Research Firm Predicts Xbox 360 Will Outpace Wii, PS3

Pages PREV 1 2 3

DrunkOnEstus:

BrotherRool:
Don't be so quick to think he cares: (Read the replies)

Ah. Thats sad. Doesn't it leave you with good feelings hearing a professional mature response like that =D

It legitimately hurt my feelings (though granted I have a thin skin). Not to mention this notion that the issue was somehow a console fanboy/anti-360 thing. Whatever.

It left me feeling a bit angry to be honest, it's one thing to just be a bit lazy and make a silly mistake on a news post, it's another to double down and just flat out reject all the criticism of the mistake. And on twitter too. He didn't take up issue face to face with any of us, but he posted it on his twitter so it appears on the front news page. And he still doesn't get it.

If he posted that on the actual forums and he wasn't a contributor, he'd get a temp ban. Gahh... oh well.

Kroxile:
Hilarious, he changed the title!

Still, the research firm is full of shit because MS is dead last... again (fanboy "lol")

In 2017 no one will give a damn about this gen and will probably be looking forward to the generation after the next.

The extra hilarious thing is, he didn#t actually change the title. Instead he bitched about us on twitter and some other Escapist person changed the title without asking him =D

Murmillos:
wow... there are a lot of people who lack humor ... yes saying "x wins console wars" is flame baiting, but this is not a news site and headlines should be taken as a grain of salt.

I think the title was a play off of Yahtzee's column http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10132-Seriously-Console-Wars-Are-Pointless which I think a lot of people here missed.

Honestly, quit taking things so seriously and quit raging because of silly head-lines, you'll be a better person for it.

It does say news on the top of the page though =D And news right next to the name of the post too. And his job title is 'news room contributor'.

And if it#s not a news site then maybe I should stop reading the news on it, because honestly this is the most boring and inane sort of forum post to read. I feel a bit bad doing so anyway because it's copy pasted news and I'm not giving clicks to the people who found it in the first place, and unless you read the source linked theres a chance the info you consume is wrong (for example here, the figures are nonsense, because the actual linked article is talking about US sales figures and the prediction only relates to sales in the US). So maybe I should read the news on Polygon.com instead where they don't suffer from those flaws, it's just I genuinely like the Escapist, I like that they tried to take the higher ground even if they keep pulling stupid stuff like this. I commented because I want them to take the criticism on board and just stop doing it because I want the Escapist news to be awesome. they've got great opinion pieces, some really nice feature articles and a fun layout to read. With just a tiny bit more discipline and an open mind to some of the complaints, there's nothing stopping this from being a legitimately cool place to read the news (apart from the copypasta aspect)

Also I have an irrational dislike of people mistaking false information for real. I don't know why but it really bugs me, if you read the comments there are a couple of people here who didn't catch on (although most recognise it as absurd anyway) and anyone glancing at the title and not choosing to read it thoroughly would go away knowing a little less true things than when they started. If this was a forum post I'd call the OP out on it as a crud post and this is a guy whose employed to do this

Hasn't the PS3 sold about a million more units than the 360 now? I can't see the 360 pulling ahead when the PS 3 plays blu-rays thus giving the console a life line when next-gen comes out,

Something tells me these numbers are for US only, yeah 360 might come out ahead in the US, but world wide they come in 3rd.

disgruntledgamer:
Hasn't the PS3 sold about a million more units than the 360 now? I can't see the 360 pulling ahead when the PS 3 plays blu-rays thus giving the console a life line when next-gen comes out,

Something tells me these numbers are for US only, yeah 360 might come out ahead in the US, but world wide they come in 3rd.

It is only talking about the US, as the xbox never had much penetration in Japan which makes up most of the Wii/PS3 numbers

I don't think changing the title of the article has really changed anything. This is still an opinion piece.

