EA Shows Off Dead Space 3 Kinect Commands

Pages 1 2 NEXT

EA Shows Off Dead Space 3 Kinect Commands

Electronic Arts says Dead Space 3 is "better with Kinect."

We already know that potentially fun things will happen when you swear at your Kinect rig while playing Dead Space 3, but there will be more practical applications as well. Instead of just dropping f-bombs all day long, you can tell it to reload, or give your partner some ammo, or take care of any of a number of other mundane tasks that would normally require you to mash a button or thumb a stick.

"We're the first game to ever have co-op Kinect commands," Dead Space 3 Executive Producer Steve Papoutsis explains in the Kinect promo trailer. "You don't have to fumble around with the controls. You just do what you normally do."

I suspect that what I would "normally" do if confronted by a Necromorph infestation is scream, run blindly into a wall, vomit and die, but Papoutsis is presumably talking about what we would do if we were Isaac Clarke, Space Engineer Extraordinaire, or the other guy, Rockjaw Whatshisface. Either way, it leaves me wondering where we draw the line on this whole voice command thing, and how long it will be before someone makes game in which we just sit on the couch and say "Shoot that guy. Shoot that guy. Shoot that guy," over and over again.

And why do we need a Kinect for this anyway? There are appears to be no use made of the motion control, so why can't we issue these same commands through a conventional headset? I don't get it.

Dead Space 3 comes out on February 5 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I'm sorry, I just saw them advertise the idea of saying(/screaming) "Revive Parter" to Kinect in order for your character to perform that function - right when there's a giant "A" appearing on the screen telling you to push that to revive your partner.

And they wonder why Dead Space III costs so much and they need to sell X million number of copies to make a profit. It is because they're spending all this development money on pointless things like Kinect. Oh, and then they need to make sure the technology is "refined" enough to recognise different accents and dialects... I bet that comes cheap.

I don't need to say "Revive Parter" to revive my partner when I can just press "A" when I am near my downed partner to revive my partner.

Congratulations, EA, you have created the perfect White Elephant of game design.

So many times I have tried my kinect to navigate on the menus of the xbox (and this is without background noise etc) and I allways just get mad take the control and press the buttons, kinect is an ok webcam, nothing else.

Interesting concept, but I F.E.A.R it won't be enough to keep Visceral games in the black.

how complex do they think that the Dead Space controls are?

I just... I don't get this. For very casual applications it kind of makes sense. My older sister enjoys being able to use the Kinect voice commands for Netflix to just say 'Xbox' and then 'Next episode' without having to stop whatever it is she's doing. Not exactly groundbreaking or a reason to acquire a Kinect, but at least it's a useful application if you have one.

For any sort of game though, the reactions tend to come down to how long it takes you to go from 'I need to do this' through 'I do this by pressing that' to pressing that. Voice commands add another step 'Wait for the Kinect to process that I said that' which is going to slow you down as long as the Kinect isn't instantaneous.

Plus it isn't going to be automatic until there's a standard. On my computer quite a few things are reflexive actions by now: Incoming fire? Either control+A or space+A depending on game to roll/jump out of the way. Got a moment to breath? R to reload. Need to pull up my inventory? Press I. I don't have 'Saying "Inventory" brings up my inventory' as a memorized thing to do yet, so it'll just get in the way.

It also breaks flow by...

Ending post in order to cease my sermon before the choir starts throwing things.

I still think my idea for spawning more morphs during a panicked outburst of F words was a better idea.

And it seems that Visceral have only squandered time on creating a redundant feature.

It might work for a player whos missing a finger or maybe a thumb, but im sure theres speciality gamepads for such people.

