See the First Image of a Giant Squid 2,000 Feet Underwater

Pages PREV 1 2

I don't want to sound like a dick but it isn't as big as I thought it would be.

When I heard giant squid I thought of a marine-behemoth that could have taken out the Titanic.

Well not that big but you get the picture.

Japan found them, now comes the hunting and giant tentacles in the local restaurants. :-)

It is also known as Harbinger, the vanguard of our destruction...

They better be careful. They're going to wake Gojirra...

Imagine being in the same a few meters away from that in the water....Fuck.

Quaxar:
At one part I misread and for a moment seriously thought this was about huge underwater squirrels.

That would be freakin awesome though...

UNDERWATER GIANT SQUIRREL GIRL ATTACK!

Haunting, mysterious, scary, beautiful, alien, bizarre.

The underwater world is so beautiful.

Just imagine. You, in a small submarine, in the world of eternal night, floating silently in the darkness, alone. Suddenly, this thing swims in your view.

The mixture of fear, awe and curiosity. How would you describe that?

Now for the Colossal squids.

There is nothing that both terrifies me and intrigues me more than the deep sea, so this is awesome.

Whow, I never actually thought one would be alive .. this is incredible.

Earth has so many mysteries to be solved still, and I bet we haven't even discovered over 50% of what lies under the dark depths of the sea. We're starting to get the tech to go deeper under pressure.. so I wonder what else we'll end up finding?

.. Oh.

Quaxar:
At one part I misread and for a moment seriously thought this was about huge underwater squirrels.

this is funnier because your picture is pinkie pie
i just want you to know that

I was stupid enough to misread the title and thought that the squid was 2000 feet long :D
I was severely disappointed just moments later.
But still, it's quite small, show me one the size of a whale, then it's going to be at least somewhat exciting.

Awesome. I always nerd out a little for this sort of thing. Real or Cryptozoology. I think the latter's generally nonsense, but it sparks my imagination.

kajinking:
8 meters...so 26 feet? That's pretty big. Now all that's left to do is find bigfoot!

He's crashing on my couch. Do you need him for something?

Greg Tito:
many zoologists thought the giant squid was just a story sailors told like mermaids and sirens

Man that's pretty impressive if they saw a siren. There's only six in the entire universe you know!

Jokes aside this is pretty remarkable stuff. Anyone know if and when they'll air it in the UK?

That's pretty awesome. I was hoping for something bigger, like 20 feet or something, but still pretty cool. Also...

Fearzone:

2. Why did it take so long?

The ocean is very big, very deep, and very dark. And I mean very.

Anyway, yeah, this is way cool that we've finally seen a healthy one alive. Hell, I remember when the first live one was caught on film, and that too was awesome.

Jesus Christ, the ocean is like another planet sometimes.

Alright, marine biologists, here's your next objective: Live footage of a giant squid and sperm whale fighting each other. Make it happen.

6urk17s:

Just in case anybody thought you were joking...

OT: That's cool. Now, I wonder when we'll find out what made The Bloop?

The squid they found sounds pretty small,compared to other large marine life, and half of it was tentacles.

"It is in the most dangerous places that beauty hides."

So freaking true. As much as I'd like to see it in an aquarium, I think that this guy should stay where he is. Now we've definitely got to go deeper. >:-D

ShirowShirow:
Freakin' wicked. The world is awesome, isn't it?

Yes, yes it is. A video was made just for this

They even mention the Giant Squid in that, how perfect!

OhJohnNo:

6urk17s:

Just in case anybody thought you were joking...

OT: That's cool. Now, I wonder when we'll find out what made The Bloop?

Just to give even more proof something like this exists..

http://scienceblogs.com/zooillogix/2007/03/22/new-zealand-scientists-may-mic/

Wow. Nature is amazing, ain't it? Now if only they can actually prove whether or not Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster exist...

I think that's god's way of telling us to stay the hell out of the ocean.

Greg Tito:
...Japanese public broadcaster NHK...

It's a conspiracy! It's all a consiracy between the squid and the NHK! They're in it together to take over the world!!!

That's a lot of calamari.

Anyone got 100 pounds of rice?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook