Research Firm Predicts Xbox 360 Will Outpace Wii, PS3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Research Firm Predicts Xbox 360 Will Outpace Wii, PS3

As the smoke of battle clears, it appears that the Xbox 360 and not the Nintendo Wii will emerge victorious in this round of the console wars.

Remember back in 2008, when news that the Xbox 360 had sold ten million units was pooh-poohed by analysts? Or in 2009, when it was predicted that even in a highly unlikely "worst-case scenario," the Wii had built up far too much of a lead for the 360 or the PlayStation 3 to even think about catching it?

Welcome to 2013, kids.

Somewhere out there a fat lady is warming up, but she won't be singing odes to Nintendo when the curtain rises. Instead, according to DFC Intelligence, the Xbox 360 is the Scipio Consolus of this generation, finally bringing the once-unbeatable Wii to heel. The company said that by 2017, Microsoft will have sold 46.1 million Xbox 360 consoles, while the Wii is expected to hit 42.1 million units. The PlayStation 3 is predicted to come in a distant third, with 33.5 million units sold.

"Shockingly it was in the later years of its life that the Xbox 360 really took off," it said. "The success of Microsoft and the Xbox 360 during the past two years highlights a radical changing of the guard in the game industry."

DFC also pointed out that Nintendo is in a "major downward cycle" and that despite plenty of positive-sounding "spin," the Wii U hasn't done much to reverse its fortunes. "The reality is that many Wii U systems were sitting unsold on shelves at year end," it continued. "Consumers love games more than ever but a new order of game providers is resulting in market shifts that are proving painful for Nintendo and other established game companies."

Source: GamesIndustry

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121472-PS3-Overtakes-Xbox-360-In-Shipped-Consoles

Published 3 day ago.

The way you stop me calling Escapist journalism a joke is to start using titles like "Analysts predict the 360 will have sold the most consoles by 2017"

And stop using headlines like
"Xbox 360 Wins the Console War"

Its controversial and gets hits, maybe even funny. It's also a really bad way to conduct a news section. And leads to you publishing two articles within 3 days, whose headlines flatout contradict each other. The joke isn#t meant to be you

(Also you might note that this is US sales only, because we#ve already sold twice as many PS3's globally as the 'winning' Xbox sales in 2017. I'm just saying that the way you phrase it makes it sound like the article you've linked to hasn't been properly read. It even says US in the tagline)

EDIT: Thanks for changing, I appreciate it. I've been a bit heavy handed and I'm thankful you just made the correction, despite the criticism...

Now if you could just mention someone that it#s only predicted to outsell in the US and those are only US figures of predictions you're quoting there, not the global sales (I mean the 360 has already sold 70 million consoles as reported in the Escapist article I'm linking to) =D

EDIT EDIT: Ah I was wrong, thanks to the person who changed the title for us

I have so many criticisms of this post I don't know where to begin.

This just isn't true...
Not only has the PS3 out-shipped the 360, but the 360 is nowhere near the number the Wii has sold. Who wrote this, Microsoft?

I loved my 360, but it died. I have 2 PS3s going strong, and a Wii gathering dust until my kid has another party she needs to do a party game for.

These numbers are fun, but the winner matters less than, are there Dreamcast like losers this generation? Between the big 3, happily, no.

I think the 360 was an even bigger success than you let on in that, I think people were buying Xbox live and points and games for it while the Wii did not do as well as that. If we take that into account (extras rather than just consoles) I wonder how the PS3 did? I bought Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas ONLY because I wanted to play on PS3. Dunno what that does numbers wise.

I recently played the Wii U and I (a strong 360 supporter) have to admit that the games that I played were pretty fun. The problem is that Nintendo pushed themselves into a realm where games from 3rd party developers come out better / more playable on the 360/PS3. All Nintendo has is their mainstays (Mario, Zelda, etc.) and quick little games that have similar iterations on smartphones.

I think Nintendo will continue to have a dominance in handhelds for a good long while, but the Wii U just exacerbated the problem they have with their consoles.

You should mention that this is specific to US sales Mr Malygris!

They forget to mention that Nintendo already 'won' this generation by not digging itself a giant financial hole in the process. Microsoft would be completely commited to the next generation of hardware, were they not trying to rebuild on five years of red bank statements, which more or less renders the second half of the 360's life moot as far as profit goes.

In case anyone forgot, in June 2007 Microsoft added $1.05bilion in costs to it's own forecasts, specifically to deal with RRoD related costs and replacement.

When your forced, erm, retarded enough to buy 2 or more consoles because the hardware is SHIT...
Yeah, I can see how sales would so well.

