Massachusetts Town Announces Videogame Exchange Program

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Massachusetts Town Announces Videogame Exchange Program

And the Massachusetts Department of Transportation has removed several "violent" arcade games from its turnpike service areas.

The town of Southington, Connecticut pulled the plug on its plans for a violent videogame cull earlier this week, but now the town of Melrose, Massachusetts has unveiled plans for a videogame turn-in of its own. Called "New Year - New Direction," the initiative will allow families to exchange violent videogames, movies and toys for a sheet of coupons that can be used at local businesses, and possibly a "get out of homework free" card as well.

"If a family has this discussion and maybe tries to get rid of some of this stuff, they are going to get one of these coupons. The child may be getting rid of something they like, but they are getting some value for it," Melrose Mayor Robert Dolan said. "I'm not saying people shouldn't have [violent games and toys], but, at least in my house, things have changed since Connecticut."

Meanwhile, Massachusetts state authorities also decided to remove several arcade games, including Time Crisis and Beachhead 2000, from turnpike rest stops following a complaint from a family who witnessed someone playing one at a stop near Newtown, Connecticut, the site of the Sandy Hook massacre.

"You could even hear it in the bathroom," the complainant, Andrew Hyams, told the Boston Globe. "People have the freedom to have whatever videogames in their own homes that they want. We were struck by walking into a [state-owned] rest stop within an hour's drive of Newtown and seeing and hearing a life-sized, mounted machine gun on a videogame."

Following their complaint, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation pulled nine machines from four separate rest stops. "A videogame in a public space could be used by anybody of any age," Transportation Secretary Richard Davey said. "At the end of the day, those games are there to entertain kids, probably for a few minutes, while their parents are resting from a long trip. I just think it makes all the sense in the world to have it be a more passive" game.

Source: Boston Globe

Indeed. I remember all those horror stories of brutal murders by children who wanted to recreate playing Time Crisis at rest stops. Thousands were killed, blood everywhere. It's good that somebody has finally stepped up to end the carnage. The ultra-realistically violence portrayed in such arcade games is far worse than anything portrayed in movie advertisements and clearly affected youths on a deep personal level that imbued them with an urge to kill.

"get out of homework free"

oh excuse me teacher i didnt do my homework today,

why little timmy

because i bought a copy of mw3 this week.

sorry but what the hell guys you know this is going to be abused to all hell, thanks for making the education system look like a utter joke.

Tell you what i will buy all your violent video games for 10$ Each.... Sell online or to gamestop (when im hurting for money) and profit

Please people are so uptight... OMG there is a game that was there before the shooting and is about defending a beach. We must remove it because it could want to make our children set up costal guns and fire on ships trying to dock or airplanes trying to land. Personaly i would just say "Hey lady f off it is a freaking video games about defending a beach and battling terrorists."

You know, it's people like this that actually make me want to drive to Connecticut and set up a game shop and advertise the opposite of what they are trying to do.

Time Crisis is about stopping terrorists, not shooting small school children.

Not sure how to feel about this, I don't think it really holds up but at least their handling it with some class... except that homework thing, thats a load of bull:

'Its okay to stay dumb as a post kids, as long as your not angry about it.'

Fu*king spare me, stupidity can often lead to violance.

Terminate421:
You know, it's people like this that actually make me want to drive to Connecticut and set up a game shop and advertise the opposite of what they are trying to do.

Time Crisis is about stopping terrorists, not shooting small school children.

You'd think the NRA would be all about that...

Wants to prevent rampages by psychopaths
Takes away one of their major outlets.
~_~
Mass, u better than this.

At the very, very least, they aren't directly focused on videogames

Or maybe I'm just worn out today...

In other news, the state of Massachusetts had decided to block all television programming that contains "violence of an extreme nature", leaving viewers to choose between reruns of 'How It's Made' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'.

Unfortunately the only episode of 'How It's Made' that is considered non-violent is the one about the button factory.

I'm guessing the stupidity won't end any time soon, at least not until some town actually goes through with a media burning.

Because Southington, Connecticut ended so well...

So Melrose, Massachusetts is trying to get around the cost issues by encouraging you to trade in your $60 games and $20 DVDS for $5 off coupons that they may or may not have printed off the internet.

To be fair, they didn't actually say how much value the coupons would be worth, but that's what I'm assuming.

