Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Goes on Transhumanist Rampage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

blackrave:

hazabaza1:
As I said in the thread in the forums-titties and gore, certainly is CD Projekt Red.

Still, I won't say that I'm not interested in this. I just hope that they can get a voice actor for the protagonist who can emote more than a fucking brick made out of potato.
Fucking Geralt, seriously.

Well, in defense of Geralt he is badass-motherfucker-beast-slaying-zero-fuck-giving-witcher who have seen it all and done almost all.
Even if his memory is mostly missing (due to some brain damage and being dead), his personality and attitude is mostly the same. And voice actor did a good job on showing such personality.

So he does a good job at being a half-dead retard?
I can see why CDPR is so well renowned.

FFP2:
Even though I knew beforehand that this was CG when I first saw the lady's face I thought it was real.

I hope it isn't a PC exclusive...

Don't worry, if it isn't, you won't have to worry about having graphics like that on your primitive console.

Nice trailer, I like it. Like the setting too. About time for some nice cyberpunk. Hope it's not just some wannabe shmup like Hard Reset.

I hope we'' be able to make our own main character, like the pen and paper Cyberpunk game that was the inspiration for this.

poiumty:
Nice trailer, I like it. Like the setting too. About time for some nice cyberpunk. Hope it's not just some wannabe shmup like Hard Reset.

I got that game on the Steam sale, it's been okay so far. What makes it a wannabe shump?

hazabaza1:

I wouldn't use these words, but yes something along these lines (especially that half-dead part)
And his "half-dead retard" act is consistent
It would be far worse if voice actor tried to act emotionally
Geralt just isn't very emotional guy (or emotional at all)

hazabaza1:

No, a brain-damaged, back-from-the-dead witcher, which, while it's been a long time since I've played either of the games, I think has a lot to do with the distance and monotony of the character.

I refuse to jump on a game's bandwagon because of a cinematic trailer, but my person code of conduct on these matters says nothing about giving it a closer look and keeping tabs on it. Hell, I wasn't sold on Dishonored until they released the dual gameplay samples.

That being said, CDPR makes some damn fine games, and I like that they're sticking to the "feel" of classic cyberpunk (including the degradation of humanity that comes with too much augmentation). I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Don't get me wrong Human Revolution was fun, but hardly my idea of pure cyberpunk.

New video of fucking Mike Pondsmith talking about the game... IS UP!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima

SO far, so good, but these prerendered teaser trailers rarely offer an accurate look at the finished game. How long's it been Cyberpunk 2020? And how will this be different from Deus Ex:Human Revolution?

How interesting that the granddaddy of all cyberpunk table top RPGs is finally making it to the console/PC game market. As someone who has played the original system, I am glad to see that CD Projekt RED has done the wise thing and have one of the creators of CP 2020 on board. One of the unique aspects of CP 2020 was the realism portrayed in regards to gun damage. In most tabletop RPGs (at that time) damage was determined by the weapon you used. However, since guns played a part in the genre that is cyberpunk, it made sense for R. Talasorian Games to make it as realistic as you can. So they talked to law enforcement, military types, gunsmiths, gun makers and narrowed it down into the system known as Friday Night Firefight. Now of course, when Cybergeneration came out years later with a more transhumanism/Streets of Fire feel to it, it became more cinematic.

Still, I am glad to see this return, and I am in no way surprised of this considering that Shadowrun is about to come back in a big way. I wonder if there are going to be actual classes like Solos, Fixers, Runners and the like.

Some of my alltime greatest RPG experiences came from Cyberpunk 2020 both as a GM and player. I'm a total mark for any game that let's me have a new look at good ol' Night City and it's wonderfully ultraviolent and ultrasleazy under/upperbelly.

This game is either going to be a gift from the gaming gods, or I shall curse their name for it's existence.....

