Both BioShocks Combine for Ultimate Rapture Edition

Both BioShocks Combine for Ultimate Rapture Edition

A bevy of BioShock content will set you back $30.

BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition may not quite live up to its lofty name, but it's aiming to get pretty close. If you've been holding off on purchasing the series but want to get acquainted with it prior to the release of BioShock Infinite, Irrational Games is about to make it much easier for you. This $30 compilation will give you access to BioShock, BioShock 2, a host of DLC packs for both, and few collectible goodies to ease your journey from Rapture into Columbia.

The two games themselves are pretty well-known at this point. Each entry is a first-person shooter that invites players to explore Rapture, an underwater city founded on the Objectivist principles of novelist Ayn Rand. Where Ultimate Rapture provides the biggest convenience is arguably in consolidating all the DLC in one place. The first game will include the "Plasmids Pack," the "Challenge Rooms Pack" (previously only available on PS3), and a new museum level to explore. BioShock 2 includes multiplayer content packs "Sinclair Solutions Tester," "Rapture Metro," and "Kill 'Em Kindly," in addition to the single player "The Protector Trials" and "Minerva's Den." Finally, the game will include a number of collectible BioShock Infinite stickers, perhaps for patching pipes on clockwork steam technology. Irrational pegs the additional content's worth at over $40.

Many, if not most, people in BioShock Infinite's target audience have already played at least one of the two games, but if you haven't, this is probably the most efficient way to do it. Ultimate Rapture Edition will launch for the PS3 and 360 on January 14, 2013, so that should still leave new players a few months to finish the older games before the latest installment ships. Personally, I wonder how many people plan to pick this one up; would you kindly leave a comment?

Source: Irrational Games

Both Bioshocks were $5 on Amazon as a bundle multiple times last year, and were at $10 for both the Duke Nukem and Spec Ops: The Line bundles as well.

That's a terrible offer.

deth2munkies:
Both Bioshocks were $5 on Amazon as a bundle multiple times last year, and were at $10 for both the Duke Nukem and Spec Ops: The Line bundles as well.

That's a terrible offer.

News flash: A digital download of a game for PC is available at a massive discount compared to new physical copies of the console version. In other news, the sky is blue.

I'll definitely get them. I haven't had a chance to play these games yet. Didn't see the point in my youth. What a mistake I made.

deth2munkies:

That's a terrible offer.

You can still get both Bioshocks bundled together with Spec Ops: The Line (Yahtzee's Game of the Year) for $10: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091T6FQO/

If you've bought anything last year from Amazon Download a $5 Coupon might apply, making it a $5 buy for all three games.
They all activate on Steam also.

IMO anything containing the words "Bioshock" and "Ultimate" probably shouldn't include Bioshock 2 unless it's a sentence describing Bioshock 2 and one of the other words in said sentence is "disappointment" or other similar word.

Well I have both games already and plan on getting the special edition of Bioshock Infinite so I will probably pass on this but this does look like a nice addition to anyone new to the franchise or is missing one of the games.

I've got the second one but I might get this because I don't have the first and I don't ha e any of the dlc. Plus since I got a flat I've been wanting to save some where I can and I'm hoping this set will come in one box.

That's weird, I had no intention of leaving a comment...yet here I am...

actar411:
I'll definitely get them. I haven't had a chance to play these games yet. Didn't see the point in my youth. What a mistake I made.

I don't think that was a mistake, BioShock definitively is a game best enjoyed by adults, and that has nothing to do with violence etc. I played the game when I was 14, an I liked it, but it wasn't until I picked it up five years later 'till I fully enjoyed this genius game!

DO look for the audiologs, they are vital for the story!

Anthony Chima:
That's weird, I had no intention of leaving a comment...yet here I am...

Now, go get stepped on by a Big Daddy, would you kindly?!

I wish they could just release the Bioshock 1 Museum and Trial room DLC separately on 360 since I already own both games and have absolutely no interest of putting Bioshock 2 back into my 360 at all.

Also, didn't the PS3 Version of Bioshock: Infinite already include the original Bioshock (the good one) anyway?
Why buy it again separately?

I WOULD pick that up, if it wasn't DLC.

Another disc with the games and DLC on them?
Sure.

DLC?
Ain't nobody got time for that!

I'd like to know if I can get that "Museum Level" anywhere other than in this re-release.

ThingWhatSqueaks:
IMO anything containing the words "Bioshock" and "Ultimate" probably shouldn't include Bioshock 2 unless it's a sentence describing Bioshock 2 and one of the other words in said sentence is "disappointment" or other similar word.

Personally, I found the second one to be the superior game in nearly every aspect, the only weakness being the reduced presence of Andrew Ryan. So, yeah, definitely your opinion on that.

Bioshock was my first non-valve steam purchase for $5. Those were the days.

"I wonder if this steam thing will catch on?"

