Kinect Will React to Swearing at Dead Space 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3

gardian06:

this game is rewarding people for swearing, and by nature reinforcing that it is ok, and I can just see it when even the less conservative media gets a hold of this. "games might not cause violence, but they do reward swearing" granted I can see where the game is already rated M, but seriously.

Remember "Your mom hates Dead Space"?
Yeah. I'm worried that what you described is the point of this.

FelixG:

Grouchy Imp:

Cognimancer:
Let's just hope that this particular feature doesn't find its way to competitive multiplayer games; Xbox Live really doesn't need the encouragement.

What the fuck are you talking about you fucking arsehole? You wanna give me shit, you little twat, and I'm gonna come over there and shove your fucking controller up your n00b faggot arse!

*Signs out of Xbox Live*

I'm not entirely sure I follow you, old chap. If we have a disagreement, perhaps some form of conflict resolution can be achieved to our mutual satisfaction?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

that would be BRILLIANT!

Have the Kinect as part of an auto report system, if it detects you yelling obscenities more than three times while playing a game online while the mic is transmitting, it auto bans the player!

I approve of this idea.

Great, maybe we could also install a CCTV camera in there and call it HAL for good measure.

ResonanceSD:

FelixG:

Grouchy Imp:

What the fuck are you talking about you fucking arsehole? You wanna give me shit, you little twat, and I'm gonna come over there and shove your fucking controller up your n00b faggot arse!

*Signs out of Xbox Live*

I'm not entirely sure I follow you, old chap. If we have a disagreement, perhaps some form of conflict resolution can be achieved to our mutual satisfaction?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

that would be BRILLIANT!

Have the Kinect as part of an auto report system, if it detects you yelling obscenities more than three times while playing a game online while the mic is transmitting, it auto bans the player!

I approve of this idea.

Great, maybe we could also install a CCTV camera in there and call it HAL for good measure.

My phone and my desktop already act like HAL, I am not opposed to my console doing the same.

Granted both my phone and desktop have far more processing power than my console /rimshot

GAMERMOUTH =/= Better game

this we learned many times over... however, this piece of tech SHOULD not be ignored...
takes picture/film the players+screenshot when he/she starts to faul mouth, for capturing the golden moments of shock/frustration/scared moments!~ and posting them online (at user's will) to make a giant cloud(scared) images!~ just like that one haunted house flash game from a while ago that takes pic of players at end game...

Cognimancer:

We've all been there: it's late at night, you're sitting in the dark playing a terrifying horror game, and suddenly something startles you. You need to act fast! It's fight or flight! But for some reason, you're paralyzed - except for the part of your brain that stores swear words. Instead of taking some reasonable action, you spout off a stream of obscenities in a panic.

never happened. i swear a lot but never because a game scared me. i would applaud such a game. besides, for Dead Space 3 thats not even a possibility.

"But there are commands where you might be in a certain situation and you might yell a specific expletive and it might behave in a way that you want it to."

you fail to do something, you yell "fuck", the game misinterprets and then *OMG HOW CAN I UNSEE IT*.

CardinalPiggles:

Malfy:
I wonder what happens when you say "fuck this shitty game". Does the game freeze until you apologize to it?

Or maybe it bans you for talking shit about EA?

Knowing EA forums, thats a possibility.

saying this is horrifying.... AHAHAHAH hilarious!

No, this game isn't scary, it's got cheap and predictable jumpscares... never got frightened of 2 and you expect me to be frightened of 3? give me a break...

"But there are commands where you might be in a certain situation and you might yell a specific expletive and it might behave in a way that you want it to."

Wow, this has to be among the vaguest features I've understood nothing about. I'm going to buy this game now based on this. Hahahaha, no not really, but I fooled everyone for a minute there :-) This game will be one for the bargain bin.

Apparently every time you yawn it replaces a horror element of the game with an explosion.

>=)

Cognimancer:

Only three 'mights'... Looks like Kinnect's improving.

maddawg IAJI:
And with this, I've all, but completely lost interest in the Dead Space franchise. Which is a shame seeing as how I loved the first game and enjoyed the second game.

. ... *nods painfully, but agrees*

OT: What has become of my Dead Space franchise? It used to be something more, to be taken seriously. Before you get on me about that- indeed the scare factor was slim if not that scary .. but, it was still an incredible game with great atmosphere and makes you tense every part of the game itself. It was bad enough hearing Dead Space 3 having co-op, but ... it's going to also include a voice command on Kinect that if you swear, it'll bring you good fortune in bad situations.

Swearing? What about if you got so startled or spooked, you weren't able to speak? Or the fact some of us have morals not to curse? Well one can say that we do not need to use the kinect then and not worry- but that's the problem. Why would the developer encourage people to cuss out loud in a game like this? I can see he wants to make it fun- but ... for us fans, this is fan service gone wrong. I would of been much happier with an option to turn off co-op or to have something else like survival mode. Besides, if this game doesn't sell over 50,000 copies then EA is pulling the plug and my beloved series will truly be dead.

nexus:
I heard rumors about the next Xbox (720, NeXt or whatever they're calling it) having Kinect built in, and being a straight up requirement for most activities. Meaning it will be on at all times.

