Minecraft Scores 453,000 Sales on Christmas Eve

Minecraft Scores 453,000 Sales on Christmas Eve

Mojang's cult-classic-turned-mainstream-hit just keeps selling.

Minecraft has been around for a while now, and with versions popping up for everything from XBLA to smartphones, you might think just about everyone already owns one version or another. Not so, according to creator Markus Persson, aka "Notch." In a recent tweet, Perrson revealed that a whopping 453,000 copies of the game were sold on December 24 alone.

Half a million copies of a game isn't a particularly mind-blowing number, at least when it comes to new titles, but Minecraft isn't exactly fresh on the gaming scene. Details regarding which platforms were the top sellers during the holiday hot streak weren't offered, so it's impossible to pinpoint where the bulk of the sales came from.

According to the official website, a total of 8,714,254 people have purchased the PC version of the game, with over 17,000 of those sales coming in the last 24 hours. Recently, developer Mojang revealed that the pocket edition for iOS and Android devices passed 5 million sales on its own, showing that love for the blocky building adventure isn't slowing down.

Source: Twitter via Gamespot

There were 453,000 people who STILL hadn't downloaded Minecraft?

Most worthwhile $20 you can spend in gaming, really. I don't play it all that often, but I've probably put a few hundred hours into it in the last 2 years or since I started playing - I forget when exactly - around the time of Pistons.

Go buy it.

I guest Notch is going to have to hope we discover intelligent life in the universe soon, otherwise he's going to run out of people to sell minecraft at this rate.

DVS BSTrD:

I a person who hasn't downloaded it...mainly because I know I'd get addicted to it and it would distract me from school. XD

I really should get around to playing it eventually. Just gotta make sure I play the PC version and not the 360 one.

Feed The Beast...you will never have such an appreciation for how modern infrastructure is so well-run. #peatypeats

Wow, with that much cash Mojang could afford to go into AAA development - though they're probably better off sticking to what they know.

Need a last-minute Christmas gift, but it's literally the last minute?
Why not Minecraft!

I'm actually surprised its still going. I personally love minecraft as my game of all time, but after a while it gets tiring to play. well, I guess the modding community IS what keeps most going.

omicron1:
Need a last-minute Christmas gift, but it's literally the last minute?
Why not Minecraft!

nope, if you need a last minute christmas gift, get them a brick!

It has so many uses!

And it keeps on selling and selling and selling. Makes me wonder how much Notch has made profit rfrom it.
But yeah, it`s a fun game, and the more people buy it, the merrier, i guess!

The Artificially Prolonged:
I guest Notch is going to have to hope we discover intelligent life in the universe soon, otherwise he's going to run out of people to sell minecraft at this rate.

Neronium:

DVS BSTrD:

I a person who hasn't downloaded it...mainly because I know I'd get addicted to it and it would distract me from school. XD

I really should get around to playing it eventually. Just gotta make sure I play the PC version and not the 360 one.

Yeah, I flunked an entire quarter of college just to be able to finish my skull fortress.... (That's actually not a joke)

Retook it the next quarter ended with a 92%. Now I stay away from Minecraft when school is in and have a 3.8 GPA. Imagine where I'd be if I hadn't spent a quarter on WoW and a quarter on Minecraft.....

DVS BSTrD:

Actually I contributed to this because I needed a second account for my laptop. Now I can minecraft while I minecraft!

I can't help but feel frustrated by this. Minecraft is still selling like hotcakes, and it's still being developed at the pace of a fucking snail. Reinvest, Notch.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here