George Anderson:
How interesting that the granddaddy of all cyberpunk table top RPGs is finally making it to the console/PC game market. As someone who has played the original system, I am glad to see that CD Projekt RED has done the wise thing and have one of the creators of CP 2020 on board. One of the unique aspects of CP 2020 was the realism portrayed in regards to gun damage. In most tabletop RPGs (at that time) damage was determined by the weapon you used. However, since guns played a part in the genre that is cyberpunk, it made sense for R. Talasorian Games to make it as realistic as you can. So they talked to law enforcement, military types, gunsmiths, gun makers and narrowed it down into the system known as Friday Night Firefight. Now of course, when Cybergeneration came out years later with a more transhumanism/Streets of Fire feel to it, it became more cinematic.

Still, I am glad to see this return, and I am in no way surprised of this considering that Shadowrun is about to come back in a big way. I wonder if there are going to be actual classes like Solos, Fixers, Runners and the like.

It's still early, but everything so far seems centered on the NCPD Cyberpsycho unit. Much as i'd prefer a multi class experience, I'd be just fine with that. Slightly biased, I'll admit, because I usually played a Cop class in the tabletop game :D

Also glad to see someone who also knows Cybergeneration too. Shame that one was relegated to a Big Lipped Alligator Moment in terms of Cyberpunk canon, I rather liked it.

AxelxGabriel:

Fine. My point is, Shadowrun is at least a more unique twist on the cyberpunk genre. Exchange the names between Cyberpunk, Deus Ex and Ghost in the shell and such and you really wouldn't have that much difference in content.

Did you ever read the CP 2020/2017 material? If you didn't, you got no damn place to make that assessment.

GunsmithKitten:

AxelxGabriel:

Fine. My point is, Shadowrun is at least a more unique twist on the cyberpunk genre. Exchange the names between Cyberpunk, Deus Ex and Ghost in the shell and such and you really wouldn't have that much difference in content.

Did you ever read the CP 2020/2017 material? If you didn't, you got no damn place to make that assessment.

You claim I havent read it, yet you dont even offer any examples or explanations to prove me wrong. Instead you just degrade to accusation.

AxelxGabriel:

darksakul:

AxelxGabriel:

At least it's a unique concept, mixing both magic and technology. Better then just being a knock off of Deus Ex or Ghost in the Shell like Cyberpunk 2020

CyberPunk 2077 which was based off Cyber Punk 2020 which is the second edition version of the game CyberPunk 2013 was a table top game published in 1988.

The original Ghost in the Shell Manga was not published until 1989.
The first Deus Ex game came out in 2000
Shadow Run was First Published in 1989

Only 2 that predate Cyberpunk was
Blade Runner - 1982 and
Bubble Gum Crisis - 1987 (and the West would not know the manga exist for almost a decade).

Cyberpunk was the game that name it's sub genera of Scifi.
Saying CyberPunk 2077 copied Ghost in the Shell and Shadow Runner is like accusing the Hobbit of coping Harry Potter.
Like saying The Princess of Mars copied Star Wars and The Nosferatu copied the Twilight Saga.

That's quite the accusation you're making there. I personally know nothing of cyberpunk, but there are huge differences between Ghost in the Shell and Deus Ex, especially with the way they handle transhumanism. Also there is the fact that Deus Ex also has a huge focus on conspiracies and government control, while Ghost in the Shell is more focused on a connected humanity.

AxelxGabriel:

GunsmithKitten:

AxelxGabriel:

You claim I havent read it, yet you dont even offer any examples or explanations to prove me wrong. Instead you just degrade to accusation.

Okay, you claim you have read it, easy question then; who was, as of the core rules of CP2020, CEO of Arasaka?

My whole point was, don't make claims like that until you've read it. I HAVE read almost every source of fluff availible for CP2020, a good chunk of Shadowrun, played the original Deus Ex, and read most of Shirow's work.

CaptainChip:

AxelxGabriel:

darksakul:

CyberPunk 2077 which was based off Cyber Punk 2020 which is the second edition version of the game CyberPunk 2013 was a table top game published in 1988.

Blade Runner - 1982 and
Bubble Gum Crisis - 1987 (and the West would not know the manga exist for almost a decade).

