The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012

The votes for The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012 have been cast, counted, and verified.

Given the videogame lineup this year, we had a doozy of a time trying to pick out a Game of the Year, so instead we turned to you. You had a week to cast your ballot, and you did, with every entry in the list receiving at least a handful of votes (some handfuls were much smaller than others.) The race was tight, with three games vying for the highest honors, but once the dust had settled, one game stood above the rest. The winner took a hefty 13.48% of the total vote, which isn't too shabby considering the 20 titles in contention.

The official community choice for The Escapist's Game of the Year 2012 is... wait for it... Mass Effect 3 by Bioware!

The sci-fi action role-playing game caused a bit of a stir this year, but the controversial ending didn't stop it from being chosen as the best game of 2012. Perhaps it was the Extended Cut that quelled the uproar and put Mass Effect 3 on top for Game of the Year. Maybe the continued DLC support, with the most recent Omega having just come out in November, kept it fresh in the minds of gamers everywhere. Whatever the reason, we here at The Escapist are officially calling Mass Effect 3 our community-picked Game of the Year 2012.

In a delightful twist, our runner up this year was The Walking Dead, Telltale's five-part point-and-click zombie adventure game based on the world of Robert Kirkman's comic series of the same name, which took 12.54% of the total vote. Rounding out third place, but not trailing by much, is the third-person shooter Spec Ops: The Line, developed by Yager, which received 11.17%. Meanwhile, receiving the honors for least-voted-for-game is Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which received all of 15 votes over the course of the week.

Check out our Game of the Year 2012 page for the community and, of course, our editors' picks. We've also been featuring the picks from our contributors over the last two weeks - click here for five Jimquisition videos outlining his top games of 2012 as well as the picks of Gavin Dunne from Miracle of Sound. Of course, The Escapist editors show off their Five Favorites this week too.

Many thanks to everyone who voted for Game of the Year 2012, and may 2013 be as glorious for gaming as this year has been. Happy New Year!

Ha! Blops2 got .33%

I'm sad FTL wasn't higher though :(

In before people accuse the site of being bought out by EA despite this being a community based vote.

Shame TWD didn't take it but it got second, which is just as good. Kinda.

Huh, you'd think with all the ME3 whining, it would be lower. Personally I think The Walking Dead deserves it more.

Oh this should be rich. I'm going to hang out here just to watch the rage. That said, I'm pleased Dishonored (my pick) ranked well.

Yeah, I've been here long enough to know that anything bioware is a shoo-in for "game of the year".

Incoming flame war. Take cover.

I voted for x-com because it was one of the few games played this year pity id didn't win.

Quick, someone get Zeel back!

:D

I've got to say, though I voted for Far Cry 3, I'm pleased ME3 won. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
Plus now that I've got X-Com, I really want someone to make a ME version.

Blunderboy:
Quick, someone get Zeel back!

:D

I've got to say, though I voted for Far Cry 3, I'm pleased ME3 won. I enjoyed the hell out of that game.
Plus now that I've got X-Com, I really want someone to make a ME version.

This thread would be on page 5 by now if Zeel was still around. I'm actually surprised ME3 came out on top in this community.

Hmm, I am a bit surprised that Journey in not in top 5. But, since it is a single-console exclusive, I shouldn't have expected a lot.
Sixth place is nice too.

ME3 for the most part is a good game, but when you have a horrendously botched ending, that should have excluded it as GOTY.
No, its just not a bad ending, its a horrendously botched ending.

I find the top ten split to be more interesting than just game of the year.

Half of the top ten, and 3/5 of the top 5 were actual brand new IPs. That is a rather interesting set of statements from the community. It's even more interesting when you consider that the actual split between new IP and sequel for the list of 20 was just in favor of sequel at 11/9.

Wait, seriously?

After all that, after the constant threads and complaints about it, Mass Effect 3 gets voted game of the year? I don't even...