Hmm, some of the voice commands could be more fluid to the actual in-game experience. Examples:

"(Come on) get up!" instead of "Revive team mate"
"Where are you?" instead of "Find partner"
"Take some ammo" instead of "Give partner ammo"
"Switching over to my"/"It's time for"/"Get ready for the" [Insert weapon name here]

Of course, I guess they want it loud and clear what commands are specific for actually performing an action, and what will just be casual talk between two friends, instead of accidentally performing something you just said that you didn't really mean to. But it still feels a bit too robotic saying those commands like you're actually talking to the game itself rather than your friend.

Just my 2 cents.

Andy Chalk:

And why do we need a Kinect for this anyway? There are appears to be no use made of the motion control, so why can't we issue these same commands through a conventional headset? I don't get it.

But then they wouldn't be able to put that "Better with Kinect" on the box, Andy! Isn't it obvious!

Honestly, I have no idea. Just seems daft not to have it on everything, if there's not going to be any Kinect swishing.

Suppose it means I may have another use to dig out the Kinect, which is neat I suppose.

Yes, Deadspace 3 works best, when you pay an extra 90 dollars for a peripheral that hardly functions for the games it's designed for. Not all Xbox owners went hook line and sinker for the Kinect, and I doubt they would want to dish out 150+ dollars for the "best" experience.

Andy Chalk:

Because everyone figured out a long time ago that the Kinect's only good features were the voice commands so we're going to have to stick it out until they make a voice-command peripheral when they come to their senses.

How can saying a frase be faster then pushing a button that is at most 3 inches away from your finger?

Yeah... Better...

I'm just waiting for this to turn into another Steel Battalion.

This looks like a MASSIVE waste of time. I can do all of the stuff they showed with my keys faster than I can say it.

OH MY GOD I CAN RELOAD BY SAYING RELOAD! Why don't you just hit the reload button?

Everyone has already mentioned the huge obvious points of redundancy and slower response time, but that is not my main issue.

There is one (and quite possible only one) thing Dead Space does right: Immersion. I've played both Dead Space games and while I found them lacking in most departments I really enjoyed being immersed due to the lessened UI and fluid controls. This however completely ruins that. You used to be Isaac, desperately fighting for survival. Now when I'm supposed to scream "Reload" I'm just some douche on the radio giving Isaac orders. Any thing that takes unnecessary and redundant paths to simple things throw me out of the experience, but this is just the worst I've seen in a long while.

They didn't even set the commands to something you'd say in character. That would be hard to do, almost impossible, and that is why they shouldn't have bothered with this distraction at all. This system is at best clunky and an immersion killer. At worst, it won't even work properly.

Another waste of development time and money for the auxiliary function of the kinect that a headset can accomplish. Not going to help you reach that 5 million sale quota, EA.

You know what, I'm just going to sit back, and watch this game make a bigger explosion on EA's face than Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Kurt Cristal:

Because everyone figured out a long time ago that the Kinect's only good features were the voice commands so we're going to have to stick it out until they make a voice-command peripheral when they come to their senses.

As said though, traditional headphones. No need for a specific peripheral, just use the Mic in the headset the player has plugged in instead of Kinect. In doing so, voice commands work over all platforms instead of just on the Xbox as well. There is honestly no reason to use the Kinect exclusively for this other than plastering it on the box.

Great... Another useless gimmick.. Oh well.. This will provide some entertainment when the use news article comes out "Dead Space franchise shut down, EA reached lower numbers then expected".

The Almighty Grigard:
Everyone has already mentioned the huge obvious points of redundancy and slower response time, but that is not my main issue.

There is one (and quite possible only one) thing Dead Space does right: Immersion. I've played both Dead Space games and while I found them lacking in most departments I really enjoyed being immersed due to the lessened UI and fluid controls. This however completely ruins that. You used to be Isaac, desperately fighting for survival. Now when I'm supposed to scream "Reload" I'm just some douche on the radio giving Isaac orders. Any thing that takes unnecessary and redundant paths to simple things throw me out of the experience, but this is just the worst I've seen in a long while.

They didn't even set the commands to something you'd say in character. That would be hard to do, almost impossible, and that is why they shouldn't have bothered with this distraction at all. This system is at best clunky and an immersion killer. At worst, it won't even work properly.

