Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Goes on Transhumanist Rampage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

UnderGlass:
Pretty adolescent stuff to be honest and a bit disappointing as far as tone goes. Still, their environment artists deserve a pay-raise. The attention to the details like the 80s influenced color scheme and the spinners made me very very happy. Overall I'm still excited for the game even if I'm pretty neutral on the teaser.

I agree. The whole thing felt like one of those old newgrounds flash animations on a huge budget.

havoc33:

Scorpid:
Well... That told us nothing except for mood and setting... and I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD NOW v_v. Cyber Punk is one of the most underused genres in the game industry which makes absolutely no sense because it's so perfectly translatable for it. Big showy set pieces, easy to relate to plot devices, stat progression with augmetics, action and conflict everywhere you look. I hope this is the game that kicks it off, because Syndicate and the Shadowrun FPS's weren't at all.

HardRockSamurai:
The teaser did a good job at getting me intrigued, so I'm definitely looking forward to a trailer that tells us more about the plot, the characters, and, most importantly, shows us some gameplay. So yeah, I've got high hopes that this game comes through.

Also, and this may just be me because I'm a graphic designer and actually care about this crap, but am I the only one who thinks that the title font for this game looks awesome! OK, maybe the "P" looks wee bit like an "F" (I keep reading it as "CyberFunk") but who gives a damm! Look at it! It's freaking radical! Right?

I want this font for my welcome mat. Seriously.

That font is pure 80's cheese with a slight modern twist with the 2077 so I suppose it shows they don't intend to ignore the 80's roots of Cyberpunk. It does look good to me.

That logo is FRESH. And I loved the trailer. Rarely does a no-gameplay video excite me, but this one got my attention.

Good times ahead for cyberpunk fans, isn't it? This, Shadowrun Returns, Remember Me and Watch Dogs? Hot damn! As a matter of fact, to get into the proper mood, I think I'm gonna do something I should have done years ago - buy myself a copy of Shadowrun on the SNES(I only rented it back in the day, and never could finish it).

Sega version is better though! I remember it as the first video game I played that wasn't a cutesy fun game like Sonic or Mario games. Blew me away... and I also rented it every chance I got for like 2 years. =D

grey_space:
Looks good.

I enjoyed both Witchers, the first one on PC the second on xbox.

Please come out in 2013 because all I'm looking forward to in Bioshock!

Looks fun.

I enjoyed both Metal Gear Solids, the first one on PS and the second on PS2.

-This looks like it could be a Deus Ex/EYE style game, I just hope they are able to pull it off in the polish department. Eye seems like a great game but due to the interface I just have no idea what I'm doing whenever I go back and try to play it.

AxelxGabriel:
Aw man :( Why Cyberpunk 2020 instead of Shadowrun?

Why Cyberpunk 2020 over all the other Dark Distopian near future scifi universes?

I never considered Shadow Run a pure Cyberpunk scifi since the original table top game plays more like a Blade Runner meets Lord of the Rings than it does a more pure scifi concept like Ghost in the Shell or Deus Ex Machina.
Everyone tends to forget along side cyborgs and Riggers are magicians with Elves, trolls goblins and dwarfs about.

From the trailer Cyber Punk 2077 feels like the files of the AD Police (spin off of the series Bubble Gum Criss)

That was one of the less interesting trailers I've had to sit through...I initially closed it after about twenty seconds, (music, slow-motion - ew), then read some comments by people who were apparently wow-ed by it, decided to watch the entire thing and my initial reaction did not change at all. Did not know about it before this...and am attempting to still not know about it now!

Elijah Newton:

FelixG:

LiquidGrape:
Gun fetishism and sexism - the logical next step in CDPR's "mature" line of games.

Yay for sensationalists!

There is nothing particular in this trailer that is sexist. And this isnt gun fetishism, so, yeah, nice post!

I'm in the weird position of disagreeing with both of you. The only thing more present than the sexism is the ridonkulous gun fetishism. But if they nail this - really nail it - than both these elements absolutely should be present and played up. So let's not be so snooty about 'mature' , mmkay? I'll agree that while mature content in games tends to be a heads up for juvenile giggle-fests at boobs and violence, there is a place for what this trailer shows in a game called "Cyberpunk."

