Kinect Will React to Swearing at Dead Space 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Cognimancer:
"We actually have some commands that people will need to figure out,"

Welcome to Bad Design 101. Here we have an example of something to NOT do.

They should just make it so the thing registers a swear as a correct input to a QTE but it then has a cooldown of about 10 seconds so you can't swear your way to game completion, however hilarious that would be.

But to make some commands REQUIRE the player to scream at the game? That's just TERRIBLE design. Then again, most of these new motion/voice activated functions get shoe-horned in, the designers are told to make use of it by the producers because the marketing department convinced the producers it would result in more sales. Talking about the tail wagging the dog.

I cuss when I am absolutely frustrated, not when I get a shock. If I reach that point playing a game, that means one of two things: Multiplayer, or the developers made a shit game.

I don't see how this will work here. If I have to say something because the game requires it, and I can't get by without exhausting every other option, I'd feel like a tool.

Is this really the best use of the developers time? Making a system that makes it a requirement for you to swear loudly at the Kinect?

Hi this is Drift0r and welcome to Dead Space 3 In Depth, today we are looking at the "turdmonkey" insult, turdmonkey grants .287 seconds reaction time to bosses with a range of of 12 feet from the kinect, what that means to you is that you don't need to type "turdmonkey" using your controller.

I hope you learned something useful.

Drift0r out

This is really childish.

I guess they've been brainstorming ways they could outdo "Your mom hates Dead Space".

Mission accomplished, I guess.

Cheat codes for Yahtzee... how nice of them!

This coming from the same guys who tried to run the ad campaign about how "Your Mom Hate's Dead Space 2"
I can honestly say I'm not surprised with what they'll do to push people's buttons.

No matter how terrible of an idea this may or may not be, it does mean that there is a slim chance I will now have an opportunity I could previously only dream of: Beating a game by doing nothing but properly timed swearing.

"it might behave in a way that you want it to" should be the new tagline for Kinect.

Glad to see my peers have already made the "Xbox lives is gunna LOOOOOOOOVVVVEEE THIS!" Jokes....
...But this does mean I can't makethem myself. :/
And also if they don't have a voice command activated by saying "Oh BUGGER." That makes Issac flip the V's full on british style, I will be very sad.

So if I shout for EA to go fuck itself, it will?
I do not want to be in a game where I shout out " You can go suck my dick!!!!" And have a necromorph come at me with a huge grin across it's "face".

Issac :"will you lot just fuck off!!!"
Necromorphs :...Have shall we fuck off oh lord!?!"

But the better question is, will the kinect react to me swearing at my grandma?

Face it adults use adult language and being a construction worker I may have to begin this game on EXPERT.

If you can't turn that off, a lot of people are gonna be pissed.

It should be a horror metric if anything, not some cheap way to help you out. It could be interesting if it remember that that scared you, so it used a similar tactic again later. But having it do something for me would piss me off.

Would be interesting if your swears would just be a trigger for the player character to shoot randomly.

This is the silliest gimmick.

MORE.

What if i swear in a different language? Oh, no, i don't swear while playing video games, kinect still useless.

Abandon4093:
If you can't turn that off, a lot of people are gonna be pissed.

It should be a horror metric if anything, not some cheap way to help you out. It could be interesting if it remember that that scared you, so it used a similar tactic again later. But having it do something for me would piss me off.

Why aren't Visceral listening to this guy?

OT: I don't take the 'high and mighty' stance to swearing, like most on this forum seem to, but Visceral really do seem to want to turn Dead Space from a decentish horror series, to a frat boy experience. I'll reserve judgement until I can play the game, but I'm kind of put-off by the game Visceral seem to be building.

Now see, i'm gonna be the minority and actually say this was a pretty good idea. If the Kinect can accurately decipher certain swears to get things to work, it could've helped add some depth to some of those "scary" moments like in a suspenseful movie or book. Y'know the scenes; the protagonist or supporting character (whatever) is in an immediate position of danger, starts screaming obscenities (or just plain screaming) as the danger gets closer and BAM! Dues Ex'd right out of danger in the very last second.