It's like they're completely missing the entire point as to why Dead Space II was considered good. It was an adventure in insanity and horror with bouts of frantic combat. Sure the "oogie boogie boo" monsters jumping out of predictable vents became a bit routine but I really enjoyed the QTEs in the game, they did feel really frantic and desperate.

Now they're trying to turn it into... another FPS? Because that's exactly what the market needs, EA. MORE FPS games. To compete with the massive market of Call of Duty and Battlefield. Because competing with those is a bright idea. Just like how competing with World of Warcraft is a bright idea. But wait, you're competing with YOURSELF. You are spending millions upon millions of dollars to introduce redundant crap that makes one of your games more like another one of your games - THAT DIDN'T SELL WELL.

People who want to buy Dead Space III will already buy it because of its setting and story. I don't think a SINGLE person saw "Oh wow, Kinect voice activated commands for my PTSD engineer! Gonna buy that!"

What's that drinking game Yahtzee suggested? Take a drink for every voice command that couldn't have been replaced by a regular button press, and then drive home afterwards?

You see, the reason they can get away with this "better with Kinect" BS without getting slapped with a false advertising suit is because they never tell you exactly what they're comparing the Kinect experience to.

While saying the game is "better with Kinect than just playing with an ordinary controller" might be debatable, if you instead say "better with Kinect than trying to play using only your feet", suddenly there's no argument to be had.

DanDeFool:
You see, the reason they can get away with this "better with Kinect" BS without getting slapped with a false advertising suit is because they never tell you exactly what they're comparing the Kinect experience to.

While saying the game is "better with Kinect than just playing with an ordinary controller" might be debatable, if you instead say "better with Kinect than trying to play using only your feet", suddenly there's no argument to be had.

Even then, at least I wouldn't have to pay $90 to play a game with my feet. More like "better than Kinect than trying to eat an entire brick wall".

Well to me this sounds better geared to new players, anyone who takes a while to learn button mapping, people who "can't" hold/use a controller "normally" so it opens up opportunities for new kinds of players to be more competent further into the game.

Though for the more hardened players it seems it would only be a benefit (due to the time lag) to use V.C.s when in a panic, can't find the right button(s) or the voice commands don't effect fine aim shooting or other wise permit dual/multi actions to occur outside of the usual one button command at a time. Like if you are shooting and say "revive partner" you continue shooting uninterrupted where as hitting the "A" button pauses the firing.From the little I've seen in the video I think it's more likely the same in-game action whether saying it or hitting it but multi- button commanded skills could be quickened this way if the V.C. is utilized well.

And maybe all the work on mapping out the Kinect Voice Commands in a variety of languages can be sectioned off and easily be reused in future projects making this like more like buying a car and paying for parts down the line instead of paying for the bus everyday.

I'm not getting this game but it got nothing to do with kinect (but that gives me even more reason) but because the have cut content out of the campaign for those would can't play with other (can't afford xbox live-have zero real life friends who like horror/games)

This THIS FUCKING PISSED ME OFF but that's not what really made me rage but instead it was when one of the director was asked this he laughed and basically said he didn't care and that they should just shut up and get friends then. As such i hope this game bombs terribly!

Would work better with the PC, if they took a fraction of the time they took making Kinect rubbish semi work to sort out the PC controls... simple things like rebind keys to mouse buttons, or sort out the mouse controls on DS 1... nah spend months ensuring the stupid thing can understand 'reload' in Swahili with a Boston accent mimicked by a Japanese player instead.

I have both DS 1 and 2, love them both but cant really play DS 1 after getting used to the improved mouse control on DS 2.

DS 3 is not a instant buy, going to wait for reviews and lets plays before I put up the cash... if I can play it like DS 2 (solo experience with a creepy but interesting background with some fun shooting mechanics... they can leave the QTE's on the clipping room floor though, worst part of the experience), I'll get it but if its a generic FPS with a DS skin then no thank you.