Yea, that's cool. Why not have a Video Camera and Microphone powered on at all times in your family's living room, connected to the internet. What could go wrong.

Just think of how a conspiracy theorist would react.

OT: Well, this is... different. And sad, really. But hey, this is EA we're talkin' about, right?

/sigh More Fail from EA trying hard to make the world a sh_tier place? Yes, yes it is.

Remember, the more copies these people sell, the more you enablers reward them for it. For gamers, for all mankind, don't support EA.

So, I swear like a fucking sailor. And this sounds funny as hell. Dead Space always came across as kind of a goofy franchise, more like a silly slasher flick rather than Ringu or something like that, so I think this kind of thing makes sense. I wish this was implemented into more games. However, it should be based more on reactions than legitimate "commands".

SecretImbecile:
Apparently every time you yawn it replaces a horror element of the game with an explosion.

>=)

So Micheal Bay is behind the voice commands?

OT: Meh, this seems like a silly gimmick to me. I don't really see the point except to get some strange advertising... oh wait this is an Visceral game, they always have strange marketing.

Notsomuch:
I've haven't actually sworn out loud when being startled before. I never got that. I do think there's comedy factor to the idea of players getting random or set unfavorable effects stacked on them for swearing out loud in multiplayer.

Agreed, The game is going to ignore all those raised NOT to swear. At least I was not going to play this game to begin with.

lithiumvocals:
So, I swear like a fucking sailor.

I am a fucking sailor! Always good to have that excuse... better since my parents dragged me up taking part in the sport!!!

rhizhim:
it"would you kindly keep your distance and discontinue your attacks on me, please?"

I like the classic "Go far away and fornicate!" personally!

Annoying to be ninja'd by the last line of the article though!! The majority of Live users really won't need to think twice (or, indeed, at all) about using these types of controls!!!

nexus:
I heard rumors about the next Xbox (720, NeXt or whatever they're calling it) having Kinect built in, and being a straight up requirement for most activities. Meaning it will be on at all times.

yes, now lets players need to fap in order to place their points in the skills tree...

Remus:
Next on CNN:
Many high school kids are now being forced to see a psychologist by their parents when they were overheard swearing repeatedly at their Kinect. Next up is a panel discussion between myself, a leading expert on violence and videogames, and a priest.

Gotta give the 20 soccer moms who still watch CNN something to be upset about.

I thought this was a neat idea, but now that I've given it some thought, I don't like it. Swearing in this circumstance means you're panicking, you've forgotten the controls and your fingers are sweeping across the controller in a desperate attempt to save yourself. That's part of the fun, and part of the challenge.

There's just one problem... Dead Space isn't a terrifying horror series that makes you want to scream... Unless that screaming is about how shit it is...

Best way to use this? Make a callback to the foamfinger in Dead Space 2, and let you fire it by going "bang bang bang" and "pew pew pew".

Make it happen people.

Three things.
1) Dead Space 3 doesn't look all that frightening.
2) Won't this just make people swear on purpose more just to use these? Even when they're not scared they'll be swearing. Lol, this time the media will technically be right when they say that games are having a bad impact on kids.
3) Let's hope they never add this to CoD. Those swear commands will be going on all over the place!

Say it with me, everyone.

G-I-M-M-I-C-K!

Stop demoing the tech, INTEGRATE IT! Otherwise, fuck off with this unusable piece of garbage!

*groan*

Great.... let's give the media another reason to hate gaming.

PhiMed:
First this,

Now swearing at the screen as part of the game. Goody.

... Now the creators and marketing department are just wallowing around in extra chromosomes.

LOL

Fox News: "This just in: scientists have discovered a 20,000% increase in swearing due to Dead Space 3 for kinect. We'll tell why this video game is ruining your child's life and possibly yours too. More at 11"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGHcFfqZl34

When I'm startled I generally tend to shout things like 'Jesus Christ', but I can't imagine the game summoning a messiah to help me dispatch Necromorphs whenever I do so.

It'll be interesting to see a tech demo to see if this function does in fact... function. I think it could be a fun little addition to the game, but it should be optional, as it could run the risk of being intrusive or even game-breaking if it picks up all that is said.

I don't swear when startled.
I only do so when frustrated.

I just hope that this feature will be implemented in the PC version as well. After all, it makes sense. There are more PC users that have microphones (because, you know, you can use that thing for something other than gimmicky casual games) than there are Xbox users that have a Kinect. Plus, I'd really love to see more games that have some sort of voice controls. The only recent thing I know of is that one mod for Skyrim.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here