I feel it would've added a good amount of pacing to the game without it feeling too scripted like the last 2 games tended to. Key word: "Could've". Unfortunately, this isn't gonna work now, because they told people about it. Now a good majority of gamers are gonna cheat through the game by simply yelling "fucknuggets!" at the TV whenever they're in trouble....

Dogstile:

gardian06:
So. who else opened this story thinking that it would be the exact opposite. you know actually punishing players for swearing at their games/other players, but no.

this game is rewarding people for swearing, and by nature reinforcing that it is ok, and I can just see it when even the less conservative media gets a hold of this. "games might not cause violence, but they do reward swearing" granted I can see where the game is already rated M, but seriously.

Who cares? The people who will jump on this will always find things to bitch about and this actually sounds amusing enough for me to want to borrow my sisters kinect for a bit and see what it's like (disconnecting from xbox live first though, creepy shit in that agreement).

Lets not pander to the people who won't be happy with the game unless you remove all traces of violence and bad language from it please.

Alexnader:

gardian06:
So. who else opened this story thinking that it would be the exact opposite. you know actually punishing players for swearing at their games/other players, but no.

this game is rewarding people for swearing, and by nature reinforcing that it is ok, and I can just see it when even the less conservative media gets a hold of this. "games might not cause violence, but they do reward swearing" granted I can see where the game is already rated M, but seriously.

Yes, cussing is clearly the worst thing in Dead Space. Everything else is sunshine and rainbows compared to the game incidentally reacting to the player saying the word 'shit'. Wasn't there a necromorph that could kill you by barfing into your mouth which caused you to puke your guts out and die?

Dead Space has never struck me as a particularly circumspect and subtle franchise, at least they're using the kinect for something interesting.

alright you can make a claim that is immersive and such... the first couple of times when you first find it "we will put these voice commands in, and not tell the players what they are" so as soon as you figure them out (or someone posts them somewhere) its just like

now it is not cool, or immersive it is just lame. basically as soon as you learn that the words "shit", "damn", or "fuck" cause your character to throw off the enemy, and maybe even one shot them you will be saying them even if it doesn't happen to scare you. an immersive action is one that should come as second nature, but not feel like you are just going through the motions. this just feels like it will be cool the first time, and then the lamest piece of shit mechanic every time thereafter as "remember to say expletiveA when something grabs you" that is not innovative, or even close to emergent that is just giving me a different press X to not die, but forcing me to remember a word instead of a button, but not telling me about what it is (this is the only part that even comes close to emergent, but fails as soon as you figure it out).

so in the end what this boils down to is either "we replaces press X to not die with Say X to not die", or "we are encouraging/rewarding people to say certain expletives at their video games" and both are just an additional negative to the game on top of "5 Million plus sale to continue viability", and "adding Co-op to increase broad appeal" not to mention making the game look surprising like Lost Planet (just without the mechs)

gardian06:

Yeah, exactly. I had thought that swearing or yelling out at a suddenly appearing monster would translate into, say, the character reacting shocked/scared as well, meaning that your aim would be off, you would stumble and so on. Since when is a loss of self-control in a life-or-death situation a good thing?

I don't care about the game "promoting" cussing or anything like that, but from a gameplay point of view, the opposite would make more sense regardless.

This is puzzling.
Okay so saying fuck a lot makes isaac stronger and breaks grabs...?
Seems pretty pointless. I don't wanna have to yell at my tv.

gardian06:

Dogstile:

gardian06:

Who cares? The people who will jump on this will always find things to bitch about and this actually sounds amusing enough for me to want to borrow my sisters kinect for a bit and see what it's like (disconnecting from xbox live first though, creepy shit in that agreement).