A massive theme in cyberpunk literature was the commodification of everything and blurring the boundaries between organic and not-organic. The body was not some sacred thing beyond modfication, it was just another thing, another tool. It is clear Ms. SmallClothes with the armored face has had more than a little augmentation, 'weaponizing' her beauty. (as opposed to, say, putting her brain in a considerably less sexy tank). That's indisputably sexist. Doesn't mean it's bad, though - if the game is following through with the cyberpunk themes then in the context it could be wholly appropriate.

By the same token, while the gun fetishism is badly timed from a US pop-culture perspective, I don't think sensationalizing it with 'oh noes' is appropriate. Again, in this genre everything is commodified and lines are blurred between non-organic and organic so giving an inorganic thing (guns) properties of organic things (sexual qualities) works pretty damn well. The art-film snob in me looks at how this scene was composed and what I see is so questionably appropriate that I think I'm going to hide it behind the convenient spoiler tag...

That could be skating on some metaphorically thin ice, so let's take fetishism as slang for 'exceptional attention to detail', in which case the close ups on the guns, the slow motion ejection of cartridges, the beauty of bullets spinning through the air singly and in formation, etc etc. It's not like this is the only game to ever do this but all that stuff? Yes, gun fetishism the same way Forza pushes car fetishism.

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.

Needless to say, I'm really hoping this game lives up to its potential.

Wait...a...minute...

...Intelligent discourse? On the escapist?! Tis truly the end of days, repent, repent!

Erm, right-o!

After reading your snobby art-film spoiler of pretentiousness ( :P ) and re-watching the trailer I will concede your point that it is quite fetishism towards the guns, but I maintain that it is still not sexist.

This woman is in no way the target of discrimination, she is beautiful yes, and in a swimsuit, but she is also undeniably powerful, she can kill a TON of people, is immune to the fire of the police attacking her, and she is a cut above everyone else as we see at the end she overcame her augmentation psychosis to become part of the elite. There are sexist elements with her patronizing her beauty and clothing choice, but over all I would not label her depiction or the trailer as a whole as sexist.

FFP2:
Even though I knew beforehand that this was CG when I first saw the lady's face I thought it was real.

I hope it isn't a PC exclusive...

Interesting point, the Witcher 2 was for a while. Maybe they will follow that route, PC version then a hacked down console port.

The proper way to do stuff :)

Res Plus:

Interesting point, the Witcher 2 was for a while. Maybe they will follow that route, PC version then a hacked down console port.

The console version isn't bad! I just ordered it from Amazon:(

FFP2:

Res Plus:

The console version isn't bad! I just ordered it from Amazon:(

I was only messing, the Xbox Witcher 2 is a phenomenal achievement! Looks cracking. You are in for a treat, tis a good game.

FelixG:

I dunno about you, but I would love some wrist blades :P

but why?

what good is it other than stabing people and be the favorite guest at thanksgiving parties?

and the little good thing that came out of kayne and lynch was that you learned you shouldnt have a partner during firefights with mental issues.

AxelxGabriel:

At least it's a unique concept, mixing both magic and technology. Better then just being a knock off of Deus Ex or Ghost in the Shell like Cyberpunk 2020

i must have overseen the magic part....

darksakul:

AxelxGabriel:

Why Cyberpunk 2020 over all the other Dark Distopian near future scifi universes?

I never considered Shadow Run a pure Cyberpunk scifi since the original table top game plays more like a Blade Runner meets Lord of the Rings than it does a more pure scifi concept like Ghost in the Shell or Deus Ex Machina.
Everyone tends to forget along side cyborgs and Riggers are magicians with Elves, trolls goblins and dwarfs about.

From the trailer Cyber Punk 2077 feels like the files of the AD Police (spin off of the series Bubble Gum Criss)

At least it's a unique concept, mixing both magic and technology. Better then just being a knock off of Deus Ex or Ghost in the Shell like Cyberpunk 2020

rhizhim:

FelixG:

but why?

what good is it other than stabing people and be the favorite guest at thanksgiving parties?

and the little good thing that came out of kayne and lynch was that you learned you shouldnt have a partner during firefights with mental issues.

Well it sure is a convenient way to deal with people who cut in lines?