Saying CyberPunk 2077 copied Ghost in the Shell and Shadow Runner is like accusing the Hobbit of coping Harry Potter.
Like saying The Princess of Mars copied Star Wars and The Nosferatu copied the Twilight Saga.

That's quite the accusation you're making there. I personally know nothing of cyberpunk, but there are huge differences between Ghost in the Shell and Deus Ex, especially with the way they handle transhumanism. Also there is the fact that Deus Ex also has a huge focus on conspiracies and government control, while Ghost in the Shell is more focused on a connected humanity.

CP2020 doesn't deal that much in transhumanism beyond the raw mental health consequences of excessive cybernetic indulgence. It does take a rather simplistic "you just can't relate to humans too good past a certain point". Difference right there.

Also, there's the raw fact that Cyberpunk was doing it most any of the other franchises that dived into the trope well.

dont tell me this is one of those "specials vs normals" themes...I cant stand that

looks like its handles slightly different though (no I didnt actually watch the trailer my datacap cant afford it)

I'm hyped as fucked, can't wait

But I'm still glad that they're gonna take their time.

And for fuck's sake, can we not have anything nice without the fucking Privilege Police carebears yelling about how it's the epitome of evil because there's a fucking woman in her night-wear.

I mean, it's not like there could possibly be a POINT to it, now is it?

Jesus Christ

CaptainChip:

AxelxGabriel:

darksakul:

Blade Runner - 1982 and

Shadowrun goes a lot more realistic in saying that it doesn't matter how far along we get with Cybertechnology, you'll still see just how downright evil humanity can be. Transhumanism only exists in concept, not in reality. You could be the most cyborged up person in the world and more often then not, you don't give two shits about philosophy and evolution. You jsut want to get paid.

What it's basically saying is that you are still human at the core. It's just that it entails all the good and the bad that comes with it

And in all honesty, that's more realistic about what us humans would do in that same situation.

of course thats ignoring the fact that there's Magic and Dragons in Shadowrun too :p

I just hope they give some kind of justification for mental degradation beyond robot parts just make your brain stop working. That seem like such a massive cliche these days, although that's probably because it's its own trope. What do game characters make their cybernetics out of, warp energy?

Hammeroj:

hazabaza1:

No, a brain-damaged, back-from-the-dead witcher, which, while it's been a long time since I've played either of the games, I think has a lot to do with the distance and monotony of the character.

Then again, Triss was just as dull (pretty much all the other vocieactors did a really good job though) so it may just come down to good old dull protagonist boring voiceacting.

SecretNegative:

Hammeroj:

hazabaza1:

Then again, Triss was just as dull (pretty much all the other vocieactors did a really good job though) so it may just come down to good old dull protagonist boring voiceacting.

I suppose. Never saw any of the voice acting in the Witcher (2, at least) to be outstanding anyway; if it ranges from good to passable, I don't get bothered.

I think overdoing it is far worse than playing it simple. To be honest, never had a problem with male Shepard's voiceover, either.

Edit: that's not to say that I think you're wrong in thinking it's bad. If you do, you've got a reason I can agree with for it, so by all means. Just sayin' it didn't bug me.

AxelxGabriel:

You can say the same about any Spaghetti Western, Space Opera or Sword and Sorcery fantasy.
This is like accusing Lord of the Rings for being too similar to Dungeons and Dragons and the amine Slayers.
That Flash Gordon and Princess of Mars have too many similarities.

Really though who cares that the Cyber men from Dr Who and the Borg from Star Trek are the exact same concept.

The Wachowski brothers completely ripped of several anime for the Matrix including Ghost int he Shell, Dragon Ball Z, stole elements from your precious Shadow Run (notice every person in the Matrix is a Rigger) and copied lines word for word form the book Neuromancer.

So you are telling me the older more original series (Cyber Punk) is blah because a non-original series (Shadow Run) that copied their ideas from several sources (Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Cyber Punk and LOTR) is more original because they sorta combine gendas?

Next you going to tell me that the book Journey to the West is inferior to Dragon ball Z.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here