (also later maybe CoH III, Metro III)

FelixG:
No, fuck you ubisoft, get away!

Dont you come near THQ!

It's either buy them, or they die and leave thousands of people out of work.

I swear to god if Metro Last light and Uplay are even mentioned on the same sentence I will burn all their studios to the ground.

II2:
UPlay : Ubisoft = Origin : EA

Origin:EA = Steam:Valve

Until this idiotic publisher rage stops, I will never stop pointing this out.

Well i guess if it saves a few studios then i-

"Ubisoft could own the Metro 2033 franchise"

**Rocks back and forth**

"I'm Not Listening precious!"

Bhaalspawn:

FelixG:

Dont you come near THQ!

There are plenty of other publishers for studios and what not to be picked up by

FelixG:

Bhaalspawn:

FelixG:

Dont you come near THQ!

There are plenty of other publishers for studios and what not to be picked up by

Yeah, but unless Zenimax, Atari, Activision-Blizzard, Nintendo, Square-Enix, Electronic Arts and any others make an actual offer, Ubisoft is the only choice. A publisher has to WANT to buy the company.

Bhaalspawn:

FelixG:

Bhaalspawn:

Yeah, but unless Zenimax, Atari, Activision-Blizzard, Nintendo, Square-Enix, Electronic Arts and any others make an actual offer, Ubisoft is the only choice. A publisher has to WANT to buy the company.

Ubisoft doesnt WANT to buy the company.

It said pretty clearly in the article that Ubisoft is waiting for a firesale breakup of assets to snap up what it wants, in which case all of the others would snap up bits as well.

A number of those properties make money, and there are a lot of other people I would rather see them in the hands of than Ubisoft. Which lucky its a moot point, because Ubisoft isnt getting them.

Z of the Na'vi:

Chaos Marine:

With this kind of attitude, I can't imagine why.

It's because of their attitude to us in the first place that I'm like this at all to begin with.

I liked the Silent Hunter series so I bought them all, I liked the Prince of Persia series so I bought them all, even since the series started going down hill for me after The Sands of Time. Fuck, I even bought that cell-shaded one the released a few years back simply because they didn't include any DRM on it and I wanted to show my support for non-DRM infested games. Nothing happened. I have a good number of Ubisoft games but their attitude over the last two or three odd years has soured me on them.

Double post. Could a mod delete this post please?

Bhaalspawn:

II2:

Except Origin is malware compared to Steam. Steam at least allows you to opt out of it's hardware surveys (and that's all they are) where Origin scans everything, hardware software etc and sells it to other companies. Steam can also be removed and not leave residual entries in your computer that keep it running secretly in the background. Like a fucking rootkit. There's also the fact that as far as business ethics go, Valve are far more moral and customer centric than EA are. And you can not deny that. You'd have to be an idiot to think that EA consider anything than focussing on the bottom line. Valve on the other hand consider the customer's satisfaction the most important thing.

All you're pointing out is your own lack of knowledge.

Also, captcha: crocodile tears.

Saints Row on Square's Luminous Engine would be crazy!

TBH Ubisoft is the best outcome considering who else could buy them.

Bhaalspawn:

FelixG:

Dont you come near THQ!

Please read the Article Bhaalspawn, it states that Ubi is waiting for THQ to die then pick its corpse clean of anything of value (ie the IP's not the personel).

So even if they did aquire THQ's assets there would still be large layoffs.

Chaos Marine:

Bhaalspawn:

II2:

Except Origin is malware compared to Steam. Steam at least allows you to opt out of it's hardware surveys (and that's all they are) where Origin scans everything, hardware software etc and sells it to other companies.

Really? Because the Terms of Service claims that EA will not provide your system information to anyone other than companies owned by EA. So if they are lying in that regard (and someone can prove it) then that would be severe felony in many countries.

But again, someone would have to prove it. "EA is teh Satan spawnz" is not proof, it's a bizzare accusation.

Steam can also be removed and not leave residual entries in your computer that keep it running secretly in the background. Like a fucking rootkit.