Plus do you know how many times I have wanted to open a box or package and only had a PEN to do the job with? Annoying as shit that is! Wrist blades are the answer!

FelixG:

Wait...a...minute...

...Intelligent discourse? On the escapist?! Tis truly the end of days, repent, repent!

*laughing* Ok, awesome lead in. And you make good points, too.

My comments were indeed based on the beauty and clothing choice (though her submissive, kneeling posture is worth mention). Your arguments suggests this kind of sexism is nullified because she's not a victim, I think? That, in itself, is a whole other barrel of monkeys that I suspect could be argued ad nauseum* - but I get your drift.

On a totally different note : I think it's neat you saw her as having overcome her augmentation psychosis while I watched the same footage and figured she'd been co-opted (hired, hacked or intimidated) into becoming part of the oppressing force. Wouldn't it be something if the final game was as open to interpretation?

* and frequently is with superheroines in comic books

Elijah Newton:

FelixG:

Wait...a...minute...

*laughing* Ok, awesome lead in. And you make good points, too.

My comments were indeed based on the beauty and clothing choice (though her submissive, kneeling posture is worth mention). Your arguments suggests this kind of sexism is nullified because she's not a victim, I think? That, in itself, is a whole other barrel of monkeys that I suspect could be argued ad nauseum* - but I get your drift.

On a totally different note : I think it's neat you saw her as having overcome her augmentation psychosis while I watched the same footage and figured she'd been co-opted (hired / hacked or intimidated) into becoming part of the oppressing force. Wouldn't it be something if the final game was as open to interpretation?

* and frequently is with superheroines in comic books

Hmm upon watching the trailer (yet again) I didnt catch that she was actually kneeling, at the first and second glances I had thought she was crouching, like she was getting ready to strike. Nice catch.

On the second note that is rather neat, kind of gives it a whole syndicate vibe in a way to it how they abducted folk to turn into their goons.

FelixG:

rhizhim:

FelixG:

but why?

Well it sure is a convenient way to deal with people who cut in lines?

Plus do you know how many times I have wanted to open a box or package and only had a PEN to do the job with? Annoying as shit that is! Wrist blades are the answer!

yeah, because it clearly worked for the girl in the trailer.
well, better get in shape or you wont get hired in the end by the police.
they want ripped, shirtless, steathy and psychopatic peacekeepers.

Looks to be fun. It'll be interesting to see what the actual game is like; any idea on when there might be some gameplay?

Res Plus:

I was only messing, the Xbox Witcher 2 is a phenomenal achievement! Looks cracking. You are in for a treat, tis a good game.

I had it on PC but couldn't get past the prologue before dying of boredom.

That and it ran at 14fps on my laptop...

UnderGlass:

Saviordd1:

UnderGlass:
Pretty adolescent stuff to be honest and a bit disappointing as far as tone goes. Still, their environment artists deserve a pay-raise. The attention to the details like the 80s influenced color scheme and the spinners made me very very happy. Overall I'm still excited for the game even if I'm pretty neutral on the teaser.

Well it's supposed to be at least partially YOUTHFUL (Thus the term "punk") but honestly, what's so sophomoric about it?

Baresark:
I'm honestly curious about what was adolescent in that trailer?

Edit: OT (forgot this but): Not that I wasn't already interested in the game, but this is a cool teaser. It's deep and works on a couple of levels. The juxtaposition of the action against the slow motion is always effective, IMO. The music was appropriate and it was interesting to see the... what I can only describe as the look of welcome acceptance the events are over, and perhaps the characters pain in what has transpired. It really only makes me a bit more mad that we probably aren't going to see the game this year.

It's no drama, I actually thought the clip was very stylish. Particularly well brought out in the environmental details. The cyborg stripper just felt a little cheap to me though and bullet-time is a bit of a cliche as well. Don't misunderstand; I played and love the original Cyberpunk p&p and love the series. I also still own the 2020 rulebook and clearly remember the illustration this is based on. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the teaser but the execution threw it off a little for me.

Btw Baresark, I also appreciated the little look of resignation she gives as movement resumes. I did think that was subtly done.

