Second Hand Wii U Comes With Previous Owner's Games

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Second Hand Wii U Comes With Previous Owner's Games

Apparently binding games to the Wii U console wasn't a hot idea. Who knew?

Expect prices for second hand Wii U systems to spike, as a NeoGAF user has revealed that the previous owner's games were all still available on his old console. The quirk allowed NeoGAF poster DSN2K to download Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo for free. "Advice to those buying a second hand Wii U", DSN2K says, "check all the games on the Store ... you might be in for some 'free' games!"

This would seem to be a feature, not a bug. Nintendo's own support page points out that, at the moment, users cannot transfer accounts. "A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created," says Nintendo Support, adding that "currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console." The data is bound to the console, not the account, in other words. Moreover every account on that console has access to the data.

So even though the previous owner had wiped his account, he hadn't - because he couldn't - wipe access to the games he'd installed on that console. Each was still available for download, which DSN2K promptly did.

The previous owner won't be able to regain access to his Nintendo Network ID, should he change his mind and want back in, since the only way to do that at the moment is to send the console itself to Nintendo of America. It would seem that people wanting to sell their console second hand are giving away more than they bargained for, when they part with the device.

Source: Eurogamer

Well there goes the war against used games :/
Or is Nintendo even participating in that farce?

So if I'm understanding this correctly... if i replace my console, all of my games are now gone because they are tied to the console not an 'account'?

Mouse_Crouse:
So if I'm understanding this correctly... if i replace my console, all of my games are now gone because they are tied to the console not an 'account'?

Yes. That would be correct.

I'm really not sure whether Nintendo intended to whack used console sales, used games, or itself here - even though they're probably going to catch most of the backlash.

Mouse_Crouse:

Correct, because the account is bound to the console.

Well, downloadable titles anyway, as the articles says.

Kargathia:
Yes. That would be correct.

I'm really not sure whether Nintendo intended to whack used console sales, used games, or itself here - even though they're probably going to catch most of the backlash.

Well this seem to only be related to digital downloaded games (like Xbox live arcade games). But I for one would be pretty cross to lose 200+ dollars of arcade games because I bought a new console. Things go wrong with consoles and they have to be replaced from time to time, just feels like a terrible idea.

How was this ever going to be a good idea?

So my understanding is:
Console gets bricked, lose access to all your stuff.
Have 2 consoles in the house, can only play your purchased stuff on one.
Right?

But all games you downloaded from the Nintendo Store on the Wii were also on that console right?

My question here is, who get's rid of a console after it's been 1 month out on the market?

Guffe:
But all games you downloaded from the Nintendo Store on the Wii were also on that console right?

My question here is, who get's rid of a console after it's been 1 month out on the market?

Presumably somebody who decided they didn't like the controller or the general feel of the console and decided to sell it while there was still a high demand for it.

So does this mean you get all the ex-users friends and messages etc? Because if so Nintendo have created the least safe and family friendly console of them all

Well this is a pretty strong incentive.. to never buy anything from the Wii-U's online store. My console dies, needs to be sold, etc, all my digital content is gone? Yeah, I'll stick to buying physical copies of what I can and ignoring what I can't.

How is it possible in 2012 for a game company to be so completely inept when it comes to console design? Seriously, I can't get my head around it. Considering how badly Nintendo has handled the online account part of earlier hardware, I DON'T think this is any kind of move against the second hand market. This was just Nintendo's designers being generally dumb and ignorant. Has to be.

I have one of these Wiis, only better for some reason... The "free" games in the download list vary for me from month to month. I'll give a nickel to anyone that can tell me why.

Sylveria:
Well this is a pretty strong incentive.. to never buy anything from the Wii-U's online store. My console dies, needs to be sold, etc, all my digital content is gone? Yeah, I'll stick to buying physical copies of what I can and ignoring what I can't.

It was a good enough reason for me to not buy any downloadable games on the original Wii either. It was annoying enough that save files for half my games were locked to the console and couldn't be transferred without going through Nintendo. They didn't understand how to not make it a pain in the ass for the user back then, and they apparently still don't now, because this doesn't sound any different/better.

Interesting. People are saying that this has been possible on every Nintendo device since the 3DS, including the Wii.

Great. I thought they did it by an online account, not just by console. Why would I ever think they'd be trying to make things convenient? I really hope they change this soon because this is just annoying.

Oh enough with the posturing & fake indignation, if your console bricks do the intelligent thing and call up customer service and get them to change the associated tag in their database to the new one. Its really pathetic that all you guys can do is speculate negatively.

As for giving away free stuff with a console your selling well what does it matter? You obviously dont want them any more anyway. Alternatively if your really that stingy call up customer service and ask them to unlink the games.

That blew up on them. Not smart at all. That is what you get for being all kinds of backwards with your shitty network design.

Contemplate your Wii U purchase I'd say. I'm getting one later anyway. I hope this won't be a major lingering issue.

Sylveria:

If your console dies, return it to Nintendo for replacement. You have a year long warranty. After that, you can pay them for the repair, which may be cheaper than a new console, but if it's not, then you've returned a brick to be disposed of and freed up your account. Unless you're a dishonest scumbag who's looking to sell a dead system, this policy presents zero problem to you.

If, on the other hand, you want to sell your live Wii U, then yes, your digital content goes with it. I'm not sure why this matters, since if you're getting rid of your Wii-U, you're getting rid of the machine capable of playing the content anyway. If anything, this allows you some return on the costs of that content, since you can sell the machine "with games" and charge accordingly.