I'm not saying the 360 didn't do well, hardware wise, but I AM saying that M$ made a TON of money from people buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th or...consoles because their originals crapped out on them.

well ofcause the x-box 360 is going to sell more consoles by 2017, because Sony and Nintendo would have moved to the next generation by then and people will stop buying PS3 or Wiis

BrotherRool:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121472-PS3-Overtakes-Xbox-360-In-Shipped-Consoles

Published 3 day ago.

well that post was talking about current sales and about 1 year ahead, but it has a crap load of less extrapolation on the market than a prediction of 4 years ahead with the added fact we should be ending the current console era in the next year or 2

Numbers apply to the US only. Yes, worldwide it's apparently the case that the Xbox 360 is now the third of the current generation in consoles shipped. Yes, this is mostly due to continental Europe and Japan, the 360 has a significant lead in the US and the UK.

Chill, everyone.

I mean, sure, the post is rampant flamebaiting serving as clickbaiting. The way you defeat it is to go "Hey, the 360 sold a lot of units in the US but not so much elsewhere, ain't that a thing?" and move on.

BrotherRool:

Published 3 day ago.

The way you stop me calling Escapist journalism a joke is to start using titles like "Analysts predict the 360 will have sold the most consoles by 2017"

Its controversial and gets hits, maybe even funny. It's also a really bad way to conduct a news section. And leads to you publishing two articles within 3 days, whose headlines flatout contradict each other. The joke isn#t meant to be you

(Also you might note that this is US sales only, because we#ve already sold twice as many PS3's globally as the 'winning' Xbox sales in 2017. I'm just saying that the way you phrase it makes it sound like the article you've linked to hasn't been properly read. It even says US in the tagline)

Quoted because I agree. And why is that an acceptable reason for quoting? I do not know. I am under the influence of alcohol. Friends don't let friends drink and surf.

OT: Welp. Like the gentleman above implied, it's a rather silly article, but hey! At least I can tell everyone that the 360 was by far my least favourite and least played console of the generation! So there's that!

This doesnt make any sense considering other very recent news.

If sales figures are the sole reason to gage who "wins", then Twilight is a fucking beast and an oscar worthy movie.

There are many problems with this post (the American only figures, the likelihood all three consoles will be manufactured and sold for years, the entire concept of 'console wars') but the biggest is that this feels like some fan-boy flame bait that I wouldn't expect from the escapist forums let alone the actual news stories.

Tanis:
When your forced, erm, retarded enough to buy 2 or more consoles because the hardware is SHIT...
Yeah, I can see how sales would so well.

I'm not saying the 360 didn't do well, hardware wise, but I AM saying that M$ made a TON of money from people buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th or...consoles because their originals crapped out on them.

But if you bought another one that was your own fault considering Microsoft would have replaced it free of charge.

Folks, we all know what the real winner of this generation is. It's the Terminator
Which according to my predictions, will sell over 750 million units by 2020.

getoffmycloud:

But if you bought another one that was your own fault considering Microsoft would have replaced it free of charge.

I know of at least a few people who either just didn't want the hassle, or had their "fixed" 360 burn out on them and replaced it with a newer model just to avoid a repeat.

As for the headline, yeah, I'd have to rank it up as either clickbaiting or rampant fanboyism, and neither is a particularly good thing for someone theoretically operating as a journalist to do.

I... erm... I just... uh... wait, what?

What the fuck is this? Seriously, what the fuck? This isn't news. This isn't even true. The 360 has just been outshipped/sold by the PS3, and is currently sitting in third place according to financial reports. How does third place in a race of three equal the same as winning? Is this just relating to US sales? Well congratulations, the 360 is still doing well in one country. Thing is, you can't simply define sales by America and Not-America.

And it's not even as if the American numbers add up. They don't. You're essentially claiming that the 360 will outsell the Wii in the nxt four years. How could you possible know that? Sales for the console are already slowing up, and Microsoft will have a new console out long before 2017. Exactly what is going to keep causing the 360 to sell so that four years from now, it will outsell the Wii? That's not even financial prediction, that's just pulling stuff out of nowhere. Where's the substantiation? Where's the evidence? I could claim that the Ouya will be the most successful console in the history of ever, but if I don't have sources to back that statement, then I'm basically talking out of my arse.

And that's not even factoring in software. How can the 360 'win' the console war when it has by far the least amount of exclusives available for it? Even the bloody Wii had more exclusives come out for it in the last year than the 360 did. Not shovelware either, but actual games like Xenoblade, Skyward Sword and The Last Story. When the Wii has more 'hardcore' exclusives in 2012 than the 360 managed, how does that in any way count as a win for Microsoft? In every single category that matters, they've dropped the ball, and allowed Sony and Nintendo to get a home run.

It's like you guys aren't even trying to hide the anti-Nintendo bias here. What does the Wii U even have to do with this? Why include it in the end of the article, and why completely misreport its launch sales? And why the fuck did you go for such a stupid, flamebaity title? Are you deliberately trying to provoke troll responses. I thought the Escapist was better than that.

