Amazing Spider-Man Ends With Issue #700

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Rogue 09:
Wow... I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is kind of interesting. As a huge Spider-man fan, I've got to say that rehashing the same-old stories in slightly different ways (Yes, the Spider-man / Symbiote story was interesting the first time, but has gotten tiresome since with Toby McGuire leading the way of suck) is pretty old hat. If they've got a Doc Ock with some of Spider-man's morality, trying to live in his shoes... you've got yourself a pretty interesting story especially if it is to stay.

Money is the name of the game, which is why they keep bringing back Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan... but we're not really losing Spider-man, he was just technically replaced a little bit. Like if "The Last Son of Krypton" had completely replaced Superman after his death. Kind of interesting.

Plus... we've got all the other series to keep on watching pure Spider-man. Peter Parker will probably make an actual return, but if he does I would prefer a Clone storyline instead of a complete backup to where we were.

You know your right. One More Day was bad because it hit the rest button so hard it blew up in their face. This story line is taking spider-man in a new direction. New stories NEED to happen, even if they're bad they add something to character.

And lets ask the question why is this a bad idea. Because the mantle of spider-man is replaced? That isn't a bad thing, that is just a Thing. It has been done horridly (Knightfall, Jason Todd, and the Supergirl debacle) but it has been done well, (Blue Beetle, The Flash, and War Machine).

The bad spider-man series where bad not because of the premise, which is the only thing we know, but the execution. Clone saga dragged and One More Day was just written poorly. They easily could have been great with another rewrite or something. Superior sounds like an idea with some great potential, lets just give it a Goddamn chance.

So many things wrong with this...

The first thing is the 'Superior Spiderman'. Seriously, what idiot came up with that? The 'Fabulous Spider-man' sounds better, and hell, I'd probably read those. The 'Superior' part of this smacks a lot of Magneto and his view of Mutants and Mankind.

Secondly, when I saw the logo of the title, I couldn't help but think 'You could at least finishing the damn title!'. It is really depressing that htis got through QA.

Thirdly, the story-arc... C'mon guys! How many times are you going to pull the same thing? This is Ben Reilly all over again, speaking of which, where the hell is he?

*Shudder* I can see them trying to 'fix' this. Ben Reilly, who is probably dead, comes back, beats up the now evil Spidey and ta-da Peter is back.

I am torn between two desires... Buying popcorn for the 'Big Picture' episode on this, or crying the feotal position over the idiotic idea.

*Ahem*

COMICS. ARE. WEIIIIIIRD!

See, I see myself as a geek. But I cannot get into comic books for the life of me. With all the complicated stories, random p[lot twists, alternate dimensions, alter egos and death not really being an issue, I cannot become interested in a single comic book. How do I know what I'm reading is significant? How do I know it will be permanent? How do I know the writes won't pull a random p[lot twist? How do I know if this is considered the main plot without someone saying the opposite later on?

Hell, all I'm interested to know about Spidey is that he's peter Parker, he likes Mary Jane, he got superpowers and fights random super villains and he ends up marrying Mary Jane after all. Stacy and J. J. Jameson can come along too.
Basically, the story from the movies. The first trilogy. And yes, regardless of the movies' quality, I think the plot was easy to follow.
And now we're getting spin-offs of that too. *Sigh*

#flameshield

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Gorfias:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Seriously.

I'm having horrible flashbacks of when Spidy and Wolverine switched bodies, for some reason, and Wolverine was hitting on MJ.

*Shudders*

I got that beat regarding Spidey... how about the time he... naw. Nope. Shudder. That freaks me out too! I'd still love to read it. Wolverine with Spiderman's powers. Interesting.

It's kinda cool, but it's just super creepy and Wolverine was totally creeping on MJ.

And to think they had a good thing going after One More Day with Amazing Spiderman.

NOPE!

You think that's bad? The story he's referring to is an Ultimate Spider-Man story (it was done as a joke [they even said so at the start of all the issues that this story took place in], but it's still part of continuity, part of the joke being that it's played "relatively" straight), in this world Wolverine is just under a 100 years old and Mary Jane is 15. FUN.

Now that's almost as silly sounding as space magic.

And this is why I primarily read manga. Apparently Linkara's reaction is just pure apathy; OMD killed his interest so bad he just doesn't give a shit anymore. Though he also gives this change six months to a year. More than likely sales will tank so bad they're forced to return the status quo.

So Doctor Octopus is the new Spiderman? Who the hell came up with that idea? I would of preferred Venom taking full control then something stupid like this.