Guffe:

There's a system transfer feature so you can transfer your Wii content to and from the Wii U.

FizzyIzze:
Interesting. People are saying that this has been possible on every Nintendo device since the 3DS, including the Wii.

The 3DS came after the Wii. And no it didn't necessarily happen with the Wii. The Wii just had a small amount of internal storage which was usually enough for a lot of games due to the low memory size of them. People were still able to buy SD cards and memory sticks to put in the Wii.

Detroit:
Contemplate your Wii U purchase I'd say. I'm getting one later anyway. I hope this won't be a major lingering issue.

You can retrieve your network ID :/... When you connect your Wii U to the internet it asks you if you want to create a Network ID or retrieve one using your Network ID login... I've even done it myself...

Really, take what you hear about the Wii U on the Escapist with a grain of salt, I'm not saying this article is lying, however EVERYTHING I've heard about the Wii U up until now from this website has been false.

Sylveria:

This is my problem with it too. I hope this is going to change because there's always a risk that electronic appliances will break. At the moment they aren't able to fix this themselves and that makes me worry about purchasing digital content from them. I am a big fan of digital distribution and will pick that over physical purchases more often than not even if the price is the same or just a little higher. Again, I hope they are able to fix this so I can get going on downloading digital games.

Anyone who has ever complained about digital sales preventing resale of games should be happy about this. The rest of us, the normal people, should be fed up.

P.S. Thanks

saleem:
Oh enough with the posturing & fake indignation, if your console bricks do the intelligent thing and call up customer service and get them to change the associated tag in their database to the new one. Its really pathetic that all you guys can do is speculate negatively.

As for giving away free stuff with a console your selling well what does it matter? You obviously dont want them any more anyway. Alternatively if your really that stingy call up customer service and ask them to unlink the games.

It shouldn't be this difficult games should be linked to the account like they are on steam, XBL and I assume PSN although I have never bought anything from there. You should never have to contact customer support for something this simple.

getoffmycloud:

saleem:

It shouldn't be this difficult games should be linked to the account like they are on steam, XBL and I assume PSN although I have never bought anything from there. You should never have to contact customer support for something this simple.

You should never have to contact customer support when your console bricks? Thats an odd statement to make.

A Smooth Criminal:
Really, take what you hear about the Wii U on the Escapist with a grain of salt, I'm not saying this article is lying, however EVERYTHING I've heard about the Wii U up until now from this website has been false.

I say, this was all a clever ruse? Henceforth I shall be more attentive. Really though I read that you were able to get around it (it's in this thread). All I'm saying is give peace a chance be wary and that stuff like this shouldn't be this big an issue.

Detroit:

A Smooth Criminal:

I say, this was all a clever ruse? Henceforth I shall be more attentive. Really though I read that you were able to get around it (it's in this thread). All I'm saying is give peace a chance be wary and that stuff like this shouldn't be this big an issue.

Considering that the majority of the Escapist news writers have made it clear that they simply don't like Nintendo consoles, and just LOVE to repeat the same false shit in every article, like the bricking update, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just trying to spread hate for Nintendo.

I'm not even kidding.. everything they say about the Wii U is generally utter bullshit.

A Smooth Criminal:

Detroit:

A Smooth Criminal:

Considering that the majority of the Escapist news writers have made it clear that they simply don't like Nintendo consoles, and just LOVE to repeat the same false shit in every article, like the bricking update, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just trying to spread hate for Nintendo.

I'm not even kidding.. everything they say about the Wii U is generally utter bullshit.

Really? That's seems unusual. Anyway I'm not getting one until MH3U comes out. Btw, where's your avatar from?

Detroit:

A Smooth Criminal:

Detroit:

Really? That's seems unusual. Anyway I'm not getting one until MH3U comes out. Btw, where's your avatar from?

My avatar is a screen grab of Ninjasexparty's dinosaur laser fight.

And pretty much all of the news about the Wii U from the escapist has been bandwagon jumping. They hear something that MIGHT be true so they jump up and rave on about how Nintendo's doing some travesty.

Let's hope the consoles don't start breaking. People are gonna be piiiiiiiiissed!

shintakie10:

getoffmycloud:

saleem:

You should never have to contact customer support when your console bricks? Thats an odd statement to make.

Sorry that's not what I meant I meant that you shouldn't have to contact customer support to transfer downloaded games onto another console.

getoffmycloud:

shintakie10:

getoffmycloud:

Sorry that's not what I meant I meant that you shouldn't have to contact customer support to transfer downloaded games onto another console.

Why would you sell a fully working console to buy the same fully working console?

Guffe:

Somebody who wants it for one game and one game only which he will play the everloving crap out of before he sells it on to somebody who'll be able to make more use of it.

That's the only way I can see me being able to sort out Bayonetta 2.

When I bought my Wii some years back (used, because it was the only one they had at the nearest Gamestop and SSBB was due to come out in a couple months) it may have been missing Wii Sports but it DID have Super Mario 64 and Bomberman '93 on it, along with 800 points. So this news hardly surprises me. I'm not sure why it's suddenly a big deal...

Umm...guys...this feature was implemented as far back as the Wii... You're throwing a hissy fit, over a problem that's been over five years in the making. Are you either misinformed, or have you never owned a Nintendo console past the 'Cube? I've owned at least three Wii's, and I own two now, one that can play disks, the other that can play Digital games.

I ringed up a support group, and my answer basically was," You can't transfer digital games to a new account."

So...in the end...what's your point here? This is old news, with an even older wore down argument.

And I'm glad at least a few people understand where I'm coming from.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here