Seriously, I love the Escapist as a site, but news articles like this...

Haha, Oh Wow.

Andy Chalk u so crazy!

I thought the console war was long dead and buried already.

Also didn't the PS3 just pass the Xbox in consoles sold. And the Wii really is just too different a console to really count anymore.

Really I don't think any console in particular "won", each has its own successes and problems.

This seems more like an opinion piece that actual news.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the 360 'wins the Console War' when

a)You're only talking about North America and
b)These figures don't even exist yet.

This article feels dishonest quite frankly.

Memor-X:
well ofcause the x-box 360 is going to sell more consoles by 2017, because Sony and Nintendo would have moved to the next generation by then and people will stop buying PS3 or Wiis

BrotherRool:

Published 3 day ago.

well that post was talking about current sales and about 1 year ahead, but it has a crap load of less extrapolation on the market than a prediction of 4 years ahead with the added fact we should be ending the current console era in the next year or 2

And of the global market compared to the US market. What the source of either article is talking about is valid and non contradictory. However the headlines and the content of both articles is so awful, (I mean I didn't even read the linked article! I just looked at the graph and I already picked up more informatin and made less factual errors with the article in one glance than the entire Escapist article contains) that they end up contradicting each other. The articles aren't great but the headlines just take it to another level

Andy Chalk:
Xbox-360-Wins-the-Console-War

It's not even future tense! 'Wins' indicates an action which has just finished. If we wanted to be silly and sensationalist (so we'll let the US thing slip and won't mention analysts) Xbox 360 Will Win The Console War at least conveys something approximating the right information

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Snip

And that, my friends, is how you turn "no U" into poetry with a little effort. You're cool Andy, but I can't argue or refute anything j-e-f-f-e-r-s (that's a pain) has said here. It's only out of love and to make it better for everyone.

BrotherRool:

Published 3 day ago.

^This. I saw the title and thought "uh, didn't they say PS3's sold more consoles just the other day?". And then they go ahead and say "wins" when the article is talking about predictions. I think someone should administer some English language tests to Escapist "journalists". Reading comprehension seems to be at a particularly horrid level, although judging by this article, they don't even know the basic tenses.

Here's a little tip:
Wins - something that has happened in the near past
Will win - something that will happen in the future
Will win according to analysts - what you're looking for in a title!

The war is over now we can rebuild and try to move gaming forward! Or this is just another ceasefire that will last a few weeks then back to war and the 38th parallel to measure our sales and I can go back to living vicariously through the sales of my console of choice.

Any chance of getting the ridiculous sensationalist headline changed? I come to the escapist to get away from that crap. Not even considering that the headline is just plain incorrect when you take into consideration actual number of consoles shipped then microsoft actually lost this gen

I don't know what it is, some people seem to have had 3 or 4 xboxs or ps3s I've never had anything go wrong with my xbox in the 3 years I've had it. Back in England, my ps3 broke once, because I stupidly had it in a cupboard where all the heat got trapped and it had nowhere to vent. The main 'vent' for the xbox is on the right side of if, if you have your xbox vertical then don't be surprised when the insides of your xbox liquify.

I honestly hate all the hype surrounding console wars. This mattered a really long time ago, but it seems so pointless now. Console choice is a matter of personal preferences. I like all three for different reasons, but I like all of them the same because they compliment each other so well. Really, I just like games. And there are some games I can`t get on other systems so why not have all three? They all cost about the same and you can get them relatively cheaply if you look hard enough.

What a load.

I expected better from you, Escapist.

There was a war? Im sorry but from the magnanimous possition of my PC throne i payed it no heed. I just carried on with my life and lost no sleep what-so-ever.

Seriously im with yahtze on this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10132-Seriously-Console-Wars-Are-Pointless?utm_source=features&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Not the best article I've seen on the site.

This might be the worst Escapist Article I've ever read. And there's been some bad ones like slamming Sony for their limited edition golden VIAO that costed like 2000 bucks.

Really, sometimes you guys just need to look at some of these and just think to yourself "Is this really news?"

How can I get a job at a "Research Firm" that makes shit up about stuff that doesn't matter?

Look at all the people who did not read the article before raging....

Looking at the figures im not surprised. I had a PS1 and then bought a PS2 based on loving a PS1. Also bought an Xbox and then the whole PS3 pricing etc made me buy a 360. Now it seems Sony got the ego that felt people will just pay whatever with there logo and with how PS2 owned a huge amount of the console market i cant disagree with there thinking that much. But that ego is still alive, with tvs etc and Sony refuse to compete and live on their brand. Its a shame as the PS2 was awesome.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here