This reminds me of my first "violent" anime movie, I was at the store with my mom, I was about 9 when I asked her forAkira. We got up to the register and the cashier asks my mom "Is it okay for her to have this, you know this movie is rated R right?" to which my mom replied "Yeah it's fine, I don't care."

gimme 100$a game and I will hand most of mine in. Oh you won't do that? Guess you don't truly care about kids #sarcasm

Removing Time Crisis? Really? That's what's considered "violent" these days? Last time I checked those games hardly had any kind of blood and the dialogue was about as cheesy as it could get. Plus the games have always been rated T.

If you really think Time Crisis of all games can cause kids to become shooters then you are a sad, sad person.

Edit: Also send me one of those Time Crisis cabinets. I've always wanted one in my house.

See, the issue with the "get out of homework free" card(s) is that the kids were probably going to spend that time not doing homework...I don't know...playing violent video games.

"get out of homework free"

What the fuck? So, you're saying that you're sending a good message while telling kids 'you don't have to do homework as long as you march in lockstep with society'?! That's the kind of message that a cheeky, fucking undies-in-mouth retarded cunt would make!

If anything, I'd say a 'realistic' arcade shooter put me off from ever owning a gun. I played a Rambo type game at a local event center and the gun was pretty life sized (I assume) and had recoil, hurt my shoulder like hell even playing just one game.

I also found it a bit funny as there was a US Army game (kind of like a recruit shooting range) and my friend who has rather good marks and is actually an a Wing Commander couldn't get past the first few stages. Funny stuff.

Also, does it just have to be violence with guns? Since Skyrim doesn't have guns, does that mean it doesn't qualify?

Andy Chalk:
Melrose Mayor Robert Dolan said. "I'm not saying people shouldn't have [violent games and toys], but, at least in my house, things have changed since Connecticut."

"I'm not saying you shouldn't have violent video games, but it took a recent massive disaster for me to take a vague interest in what my children are doing, and if you have violent video games in your house you're a bad person"

What knee-jerk, insincere nonsense. As if people weren't violent before the advent of video games (or TV, movies, music or whatever the latest scapegoat is). We're a violent species, that's why simulated violence entertains us. The biggest problems that children and adults face with video games isn't the content, but the amount of time they spend on them and the risks it could possibly pose to school or work.

So erm...

What'll be happening to any games possible idiots might turn in?

Could I like... have them?

That'd be awesome.

Mr. Carlin, your words are still valid:

mattaui:
The biggest problems that children and adults face with video games isn't the content, but the amount of time they spend on them and the risks it could possibly pose to school or work.

Which makes it deliciously ironic when they offer "get out of homework free" cards in exchange.

You know... I think he wants attention. I mean he really needs to focus on say... The horrible pothole ridden streets of his instead! Those spawn many a episode of road rage; much more then any video game normally could.

FizzyIzze:
'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'

I don't see an issue with that. Nothing works wonders on one's outlook like a Whose Line marathon. (Plus, I'm not sure its exactly 'non-violent'. Still a great show, though.)

On topic: the whole thing seems silly, but particularly the whole get out homework shindig. Because being ridiculously strict about video games is so much more important then the folks' educations, eh? Its a very reactionary response that seems to be quite common after these sorta tragedies, despite the fact they're usually misaimed.

*bangs head on the desk*
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Ok, how much longer are we going to have to deal with this 'ignore the real problem and blame video games' crap? Because this shit is just getting stupider and stupider by the minute. And coupons? Really? Yeah what a deal. Give in a $60 USD game for 20 cents off you next Big Mac. Real stellar deal.

You know what? Let's just nuke the planet so that we can destroy everything, so that we run no risk of anything causing anyone to snap and kill people. Also, we'd kill everyone, so that they'd be no more bad people to snap, and no more innocents to be killed in the first place! Problem solved! C'mon, let's ignore the real problem and jump to implement this stupid ass solution! Chop, chop motherfuckers!

FizzyIzze:
... leaving viewers to choose between reruns of 'How It's Made' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'.

American Whose Line or English Whose Line?

*sighs* I just...I mean....UGH! Don't these people get it? The same people that are shouting for no more violent media were the same people that grew up watching Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry and watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when they were teenagers.

