U.S. Vice President: Games Are Not Being "Singled Out"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

U.S. Vice President: Games Are Not Being "Singled Out"

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said he's asked "a whole lot of people" for help dealing with the problem of gun violence.

Not everyone was happy with the videogame industry's participation in U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's task force investigating the causes of - and, one would hope, potential solutions to - the problem of gun violence. The feeling among some is that by taking part, the industry is effectively admitting that in spite of all the evidence to the contrary, videogames may in fact play some role in mass murders like that in Newtown, Connecticut last December.

But in a video posted on YouTube, the VP said that the game industry is not being specifically eyeballed as a causative factor in mass shootings. "We know that there is no silver bullet, there is no, as one of my friends said, no seat belt we can put on to ensure we will not be in this circumstance again," Biden said. "We know this is a complex problem. We know there's no single answer, and quite frankly we don't even know whether some of the things people think impact on this actually impact on it or not."

"So I want you to know you have not been 'singled out' for help," he added, patting Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello, who was seated beside him, on the shoulder. He then rattled off a lengthy list of other agencies that had taken part in the process, ranging from various law enforcement and medical associations to "at risk groups," civil rights organizations, gun safety advocates, interfaith groups, the NRA and many others.

"I come to this meeting with no judgment," Biden said. "We're looking for help. I understand that a few of you here are researchers, assessing the impact, if any, on behaviors... we're anxious to see if there's anything you can suggest to us that you think would [help]."

"There's no measure that I'm aware of to be able to determine whether or not there's a coarsening of our culture in a way that is not healthy," he continued. "I don't know the answer to that question, [and] I'm not sure what kind of impact it would have or wouldn't have on the kind of events we're looking at."

Biden said he hoped to be able to deliver his recommendations to U.S. President Barack Obama on Tuesday.

Source: YouTube

Huh, looks like Crazy Joe is one of the most level headed people in the USA government right now.

I can understand wanting to look into the love of games like those that catch the violence flak. What makes these types of games so attractive, and so on. My worry is the fact that EA (who can't seem to go a week without making a statement and then backpedaling on it only to make things worse - see Medal of Honor "Taliban vs US Soldiers" controversy) is in on this.

My only hope is that this becomes actually helpful and not a political soapbox.

Well I'll be damned. It's interesting to hear that several government officials, including the Vice President, are admitting that there are multiple things to carefully consider and that there is not one easy answer. That's so drastically different from the articles we've seen about average joes going, "It's all the games!" or "It's all the guns!"

Here's hoping that all goes well.

Who better than the guy behind MoH:Warfighter to prove that videogames aren't just about violence.

They're about money, duh.

Andy Chalk:
"So I want you to know you have not been 'singled out' for help," he added, patting Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello, who was seated beside him, on the shoulder.

Well... at least not for causing Sandy Hook he hasn't. :P

You know what the real problem is? The problem is that when a horrible tragedy occurs, the first thought of so many isn't "Oh my god, those poor unfortunate people." It's "Oh shit, lets hurry up and make sure no one takes our guns."

John Riccitiello... was he the only big name present? Why not some people who aren't the antichrist?

Oh well, at least he's not blaming video games for the violence and stuff, yay for that.

bz316:
You know what the real problem is? The problem is that when a horrible tragedy occurs, the first thought of so many isn't "Oh my god, those poor unfortunate people." It's "Oh shit, lets hurry up and make sure no one takes our guns."

That is half of the problem, the other half is people, who, instead of saying "Oh my god, those poor unfortunate people" instead say "Oh shit, let's take advantage of this opportunity to attack games and guns and anything else we don't like."

I have the first part of a solution. How about instead of the media white out where the killer is plastered all over every news outlet for most of a month thus getting their 15 minutes of fame they so desperatly want we have a media blackout. Maybe a short throw away like "in other news some loser shot up a school and some people were hurt in some town" the end.

Just like everything else, this administration makes videos, appearances, make grand speeches and do absolutely nothing. We all knew that they weren't going to do anything on this, so please do not waste our time and money pretending that you're solving the mystery like Scooby-doo 2.0

People do need to remember that even though you might hate EA, EA is a major player in our industry.
Let's be honest here, John Riccitiello isn't going to be all like 'You know what, I hate money, You can just take away our freedom and force us not to make games and market them how we want'.

