Teens Sedate Parents For Net Access

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Teens Sedate Parents For Net Access

"If they were adults, they could be facing prison time," says a police spokesman.

Two California girls have been accused of slipping the parents of one of them a sleep-shake, so that the teens could have unrestricted access to the internet. The girls - aged 15 and 16 - have been arrested, and charged with conspiracy and mingling a pharmaceutical with food.

They did it to get around a 10pm curfew on internet access, according to one of the girls, who complained that her parents' attitude to the internet was "too strict." The elder of the two, visiting on a sleepover, provided the sleep aids, and between them they managed to trick the parents into drinking the medication, hidden in a milk shake.

When the parents awoke the next morning, suffering from a very peculiar hangover, they immediately smelt a rat. One drug test later - helpfully provided by the police via a $5 test kit - they had all the proof they needed.

"The girls wanted to use the Internet, and they'd go to whatever means they had to," said a police department spokesman, adding that he'd never encountered anything like this case before. Ultimately it would be up to the District Attorney as to whether the two accused would actually face charges.

"If they were adults, they could be facing prison time," the police spokesman said.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Girls using roofies, how progressive!
The parents should be glad the kids fixed them a health drink: those were very pro-teen shakes.

I guess now the girls made their point of how MATURE they are and how SAFE it is to let them roam around the internet. Of course, next step they learn in the internet how to build a bomb, and use it on the boy they had a crush on but didn't like them.

DVS BSTrD:
Girls using roofies, how progressive!
The parents should be glad the kids fixed them a health drink: those were very pro-teen shakes.

~ba dum tss

----------------------
In Soviet -- ah too easy...

Also

So no word on what they were doing on the internet during all of this? Cause that information could easily lead to something more serious or way more lulzy.

They...tricked the parents into drinking sleeping aids? Is this a kids film or something?

There is a huge mess behind this story. Parents who need the police to intervene? :(

Milanezi:
I guess now the girls made their point of how MATURE they are and how SAFE it is to let them roam around the internet.

Look at it the other way: Their parents treated them like small children, and it made them act like small children, what a surprise...

Blablahb:
Look at it the other way: Their parents treated them like small children, and it made them act like small children, what a surprise...

Hard to judge in this case, for all we know, the girl's in question may have had an issue with stay up to late on the internet, which in turn affected their studies. Really all we have here are the facts in front of us, and seeing as restricting internet times isn't exactly torture, I'd say the girl's reaction was a bit extreme...

They should face jail time regardless. Drugging someone standing between you and something you want because you can't just wait until the morning is not the mark of a well adjusted individual.

Blablahb:

Milanezi:
I guess now the girls made their point of how MATURE they are and how SAFE it is to let them roam around the internet.

You think that an acceptable response to a curfew (And 10PM is very generous) is to drug the authority figure so you have free reign?

Am I the only one who originally thought the parents would find out through a Facebook status update saying, "Drugged my parents, no internet curfew tonight!! YOLO lol!!" or something of the sort?

Anywho, I fear for what those teens may see as reasonable courses of action when it comes to future "obstacles"...

TheGroovyMule:
seeing as restricting internet times isn't exactly torture, I'd say the girl's reaction was a bit extreme...

what?! not being allowed on the internet isn't torture? Heathen!

Kopikatsu:
They should face jail time regardless. Drugging someone standing between you and something you want because you can't just wait until the morning is not the mark of a well adjusted individual.

Blablahb:

Milanezi:

You think that an acceptable response to a curfew (And 10PM is very generous) is to drug the authority figure so you have free reign?

No no no No no no you are correct drugging the authority figure so you have free reign is not an acceptable response, hacking into your parents computer and playing rickroll non stop in-till you drive them to madness is the way to go :P

Considering the fact the parent called the police instead of being a responsible parent and discipling the children good on the kids. The parent sounds kinda shitty from the way they've acted.

Blablahb:

Milanezi:

That isn't acceptable. The kids should be in Juvie for at least a few months. This shouldn't be acceptable at any age (unless you are 8 years old, have no idea what pills are and were pretending to be an "alchemist"). At 15/16, you should know full well what you are doing.

Man that is some messed up shit... Teenagers are so pathetic these days.

Kopikatsu:

Blablahb:

Milanezi:

Thanks Kopikatsu, I won't need to reply to Blablahd now :)

Froggy Slayer:
They...tricked the parents into drinking sleeping aids? Is this a kids film or something?

Sounds like Home Alone meets Tron or something.

I can't really be upset or appalled by this as it's just another way of kids trying to skirt the rules to get what they want.

Baldry:
Considering the fact the parent called the police instead of being a responsible parent and discipling the children good on the kids. The parent sounds kinda shitty from the way they've acted.

I wouldn't say so, considering your kids just drugged you. You never know what they'll do next after a stunt like that. I mean clearly they already don't see you as threatening and don't respect you at all. Perhaps a more serious consequence would be required for them to understand what they've done.

...I don't... what?! I admit to spending a lot of time on the internet myself... and not even I would go that far! What the hell is wrong with those girls?!?

