Sony Ceases PlayStation 2 Production Worldwide

Sony Ceases PlayStation 2 Production Worldwide

The best-selling console of all time ends its record-breaking run.

Well, that's it, ladies and gentlemen: The sixth console generation is officially over, as Sony's PlayStation 2 has now been discontinued worldwide. The news comes just days after PS2 production ceased in Japan, which was the first sign that this day was fast approaching.

Launched in 2000, Sony's second major console release was by far its most successful to date. The PlayStation 2 is currently the best selling home console ever released, having sold over 155 million units since its debut. That figure leaves its primary competitors in the dust, with the original Xbox coming in at around 24 million sales, and Nintendo's GameCube bringing up the rear with 22 million sales.

The PlayStation 2 had a few key advantages in the early going, most notably its support for DVD video, which was just catching fire at the time the console was released. The PS2 received fantastic third-party publisher support with titles like Grand Theft Auto III, and played host to first-party exclusives such as God of War and Gran Turismo 4.

So if you have a drink near you, pour one out for the PlayStation 2, because it definitely deserves a place in the heart of every gamer.

Source: Guardian

Crap!

>_> Hope I can still get a new one before it's too late.
<_> You will be missed PS2. Goodbye.

This is the worst day ever.

All I can say is RIP PS2 and I should buy a back-up 1 before it's too late.

Well now it's official, we'll send it off with a song:

The first time I met you, my darling
Your face was as fair as the rose,
But now your dear face has grown paler
As pale as the lily white rose.

I love the White Rose in its splendour
I love the White Rose in its bloom
I love the White Rose so fair as she grows.
It's the rose that reminds me of you.

Shit, now I'm really gonna have to buy one while I still can, and keep it packed up forever.

...I'm not kidding.

RIP PS2, I have some fond memories.
The first game I got on the PS2 was Jak and Daxter, I hadn't even told my mom I wanted that game, she just picked that one because she knows me so well. It was one of those "How did you know!" moments.

Now begs the question, if people can't get PS2s and the PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility, how are people going to play the massive PS2 library?
I doubt the PSN store offers that many PS2 titles, and not everyone is making HD collections. I'm pretty sure people who want to play Wild Arms 3, 4 or 5 for example, might be screwed.

Riobux:
This is the worst day ever.

It's as bad as the day they stopped producing PS1's :'(
I just loved that intro...

*My feels* :(

You guys make it sound like the PS2 I have sitting in my room right now is going to just up and dissolve on me.

Sure, newer PS2's won't be made anymore, but...it has been 13 years now. Just saying.

Nothing's going to stop me from popping over to Vintage Stock and perusing through their enormous selection of PS2 titles, either. Ah well, it'll be up to us current PS2 owners to keep the memory alive.

I don't drink, but I will play a game on my PS2 tonight in honor of this sad day.

Sad thing to hear. The PS2 was a system that stood the test of a generation (or two) and having it go after all these years... Weren't they producing PS2 games only a few months ago? Could have given us a little more warning than that.

Still, will try to buy myself another copy, for prosperity's sake. That and my old PS2 fat could die at any moment and then my huge PS2 collection would be unplayable. Including some great FF games (loved X and XII).

Eclipse Dragon:
The first game I got on the PS2 was Jak and Daxter, I hadn't even told my mom I wanted that game, she just picked that one because she knows me so well. It was one of those "How did you know!" moments.

Now begs the question, if people can't get PS2s and the PS3 no longer has backwards compatibility, how are people going to play the massive PS2 library?
I doubt the PSN store offers that many PS2 titles, and not everyone is making HD collections. I'm pretty sure people who want to play Wild Arms 3, 4 or 5 for example, might be screwed.

Jak And Daxter was also my first PS2 game! :D
I used to love it and the FECKING shark man! Panic attack everytime!
/Innocent me

Also... I guess in a few years the only way to play PS2 games is

1) Owning an original PS2 with games
2) Pcsx2 (It's an EMU)

I personally use the Emu when I can, since I can scale the games resolution to make them look HD, which is far better than the streching the regular PS2 uses on a widescreen TV.

Still, owning an original PS2 has so much more meaning :(

R.I.P. my old friend

Eclipse Dragon:

Jak and Daxter was my first ps2 game too! :D
Love that game.

This is a sad day. I have to snatch up another because I'm not sure how long my old ps2 is gonna last.

Ok, when i heard about the Japan shutdown i did this,

So now i need something that will beat that...

I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero. It has started to falter after so many years of faithful service, and this news now makes me feel worse. With the PS2 dies a generation where buying a game meant receiving a complete game, unencumbered with day-one-DLCs, online passes and other bullshit. Sleep well, PS2.

Eclipse Dragon:

Simple. Get a reasonably powerful processor and you can run PS2 games on an emulator on your PC. It's not even illegal - all you need to do is copy the BIOS file from your PS2. Hell, emulators run PS2 and Wii games at a higher resolution on the PC, so they look better on a larger screen as well.

Raiyan 1.0:
I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero.

At the mention of that, i shall post...

And...