She wasn't a stripper, I think she just got out of a surgery (in which case that clothing is TOO conservative)

ok if this some other developer this would do nothing for me but since i am in love with the developers here and love the scenario this got me really hyped.
also, is it implied that the special unit is made up of former psychos? because that sound like the setup for a predictable "end of second act plot twist" that leaves you hunting your former partners.

Saviordd1:
She wasn't a stripper, I think she just got out of a surgery (in which case that clothing is TOO conservative)

Well we'd both be guessing of course, but it's maybe a little naive to think post-op is the real narrative reason she's dressed in her underwear here.

Looks good. It'd be great if the game was based around the main character's slow descent into full-blown cyberpsychosis, but I'd still be down with a more traditionally minded storyline.

FFP2:

Res Plus:

I had it on PC but couldn't get past the prologue before dying of boredom.

That and it ran at 14fps on my laptop...

It is initially somewhat... oblique. The enhanced edition is meant to be more accessible with a tutorial. It isn't. Once you get through the first 2 or 3 hours of being allowed to play for 5 minutes then made to watch a cut scene for 15 mins it opens up and is great. The engine is pretty resource intensive, my PC can just about hack ultra now. There is a setting called multi-sampling which is a cruel joke created to melt graphics cards. Hope you get on better with it this time!

IamLEAM1983:
Not sold on Mister Popped Collar but - eh. We'll probably get the option to switch armour styles.

Other than that, looks pretty cool. It's kind of weird, but I've always liked games with a Humanity counter that can take hits (Vampire, Cyberpunk 2020). I like when you're pushed low enough that options that would make sense for most people become plainly unavoidable. Like your social skills are shutting down and the GM doesn't let you react in a reasonably sedate manner.

well good news, from what I heard both mister google face and miss deadly arms are NPC you can encounter. Your character is gonna follow rpg character creation standards, aka ya get to pick gender name and appearance yaself.

RobfromtheGulag:

grey_space:
Looks good.

I enjoyed both Witchers, the first one on PC the second on xbox.

Looks fun.

I enjoyed both Metal Gear Solids, the first one on PS and the second on PS2.

-This looks like it could be a Deus Ex/EYE style game, I just hope they are able to pull it off in the polish department. Eye seems like a great game but due to the interface I just have no idea what I'm doing whenever I go back and try to play it.

Yeah A Deus Ex/Metal Gear combo by the creators of the Witcher.

You can officially colour me excited!

Oh, no gameplay footage? Thanks for wasting 1:30min of my time.

mad825:
"when it's ready"

Oh god, please god no. I beg you god, for fucks sake.

What's wrong with that statement? I love that type of line. I want a finished and polished game, not a rushed and incomplete mess like most Obsidian games.

Now if this was Valve making that statement, then I would agree with you. Most developers when they say "when it's ready", they mean maybe a year or two until release. For Valve, it's either never or over a decade long.

To anyone who didn't get it, lemme explain the thinking:

This trailer exists to assure and excite the fans of the original 80's franchise, that they are treating the property with reverance and send those people into paroxysms of product lust and social media chirping, more than to make a sell for a broad demographic. This is consistent with all CD Projekt Red's behavior: appeal directly to your core audience (mostly older, PC gamers) and *then* sell the idea to everyone else. The trailer did exactly that with a beautifully rendered artistic update on the style of the original oozing with coded fan service by way of the whole scene, the 'chromatic rock' soundtrack, the MAX TAC badge, "Night City" reports, cyber psychosis, the stylized "motion frame" that seems like one of the old covers, etc etc... You could argue that they should have made a more exciting or accessible trailer, but that's not the M.O. that their fans love them for.

They've stated a commitment to using the original pen and paper RPG rules to drive the gameplay systems and I think there's a great potential in the future-shocked cyberpsychosis to make the 'cost of humanity' point Deus Ex HR desperately wanted to make, through the push-pull mechanic of adding cybernetic parts and drugs to make your character better at a loss of EMPathy... It functions a bit like "humanity" in Vampire tM: Bloodlines or tabletop and "sanity" in CoCthulhu games, except that rather than simply running out of it through unfortunate circumstance, you are actually trying to balance it against the things that make you BETTER. I feel it's an excellent use of a mechanic to stress the importance of humanity juxtaposed in a hostile, cynical world of skeevy dog-eat-dog ethics without NECESSITATING that the game spend time having NPC's speak aloud about it, or compromising the atmosphere.