This doesn't sound like anything shocking, or even unusual to be honest. For anyone who doesn't know how ridiculous comics are look at the plot premise of "All Star Superman" (Which is adored by fans) and compare it to the premise of "Superior Spider-man". Then attempt to explain to me why one is gold and the other is ridiculous contrived shit.

All Star Superman plot summary = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Star_Superman

Its story lines like this that make me glad I only read the Ultimate Universe marvel comics.

Sure the Ultimate comics have their issues, but at least they don't have stuff as contrived as this!

The Ultimate universe is also home to the greatest comic book character of all time: Ultimate Aunt May. My reasoning can be summed up in them two greatest scenes in the entire run of the Ultimate Spider-Man, but sadly, on the series' darkest issues:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ronack:
"This is our answer to the age old question as to how we're going to make something worse than One More Day" said Dan Slott, the writer on Amazing Spider-Man.

There will be nothing as worse as One More Day.

Nothing.

OT: ...What?

The neighborhood friendly Spidy has been going through some really weird shit, hasn't he?

You think this is bad? You need to read more of the "X" series. Any one of them, X-Factor, X-Men, Exiles, New Mutants, Excalibur, Alpha Flight, X-Force, whatever. :D

I like it. In fact, I think I'll get the volumes leading up to this just so I can follow along once this takes off.

I think people are over-reacting because they remember One More Day too much. This sounds like an interesting idea, depending on where they go with it, and the title change is neat - Doc Ock always has had an ego thing, so him being the "Superior" Spider-Man makes sense. Can't wait to see what kinds of crazy stuff Ock gets up to.

Tanis:
This is what's going to happen:

Doc Spider will go through a sort of 'puberty'.
-5 issues

It will be revealed that Peter Spider is actually still INSIDE HIS OWN MIND. Think 'Stargate Gu'old' type of deal.
-10 issues

Over time Peter Spider will start retaking his own body/mind back from Doc Spider.
-10 issues

Doc Spider, having lived with a consensus for the first time in his life, will allow Peter Spider to take control.
-5 issues

After a few issues, and some emo bullshit, Peter Spider will get the help of some random hero/villain to clone Doc Spider into a new (cancer free) body.
-10 issues

The new Doc Oc will now be more like 'The Punisher' in that he's a good guy, with a dark edge.
-10 issues

After all this...
MARVEL REBOOT!
New DC 52 Style!

I would be entirely ok with that, someone make this what actually happens.

...and this is the face of comic books while interesting, original and ACTUALLY FINISHED stuff like Preacher gets overlooked. I think they made a mistake: this was supposed to be an April's fool but they got the date wrong. Plotlines like these sound like bad jokes when put on paper, but somehow there are writers and artists who take it seriously. Baffling

I am shocked, dear Escapists, SHOCKED...

...that NOBODY'S posted this as a response yet.

The whole thing just sounds like a publicity stunt to me. As others have mentioned, I'm sure it'll be retconned into oblivion and the status quo restored before long.

That plot summary sounds like weird (and stupid) fanfiction, so why did they think it's a good idea? Furthermore, why do people think you need to kill a hero to get their book to end? Just make them retire.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Ronack:
"This is our answer to the age old question as to how we're going to make something worse than One More Day" said Dan Slott, the writer on Amazing Spider-Man.

There will be nothing as worse as One More Day.

Nothing.

Peter Parker now has the mind of the man that once tried to get in the pants of Aunt May. It's worse than One More Day.

To be honest, I think it's stupid. But I don't think it's that bad.

If they just made this the 700th issue and continued with this plot point numbering it 701, I don't think it'd raise quite as much of a stink. We all know the status quo would be restored in time, so instead of the whole "This is the end of Spider-Man!" thing, this could have just been a fun (even if stupid) little story arc. Nothing besides the number and title is changing. There were no retcons, the book is keeping the same writer, and its going to continue on the plot point of the last issue. Superior Spider-Man #1 is Amazing Spider-Man #701 in everything but name.

An attempt at marketing trying to add an air of finality to this kinda has soured the whole idea before it even started. And what's more, it's going to make the inevitable return to the norm seem worse.

Overall, I thought Marvel NOW! was being handled much better than the New 52. It's a shame that it's first real screw-up was something like this.

As for the story itself: Meh. I'll wait for the trade when it eventually comes out.

I recon that Superboy Prime Punching Reality has left some open areas of utter Bullshit on the tapestry of reality, i cannot come up with another explanation how such a story could ever be conceived.

I mean its not the 60's where superman has jimmy olsen fight for a sip of water in a desert....

That... is strange, to say the least.

Heard some theories about a golden Octobot thingy which "vanished", people believe a digital Peter's in it?
I dunno, Tony Stark did somethin' similar during Stark Disassembled, "pre-Civil War Tony back-up",so it's plausible by Marvel standards.

I dunno what to feel, you know Peter willbe back, that's what the majority wants.
Well, everybody eventually, but sopme would like to see where this goes.

Me?
Seriously had Kaine in mind.

So does this mean we'll get an eight limbed spiderman?

((also, seems likely they'll come up with some cop out that with either render him exactly the same as old spiderman anyway, or old spiderman will get his body back more literally))

Beautiful End:
*Ahem*

COMICS. ARE. WEIIIIIIRD!

See, I see myself as a geek. But I cannot get into comic books for the life of me. With all the complicated stories, random p[lot twists, alternate dimensions, alter egos and death not really being an issue

there are alot of self containted comic books seris that are *shock horror* not superhero related

I cannot become interested in a single comic book. How do I know what I'm reading is significant?

everyone talks about it in online circles

How do I know it will be permanent?

it wont be....it never is

How do I know the writes won't pull a random p[lot twist? How do I know if this is considered the main plot without someone saying the opposite later on?

best way is to find some good story arcs and keep wikipedia on stand by if yu want to read super heros...then mabye start reading issues

saintdane05:

iniudan:
I am so waiting to see Linkara and Bob reaction to that. =p

Linkara already did. He said that he gives it six months.

Can you pinpoint where he said it, for I do look at his show regularly and tend to have a good memory for these kind of thing normally, so would just like to watch what I missed. (Or hopefully not a show that age starting to affect my memory =p)

iniudan:

saintdane05:

iniudan:
I am so waiting to see Linkara and Bob reaction to that. =p

Can you pinpoint where he said it, for I do look at his show regularly and tend to have a good memory for these kind of thing normally, so would just like to watch what I missed. (Or hopefully not a show that age starting to affect my memory =p)

Here ya go.
Around the middle.

saintdane05:

iniudan:

saintdane05:

Here ya go.

Around the middle.

Thank, on his twitter, normal I missed it. =)

The ultimate set up for a great Marvel/Image crossover since Peter Parker will be the next Spawn.

Sorry, but the whole thing sounds so dumb. It seems even more worse than the clone saga.

not a big comic book guy, but my friend is, and i have had to put up with him going on about how this is such a travesty, as according to him this is marvel condoning rape, due to the whole new spiderman/octopusguy being sympathetic whilst also doing the original guys girlfriend. as i dont really know that much i aint bothered, but you can just see it now cant you, forums filled with spider rapist threads and comic book misogyny.

I have nearly no knowledge of comics, but this sounds bloody hilarious. I can't wait to see what Bob has to say.

I don't get why people get so upset about this. Much like, say, the death of Captain America or Dick Grayson as Batman this kind of thing would NEVER stick (although I really liked the latter...). That's just how comics work. If anything, this is the first time in over a year I've been interested in starting reading spider-man again.

To be the voice of Devil's Advocate here... (no Mephisto pun intended) Take it as a grain of salt and see where it goes. The Spidey series has become stagnant over the years, and maybe having a tragic character as Doc Ock (I've seen him that way) become Spidey may be an interesting twist to a series I found to have made its run years and years ago.
And of course, the real Spidey may not die anyway, and get his body back so... don't fret just yet.

This has got to be the worst idea I have ever heard. I say it'll take five years for them to figure out what a mistake this was and another three to eventual put the status quo back where it was. The black Peter Parker was a better idea, honestly. I'm not much for changing the race of established characters like that. It's seems more racist than only having white characters. But killing the character and replacing him, mentally, with a long-standing villain and then soldiering on with this character in a poorly-named series is just incredibly stupid.

But then, comics are pretty much dead, anyway. So I guess they can do what they want.

Soooo. About 10 issues until Peter's consciousness completely eradicates any trace of Doc Oc and we get back to the status quo?

So... Will the inevitable Parker resurrection take fifty issues? Or more like 20?

JonB:
The book's ending has opened up a flood of criticism from fans, but Slott remains optimistic. "How do you get more Peter Parker than that? Now the readers think he's a menace. That's exciting. On a meta-level, that is Spider-Man."

I love it when people throw around "metalevel" like it has whatever precise definition fell out of their ear that morning. (In this case: "Exactly the same but bigger." I think.) It neatly ignores two relevant points:

1) If characters hate the main character, they fight against him. Conflict is the root of all good narrative, and being seen as a menace is Spidey's bread and butter.
2) If readers hate the main character, they stop hanging around with him (read: spending money on seeing his adventures). Being seen as not worth reading means no more bread for the writers.

That "meta" enough for you?

What? Spider-Man's still going on? I thought it ended with Amazing #500.

(Shut up, let me have my delusions.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or