And...

Those 3 tracks made thier respective games. Now confined to history unless Namco pulls thier finger out and rereleases them.

Eclipse Dragon:

Simple. Get a reasonably powerful processor and you can run PS2 games on an emulator on your PC. It's not even illegal - all you need to do is copy the BIOS file from your PS2. Hell, emulators run PS2 and Wii games at a higher resolution on the PC, so they look better on a larger screen as well.

This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.

gigastar:

And...

And...

Those 3 tracks made thier respective games. Now confined to history unless Namco pulls thier finger out and rereleases them.

Thanks. *sniff*

gigastar:

Eclipse Dragon:

This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.[/quote]

I was strictly talking in terms of legalities, but yeah, I doubt Sony will send their lawyers after you for that... ;)

13 years...has it really been that long?

It seems like just yesterday I was unwrapping my first PS2 under the Christmas tree, along with it's first game: Jak and Daxter.

And now we've come to this, 13 years later and it's almost time for the end of the era of one of the greatest game consoles ever.

All the franchises that had their beginnings on the humble little black box: Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Kingdom Hearts...

That machine is still sitting on my shelf, I'll bet it still runs like new even after all these years of non-use. They won't make 'em like that ever again.

Man this is depressing. This system deserves one hell of a sendoff. But what could possibly do it justice?

How about a few tributes to some of the PS2's greatest games:

Man, those hit me right in the nostalgia. Farewell PS2. I SALUTE YOU! *Salutes*

I guess it's time to buy a new one, just in case.

I think it's a testament to just how awesome this machine was that I'm feeling nostalgic despite not actually having any old memories of it. I was a Gamecube kid in that era so I never had one at the time. I finally bought one used not even a week ago, good timing I guess. I've been having a lot of fun with it, Persona 4 is just as amazing as everyone always said it was.

Farewell you mad genius, what a fantastic run.

Capcha: "one small step for man". That feels strangely more fitting then it should.

Goodnight, sweet prince.
:(

I am actually sad, even though my ps2 still works really good.
At least it was with us for a long time.

The time has come, everyone, get one while you still can.

I feel like it was a mediocre console. It just didn't really have much competition.

Thank god i bought a new one recently, that still plays games quite nicely.
But damn...the only console i think is REALLY good and it has to stop being produced... ;_; SONY WHY JUST...*hugs the nearest poster and cries uncontrollably*

I need to check to see if my one still works. I haven't touched it in years, but now feels like the right time to go back and play some good old games.

I think I'l start with FFX.

We just got a new one, probably right in time. It's kinda sad. I played the PS2 when it first released almost 13 years ago. Well, it had a good run... No. That's understating it.

It had a FANTASTIC run! Almost 13 years! That's quite impressive. We shall miss you, good ol' PS2. Fare thee well.

*sniff*

RIP Playstation 2. You were truly the best console. And now through the magic of emulation I will continue to enjoy your massive library of games.

Well I have to say it is amazing that it carried on for as long as it did, I mean, we are a generation and a half after its release and they were still making them?! Do we think it likely that the 360 and PS3 will last until the PS5 is out? (Then again looking at some of the PC commenters on youtube you would think that is EXACTLY what is going to happen)

Either way, good for Sony, that is a hella historic thing to have pulled off, and I honestly don't know if that record is likely to be beaten, it pretty much all depends on which direction production costs go.

What I would love to see sony do for those that currently own PS2s (I am not one) is introduce a buyback scheme for credit on the PSN store, as the raw materials used to make their consoles cannot be cheap, and imagine how cool it would be to know that some of the plastic or copper in your PS4 used to be a part of a laser reader or other piece of internal machinery from an old (maybe yours!) PS2.
Plus, you know, it'd be good for the environment and all

(CAPTCHA: Under the sea- DAMNIT NOW I NEED TO GO TO YOUTUBE AND LOOK UP THAT SONG AGAIN!)

gigastar:

Raiyan 1.0:
I just came back home from my friend's playing Soul Calibur 3 and Ace Combat Zero.

At the mention of that, i shall post...

And...

And...

Eclipse Dragon:

This being the internet, you could probably find the PS2 BIOS if you knew where to look.

Best songs ever to post on a topic such as this my friend. I was going to post Zero,but you did it for me. I have already made a post in the news about the ps2 ceasing in Japan,so I won't go too far here.

I'll miss my old friend.

hmmm... I have a fully functional ps2 and a semi backwards compatible ps3 and still I'm a little worried about the 'what if they die' scenario.

Oddly enough, I don't feel that way at all about my nes and snes.

Shine on, you crazy diamond. You will be missed. You gave us so many good times, and so many great games.

Thanks for the memories, old friend.

This probably means that new PS2s are going to go up in price, and I've been meaning to buy a backup for a while. Now I really want to go play Shadow of the Colossus, War of the Monsters, Mercenaries, Destroy All Humans, Spiderman 2 and GTA:SA. This really is sad news. I guess all of the games that still have multiplayer support are going to be shut down, and I've been wanting to get into Star Wars: Battlefront. :-(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here