And is it just me or are we as a culture trying to do our best to make certain that our future generation has NO individuality whatsoever? "Oh kids you can't have that, that actually looks fun and might make you have ideas about the world. No no no, we need to give you these pieces of cotton. They're pastuerized, homogenized, sterilized, safety approved, violence-free, cruelty-free, free-range, home grown, with no dyes, no perfumes, no high fructose corn syrup,no calories, no fat, no substance whatsoever and it's even WHITE which is the best color of them all! Oh! but first we need to tape your mouths shut, can't let you chance eating it! And to make sure you don't take the tape off or hurt yourself by using your hands in an unapproved way, here's some lockable mittens that we, your loving parents, will keep the key too! Don't forget your helmet, your knee pads, your elbow pads, your neck brace, your diaper, and this bullet proof vest! Have fun! And remember don't ever think for yourself!"

Salakayin:

FizzyIzze:
'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'

I don't see an issue with that. Nothing works wonders on one's outlook like a Whose Line marathon. (Plus, I'm not sure its exactly 'non-violent'. Still a great show, though.)

On topic: the whole thing seems silly, but particularly the whole get out homework shindig. Because being ridiculously strict about video games is so much more important then the folks' educations, eh? Its a very reactionary response that seems to be quite common after these sorta tragedies, despite the fact they're usually misaimed.

To be quite honest, there's a lot of hands in the shape of guns on that show. We're watching you, improv people!

soren7550:

FizzyIzze:
... leaving viewers to choose between reruns of 'How It's Made' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'.

American Whose Line or English Whose Line?

It will be a combination of both. In order to minimize confusion, the original UK Whose Line will be branded as 'Canadian'.

"I'm not saying people shouldn't have [violent games and toys], but, I am trying to imply it as heavily as possible."

At least this sort of suggests society is making progress; they're encouraging people to get rid of them instead of trying to institute laws banning them.

Someone should ask this mayor if trading in a gun would be valid for his program. I get the feeling he'd be FAR less supportive of that...

Yeah, lets change a whole mess o' things because one person complained. That's a really efficient way to get things done. Can't we just lump these people in with the ones who hate Christmas decorations in schools and launch them all into the sun?

The shooting of children in school has more to do with the lack of morals and honor in our society, not out video games. We need to get back to the place where we shame people who act oddly. That means you Goth kids! We get it, you're "different". We're all convinced that you're not whiny little dirtbags who are crying out for attention. Now shut up, take off your makeup, and play some football!

gettin some bad vibes about the homework coupons lol

still, we're not doing anything with all these copies of steel battalion...

soren7550:
*bangs head on the desk*
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Ok, how much longer are we going to have to deal with this 'ignore the real problem and blame video games' crap? Because this shit is just getting stupider and stupider by the minute. And coupons? Really? Yeah what a deal. Give in a $60 USD game for 20 cents off you next Big Mac. Real stellar deal.

You know what? Let's just nuke the planet so that we can destroy everything, so that we run no risk of anything causing anyone to snap and kill people. Also, we'd kill everyone, so that they'd be no more bad people to snap, and no more innocents to be killed in the first place! Problem solved! C'mon, let's ignore the real problem and jump to implement this stupid ass solution! Chop, chop motherfuckers!

Of course they're ignoring the real problem. After all the real problem is the folly of humanity We've accumulated so much human arrogance over the centuries that most people can't even conceive the notion that humans are horrid, primitive, and massively inferior creatures.

As far as we're concerned their is no such thing as a "defective human." However, this belief is proven false over and over again. Yet we ignore it because "humans r teh bestors!!!!!"

The word "human," along with all other words and phrases with "human" in them, are revered the highest. Just look at Star Trek for one of the biggest examples of human arrogance, portrayed in a positive light, in film. When Kirk tells Spock "everyone's human" it is meant to be seen as the greatest compliment of all time. Bullshit!

We have so much glorification of "humanity" in our art, science, philosophies, and everyday lives. Is it really a surprise we don't know how to deal with the reality of our own failures when they force their way into the spotlight? Is it really a surprise that we'd rather blame inanimate objects or virtual worlds when people do bad things, instead of taking responsibility for our shortcomings as a species?

Oh, and Escapist. You have the wrong picture for this article. I think this is more appropriate.

If these people are so concerned about their children why do they have these games in the first place?

Violent videogames. I'd talk to my kids about them, since they'll have access to any media about them anyway and are often interested in trying them at the very least.

Say, does that town have a hotline for "I've been bullied in to being a recluse almost-suicide and need to talk to someone" ?

Or a gun exchange program, you know, devices that aren't toys or are used casually for what they were originally designed for (murder) ?

Or do the people and/or schools of that town teach students just how much aggressive gang behaviour(e.g. jocks) hurts people mentally ?

If not, those people will lose a lot more than a few video games. They're likely to lose some people, like they are currently.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here