Those "Residual Entries" are two things. The first are registry entries that every program (including Steam) leaves that have to be removed manually. This is an issue with Windows, not the individual programs. The second (and the one I assume you are referring to) are the background processes that operate Origin's offline functions. Should Origin attempt to boot up without an internet connection on the specified PC, it will load your library to access your games. Whereas Steam requires an internet connection to boot, and then can be switched to Offline manually.

This is not a rootkit. You can uninstall this manually. hell, you can kill the process from the Task Manager.

There's also the fact that as far as business ethics go, Valve are far more moral and customer centric than EA are. And you can not deny that. You'd have to be an idiot to think that EA consider anything than focussing on the bottom line.

Oh I'm fully aware that EA's focus is on their revenue first and foremost. You know what other game companies do that? ALL OF THEM.

Valve even said that their constant sales pull in a lot of money, going so far as to say "If they didn't, we wouldn't do them" when EA claimed their sales cheapened intellectual property. Valve is just as concerned with the bottom line as every other game company out there.

This pathetic and outlandish villianization of EA is just getting hilarious at this point. Gamer Culture has gone from rolling their eyes at the buisiness side of EA, to paranoid delusions that they spend all their time drinking the blood of puppies and giggling madly on the throne of Mordor.

I'm not denying that EA does some stupid bullshit. But to claim that the things they put out is Malware or rootkits when even a cursory glance at them will tell you they aren't is insane.

Most people jumping on the "Origin is teh malwarez!" bandwagon just heard about the EULA on an Escapist article and made up their crap from there. I actually READ the EULA, particularly the point where they mentioned all their data scanning policies. And you know what? It's a policy already done by EVERY SINGLE GAME AND GAME CLIENT IN EXISTENCE. EA's just the only one that bothers to tell you.

Have you ever had a game automatically optimize it's settings for your system? That's because it accesses your system folder to gather your driver data. EA built that into their client for (and I'm not making this up) consumer and developer convenience.

I'm not saying EA is a great company. They put out a lot of crap, even for a publisher as large as they are. But they get FAR too much undeserved bile from the brat brigade of gamers.

If Ubisoft buys THQ, Ubisoft will risk going bankrupt from the sheer expense of wrapping copy protection around all their new assets.

Ed130:

Bhaalspawn:

FelixG:

Dont you come near THQ!

Please read the Article Bhaalspawn, it states that Ubi is waiting for THQ to die then pick its corpse clean of anything of value (ie the IP's not the personel).

So even if they did aquire THQ's assets there would still be large layoffs.

Please read the source Ed130. It clearly states that Ubisoft is in lengthy discussions with the firm. MCV does not state that Ubisoft is waiting for THQ to die. Here's a quote from the original article.

Now sources tell us it is already in lengthy discussions with the firm (and presumably its new owners at Clearlake investments) to forge a deal.

Price, however, is the obvious clincher - nose-tappers say that Ubisoft is after a bargain buy, and is prepared to hold-out until THQ is forced to sell off specific assets, as happened to now-defunct Midway when it went into bankruptcy four years ago.

If successful in the overall acquisition, though, Ubisoft would take over five studios and gain the rights to brands such as Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Darksiders, Homefront, Red Faction. Plus it would pick up the deals for games based on WWE and some Warhammer properties - WWE specifically would offer an expansion opportunity for Ubi, finally giving it a decent stake in the sports genre.

Importan part bolded. Neither Ubisoft or MCV is claiming that Ubisoft is holding out. Sounds nothing but speculations by some.

Bhaalspawn:

II2:

Calling me an idiot is a bit uncalled for.

I don't disagree with you that those services serve the same purpose for their respective companies / publishers as for Steam, but the main difference for me is that in Steam I find utility where the others just annoy me. I was similarly just as pissed at Steam's introduction in 2004 when it was 'that thing you need to run halflife 2', but I've begrudgingly come to peace with it's existence. I don't think that means that I can't or shouldn't feel frustrated when I get MORE unique authenticators and storefronts BEYOND of that for being a legitimate customer. It's ALL irritating.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here