Lets not pander to the people who won't be happy with the game unless you remove all traces of violence and bad language from it please.

Alexnader:

gardian06:

Yes, cussing is clearly the worst thing in Dead Space. Everything else is sunshine and rainbows compared to the game incidentally reacting to the player saying the word 'shit'. Wasn't there a necromorph that could kill you by barfing into your mouth which caused you to puke your guts out and die?

Dead Space has never struck me as a particularly circumspect and subtle franchise, at least they're using the kinect for something interesting.

alright you can make a claim that is immersive and such... the first couple of times when you first find it "we will put these voice commands in, and not tell the players what they are" so as soon as you figure them out (or someone posts them somewhere) its just like

now it is not cool, or immersive it is just lame. basically as soon as you learn that the words "shit", "damn", or "fuck" cause your character to throw off the enemy, and maybe even one shot them you will be saying them even if it doesn't happen to scare you. an immersive action is one that should come as second nature, but not feel like you are just going through the motions. this just feels like it will be cool the first time, and then the lamest piece of shit mechanic every time thereafter as "remember to say expletiveA when something grabs you" that is not innovative, or even close to emergent that is just giving me a different press X to not die, but forcing me to remember a word instead of a button, but not telling me about what it is (this is the only part that even comes close to emergent, but fails as soon as you figure it out).

so in the end what this boils down to is either "we replaces press X to not die with Say X to not die", or "we are encouraging/rewarding people to say certain expletives at their video games" and both are just an additional negative to the game on top of "5 Million plus sale to continue viability", and "adding Co-op to increase broad appeal" not to mention making the game look surprising like Lost Planet (just without the mechs)

We erm, didn't say anything about it being immersive. Hell, we didn't even say it was cool. Don't pull arguments out of your ass and don't try and swing it in a different direction. Tell me exactly what is bad about a game, known for its gore, violence and over the top weaponry reacting when you swear?

Using voice commands isn't amazingly innovative, no. But just because it isn't innovative doesn't mean it isn't a bad mechanic. Is it a bad mechanic to have to pull the right trigger to shoot? Is it a bad mechanic that X is pickup item in nearly every xbox game that has pickups? Of course not.

Oh, final point on the co-op? What's so bad about a drop in co-op that doesn't affect the story in any way? The character you'd be co-oping the game with won't be in the game if you're alone. Do you people hate choice and options or something? We don't have enough decent co-op games as it is, nothing wrong with taking a game that people already scoff at for being "scary", being aware of it and adding in this mechanic.

The five million sales thing is dumb, but that's not a thing against the game, that's the company being stupid. Separate the two. A shitty publisher does not mean the game itself is shitty.

E: Actually, i'll put this in bold.

Why are you focusing on the swearing, when even in the news story, you can use the voice commands that aren't swears for helpful actions. Read the fucking post.

The problem with this system is that I rarely swear using regular swears when startled. When I get startled, I usually don't go "fuck" or "shit" or any similar words. What comes out of my mouth more often sounds like "fuumbmlasdlfhaaaahhh!!!"

I wonder if the Kinect would be able to recognize that...

nexus:
I heard rumors about the next Xbox (720, NeXt or whatever they're calling it) having Kinect built in, and being a straight up requirement for most activities. Meaning it will be on at all times.

I hope not. I play games to relex, i really dont want to be forced to jump and wave and other pointless actions when a simple press of a button does the same job. If this is the case and your right i guess the 360 will be the last console i buy.

OT Kinect and swearing? Pointless gimmick. There really is no need for it and how many parents will allow there kid to swear or how many parents would be happy to swear at a console with kids in the house?

so let me get this straight, if this turns out like they claimed.....

Oh sh*t = dash backwards
F*ck = nade spam
fck,fck,fck,fck,fck = super sprint
mother of gawd!! = switch to heavy weapon
Nooooo! = dash sideways
no no no no no no no!!! = switch to crowd controll weapon
what the hell? = open minimap
oh sh*t, get it off, get it off!!! = quicktime event button

This is gonna be fun...

