THQ Bankruptcy Has Double Fine's Attention

THQ Bankruptcy Has Double Fine's Attention

Double Fine joins the list of entities interested in THQ's assets, though possibly for different reasons.

THQ's ongoing bankruptcy proceedings have a new interested party: Tim Schafer's Double Fine, which has requested copies of the THQ bankruptcy filings. The reason for this request is, as yet, unknown.

The news comes courtesy of Distressed Debt Investing, which went on to Tweet the full bidding procedures for the January 22nd auction. When measured against the likes of Warner Brothers, Double Fine seems an unlikely buyer, but it may have an interest in some of THQ's properties.

Double Fine partnered up with THQ, back in the day, on Costume Quest and Stacking; it may be interested in the eventual fate of those games, assuming THQ still has a hand in them. For that matter there may be other THQ titles that Double Fine would be interested in picking up.

When the auction was delayed earlier this month, Distressed Debt said that part of the reason was to give interested parties more time to get involved. It also allowed THQ to be sold off bit by bit. Double Fine is only one of the parties to express an interest; there are at least ten others at the table.

Source: VG24/7

There are two likely reasons that Double Fine is doing this. First, to secure the publishing rights for Costume Quest and Stacking. They already own the ips and the publishing rights for the pc version, but I can guarantee they don't want the console publishing rights to go to anybody that isn't them. Second, they might have an unannounced project published by THQ, in which case you can bet your ass that they would want to keep an eye on anything that might affect it.

Warner Bros and Double Fine please,
Would you bring your attention to me?
For a feast for your eyes to see,
A Hardware investment catastrophe.

Poorest choices you've ever seen pilling,
Watch closely as I send you our filling,
Our knees will be on the floor,
Strapped for cash and we're begging for more.

I want everyone to think for a moment about what Saints Row would look like if Double Fine made it.
Not saying I think they'll be buying any rights but to their own IPs, this just got me thinking.
Saints Row from Tim Schaffer's point of view.

Now all we need is for Valve to also join the bidding and this whole thing can go from nightmare to dream come true.

I would trust Double Fine to let THQ make their interesting, different games. I can get behind this.

Now if only Zenimax was interested in this.
Imagine if Bethesda and Volition would work together to create some sort of Skyrim/Saints Row hybrid?

Someone make more WH40k games, please?

As long as it does not delay the release of Psychonauts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and HD Collection, I'm not worried about Double Fine.

It would be quite a shock to see Double Fine outbid Warner Bros. for the entirety of THQ, but really i doubt thier interest goes beyond salvaging the publishing rights for thier IP's.

That said i still believe Take-Two is the best choice to assimilate THQ.

Very unlikely that Double Fine is after anything other than the console publishing rights for Costume Quest and Stacking, though there is a chance that they may have had an unannounced project with THQ in the works.

Double Fine almost definitely wouldn't be after any of THQ's properties. They're too small of a developer to be able to afford the millions that these IPs will be selling for, and Double Fine prefers to create their own original properties anyway.

I know they probably can't afford it, but the idea of a South Park game done by Double Fine sounds pretty fucking amazing.

the thq situation does make me a little bit afraid for the future of saints row, what if whoever buys the rights thinks that putting their name to such a shamelessly vulgar game, is not such a good idea?

Ugh God every time I see that fucking picture of THQ with the graph it makes me so sad. Of all game companies that have closed down THQ have meant the most to me.

Carrots_macduff:
the thq situation does make me a little bit afraid for the future of saints row, what if whoever buys the rights thinks that putting their name to such a shamelessly vulgar game, is not such a good idea?

Logic would dictate, given it is one THQ property that hasn't- to be vulgar myself briefly -shit the bed, the cost is going to be HIGH. No one is going to spend the money for the SR franchise only to sit on it, if only because they'll be desperate to recover cost. So your concern shouldn't be that they won't make a return to the Row... your concern should be how horrifically the eventual buyer will do if they try and rush something out the door to make the investment worth it.

...in retrospect, this doesn't sound much better. Crap. Can I go back to your concern of them not making one? That seems less worrying.

ProtoChimp:
Ugh God every time I see that fucking picture of THQ with the graph it makes me so sad. Of all game companies that have closed down THQ have meant the most to me.

Not sure, I like THQ, but I guess 2K is more to my taste. They have a bit more diverse catalogue of games (and it's ups and downs... DNF and Bioshock both were published by them, as well as Borderlands, XCOM and the Civ games. Go figure).

WAIT A MINUTE!
A merger between THQ and 2K! Now that would be completely totally awesome! Oh wait... Saints Row 4 made by the people behind DNF.. eeehhh....... or a new Bioshock made by Volition... not sure.......

DVS BSTrD:

I tip my hat to you sir, you win all of the internet

Double fine real talk, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Sequel, remake, HD port. I don't care what, I just want it.

I think Double Fine just wants ownership over the stuff they made with THQ. Which is possible if they are open about just wanting that.

As long as they make Saints Row IV, at this point I don't care who owns what or whom.

ArchAngelKira:
Double fine real talk, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. Sequel, remake, HD port. I don't care what, I just want it.

That was Double Fine?? Damn, I stand corrected; I would love to see more of Psi-Ops. Go Tim!

If I had to guess the hot games companies would want out of getting THQ would be as follows...

1. Saint's Row: It's a license to print money if handled correctly, and gamers love them.
2. Warhammer 40k: Few things in this world are more rabid and loyal than Warhammer 40k fans. I should know, I am one. I bought Space Marine and enjoyed it, and I can't freakin' stand Ultramarines! I could see why they wouldn't send in Space Wolves though, a Wolf Lord would have sorted out that planet in twenty minutes.
3. South Park: The idea of a South Park RPG has a lot of people tickled, and I think that alone gives it a chance to sell pretty well. Being able to snag the rights to future South Park games must be pretty attractive too.

So don't look for Doublefine to be grabbing any of these. If they can wrestle their own games' console rights from WB I think that'd be a major victory for them however.

Falterfire:
Now all we need is for Valve to also join the bidding and this whole thing can go from nightmare to dream come true.

We can only hope.
I just hope that this doesn't interfere with the Metro: Last Light release or Company of Heroes. These are two IPs I would be sad to see die.

DVS BSTrD:

Nice. You have a way with words, DVS BSTrD.

ProtoChimp:

I know how you feel, THQ wasn't my favourite company, but they sure have a lot of awesome games.

OT: I hope Double Fine gets their hand on Stacking and Costume Quest, I wouldn't like seeing those games ending up with EA...

i just want relic to come out of this fine. With the 40k ip and left to make more great 40k games but this time with out the greedy assholes cutting funding and staff or trying to cut up a semi finished game for DLC (Space Marine). VALVE !!! PLEASE BUY RELIC AND 40K IP !!!

personally, i don't really care what Shaffer is planning as-long as it isn't ruining saints row 4
yes, it exists and has done since at-least the planning phase of saints row 3 because part of it was planned as dlc

Rubin stated that the Saints Row: The Third standalone expansion, Enter The Dominatrix, had been canceled and instead would be merged with Saints Row 4, allowing the team "more time, more resources, and a broader scope for the project". He also confirmed the game was scheduled for a calendar 2013 release window

^ saints row wiki

hopefully this game will still be released but you never know :S

what shaffer needs to do is crank out psychonauts 2 so i can praise him for keeping at it

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here