Gearbox Could Have Made a Call of Duty Title

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gearbox Could Have Made a Call of Duty Title

Randy Pitchford didn't "see a challenge" in making a Call of Duty installment.

Call of Duty is a pretty enormous series, comprising almost twenty games among eleven developers. As it turns out, Gearbox of Borderlands fame was almost one of them. Activision once approached Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford and asked if his company, renowned for its often-quirky FPS titles, wanted to try its hand at one of gaming's most profitable series. In the end, Pitchford declined the project, citing a lack of creative challenge as his primary reason.

"I couldn't see what there was to aim for," said Pitchford. According to him, there are only two kinds of projects that interest Gearbox: series that only Gearbox could make, or series to which Gearbox could add something new and distinctive. Pitchford did not feel that Call of Duty met either criterion. "The people who deliver Call of Duty have to make the game that fans want and adhere to the rules of the series, to do what is expected ... I don't really see a challenge there for us." In addition to the weight of fan expectations, Pitchford believed that the final product would end up as a halfhearted effort. "It wouldn't enhance our reputation as a studio and it wouldn't really motivate our team."

"This is a very individual opinion and not meant to sound condescending," Pitchford clarified. He also expressed interest in using Gearbox's own Brothers in Arms series if he wanted to make traditional shooters. A less conventional Call of Duty via Gearbox may sound like a missed opportunity, but given the company's lack of enthusiasm for the project, it's probably just as well that it never saw the light of day.

Source: MCVUK via KGN

Thank the Gods, a bullet dodged.

We already know that a 'less conventional' Call of Duty would just be the same as the other ones, but you can carry three guns instead of two. More to the point I can't see Gearbox's tendency to do the job, get paid sitting well with Activision's tendency to hand out a job, handout further jobs with the promise of ever larger payments in the unspecified future...

Not to be a jerk, but serious question: What did they add to Duke Nukem Forever that was new and distinctive? I'm going to guess that that particular deal wasn't their fault. On another note, I forgot about Brothers in Arms, those were some fun games. Maybe not memorable seeing as I forgot, but I know I enjoyed my time with them.

lol!

so much 'Burn' ....

though I can see Pitchford's point, copy/paste isn't exactly hard.

That's because the only challenge in making a Call of Duty game these days is keeping the Multi-player severs running :P

If they had made a Call of Duty game then maybe they would have gone in a slightly different direction, like the Half-Life expansion packs.

DVS BSTrD:
That's because the only challenge in making a Call of Duty game these days is keeping the Multi-player severs running :P

There are servers? I was under the impression that it was P2P hosted and that's why it plays like arse if you have an above-average internet connection.

OT: I swear I read this a good week ago... really? The Escapist news room is either slow or deliberately misleading today it seems.

DrunkOnEstus:
Not to be a jerk, but serious question: What did they add to Duke Nukem Forever that was new and distinctive?

Well they can say they're why Duke Nukem Forever released.

DVS BSTrD:

And keeping a straight face when you tell the community that things are going to be different.

DrunkOnEstus:
Not to be a jerk, but serious question: What did they add to Duke Nukem Forever that was new and distinctive? I'm going to guess that that particular deal wasn't their fault.

Youre right about that. When Gearbox was saddled with DNF (oh how i wish that was still the case) it also recieved express orders from 2K to get it finished.

No Gearbox, make Brothers in arms games instead, even if they're not turning out $10,000000 per game Matt Baker's story needs to be finished.

DrunkOnEstus:
Not to be a jerk, but serious question: What did they add to Duke Nukem Forever that was new and distinctive?

Let's see.

According to him, there are only two kinds of projects that interest Gearbox: series that only Gearbox could make, or series to which Gearbox could add something new and distinctive.

From what I remember, DNF wouldn't have seen the light of day if Gearbox hadn't 'saved' it.

Not only that but what other game let's you smear shit all over the place, or draw penis' and tits on a white board.

SkarKrow:

DVS BSTrD:

There are servers? I was under the impression that it was P2P hosted and that's why it plays like arse if you have an above-average internet connection.

OT: I swear I read this a good week ago... really? The Escapist news room is either slow or deliberately misleading today it seems.

According to speedtest, my internet is better than 90% of the UK (When Virgin isn't dropping the fucking connection. Get it together!). This means I am always the host and we abused it horrifically as all my friends who lived near me would all get a fantastically low ping. Sometimes we'd be able to get in an extra two bullets before an enemy even realised we had started firing.

P2P hosting methods are broken as hell. Above average connection,you will be owned constantly due to it taxing your connection. Awesome connection and you will just effortlessly steamroll everyone.

You know what, kudos to them.