FelixG:

disgruntledgamer:

It is only talking about the US, as the xbox never had much penetration in Japan which makes up most of the Wii/PS3 numbers

And Europe apart from the UK always sells more Wii's and PS3's. The USA is a big country(roughly the size of Europe) thought with a powerful market

BrotherRool:

FelixG:

disgruntledgamer:

And Europe apart from the UK always sells more Wii's and PS3's. The USA is a big country(roughly the size of Europe) thought with a powerful market

Hm, I thought Europe was more evenly split between the three systems than Japan, guess you learn something new every day! ^.^

FelixG:

Hm, I thought Europe was more evenly split between the three systems than Japan, guess you learn something new every day! ^.^

I think it is more evenly split, but the thing about Japan is the countries small enough that it can only affect so much. (8 million sales total for the PS3 compared to 30+ ish million in the US). I just looked up the figures now and it#s quite surprising (although a little out of joint because they both count regions differently)

European sales figures for the PS3 were 16 million in 2010 and that may include the UK and may include other PAL countries.

360 sales figures were 13.7 million in 2011 for Europe and that includes the UK, Africa and the Middle East

It's incredible just how much more successful the 360 is in the US though, Sony really didn't get close

I think its sad that Andy Chalk is being so immature about this article (read his Twitter posts about it). Instead of putting up an editor's note under the article to explain the change, he decides to insult the forum posters like a child.

When Grey Carter caught flak for this article, he made an editor's note and apologized, he didn't insult those who called him out.

I'm a little disappointed in Andy's handling of this.

Just chill out. Andy tried to have a bit of fun with his article and you guys went nuts. Besides, you are all scum in the eyes of The PC Master Race. :)

Sleekit:
when you write a "news" report its supposed to be "up front" not the start of some magical mystery tour of link click which finally reveals what was said is actually only true in one limited circumstance (ie in one country).

The links were in the article.

Wow, lot's of rage going on here...

OT: Xbox 360 selling more than the Wii? How about no...did we just get news saying PS3 passed out the 360 just a few days ago?

Why are we still on this "console war" business, I always thought it was just a joke against fanboys who insult other consoles, it's a real thing?

CrossLOPER:
Just chill out. Andy tried to have a bit of fun with his article and you guys went nuts. Besides, you are all scum in the eyes of The PC Master Race. :)

Sleekit:
when you write a "news" report its supposed to be "up front" not the start of some magical mystery tour of link click which finally reveals what was said is actually only true in one limited circumstance (ie in one country).

The links were in the article.

2 issues though.

1.The links states that the predictions are for US sales. The article does not. Along with the original title basically made this article akin to trolling for page hits.

2.Have you seen the way that Andy Chalk is handling this? Look up his Twitter and see what he's saying.

Yep, gotta keep buyin' those 360's because all the originals RED RINGED. Be sure to subtract those out next time MS.

(Please ignore the avatar, it makes me look like a dick in this particular post.)

EHKOS:

(Please ignore the avatar, it makes me look like a dick in this particular post.)

made me lol, maybe i should change my custom title when posting here.

OT I think it is sad to see people trying to fan the flames of console wars.

This article is a joke. The title was the reason people don't take you seriously. This is also right on the heels of the PS3 pulling ahead in units moved. Nothing to see here.

fix-the-spade:
You should mention that this is specific to US sales Mr Malygris!

They forget to mention that Nintendo already 'won' this generation by not digging itself a giant financial hole in the process. Microsoft would be completely commited to the next generation of hardware, were they not trying to rebuild on five years of red bank statements, which more or less renders the second half of the 360's life moot as far as profit goes.

In case anyone forgot, in June 2007 Microsoft added $1.05bilion in costs to it's own forecasts, specifically to deal with RRoD related costs and replacement.

Its cute when people still complain about RRoD. I havn't experienced any since the Jasper chip. Its a non-issue now. In fact I don't know one person who I know who plays Xbox who has had RRoD in years.

hey andy, if this article was supposed to be "playful", you didnt do a very good job of presenting it that way. a bit of advice, as a journalist, sarcasm is not your friend. leave it alone.

and i did read your correspondence with grey on twitter regarding this article, and i have to say such rampant smugness is very unbecoming, particularly when us forum scrubs are right.

VeneratedWulfen93:

Its cute when people still complain about RRoD. I havn't experienced any since the Jasper chip. Its a non-issue now. In fact I don't know one person who I know who plays Xbox who has had RRoD in years.

It may be cute to you, but it still happened and it cost north of a billion bucks by 2007, you can't talk about the 360 (or it's place in the console wars) and not bring up the big glaring red elephant in the room. They didn't get the overheating issue fixed properly until Trinity and the 360S came along either.

Grey Carter:
1594-2013
Murdered by videogame newsie, Andy Chalk.

As a PlayStation faithful, I am appalled.

im all for fun and games and jokes, but if you guys want to be funny, at least dont try to use deadpan sarcasm, (grey maybe you could teach andy how to do sarcasm, you're much better at it) or maybe save it for the comments section, and for the love of god don't insult your audience because they misinterpreted your opinion.

I'm slightly bemused by the amount of people reading 'These research guys said this' as 'This is my opinion'.

the lack of humility on your part andy is quite dissapointing, why take to twitter to insult your readers, instead of responding here where they can defend themselves?

Tanis:
When your forced, erm, retarded enough to buy 2 or more consoles because the hardware is SHIT...
Yeah, I can see how sales would so well.

I'm not saying the 360 didn't do well, hardware wise, but I AM saying that M$ made a TON of money from people buying 2nd or 3rd or 4th or...consoles because their originals crapped out on them.

aww .... I was gonna say that ....

but yeah, not hard to boost sales when the system is build to fail, what was it? like 1/3 of the time or something?

I've decided that I do not care who wins the console wars... I just want everyone to make up their mind on who's actually winning it.

Can we all just agree never to use the phrase "gathering dust" anymore? It's so overused. For a bunch of creative individuals I can't believe the amount of times I've heard it used on these forums with no variation. There are other ways to say 'I don't use it so much any more'. Not to mention that all the items in your house are 'gathering dust'. Let's try to find a new and original way to say things before we end up like all the 'fiscal cliff' journalists.

Claiming that the 360 has won when it can't even be considered as competing in Japan, and has been losing in Europe to the PS3 for a while.

It is only winning in the US. You can't claim victory, and only be winning 1 of the 3 major markets. That's really more of a pyrrhic victory to me.

The cost of the RROD was huge. The cost of extending the Warranty was huge. Victory in this sense is in the Eye of the Beholder.

The Wii, on the other hand, Made money for Nintendo. They didn't take a bath like Sony and MS did.

If MS or Sony plays this game and "Wins" like this again there won't be a Sony or a MS for much longer.

I don't understand, what difference does it make if the 360 surpasses the Wii in the next few years? The Wii's successor is already out, So the Wii has essentially bowed out of the race already and passed the torch on to the next generation. Sure you can still buy Wii's but it's not exactly getting Nintendo's full support.

If the 360 surpasses the Wii now it'll only because Nintendo stopped supporting it's console earlier to make room for the next and Microsoft is being slow about it.

I assume this is also not factoring in how many additional 360's were bought because the original or previous one had a brain aneurism and died which Wii's tend to do less often.

The title was "xbox wins console wars"?
How do you win from last place?

Assuming they're just taking the study at face value and I'm criticizing the study for being idiotic, how in the hell do they figure the 360 can possibly come out on top?

The Wii has a seriously unbeatable lead.
The PS3 has now finally made up the year-late start and sold more units than the 360, because the PS3 has a higher rate of sales.

But, even with the Wii sales dropping off to almost nothing, and the PS3 having the highest rate of sales....the PS3 will never catch the Wii.
You know why? The PS3, 360 and Wii are all doomed to fall into obscurity waaaaay faster than the PS2 did.
The PS2's longevity isn't going to be standard procedure.

The PS2 was the bridging agent between the era of primitive 3D and HD 3D graphics. It was the first of the multimedia consoles. It was a DVD player. It was backwards compatible with the PS1 and the PS3 was just backwards compatible enough with it to remind people, when it wasn't, that they needed a PS2.
It had an unnaturally vast scope, it was super reliable, and it was super user friendly and has one of the best game libraries ever.

The PS3 won the format war with BluRay, it was temporarily backwards compatible with the PS2, it's the more reliable of the two HD consoles, and it has the better game library.
The 360 launched first, is cheaper and has the better online/multiplayer features.

The PS3's strengths apply to its domination NOW, but physical media as a whole is rapidly becoming an irrelevant point, so the fact that it plays BluRays and PS1/PS2 games is going to be utterly nullified by the fact that the PS4 will be able to easily play all the same media in the form of digital content. Unlike the PS3 reminding people they need a PS2 for backwards compatibility, the PS4 will just have the same games available digitally. No one will be going "I need a PS2 to play ____".

Not many people really cared about backwards compatibility on the 360. XBOX games weren't really things you missed once you had their 360 sequels, but you have the option *shrug*. That's why the XBOX didn't have a chance of competing with the PS2. No one had any reason to own one if they had a 360.
And the 360 will suffer the same fate. The 720 will simply make XBOX and 360 games available digitally and no one will have any reason to get a 360 that doesn't already have one.

Digital content is going to nuke the sales rates of the PS3 and 360 loooooong before either one has a chance of catching the Wii.
And, as is, the PS3 is outselling the 360 AND the 720 will probably be coming out first. That means the 720 is going to cut short the sales rate of the 360 BEFORE the PS3's sales rate gets cut.

There's just no logical way the 360 is going to beat the PS3...much less the Wii.

Hilariously, and ironically, the Wii's sales rates are probably going to be the LEAST effected by the release of its successor. A massive portion of consumers aren't even aware that the Wii U is a new console. They don't realize that if they buy a Wii it's an old system...
Nintendo, in that sense, is a genius if they're trying to keep selling Wii's, but real dumb if they're trying to sell Wii U's, because all those people aren't excited for something new.

TheRussian:
Hmm, who is sill letting Andy Chalk write articles?

That wasn't rhetorical by the way.

I began to notice some of his more, er, intriguing articles that got my proverbial knickers in a twist, so I just assumed that my opinions were in the minority. This man is the lowest form of game journalism on the Escapist.

This is not me defending the 360, hell, I don't even own one of the bloody things. According to his Twittter, he claims to not own a 360, but his account has XboX Live linked to it, with several recent games.

This is more about fair journalism on the Escapist that really needs some buggering quality control!
/rant

I don't own a 360, but I still have a Live account that would show you "recently played games" because a lot of PC games require it under the guise of "Games For Windows Live."

Was going to read, but then saw that Andy Chalk wrote it. Lost my interest after that. He hasn't written a decent article on this site for a long time. All he does any more is write deliberately sensationalist headlines and actively troll his own readers by writing the article in such a way as to piss them off. And this is definitely not his first.

Oh, and love this bit on Twitter:

Every day I think forum posters can't get any more obnoxiously stupid. Every day, they prove me wrong.

I'd be willing to wager that if we were to post like this in your forums, we'd get warned or banned, and our post would be gone in very short order. I know that if I ever did that on Twitter, I'd be looking for a new job the very next day.

Hmm, not sure where they've taken the numbers, but a few weeks ago I read something very different. In regards of units sold (world wide as it seemed) Sony has taken the lead with its PS3 followed by the XBox360. And the numbers of sold units was something between 70 and 80 million.

And btw. the way the escapist presented this news was highly unprofessional imho. You practically begging for a flame war in the comments.

I'm pretty sure the original title/article was written with tongue-in-cheek, playful vibe, guys. You're overreacting to an extraordinary degree.

As for Chalk's twitter post; what of it? This thread is positively full of obnoxiously stupid crap.

This article is stupid, The xbox360 will outsell the wii by 2017?!?! its 2013 just now, with new consoles due this year.

Xbox numbers are also bogus, I have friends who have bought 3 or more of them due to hardware failures. Sure more units might get pushed but not more people using.

Arkley:

As for Chalk's twitter post; what of it? This thread is positively full of obnoxiously stupid crap.

The best response to criticism is anything but insulting those criticizing you.

Lovely Mixture:

Arkley:

The best response to criticism is anything but insulting those criticizing you.

Obviously. The best response to any criticism in the gaming industry is to blame the audience. BECAUSE IT'S THEIR FAULT.

Wait, what do you mean that it always makes you look even worse?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here