Pokémon X and Y Add a Z-Axis

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Pokémon X and Y Add a Z-Axis

Make room in your Pokedex for the sixth generation.

Put on your trainer's caps and get ready to catch 'em all over again - Nintendo has announced the next pair of games in the main Pokémon series. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will be coming to the 3DS, and rather than waste that whole third dimension, the series is making the jump to fully-rendered 3D environments for both the overworld and in battles. An announcement trailer provides a first look at the new style, as well as showing off this generation's batch of starter Pokémon.

The battle system looks to be the most notable departure from the norm. While 3D Pokémon battles date back to Pokémon Stadium, they've never been a part of the handheld gaming series. Fortunately, it doesn't appear that the new looks will impact the flow of gameplay (unlike the console games, which always seemed to spend a little too much time showing off their animations). Likewise, the new graphics do little to change the traditional non-combat gameplay: movement still appears to be grid-based, though some interesting level design mixes things up. The video gives us a glimpse of swinging from ropes, bouncing on giant spider webs, and some kind of arena filled with pyrotechnics. It can't be argued that the new look doesn't lend the series new depths (pun absolutely intended).

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y are slated to hit shelves this October in Japan... and, actually, everywhere else. X and Y will be released simultaneously worldwide - a series first. In the meantime, you can start thinking about which starter to choose. Just a heads up, though: if you don't pick Froakie, you're wrong.

There have been at least 4 conversations of this on the Game forum... I'm surprised you didn't pick this up sooner...

Still, Pokemon X and Y look pretty neat, but I'm pretty much done with Pokemon. Maybe I'll get it, I dunno...

X & Y? Was Marketing on holiday and they forgot to ask them for real names when they got back?

Seriously though, Black & White 1 were solid. I still haven't gotten around to playing 2 but if this one follows in their shoes I'll be more than happy to waste even more time catching increasingly bizarre Pokemans.

Here's hoping the fire starter doesn't evolve into a Fire/Fighting type again though.

Takes a while for news posts to get on here, don't it?

I'm pretty sure half the pokefans on the internet have already started 'squeeeeeeeee'ing over Fennekin, given how much fan art there is of it.

"Z-axis"

Suddenly my pants are very warm.

You know, if they had upped the graphics, stuck it on the WiiU....That might have convinced me to get the WiiU and this game.

Very clever title with the Z axis. I can't wait to play a fully 3D pokemon game.

It's a little odd both legendaries are in the shape of a Y.

nasteypenguin:
It's a little odd both legendaries are in the shape of a Y.

I think I heard that the titles are actually based on Chromosomes.
Could be wrong of course.

And it only took em twenty years. About time, says I. Good first step Nintendo. Now all you have to do is hire some writers instead of having your programmers make stuff up and then I'll care about your games again.

Falterfire:
X & Y? Was Marketing on holiday and they forgot to ask them for real names when they got back?

So what else could they have called it? Rust and Gravel?

Besides it looks like the names have some story significance.

Falterfire:

People are arguing that the third game would inevitably be called Pokemon Z, giving X,Y and Z, the 3 planes for 3D, what with this being the first 3DS game and all.

OT: Definitely excited for this. But the completionist in my is going to go crazy trying to catch 'em all. That'll be anyone between 700-800 'Mons in all likelhood.

Well, guess it's time to get a 3DS. All I really use my Nintendo handhelds for is pokemon and Kirby.

I'm a simple man with simple tastes.

Falterfire:

I'm guessing it's reffering to "XYZ" which is the three dimensions of movement thing. Which is actually kind of neat.

Im liking the aesthetics, still maintaining the old look. All im worried about is the new monz, Black and White was a serious mixed bag of good (Gavantula, Serperior, Scolipede), bad (Trubbish, Vanillish, Pansear) and down right UGLY (Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh). Heres hoping they put abit more effort into the designs this time around, hell just hold a fan competition, some fakemon on DA are easily as good as the cannon-mon.

Heres hoping Froakie will evolve to have a banging tash, granted we already have Samurott, a Frog with a tash would be legend.

Just got back from work to find out about this on the Guardian website...

Holyfuckinghellshitgodjesussonofagoddamn!

I've been pretty content to just pootle around with Emerald on my old GBA, but I might actually need to upgrade to a 3DS to get this game. The visual upgrade alone looks amazing. The Pokemon Stadium battle style, with a fully open world to explore and pokemon to catch and uuuuuuggghhhhhffffffshhhhhtttttt!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I am excite.

Also, I simply adore in the full release video the way that Iwata clearly isn't all that familiar with speaking English, yet still battles on for the best part of ten minutes to speak it anyway. I don't think he mentions anywhere that he was personally involved in the Pokemon series. He wrote the battle code for Stadium, and was responsible for compressing the data for Gold/Silver (and allowing the developers to squeeze in the entire Kanto continent as a result). Meh, tangent. Yay, 3D Pokemon!!!

Good cross between the stadium 3D style with the current Pokemon style with some shell shading mixed in to smooth out the models. I'd need to see it in action in person before I can make a final judgment, but I'm calling this a good step up.

That said, it appears they forgot to replace the working subtitles...

*sigh* still not gonna put this on consoles? with online capability? really? not gonna show off that HD support? it's not like the 3DS is hurting for games and sales. unlike you know that brand new console you just released and and are still trying to find 3rd party developers for...

... YES I WILL BUY IT! THAT IS NOT THE POINT!

Z-Axis? You mean they're putting Nazi zombies in a pokemon game? SWEET!