FelixG:

Grouchy Imp:

Cognimancer:
Let's just hope that this particular feature doesn't find its way to competitive multiplayer games; Xbox Live really doesn't need the encouragement.

What the fuck are you talking about you fucking arsehole? You wanna give me shit, you little twat, and I'm gonna come over there and shove your fucking controller up your n00b faggot arse!

*Signs out of Xbox Live*

I'm not entirely sure I follow you, old chap. If we have a disagreement, perhaps some form of conflict resolution can be achieved to our mutual satisfaction?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

that would be BRILLIANT!

Have the Kinect as part of an auto report system, if it detects you yelling obscenities more than three times while playing a game online while the mic is transmitting, it auto bans the player!

I approve of this idea.

Not quite what I was driving at, unfortunately. I was merely giving a connected vs disconnected comparison of a single sentiment.

Although, some form of automated system could be used now that you've given me the idea. Y'know those stupid voice changer programs you can download from the Marketplace, well what about a Middle Class translator unit? One player is yelling obscenities into their mic, but all the other players can hear are polite inquiries into the state of their mothers' health.

Kinda like this:

(Translations start around the 1:20 mark)

But for use on offensive language not as well as indecipherable slang.

FelixG:

that would be BRILLIANT!

Have the Kinect as part of an auto report system, if it detects you yelling obscenities more than three times while playing a game online while the mic is transmitting, it auto bans the player!

I approve of this idea.

Except there is a mute feature. It's like when people complain about profanity in LoL when the profanity filter is set to be defaulted as on.

You don't want to hear it/read it, there's a system in place to stop you from having to.

If something goes poorly and I want to mutter 'fuck' I can.

Abomination:

Cognimancer:

They should just make it so the thing registers a swear as a correct input to a QTE but it then has a cooldown of about 10 seconds so you can't swear your way to game completion, however hilarious that would be.

But to make some commands REQUIRE the player to scream at the game? That's just TERRIBLE design. Then again, most of these new motion/voice activated functions get shoe-horned in, the designers are told to make use of it by the producers because the marketing department convinced the producers it would result in more sales. Talking about the tail wagging the dog.

Except it's seemingly stuff that can be done otherwise, this is just a shortcut. It's like secrets in the games of old. You have to figure out where they are, but it's not like they're required for you to play.

Hmmm, I swear with phrases like "Bollocks" will that work?

Interesting idea, even though it's just going to drum up media bile. I would be nice if it draw enemies to the swearing as it probably would in reality. If you shout anything, it'll draw attention towards you from a good distance. Though it would be cool to see done in general, if can read correctly. I want to see implemented in Call of duty. Yell loud enough, you appear in the radar.

Man if they had they this Doom 3...

I`ve caught myself swearing in other laungages i don't even know becuase of that game

Judging by what I've seen of Dead Space 3, the only swearing I'd be likely to do would be along the lines of "Man, this game fucking sucks!"
That is, if I had any intention of playing it.

I have to wonder, who swears when they get startled? Sure, you might go "eep!", or maybe "GAAH!", or something, but swearing?

Although this could potentially lead to some interesting functions. I wonder how the game will react if I begin to scream like a little girl, or toss a pillow at it...

Frostbite3789:

Abomination:

Cognimancer:

Except it's seemingly stuff that can be done otherwise, this is just a shortcut. It's like secrets in the games of old. You have to figure out where they are, but it's not like they're required for you to play.

What's the point of making use of new hardware without actually letting the player know how it's supposed to be incorporated?

"Look at this new immersive Kinect stuff! It is going to make the game so much better! But we won't tell you how!" I've heard this line before and it turns out there never WAS the supposed secret function. There's enough smoke and mirrors in game design and marketing, why intentionally add some and expect people to be THANKFUL for it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here