However I did find it amusing how bored John Riccitiello looked throughout all this.

There is a silver bullet it's called Gun control/regulation, or it's at least 90% of the bullet. Seriously the US has one of the worlds worst gun regulation policy's and it wonders why it has one of the highest gun related crimes/murder rates?

Look at other first world countries stricter gun laws, and than look at their lower gun related crimes and murder rates. They have the same violent movies and games you do it's not rocket science to figure what the problem is. You don't want to regulate your guns better, don't expect gun related incidents to go down.

Okay I know nothing about Joe Biden, I dunno his policies or what he stands for other than he is a democrat. But...

John Riccitiello?!?! John FUCKING Riccitiello?! One of the most disgusting money grubbing lying pieces of shit currently in the industry... I mean... FUCK!

I can understand asking CEO of the largest Games Company conglomerate to join but why not other influential figures as well such as Gabe Newell who might not be in charge in as large a company as Riccitiello but is nonetheless equally if not more prominent.

Perhaps it was simply ignorance which tells me that this conference is not planning on addressing video games as much as the other representatives.

jackpipsam:
People do need to remember that even though you might hate EA, EA is a major player in our industry.
Let's be honest here, John Riccitiello isn't going to be all like 'You know what, I hate money, You can just take away our freedom and force us not to make games and market them how we want'.

However I did find it amusing how bored John Riccitiello looked throughout all this.

ProtoChimp:
Okay I know nothing about Joe Biden, I dunno his policies or what he stands for other than he is a democrat. But...

John Riccitiello?!?! John FUCKING Riccitiello?! One of the most disgusting money grubbing lying pieces of shit currently in the industry... I mean... FUCK!

It might also simply be due to ignorance as to the figures of authority found in the gaming community. Inviting other, more well liked and known figures who are also industry leaders such as Gabe Newell would give more validity to the supposed changes the government might wish to enact as a result of the hearings.

disgruntledgamer:
There is a silver bullet it's called Gun control/regulation, or it's at least 90% of the bullet. Seriously the US has one of the worlds worst gun regulation policy's and it wonders why it has one of the highest gun related crimes/murder rates?

Look at other first world countries stricter gun laws, and than look at their lower gun related crimes and murder rates. They have the same violent movies and games you do it's not rocket science to figure what the problem is. You don't want to regulate your guns better, don't expect gun related incidents to go down.

Yes, other countries have less guns and few rates of gun violence. Thank you for sharing the obvious. I would think that countries without popsicles have fewer instances of flavored ice being eaten. The goal is to look at 1) Total Violence / Crime and 2) Instances of weapons being used to deter criminal acts.

Other countries are no less violent than America, they just use messier means in order to fulfill their quotas.

SecretImbecile:
Who better than the guy behind MoH:Warfighter to prove that videogames aren't just about violence.

They're about money, duh.

And the indiscriminate kicking down/hacking/slashing/shooting of doors

You know what? I like that Biden character! Though he may want to wash his hand after patting John Riccitiello...

disgruntledgamer:

There's also this little thing called "culture." Perhaps you've heard of it.

The US is much, much larger than those other countries you speak of in terms of both land mass and population.
Partly because of that, we have different problems. Poverty rates, education rates, gang rates, all of it is a direct result of trying to manage a population equivalent to 40% of everyone in Europe combined. We also have different history than Europe and had to deal with things while developing that Europe did not. Regulation is is not "90% of the bullet." To simplify it to that extent is at best ignorant and at worse, offensive.

Rogue 09:
Just like everything else, this administration makes videos, appearances, make grand speeches and do absolutely nothing. We all knew that they weren't going to do anything on this, so please do not waste our time and money pretending that you're solving the mystery like Scooby-doo 2.0

so you're saying that there's somebody out there that can do something? or is this just another dig at "the man" for fun? at least everybody at the top is being levelheaded about this, and that's all i can really ask for. hell, it doesn't even need to be about scooby doo, the act of presenting authority in a calm and reasoned manner is probably more important than pointing fingers. "leading by example" and all that shit, in a time where everybody's trying to blame somebody so that they aren't at fault.

Rogue 09:

Yes, other countries have less guns and few rates of gun violence. Thank you for sharing the obvious. I would think that countries without popsicles have fewer instances of flavored ice being eaten. The goal is to look at 1) Total Violence / Crime and 2) Instances of weapons being used to deter criminal acts.