For the record, I love Deus Ex 1 and HR and I'm not trying to bash it, just offer speculation on what I think will be a great alternate take on the subject.

Despite the non-committal answer, they'd like to release it in 2014, but it will probably be delayed until 2015, given the scope of their ambition and self-published / financed approach.

AxelxGabriel:

darksakul:

AxelxGabriel:

CyberPunk 2077 which was based off Cyber Punk 2020 which is the second edition version of the game CyberPunk 2013 was a table top game published in 1988.

The original Ghost in the Shell Manga was not published until 1989.
The first Deus Ex game came out in 2000
Shadow Run was First Published in 1989

Only 2 that predate Cyberpunk was
Blade Runner - 1982 and
Bubble Gum Crisis - 1987 (and the West would not know the manga exist for almost a decade).

Cyberpunk was the game that name it's sub genera of Scifi.
Saying CyberPunk 2077 copied Ghost in the Shell and Shadow Runner is like accusing the Hobbit of coping Harry Potter.
Like saying The Princess of Mars copied Star Wars and The Nosferatu copied the Twilight Saga.

If this is as good as I think it is Im going to be all"This is how its done bioware!" and rub it in the face of my mass effect loving friends!

Im really excited!

Initial thoughts on trailer without reading anything about it:

A)I learned nothing about this game. I have never even heard of this franchise, & I've been a gamer since 94.
B)Very artsy ::clapclap::
C)I want to see trailer B where the Hookerbots cut up Swat members. Do you get to choose which side you play?
D)Showing cutscenes instead of actual gameplay can only end in disappointment.

Reminds me of the Samaritan demo. I hope it wont be a forgettable mediocrity like Deus Ex.

Beautiful, intriguing, really liked the look and feel, laughed at "when it's ready". Definitely one to keep an eye on :)

The girl is suposed to be Alt Cunningham, a netrunner (hacker) kidnapped and killed by evil Corporation Araska. Her mind/memory managed to escape "free" back to the net, though. (this is from PnP Cybepunk 2020).

From what we've seen so far and what Mike Pondsmith and CDPRED hinted some months ago, this girl in the trailer is a Cyborg version of her (with razor-blade hands added :P).

THE TWIST in the end is that instead of killing her, the PSICHO COPS decide to instead recruite her. :P

darksakul:

AxelxGabriel:

darksakul:

CyberPunk 2077 which was based off Cyber Punk 2020 which is the second edition version of the game CyberPunk 2013 was a table top game published in 1988.

The original Ghost in the Shell Manga was not published until 1989.
The first Deus Ex game came out in 2000
Shadow Run was First Published in 1989

Only 2 that predate Cyberpunk was
Blade Runner - 1982 and
Bubble Gum Crisis - 1987 (and the West would not know the manga exist for almost a decade).

Cyberpunk was the game that name it's sub genera of Scifi.
Saying CyberPunk 2077 copied Ghost in the Shell and Shadow Runner is like accusing the Hobbit of coping Harry Potter.
Like saying The Princess of Mars copied Star Wars and The Nosferatu copied the Twilight Saga.

Fine. My point is, Shadowrun is at least a more unique twist on the cyberpunk genre. Exchange the names between Cyberpunk, Deus Ex and Ghost in the shell and such and you really wouldn't have that much difference in content.

hazabaza1:
As I said in the thread in the forums-titties and gore, certainly is CD Projekt Red.

Still, I won't say that I'm not interested in this. I just hope that they can get a voice actor for the protagonist who can emote more than a fucking brick made out of potato.
Fucking Geralt, seriously.

Well, in defense of Geralt he is badass-motherfucker-beast-slaying-zero-fuck-giving-witcher who have seen it all and done almost all.
Even if his memory is mostly missing (due to some brain damage and being dead), his personality and attitude is mostly the same. And voice actor did a good job on showing such personality.

But yes, I hope protagonist of Cyberpunk2077 will have different personality than Geralt (at least at the beginning when empathy level is still high enough)
Also, anyone else wants to have female protagonist?

Edit: One more thing. If this game runs on even more improved engine of Witcher2 (forgot the name) then the game on Ultra graphical setting might look almost as good as this trailer :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here