Keoul:

Baldry:

I wouldn't say so, considering your kids just drugged you. You never know what they'll do next after a stunt like that. I mean clearly they already don't see you as threatening and don't respect you at all. Perhaps a more serious consequence would be required for them to understand what they've done.

First off if my kids ever drugged me I'd laugh it off because it'd be funny as hell. Secondly well this parent's already proven to be shitty, sure they think they're doing best but I doubt they've ever actually tried sitting there kid down and being like "...look don't go around drugging people and everything I've done I've done for you" etc

Baldry:

First off if my kids ever drugged me I'd laugh it off because it'd be funny as hell. Secondly well this parent's already proven to be shitty, sure they think they're doing best but I doubt they've ever actually tried sitting there kid down and being like "...look don't go around drugging people and everything I've done I've done for you" etc

Well
First off you'd be promoting their behavior by laughing it off and finding it amusing so you can look forward to them drugging you again.
Secondly these parents simply alerted the authorities as soon as they knew that they had been drugged, they probably just panicked. Parents are humans too I'm no that surprised that their first thought would be to alert the authorities after finding out that they've been drugged.

Kopikatsu:

I didn't say that. I did say however that the parent's treatment of the kids caused this to happen.

And if you call the police on your own daughter after something like that, I'd say that evidently, something in those parents' heads isn't wired correctly. It's sure a crisis event in terms of raising kids, but such things do not happen by themselves. It requires years of lousy parenting to lose enough respect for something like that to happen.

Now they're using the police to compensate for their own failure, and if you ask me, the Rocklin police messed up bigtime by actually letting themselves be used for that.

Keoul:

Baldry:

Well
First off you'd be promoting their behavior by laughing it off and finding it amusing so you can look forward to them drugging you again.
Secondly these parents simply alerted the authorities as soon as they knew that they had been drugged, they probably just panicked. Parents are humans too I'm no that surprised that their first thought would be to alert the authorities after finding out that they've been drugged.

Yes because after we had a good old laugh about it I wouldn't tell them to never drug me again or anything like that, nope that'd just be silly.
No the parent's simply shifting their responsibility else where, which the parent already has a history of doing. If you haven't noticed they restricted the kids access to the internet instead telling the kid the dangers of the internet and trusting them not to go crazy and now instead of discipling their own child they called the police to do it for them. Next the parent might blame Mcdonald's for making their kid fat instead of themselves for not teaching their kid moderation in fatty foods and to not eat right in the first place.

Baldry:

Yes because after we had a good old laugh about it I wouldn't tell them to never drug me again or anything like that, nope that'd just be silly.
No the parent's simply shifting their responsibility else where, which the parent already has a history of doing. If you haven't noticed they restricted the kids access to the internet instead telling the kid the dangers of the internet and trusting them not to go crazy and now instead of discipling their own child they called the police to do it for them. Next the parent might blame Mcdonald's for making their kid fat instead of themselves for not teaching their kid moderation in fatty foods and to not eat right in the first place.

Yes, because they'll totally never drug you again to do what they want because they got off scott free this time, nope that'd just be silly.
Though I agree with you on this point, it does seem like they are shifting responsibility. They really should have talked to them first and if the kids threw a tantrum maybe then alerting the authorities.

Keoul:

Baldry:

Yes, because they'll totally never drug you again to do what they want because they got off scott free this time, nope that'd just be silly.
Though I agree with you on this point, it does seem like they are shifting responsibility. They really should have talked to them first and if the kids threw a tantrum maybe then alerting the authorities.

Well in this case it requires my kid to want to drug people and the only reason i'd see my child do it would be for shits and giggles.
Tantrum maybe not, getting violent and what not maybe, if there's a threat of death then sure call the police but they shouldn't of let it get this far in the first place.

We don't know details as to how these girls have been treated, so I would hesitate to judge their actions.
But:
The basic idea is that they were fighting for their rights and freedom to do what they want. How you may ask?
First of all, people don't automatically turn "mature" on their 18th birthday, the system is only based around age because it's too lazy to actually look for maturity. Even further, as of now, kids don't really have their own rights and are just property. Why? Simply because the parents get to make the decisions for them, regardless of their maturity and the parent's maturity because the parent's basically possess their rights and are supposed to act as a representative until they have reached the age of maturity. I'm also saying that people's view of "maturity" is more often than not based on their own standards and what they would do, which isn't necessarily the right thing. The problem here is that most kinds just don't have the courage to right for the rights they cherish. So Kudos to these girls in that regard, they ceratinly do atleast have courage. It's also an important part of growing up to realize that your paren't aren't flawless and to rebel against them if you think their decisions are wrong to become an independent and healthy individual. After all, we aren't trying raise soldiers who just have to follow the orders that they're given, soldiers usually even made the inital decision by themselves, while kids are just forced to do what they're told. It's basically limited-time-tyranny (and currently you really aren't presented with any choice other than fighting or running if you want freedom. Kinda like the american revolution, but this oppression ends the day they turn 18 in most countries, and you don't necessarily have to fight. But put simply: If somebody is able to make his own decisions, bear responsibilities and can generally provide good reasoning for why he'd doing what he's doing, why interfere? You don't really force "protection from their own mistakes" on adults either, do you? What's the difference between the 22 year olds who keep drinking too much alcohol at parties and these teenagers? I'd call neather responsible, but both are probably aware of the consequences of their decisions.
But put simply: I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The law is flawed. Why I may ask? Because children basically can't even go to court, hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit without their parent's assisstance. To understand what I'm saying, just imagine you would basically "belong" to your parents at your current age and maturity. Would you like it? Probably not. Would you fight for your freedom? Hell yeah!
Though, thb, I think drugging the parents might be understandable because in that situation, this is possibly the most harmless thing they could do to get what they wanted with the least possible effort and time.
Also fighting isn't as childish as you may want to put it. If that's childish, then you're also calling terrorists childish, but terrorists are just stupid. The point is, that it isn't the state's duty to protect its citizen from their own stupidity if they don't want the protection and aren't harming anyone else other than themselves.
To quote a famous quote on liberty and freedom(I don't really know anymore where I heard it):
"One man's liberty ends where another man's liberty begins."
Society should try to hold onto this principle a little more, I think.