... oh and EA, dont pull that PC aint getting the DLC crap again, and DEFINITELY do NOT pull that patch that simply hands every weapon to the player at the first store crap.
That was just plain moronic.

weirdguy:
I'm just waiting for this to turn into another Steel Battalion.

Same here. In fact, part of me wonders why Steel Battalion didn't react to you cursing at it. Perhaps it would have qualified as a game then. Maybe even functional!

I guess I should join the whine club that seems to always follow any announcement about any EA games latest features because that is the thing to do nowadays but I'm not. I really don't see anything negative with this at all especially if you don't even own a damn kinect but I guess that doesn't stop people from sh**ing all over them for adding it (which I am sure they had very little choice in the matter and are just trying to make the most of it). It really is amazing that people actually get offended by the very idea of a game developer using Kinect lol.

You know, 10 years ago people would have looked at what they are doing with this game and said "Man, these guys are really pulling out all the stops to make this game as good as they can" but it seems those days are long over. the gaming community looks at developers today as either complete crap or just tolerable crap that is one small action away from being sentenced to death. Its too bad to, because Visceral is a good developer but because of EA they wont get any of the praise that they deserve.

sure, i usually do that by saying "reload" to reload my weapon.
even when i dont have a xbox and this kinect, which i hear only bad thing off, i would never use it even on my pc. buttons are still faster then yelling out what i want. besides, i dint even bother to get part 2 since part 1 was boring and repetitive.

"do what you usually do". bulls***.

Yeah... Sure... "You can scream 'I need ammo!'", Heck you can scream that at the headset can't you? Or does that STEAL ammo from you buddy? Anyway... No, just, no.

You know what? I am actually really happy this gimmick was introduced for Dead Space 3. Not because I hate the game, I'm very apathetic towards it, nor because I enjoy it, since I don't plan to buy it. Just because this will lead to ceaseless hilarity as you have friends in your room yell "FIND OBJECTIVE" just as you go up against a creature. Well hilarity that ceases in a room splatter with blood, with the phrase "FIND OBJECTIVE" written on the wall in said blood over and over again.

Joccaren:

Kurt Cristal:

As said though, traditional headphones. No need for a specific peripheral, just use the Mic in the headset the player has plugged in instead of Kinect. In doing so, voice commands work over all platforms instead of just on the Xbox as well. There is honestly no reason to use the Kinect exclusively for this other than plastering it on the box.

I was being a tad satirical there. Yes, adding voice commands to the standard microphone/bluetooth for Xbox devices would be a good solution. But why do that when you can MONETIZE IT? Har. That's what I was getting at. They won't choose the sensible option.

NLS:
"Switching over to my"/"It's time for"/"Get ready for the" [Insert weapon name here]

Didn't R6 Vegas 2 do what you're suggesting, what 5 years ago? And with the standard platform mics, not some fancy motion sensor thing, too. It's amazing how much effort this industry puts into stagnating itself.

Samantha Burt:

NLS:

Didn't R6 Vegas 2 do what you're suggesting, what 5 years ago? And with the standard platform mics, not some fancy motion sensor thing, too. It's amazing how much effort this industry puts into stagnating itself.

Yeah, I remember trying that out. Don't remember much about how well it worked though. But what I do remember, is that even Unreal Torunament 2004 had it almost 9 years ago, but with the same kind of robotic "DElta. Cover.. me." or "Beta. Attack. Objective". What I'd really like to see though, is voice commands that actually feel like you're in the action yelling out in desperation, and not trying to command a tank crew through radio 5 kilometers away. It needs a lot more polish than it's current state, not only on the technical side of voice recognition, but also when it comes to actually immersing the player with commands that sound believable.
This is what I want to see, and even though the Kinect may somewhat have improved the voice recognition slightly on the technical side, the implementation is still far away from *THAT* feeling of being in the game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here