Other countries are no less violent than America, they just use messier means in order to fulfill their quotas.

Yeah to bad things like crime rates disagree with you.

Rogue 09:

That's a load of balls sir.

America has a higher murder rate (as in murders per 100'000 people per year) than Palestine, Palestine, as in the people in a permanent slap fight with Isreal. It's the highest murder rate in the first world. It's even a higher murder rate than Afghanistan, including combat deaths. Let me repeat that for you, the murder rate per 100'000 population in the US is higher than Afghanistan, meaning that an American soldier is statistically twice as likely to killed at home than he is on deployment.
Of course the numbers don't quite reflect reality (unless the NRA breaks out the suicide vests in response to gun control), but it highlights how big a problem the US has with violence when the averages say you're safer in a literal warzone.

Americans seem love killing each other and they love doing it with guns, all that rhetoric about self defence rings hollow when the top illegal acts with fire arms are suicide and homicide. America is like a Junkie with it's drugs when it comes to guns, unfortunately it's going to take something far worse than Sandy Hook (or Virginia Tech, Columbine, Aurora etc) to make the country look at itself and realise how farcical the attitudes surrounding weapons are.

weirdguy:
so you're saying that there's somebody out there that can do something?

If a few manufacturers and distributors pulled their gas/blowback operated weapons and limited magazine capacities to three or four rounds that would help a great deal.

Horrible as it sounds a mad man's killing power is limited if he has to stop to cycle the weapon and reload all the time. Of course they would never do anything so responsible, what's up with selling .223 rifles to civilians anyway?

Idea to fix a good portion of this. Everyone knows that we can't tell the media to stop showing vids of the thing due to the whole freedom of speech thing. We all know they just do it for the ratings even if it's one of the biggest contributors to future incidents. Here's an idea: Change the channel. If you don't, you're only encouraging things and none of this is going to go anywhere except in circles.

itchcrotch:
You know what? I like that Biden character! Though he may want to wash his hand after patting John Riccitiello...

It's too late, that hand's dead now. It had to be clinically removed, exorcised and burned in a chemical furnace.

jackpipsam:

He obviously hasn't gotten his daily quota of child souls and Unicorn blood to keep him active.

As much as I enjoy my personal vendetta against 'Don' Riccitiello, I can fully understand why he is there. I just hope that this is taken seriously, since it's a pretty landmark occasion, and what this forum finds from looking at all the research will inform actual real American policy in the immediate future and for a long, long time.

is it just me is does John Riccitiello look like one of the bad guys supergirl killed in her new comic?

Rogue 09:

disgruntledgamer:

I would disagree with the last part, America is one of the most violant western countries. This seems to be a cultural problem going back to the war of independence and civil war. A nation born in violance and blood knows little else.

RicoADF:

I would disagree with the last part, America is one of the most violant western countries. This seems to be a cultural problem going back to the war of independence and civil war. A nation born in violance and blood knows little else.

Name countries that weren't born in 'violance' and blood.

Rogue 09:
The goal is to look at 1) Total Violence / Crime and 2) Instances of weapons being used to deter criminal acts.

Not its not. the goal is to look at gun related violence. you remove violence by doing things that remove violence, you remove gun violence by removing guns. but thats not the right topic for that.

so a US senator with sensible ideas and not doing rash decisions jut to appease public? have after 2012 we all went to heaven or something?

Mycroft Holmes:

Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Iceland, Tibet, Norway, the list goes on.

Strazdas:

Mycroft Holmes:

Czech, Slovakia, Slovenia, Iceland, Tibet, Norway, the list goes on.

You consider Tibet to be a western country? Yeah ok...

Tibet's government was founded when the Communists invaded. You know, the normal way, with soldiers and guns. And you may be aware, that a war usually involves violence and blood. Oh and then there was a violent revolution against the rule, during which 100,000 people died while the modern government of Tibet crushed them into the ground. And then they instituted PRC policies resulting into up to a million deaths during their collectivization process. Boy, id hate to see what you consider an actual bloody foundation.

Iceland was a colony of Denmark, and achieved independence after Denmark was invaded by Nazi Germany in a little not at all bloody event called World War 2.

The government of Norway was overthrown during WW2 as well. Oh and then the newly formed post war government, violated the Geneva convention and forced German POWs to run through minefields in order to clear them out. Stay classy Norway, stay classy.