I hope that those defending the actions of these girls never have kids OR if they do have kids OR if they chose to have kids at a future date that they never ever complain to anyone about anything their kids do. Ever. I would also like to add that people seem to have (largely) missed, what I have to assume, was the main reason that they contacted the police: one of the girls involved WAS NOT the daughter of the people who got sedated she was their daughters friend. Dealing with something phenomenally dumb like this that your own child has done without involving police? Fine, whatever. Dealing with something like this that involves someone else's kid? Nope, now we need to call the police. Lastly the dumb bitches who didn't like their internet "rights" being trampled all over are lucky that a bad hangover for their victims was the only outcome. Since neither the Escapist nor the source article mentions specifically what sleep-aid was used and since there aren't (to my knowledge) a large number of 15 or 16 year old pharmacists I imagine it would have been very easy for these morons to administer too large a dose and send one or both of their victims to the hospital or the morgue. Just think about that a bit.

FFP2:

I think that sentiment is part of where the moral panics against games come from. It's quite possible they're no more screwed up than we were, we just hear about them more than we heard about us. I mean, think about it. This case is shocking because it's so unprecedented. That means it's rare.

Kopikatsu:

Blablahb:

Milanezi:

No, it's not an acceptable response. But they shouldn't face jail time. They're minors. A conviction won't teach them anything. It'll only ruin their lives. A criminal record typically makes it nearly impossible to get a job and restricts a few of your rights. I really don't understand people who think it's okay to treat minors with the same harshness as adults in the legal system, and I have nothing but contempt for the "tough on crime" attitude. I don't even care if they murdered someone. They're minors. Do you know what "minors" means? It means "stupid". Their brains are physically incapable of comprehending the severity of their actions because they're not fully developed yet. Yes the drugs were a disproportionate response, but jail time is a disproportionate response to that. Are the parents dead? Is there any permanent damage? No? Then just ground the girls for months and months. They may be teenagers but they're still human, they'll feel guilty about this. And when they're older, they'll feel really guilty about this.

And I firmly believe that no good parent ever calls the police on their own child, unless the child is seriously a threat to them. I don't care if your child is a contract killer. If it's your own flesh and blood, you love her unconditionally unless she ever tries to kill you personally. Okay yes, sleeping pills, kind of a really scary sign. But hardly life-threatening.

It could be worse, they could have bound and gagged them.

The way I see it is, "no harm, no foul" just teach them it was a wrong thing to do.

Some people seem to think this was a major thing that happened and I just don't see it that way, it was bad but not juvie bad.

Anyway, 10 curfew? For 16 year old? Treat them with respect and maybe they won't drug you

McMullen:

FFP2:

I think that sentiment is part of where the moral panics against games come from. It's quite possible they're no more screwed up than we were, we just hear about them more than we heard about us. I mean, think about it. This case is shocking because it's so unprecedented. That means it's rare.

Some kids over here killed their parents because they refused to get them a Blackberry, and another because he didn't get a PS3 for his birthday... Stuff like this is child's play compared to the shit that goes down here. Sorry if I came across as prejudiced.

omega 616:
It could be worse, they could have bound and gagged them.

The way I see it is, "no harm, no foul" just teach them it was a wrong thing to do.

Some people seem to think this was a major thing that happened and I just don't see it that way, it was bad but not juvie bad.

Anyway, 10 curfew? For 16 year old? Treat them with respect and maybe they won't drug you

I don't know, I mean, I"m with you on the "don't get the law involved" part, but 10 seems pretty fair to me. The parents just want them to get adequate sleep. My bed time was 9:30 until I was about 14. It was pretty much unlimited when I was 15, but that's because my mom passed away and my dad was overly nice because he was afraid of losing my love. And now I've developed seriously bad sleeping habits that I've been very slowly breaking over the course of the last five years.

Wow. That turned dark quickly. The point is, what curfew do you think is fair for a teenager?

The elder of the two, visiting on a sleepover. Clearly she'd already been kicked out, this was probably about getting even. Oh well, clearly there were issues here before this.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here