"Well its only 5 bucks, here goes..."

Can I get the extra stuff for the first game without spending $30 on 2 games I own? That would be nice.

Tanis:

Sure.

DLC?

Would you kindly reread the first paragraph?

BioShock: Ultimate Rapture Edition may not quite live up to its lofty name, but it's aiming to get pretty close. If you've been holding off on purchasing the series but want to get acquainted with it prior to the release of BioShock Infinite, Irrational Games is about to make it much easier for you. This $30 compilation will give you access to BioShock, BioShock 2, a host of DLC packs for both, and few collectible goodies to ease your journey from Rapture into Columbia.

So both games and a slew of DLC for only half the price of a game? I don't own the series but am interested in Infinite so I'll take this bargain.

Well, I've played the first 2 games to death and although having the DLC would be nice (and lord knows I'm willing to spend time with the XBLA interface to get it otherwise) I've played the games to death... It sounds likea good deal and... It would make a great gift! Well, that's my friends birthday sorted, thanks Escapist, I'm sure he'll enjoy Bioshock more than the copy of Final Fantasy I never played...

When they meant "in consolidating all the DLC in one place." does it work like Batman: Arkham City GOTY Edition where all the contents are already in the disk or does it work like the God of War Saga Collection where you still have to download the DLC contents? If it's the latter, I think I'll just wait for the Bioshock Infinite PS3 version and rid myself of not ever playing Bioshock 2. It's just that the Challenge Maps are tempting.

Captain Epic:
Can I get the extra stuff for the first game without spending $30 on 2 games I own? That would be nice.

This would be so nice. Or maybe why not just add ALL the extra content of the first game in the Bioshock Infinite PS3 version. :(

This is relevant to my interests, as I have yet to pick them up. :)

Is there a Bioshock 2 GOTY edition?

Since I already own the first one I'd rather just have the second w/ DLC.

Would you kindly leave a comment?

Nnghhh! I wasn't going to! But I can't help myself now! WHAT'S HAPPENING?!

...At any rate, this is a great deal for 360 owners. For PS3 owners like me, Bioshock Infinite comes with Bioshock 1. And if you have PS+, then Bioshock 2 is for free.

But like I said, great deal for people who don't have access to any of that, especially because of the DLC.

Adding 'Ultimate' to anything makes it sound cooler. I was almost swayed into buying this when I realized I already owned both games on Steam.

I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of material items that come with this 'Ultimate' Rapture edition. I was expecting some kind of model of Rapture. We need more cool stuff like that.

Marshall Honorof:
would you kindly leave a comment?

No, because a man chooses and a slave ob- ah fuck. You win this time!

The only way I'd pick this up is if it included the alpha/beta version of Bioshock 2 (which had the Russians as enemies instead of the various Rapture enemies). Otherwise, they can keep their cash grab. A handful of stickers and a concept gallery aren't enough to sway me.

crazyrabbits:
The only way I'd pick this up is if it included the alpha/beta version of Bioshock 2 (which had the Russians as enemies instead of the various Rapture enemies). Otherwise, they can keep their cash grab. A handful of stickers and a concept gallery aren't enough to sway me.

Wait, what now?

Russians? In Rapture? I don't even.

So I just wasted 1 minute of my life until learning that it's only for consoles. Not PC. :(

Dexter111:
Also, didn't the PS3 Version of Bioshock: Infinite already include the original Bioshock (the good one) anyway?
Why buy it again separately?

I think it's just such an awful propaganda to bundle games together the way Infinite is doing. feels like those days when something wouldn't sell so the shopkeeper would put a shitload of stuff together as a cheap bundle, I mean Infinite has no connection to the original Bioshock, no reason to stick the games together...

CityofTreez:

crazyrabbits:

Wait, what now?

Russians? In Rapture? I don't even.

According to most online sources (including TVTropes, where it's listed as a Trivia entry), it had the following:

BioShock 2 went through several huge shifts in storyline and themes during development. Originally, the Big Sister was intended as a single Big Bad or The Dragon, a former Little Sister incapable of adapting to life on the surface who had returned to Rapture to try and rebuild the city of her childhood. She kidnapped girls to do so, and Tennenbaum returned to try and clean up the mess. This entire plot was more or less scrapped in exchange for a Perspective Flip with a religious collectivist villain in contrast to the first game's atheist Objectivist Big Bad.

At one point, the sequel was to have Soviet Russia invade Rapture, with the Soviet troops replacing splicers. (It was even in some demos shown to reviewers.)

kael013:

Tanis:

Sure.

DLC?

Would you kindly reread the first paragraph?

So both games and a slew of DLC for only half the price of a game? I don't own the series but am interested in Infinite so I'll take this bargain.

It sounds to me like you'll have to download the content.

Unless the games are ON DISC, I don't want it.

It's a waste of space and bandwidth.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here