Slovenia achieved its independence during the Slovenian Independence War; where they rebelled against the Yugoslavian government. The Yugoslavians leaflet bombed them with messages threatening to 'crush all resistance.' When the Slovenians didn't back down, the Yugoslavians rolled in tanks.

Pictured: The Yugoslavian plan put into operation to presumably hug the Slovenians and congratulate them on their 'totally not a violent war,' independence.

And the Czechs and the Slovakians... we'll they were just that freaking awesome. And they should have just kept going on Prague Spring and taken their independence in the 60s.

Mycroft Holmes:

You consider Tibet to be a western country? Yeah ok...

Tibet's government was founded when the Communists invaded. You know, the normal way, with soldiers and guns. And you may be aware, that a war usually involves violence and blood. Oh and then there was a violent revolution against the rule, during which 100,000 people died while the modern government of Tibet crushed them into the ground. And then they instituted PRC policies resulting into up to a million deaths during their collectivization process. Boy, id hate to see what you consider an actual bloody foundation.

Iceland was a colony of Denmark, and achieved independence after Denmark was invaded by Nazi Germany in a little not at all bloody event called World War 2.

The government of Norway was overthrown during WW2 as well. Oh and then the newly formed post war government, violated the Geneva convention and forced German POWs to run through minefields in order to clear them out. Stay classy Norway, stay classy.

Slovenia achieved its independence during the Slovenian Independence War; where they rebelled against the Yugoslavian government. The Yugoslavians leaflet bombed them with messages threatening to 'crush all resistance.' When the Slovenians didn't back down, the Yugoslavians rolled in tanks.

Pictured: The Yugoslavian plan put into operation to presumably hug the Slovenians and congratulate them on their 'totally not a violent war,' independence.

And the Czechs and the Slovakians... we'll they were just that freaking awesome. And they should have just kept going on Prague Spring and taken their independence in the 60s.

You never said western countries, i merely sticked mostly with Europe due to me knowing about them more than eastern ones.
Iceland had no bloodshed. as Denmark was invaded, the populace split off, with agreement from by then crumbling dannish government and suffered no bloodshed.

Germans invaded Norway, but that was when the country was already founded, so your example does nto work.

I have to agree with Slovenia, i did the mistake there.

ProtoChimp:

He is the CEO of video gaming's largest developer and publisher.
How would he not be at this? Yes many gamers hate him (because corporations are EVIL!!!!!!).
But for this kind of government inquest, he is very relevant and is able to provide the necessary detailing to appease the government.

Many people call him out for not understanding gaming, but he does understand the world of business and THAT is what is needed right now.

Ricitiello: "You need to make firearms a regulated online service. That way you can make money by selling clips!"

But to be frank we all know how to deal with these problems. You can never make them go away completely. But you can regulate guns, add protective measures to schools, raise awareness on how a person can become so violent but most of all stop the media from portraying these people as some kind of anti-hero and not give every jackass a gun.

Strazdas:

You never said western countries, i merely sticked mostly with Europe due to me knowing about them more than eastern ones.

If you're trying to prove that America is more violent than other western countries, because it was birthed through armed conflict, then I would assume it follows that your examples should be western countries. Otherwise your thesis makes no sense. Not that it matters because your only really unarguable example of Tibet was founded in a war that caused 100,000 or 1,000,000 deaths if you want to count The Great Leap Forward that their new government immediately brought.

And I can't think of a single 'eastern' country that was founded in peace.

Strazdas:
Germans invaded Norway, but that was when the country was already founded, so your example does nto work.

They reformed under a new government after the war that was distinct from the prewar government. Are we talking about founding of countries or are we talking about founding of governments? Because if its founding of governments, then my point stands. If it was founding of countries then your point realllly does not stand, because Norway is viking territory. And the vikings ran around raiding any village they could find.

Even if we are only talking about the latest title under which norway unified: The Kingdom of Norway; how do you think kingdoms are formed? You think everyone just goes 'oh this guy is great' lets all pay him money and build him fortresses? No Harald Fairhair conquered the petty kingdoms of Norway and united them into the Kingdom of Norway, which is still the countries official title. All we have are poems written about him, and they are mostly about him winning battles. Oh and the dude fathered a son, named freaking Eric Bloodaxe. Bloodaxe. And you think it was founded peaceably?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here