Sony Preparing to Launch Web Version of PSN Store This Month

Sony Preparing to Launch Web Version of PSN Store This Month

You'll soon be able to purchase PSN content via the web.

Sony will finally introduce a web-based version of the PSN store to gamers in the U.S. this month, bringing the states up to par with the U.K., which has had the option available for some time now. The site will allow purchases of PSN content for the PlayStation 3 and Vita, as well as offer auto-download options to your console.

Currently, PSN devotees in the U.S. are forced to purchase content via their game consoles, rather than browse the available content on the web. Microsoft has offered a web version of its Xbox 360 game content for years, and it's a bit of a head-scratcher that Sony waited this long to introduce a similar service.

Gamers in the states can hop onto the U.K. version of the web store right now and get a feeling for the new site. The content is structured in a very straightforward manner, offering the ability to sort based on console, download type, release date, and other criteria. You can also browse upcoming releases if you're curious about soon-to-be-released DLC or new titles.

Source: CNET via GamesIndustry

I'm confused, I could have sworn you were allowed to purchase PSN games on the Playstation site's PSN section, or has that changed?

The UK has this? Since when?
<Checks site using PS3's browser>
"The Sony Entertainment Network Store is not currently supported by this browser."

Haha.

So... why can't I just have those search options on the PS3 itself?

I know it's been brought up before but the new layout from a few months back is headache inducing compared to before, and the set-up on the Vita (thankfully wasn't changed to the same system ps3 uses right now.) is miles better than the original systems set manly due to the touch screens flick/slide options but the menus are really well mapped out and load up much quicker.

I was so excited for a second there. I thought I could possibly get Journey on my PC. Silly, foolish me

And the 3 people who wanted this celebrated their victory. and much rejoicing was had.

Remember when they renamed the PSN? I love how well that took hold =D

SO would I be able buy, and download the files to a usb and transfer the files over to my ps3 that way? Or do I still I have to download on the playstation.

Al-Bundy-da-G:
And the 3 people who wanted this celebrated their victory. and much rejoicing was had.

Exactly. This isn't a big annoucement or anything really interesting.

What I think is going happen is this: You want to buy game A from the PSN store, you go on the website that has the game, you use a prepaid card or a credit/debit card to buy game A. Game A will now be available for you to download off of your PS3. I could be wrong entirely though.

About damned time. I'm sick and tired of using MediaGo.

BrotherRool:

I always wondered if it was one of those situations where they rename the acronym to just being the acronym.

Like how "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is now officially just "KFC". See also: AMC, MTV and IFC.

Scrythe:

BrotherRool:

I always wondered if it was one of those situations where they rename the acronym to just being the acronym.

Like how "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is now officially just "KFC". See also: AMC, MTV and IFC.

They renamed it to SEN though =D Sony Entertainment Network. Just noone cares about that name

BrotherRool:

Scrythe:

BrotherRool:

They renamed it to SEN though =D Sony Entertainment Network. Just noone cares about that name

Yeah, I remember The Escapist trying to call it that for a while but as you can see, even they gave up. Hell, I think even Sony gave up.

OT: Well, this feature isn't for me, I guess. If I ever browse the store, it's because I wanna get a game right there and then. Buying it via my PC just means I STILL have to go do something else on my PS3 before I get to play it.

The only reason I might use it is because it might be slightly faster to navigate on a computer. Ever since they "remodeled" the store, it takes longer to open and lags more than it used to. So I dunno, maybe my computer will be able to handle that better than my old PS3.

Beautiful End:

Yeah, I remember The Escapist trying to call it that for a while but as you can see, even they gave up. Hell, I think even Sony gave up.

OT: Well, this feature isn't for me, I guess. If I ever browse the store, it's because I wanna get a game right there and then. Buying it via my PC just means I STILL have to go do something else on my PS3 before I get to play it.

The only reason I might use it is because it might be slightly faster to navigate on a computer. Ever since they "remodeled" the store, it takes longer to open and lags more than it used to. So I dunno, maybe my computer will be able to handle that better than my old PS3.

For me it's a way to check if I can buy a game yet that I'm reminded of whilst browsing. I'm still waiting for them to release Persona 3 in the UK :( and I tend to remember to check when I'm on my laptop rather than when I'm one the PS3. It's not a game changer, its just something they should have had in the first place as a small convenience and a chance to make money.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here