'Fro No More: TF2 Retires Original Hats

'Fro No More: TF2 Retires Original Hats

From the Heavy's football helmet to the Demoman's 'fro, classic TF2 hats will soon vanish from the store.

In 2009, Team Fortress 2 introduced the world to fashionable headgear as part of the Spy vs Sniper update. After that, the game eventually shifted to being entirely hat-funded, with the hat count balloning up to 268 at last count. Now, the original nine hats that started it all will be retired in two weeks. After all, what's a hat-conomy without scarcity?

The list of retired hats list includes: Batter's Helmet, Soldier's Stash, Pyro's Beanie, Demoman's Fro, Football Helmet, Mining Light, Prussian Pickelhauge, Trophy Belt, and Fancy Fedora. Though still tradable, these hats will no longer drop or be craftable. An exception includes older crates which still might drop these classic scalp-scarves.

The official TF2 blog explains that the reason for the retirement involves pallets of spoiled mayonnaise and raccoon feces, suggesting that Valve had better find a new cloud hosting provider soon. However, Valve also has an economist among their ranks, which might have something to do with it. Right now, TF2 could use the strong, guiding hand of the Ben Bernanke of Beanies to guide them through this troubled time.

Source: Valve

So Valve's cloud storage capacity has been... capped?

They're... removing hats?

I... I don't understand.

I think i have at least 3 of those hats.

In addition to the L4D bonus/preorder hats it makes me feel pretty damn good about myself for enabling Steam Guard.

I bought a number of starting packs, so I have most of those hats.

Can't trade 'em though D:

Now if they could get DotA 2's items and free to play model to work. The crates are worthless considering the price on the keys.

I am fine, as I have all the ones from this list that I wanted anyway.

I got Soldier's Stash, V. Pyro Beanie, V. Football Helmet, V. and unusual Pickelhaube, Trophy Belt, and a V. Fancy Fedora. As well as I got a V. Bonk Helm, which is the baseball helmet with bonk drinks on it, I will do fine.

Darn. I really wanted that Demoman's Fro and Fancy Fedora.

Oh well, at least I still have my Engineer Pip-Boy. That's still pretty sweet.

Well fuck Valve for this. I don't even like the original hats much but flat out removing them from not just the store but drops is bullshit.
Then again they have been trying for years to ruin TF2. Haven't been able to consistently enjoy it since it went free to play. To many damn hackers now. Fuck Valve for taking a game I used to rank as one of the top 2 games ever and shitting on it.

So, trying to give them a "collectable" status.

I get the distinct feeling if anyone else in the industry tried this, people would be pissed off.

Other company: It might be cosmetic, but it's the principal of the matter!
Since it's Valve: It's just hats. Get over it.

Wonder how long until the Force 'a Nature and Huntsman suddenly find themselves drenched in mayonnaise...

The7Sins:
Well fuck Valve for this. I don't even like the original hats much but flat out removing them from not just the store but drops is bullshit.
Then again they have been trying for years to ruin TF2. Haven't been able to consistently enjoy it since it went free to play. To many damn hackers now. Fuck Valve for taking a game I used to rank as one of the top 2 games ever and shitting on it.

Translation: The game has changed and I fear change thus valve is evil.

I've played since day 1 and I still play. It's more fun now than it ever has been.

Mr. Omega:

I get the distinct feeling if anyone else in the industry tried this, people would be pissed off.

Wonder how long until the Force 'a Nature and Huntsman suddenly find themselves drenched in mayonnaise...

To be fair, I've been wishing mayo and raccoon feces would spill over the huntsman ever since it first came out.

Mr. Omega:

I remember a fair bit of complaining when they came up with the hats in the first place, because they reduced the "everyone has a distinct silhouette" factor and took away time that could have been spent finishing the next Half-Life. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed because I saw the headline and thought they were shelving the whole "valve is a haberdashery" concept.

mateushac:

To be fair, I've been wishing mayo and raccoon feces would spill over the huntsman ever since it first came out.

Gotta say, that made me laugh. Nice one.

But on topic, i don`t really mind them doing it. I don`t own any of those hats, but then again, Im not really into the trading side of the game, and the game has a ton of other, more-lovely-looking hats. At least in my opinion. So, yeah. No bones broken here.

Mr. Omega:

Actually, I like Valve very much and I can forgive them for many things, but this is just fucking stupid. I don't even like these specific hats, but I hate that whole "hat economy" thing.

There's no reason for digital items to be in limited quantity, and I'd appreciate them at least giving us the real reason for this dick move.

Doom972:

Actually, I like Valve very much and I can forgive them for many things, but this is just fucking stupid. I don't even like these specific hats, but I hate that whole "hat economy" thing.

There's no reason for digital items to be in limited quantity, and I'd appreciate them at least giving us the real reason for this dick move.