Since this is called X and Y, I have a question:

If X and Y ARE referring to chromosomes and assuming the X deer is female and the Y flyer is male, does this mean whatever villian team is in this is plotting to breed those two Legends to create some kind of uber Pokémon?

CAPTCHA: white elephant

You mean the one that's in the room right now?

It's funny, I thought I was done with pokemon. It turns out that I was mistaken and I am eagerly waiting these games.

GamemasterAnthony:
Since this is called X and Y, I have a question:

If X and Y ARE referring to chromosomes and assuming the X deer is female and the Y flyer is male, does this mean whatever villian team is in this is plotting to breed those two Legends to create some kind of uber Pokémon?

No, that would be a freaking awesome plot but the name is about the X, Y and Z axis (In other words, 3D)

X + Y breed to make Z...

Aw, now you made me excited for a plot that will not be in the game (there is an impossibly slim chance it could happen though...)

PunkRex:
Im liking the aesthetics, still maintaining the old look. All im worried about is the new monz, Black and White was a serious mixed bag of good (Gavantula, Serperior, Scolipede), bad (Trubbish, Vanillish, Pansear) and down right UGLY (Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh). Heres hoping they put abit more effort into the designs this time around, hell just hold a fan competition, some fakemon on DA are easily as good as the cannon-mon.

Heres hoping Froakie will evolve to have a banging tash, granted we already have Samurott, a Frog with a tash would be legend.

Actually from the looks of it Nintendo might not even make a new region full of new pokemon and just use existing ones.

My bet is for about 50-60 Gen 6 pokemon and the other 200 or so to be from the massive backlog that the series already has.
I mean unless they had a smaller seperate team working on Black and White 2 they've only got about a year to work on this game so a new set of 'mons seems unlikely, that or they all look like crap :/

PunkRex:
Im liking the aesthetics, still maintaining the old look. All im worried about is the new monz, Black and White was a serious mixed bag of good (Gavantula, Serperior, Scolipede), bad (Trubbish, Vanillish, Pansear) and down right UGLY (Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh, Sawk and Throh).

To each their own I suppose, the only one that I thought was downright silly was the Vanillish line, the rest felt like a refreshing return to Gen 1&2's simpler designs; Sawk, Throh, and Trubbish were easily in my top five. Heck, I only picked up Gen 5 because the roster of monsters didn't look like a zoo had collided with a Final Fantasy game.

OT: Hmm, the starters look alright. We've already got the Vulpix->Ninetails line so the fire starter feels redundant, out of the three the grass starter piques my interest the most. Still it took them quite a while to make the transition to a three dimensional overworld, but by the looks of it though it's going to pay off in 3D battles that aren't near as boring as the ones from the stadium series. Provided the roster of monsters doesn't look stupid (Gen 4 stupid) I may have to pick this up when it comes out. Unfortunately I can probably already assume any multiplayer/global trading function that's built in is going to suck. (If they'd just let you search for monsters that you don't already have in your pokedex it would be a huge improvement)

I have not played a Pokemon game since blue, but I love my 3DS so now might be the time! I dread to think what's changed...

Josh12345:

PunkRex:

Actually from the looks of it Nintendo might not even make a new region full of new pokemon and just use existing ones.

My bet is for about 50-60 Gen 6 pokemon and the other 200 or so to be from the massive backlog that the series already has.
I mean unless they had a smaller seperate team working on Black and White 2 they've only got about a year to work on this game so a new set of 'mons seems unlikely, that or they all look like crap :/

Well it's still months away and they've probably been working on it in parallel with B/W2 since B/W shipped (like they did with HG/SS and B/W) I expect there'll be about a hundred new 'mons, but only time will tell.

The environments remind me of XD:GOD on the GameCube. There were other games than the stadiums on consoles...

Every iteration of Pokémon has seen my interest drop a little, but this has certainly caught my eye. Reckon this will be a preorder job.

Cognimancer:
... In the meantime, you can start thinking about which starter to choose. Just a heads up, though: if you don't pick Froakie, you're wrong.

My Fennekin will beg to disagree ;) hehehe :P I'm actually excited for this news and can't wait to buy 'X' ^_^

Why, oh why does this have to be on the 3DS...?

Bolt-206:
Takes a while for news posts to get on here, don't it?

I'm pretty sure half the pokefans on the internet have already started 'squeeeeeeeee'ing over Fennekin, given how much fan art there is of it.

There's already fanart of Fennekin?

OT: I guess I'm buying a 3DS soon.

Although it looks like a "Y" in the video, I'm pretty sure the deer is supposed to be the X.

Eclipse Dragon:

I'm pretty sure there was a metric ton of Zorua fan art the moment THAT was revealed.
Heck, I even saw a short (loop) animation of Fennekin a while ago too (the internet works faster than you think).

Fire type fennec fox?
Yes please.
Seriously, fennecs are already some of the cutest things on the planet. Light that sucker up. I want to burninate things adorably.

Bolt-206:

Eclipse Dragon:

I'm pretty sure there was a metric ton of Zorua fan art the moment THAT was revealed.
Heck, I even saw a short (loop) animation of Fennekin a while ago too (the internet works faster than you think).

Man people work fast...

I can't wait for people to whine about how this is the worst Pokemon game ever.

Oh wait, it's already started.

What a surprise.

Sweet! I'll have to look into this... even though I need a 3DS first... and haven't got around to playing Pokemon Black/White yet. Oh boy, this is gonna take a while...

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here