Ah well, I'm glad my personal GOTY (Borderlands 2) is in the top 10.

I'm quite pleased to see that the results were so leveled, instead of everyone going for one thing.

Also I've noticed a trend of Mass Effect 3 winning a lot of community-voted game of the year awards...

shadowmagus:
Oh this should be rich. I'm going to hang out here just to watch the rage. That said, I'm pleased Dishonored (my pick) ranked well.

Same here. I can't wait for the incoming flame war.

Hazy992:
After all that, after the constant threads and complaints about it, Mass Effect 3 gets voted game of the year? I don't even...

Murmillos:
ME3 for the most part is a good game, but when you have a horrendously botched ending, that should have excluded it as GOTY.
No, its just not a bad ending, its a horrendously botched ending.

Like most games, it's likely that most people who played it never finished the game. And out of those that did, there's a chance that a lot of them didn't care in light of the rest of the game (or reached the end post patch). The many people posting about how terrible the whole game is (due to the last few minutes) are likely still a "vocal minority" compared to the people who otherwise enjoyed the game.

People who enjoyed things rarely bother to post on forums about it, unless they have something unusual or unknown to discuss. People who have a few minutes of lag connecting to a server, or something poke their video card the wrong way once will sometimes post with great emotion about their lost time/etc. The occasional negative posting (some percentage of people with a specific problem) ends up seeming much higher because the typical response a person with a good experience has to offer is "it worked for me"/"I enjoyed the game throughout" - which doesn't hold up against paragraphs of vitriol. That is, if that person even cares enough to respond rather then just playing the game/haven't encountered the problem and aren't looking to talk about such things.

Aerosteam:
I'm quite pleased to see that the results were so varied, instead of everyone going for one thing.

Also I've noticed a trend of Mass Effect 3 winning a lot of community-voted game of the year awards...

Vocal minority, silent majority.

It's still a thing, you know.

OT: Called it. I'm surprised Far Cry 3 wasn't in the top five, though.

Spec Ops: The Line got third? I'm surprised that many people played it. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely stoked that it got so high, it definitely deserves it. It's just that I'm very surprised that it achieved it.

Faster Than Light doesn't even get a loser's... I mean, an honourable mention?
EDIT: Nevermind. I didn't see it because it was abbreviated. ~4%? Not that bad for a small indie title.

I voted Mass Effect 3 less because of the game itself, but more because of the entire trilogy. It was nice seeing a great story come to a close, even if the ending wasn't great. Despite the ending, ME3 had fantastic storytelling and it was the best game I played this year. I'm glad it won, though from what I hear, Walking Dead might have deserved it.

The sci-fi action role-playing game caused a bit of a stir this year, but the controversial ending didn't stop it from being chosen as the best game of 2012. Perhaps it was the Extended Cut that quelled the uproar and put Mass Effect 3 on top for Game of the Year. Maybe the continued DLC support, with the most recent Omega having just come out in November, kept it fresh in the minds of gamers everywhere. Whatever the reason, we here at The Escapist are officially calling Mass Effect 3 our community-picked Game of the Year 2012.

I think it's more akin to the fact that aside from the last ten minutes, Mass Effect 3 is a very excellent game that's almost flawless.

I wouldn't say that it's the DLC support, since people here don't seem to care much for the multiplayer, and the paid single player DLC has been overpriced each time ($35 USD for 4 or so hours of content? The hell?), not to mention that From Ashes was clearly cut from the game to sell as day one DLC, and that Omega wasn't that good.

I...
what? How is this possible?

Gah this isn't right, ME3 doesn't deserve that. The Walking Dead deserves it by miles.

Waaghpowa:
Huh, you'd think with all the ME3 whining, it would be lower. Personally I think The Walking Dead deserves it more.

As I suspected, it seems that the majority of people who liked/weren't bothered by Mass Effect 3 were perfectly happy to like it in silence.

I think that's a very respectable list over all.

I was seriously hoping that Borderlands 2 would be higher than that, but I'm okay with that.

A little surprised that Mass Effect 3 won, but seeing as how that game was talked about a lot around these parts I shouldn't be all that surprised. I really should play that series at some point.

I'm shocked that my choice (Spec Ops: The Line) was as highly placed as it was. Didn't think it would get anywhere near where it did =D

And while I would say that Mass Effect 3 is a worthy winner though (99% of the game was amazing), I'm also flabbergasted after all the...well, let's call it discussion. Maybe people realised that pretty much the whole game up until that point was absolutely stellar.

Sassafrass:
In before people accuse the site of being bought out by EA despite this being a community based vote.

Shame TWD didn't take it but it got second, which is just as good. Kinda.

It can't win every Game Of The Year award! It's just unfair! =P

Shame to see Black Ops II coming last, although I suppose being in the top 20 games of the year is an accomplishment in itself.

I voted Dishonered. Glad it was ranked that high.

Mass Effect 3 though? Wow. These forums called this game for murder after the ending. I guess it really is a silent majority.

I didn't see much of Mass Effect 3 being discussed nor getting love in the thread as we were voting for top game, I guess many just put aside their disliking of the ME3 ending and just wanted to show their love for the game overall. If it wasn't for that ending, ME3 would hold up on it's own quite well.

But I am honestly surprised, the majority voting for it after all this time especially with games like The Walking Dead coming up which is no surprise to me as why it won #2 place here. I am a good sport and will clap my hands for Mass Effect 3 for winning, but I fear we won't see peace in this thread for long.

Well deserved.

Fuck the haters, the game was phenomenal.

I consider this a victory since my vote of P4 Golden beat out Halo 4, AC 3, Blops 2, MoP, AND Diablo 3.

I'd say that's worthy of praise considering Persona is a comparatively lesser known series.

Eh, wish I had voted.

Again, ME3 was a good game. The end just sucked. I think if you were a hardcore fan, maybe the ending sucked enough to make you dislike the entire game, but maybe not. Nothing says you can't like the game if you disliked the ending.

I'm actually really impressed with how the community voted. CODBLOPS had .33% of the vote? Snazzy!

And 1.5% for Hotline Miami?

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

This.. can't end well.

Ah, well. I loved Mass Effect 3 down to the bitter bone of an ending.
The game was amazing, and well deserved of the title imo.

Caramel Frappe:
I didn't see much of Mass Effect 3 being discussed nor getting love in the thread as we were voting for top game, I guess many just put aside their disliking of the ME3 ending and just wanted to show their love for the game overall. If it wasn't for that ending, ME3 would hold up on it's own quite well.

But I am honestly surprised, the majority voting for it after all this time especially with games like The Walking Dead coming up which is no surprise to me as why it won #2 place here. I am a good sport and will clap my hands for Mass Effect 3 for winning, but I fear we won't see peace in this thread for long.

I agree, and I think the reason why people were so down on the end of ME3 was because of how good the rest of the game was. If ME3 was a bad game overall, the bad ending wouldn't have been the controversy. To vote bomb a good game because of the end is silly, especially in a community contest like this one.

Anyway, if there's going to be a flame war, it's because people are making the following goofy argument:

"ME3 won, so a majority was not bothered by the endings."

This argument is not really consistent, and so far every, "I didn't like the endings," post has generally discredited it. One's overall opinion of the game is not dictated by how one felt about one part of the game, i.e. the ending. I thought 99% of my ME3 experience was wonderful. I just really, really hated the ending.

I'd probably put Walking Dead as my #1 game of the year, with Journey coming in a close second and Persona 4 Golden third, but I can appreciate this list.

All five of those top five games were/are a lot of fun for me.

Waaghpowa:

I'd pretty much say that. Mass Effect 3 personally wasn't great, but if other's like it that's fair enough. However, I haven't even heard anyone put Mass Effect 3 as their game of the year.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here