I'd say it's a pretty feeble attempt at deflating bill's and buds' prices by making other stuff a little bit more scarce.

If that's the reasoning, though, I believe they will soon fall flat onto their faces.

EDIT: It could also be that they're trying to somehow reward older players, who have a better chance at having these specific hats.

The7Sins:

It's not Valve's fault: It's the damn Mayonnaise Man! He Freakin' left old Mayonnaise right where these old items were stored, and the damn racoons got in to it and spread it on everything! He'll get his revenge though: Saxton Hale's gonna get him with his bare fists, so we don't have to worry about anymore items being destroyed with Mayo...

IAS (In All Seriousness): I honestly don't care too much about these early Hats, they weren't my cup of tea. However, the good news is they'll still drop in crates, just not as Stranges anymore.

Mr. Omega:

Not going to happen. The only interesting versions of those hats are Unusuals and even those are at the lower end of the price list.

There are 45516 copies of this hat worldwide. The vintage version is worth a few keys but again, you'll always find someone who sells this hats for a few ref.

DataSnake:
took away time that could have been spent finishing the next Half-Life.

I never got this argument. How is the team that works on TF2 in any way taking time away from the team that maybe works on Half Life? Did those idiots really wanted TF2 to die due to lack of content and balance patches just so that they might have the feeling someone is working on HL?

And just for the record: Half Life is my ultimate FPS, I love this game and spend hours discussing everything about those games with friends.

mateushac:

I'd say it's a pretty feeble attempt at deflating bill's and buds' prices by making other stuff a little bit more scarce.

If that's the reasoning, though, I believe they will soon fall flat onto their faces.

EDIT: It could also be that they're trying to somehow reward older players, who have a better chance at having these specific hats.

I really don't think so. For this action to deflate the price of Bill's and Buds they should've at least taken popular store hats like the Team Captain. By now the only thing that'll happen is that those will rise in price a little.

Also, there are plenty of items and hats that were created that are valueable but did not impact the price of those. BMOC, the new strange festives and so forth. Bills and Buds are still the main currency in their priceclass.

The7Sins:

R.Nevermore:

The7Sins:

I've played since day 1 and I still play. It's more fun now than it ever has been.

Translation: You ignore the point of post or lack reading comprehension or are one of the hackers that have infested TF2.

No, he did neither of those. You have no point in your post except "the game has changed and this valve is evil / stupid".

You lack any argument why the removal of those hats is bullshit. You haven't been able to enjoy the game since F2P what hints that you mostly have a problem with the new player base. You claim it is hacker infested which simply is not true: I've seen more hackers in popular 60$ FPS in the last year than I've seen in TF2 and I spend roughly three times the amoung of time in TF2 than in the others combined.

The problem I've seen with this is people are trying to sell the hats for between 3-6 times their actual worth because people believe that they will be worth buds later down the line. Of course most people don't take into account that these are some of the most common hats available since they were the first that could be crafted and were the cheapest to buy from the Mann Co store which made dirty versions of these hats some of the most cancerous items in TF2. But I suppose I shouldn't complain since I was able to get a refined for a fancy fedora I spent a reclaimed on.

TheKasp:

The7Sins:

R.Nevermore:

Translation: You ignore the point of post or lack reading comprehension or are one of the hackers that have infested TF2.

No, he did neither of those. You have no point in your post except "the game has changed and this valve is evil / stupid".

You lack any argument why the removal of those hats is bullshit. You haven't been able to enjoy the game since F2P what hints that you mostly have a problem with the new player base. You claim it is hacker infested which simply is not true: I've seen more hackers in popular 60$ FPS in the last year than I've seen in TF2 and I spend roughly three times the amoung of time in TF2 than in the others combined.

Then your lucky or I'm unlucky. But for me before it went free to play I saw all of 3 hackers from release until a month before free to play. In over 1300 hours of play.
Afterwards I have seen about 40 in close to 230 hours of play (albeit some may be the same guy on different Steam accounts). I'm fed up with this shit. Before this you'd never see noclippers or speed hackers. Hell I've seen 1 godmode user since something I had not seen before then. So yeah sorry but this game has gone to the wolves.

This is not even discussing the troll that have infested the game. Before there were few people that I've seen in game that had to be muted due to being jerks. Although there has always been music spammers but most I like. (depends on what songs they spam)
Now it seems I have to mute everyone @ the beginning as a preemptive just to be sure the match will not devolve into hearing crude jokes, little kids, and insults.

Team Fortress 2 is the reason why I got into online multiplayer gaming. It's also the reason I left it. The Mann-Conomy update in late 2010 was the tipping point for me. Didn't like the gigantic amount of new weapons then, and all the ones that came after it didn't help either.

Sounds like a rather blatant attempt to try and artificially inflate the value of these things.

Get the feeling that if any other developer tried this people would be demanding their heads on pikes.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here