Nice to hear of a CEO that stays true to the vision of the company

CardinalPiggles:

DrunkOnEstus:

Let's see.

According to him, there are only two kinds of projects that interest Gearbox: series that only Gearbox could make, or series to which Gearbox could add something new and distinctive.

From what I remember, DNF wouldn't have seen the light of day if Gearbox hadn't 'saved' it.

Not only that but what other game let's you smear shit all over the place, or draw penis' and tits on a white board.

You're right, I failed to consider their other criteria. Maybe that game isn't so bad when you go into it with an immature mindset? I could draw penis and tits on a whiteboard right now, but I'm not the Duke, baby.

While its good to know they decided to not get screwed by Activision...

This brings up something else... who here would want to see a GearBox game thats sorta like COD, but better in any number of ways.

DrunkOnEstus:

CardinalPiggles:

DrunkOnEstus:

Let's see.

You're right, I failed to consider their other criteria. Maybe that game isn't so bad when you go into it with an immature mindset? I could draw penis and tits on a whiteboard right now, but I'm not the Duke, baby.

Going into it with an immature mind helped me, but I still couldn't complete it. They should have just left it to rot.

DrunkOnEstus:

CardinalPiggles:

DrunkOnEstus:

Let's see.

*sigh* That last past was actually a joke. Maybe I should start putting Lol or a smiley at the end of every joke.

In a related note; sarcasm translates fairly well though.

What I want to know is when abouts they were approached? Was it before the controversy regarding the firings after MW2? Was it 10 or 15 years ago, or say, only 2 or 3 years?

As glad as I am they didn't make a COD title, I'm really curious as to what a Gearbox COD game would look like!

I love gearbox <3

Good for them turning down the evil CoD series :p

kburns10:
As glad as I am they didn't make a COD title, I'm really curious as to what a Gearbox COD game would look like!

"Ramirez! They're hitting us with heavy armor! Use the corrosive munitions to melt those APCs!"

But just imagine how good Black Ops 2 would have been if narrated entirely by Tiny Tina!

Triforceformer:
[quote="DrunkOnEstus" post="7.398533.16304269"]Well they can say they're why Duke Nukem Forever released.

I'm so used to 'their,' 'there,' and 'they're' being misused that I literally sat staring at your sentence for about fifteen seconds before I realized that the reason I thought it looked weird was because it was using 'they're' correctly. Kudos.

OT: I'm with Terramax. I want to know how long ago they were approached. And, moreover, what were they approached for?

Was it going to be them who developed the Vita title? Because, honestly, that could have only resulted in a better game than what we got.

Was it during the whole Infinity Ward scandal? Because, as far as I'm concerned, Sledgehammer messed up bad with their part of MW3, so that result would likely have been positive as well.

Was it before we were on this yearly release schedule, when Activision was looking for a second studio to cash in on the game's popularity? Because, if that was the case, they might have been in a position to play with the formula a little bit. My guess would be that it came after the first Borderlands, though. I always got the feeling that that was when Gearbox kind of hit 'superstar developer' status, and Activision might have been trying to grab a little bit of dual brand-recognition going.

While I'm glad they turned it down, as it likely would have been a fairly derivative FPS, I'm also a little bit upset. I think a different developer could do wonders for the series, even if they're just adding the occasional new touch. Once the franchise is inevitably killed by yearly releases, a new developer would probably be the best bet for Activision. And then keep to a one-game-every-two-or-three-years schedule, so the series has time to evolve.

CAPTCHA: mushy peas

Yeah, current-day Call of Duty games are about that bland, little buddy.

fix-the-spade:
We already know that a 'less conventional' Call of Duty would just be the same as the other ones, but you can carry three guns instead of two.

Black Ops 1 wants to talk to you - its Zombie Mode allows just that (via Mulekick Perk).

Still, a CoD by GearBox? Wouldn't mind. I mean, Treyarch is already giving the series a (relatively speaking) slight twist even if you don't count the Zombie mode.

Dogstile:

SkarKrow:

DVS BSTrD:

According to speedtest, my internet is better than 90% of the UK (When Virgin isn't dropping the fucking connection. Get it together!). This means I am always the host and we abused it horrifically as all my friends who lived near me would all get a fantastically low ping. Sometimes we'd be able to get in an extra two bullets before an enemy even realised we had started firing.

P2P hosting methods are broken as hell. Above average connection,you will be owned constantly due to it taxing your connection. Awesome connection and you will just effortlessly steamroll everyone.

very true. a person who has above the average but not yet good connection will have trouble due to how his connection is loaded being the host. take mine for example which according to speedtest fit in 5% top in the world - it will jsut hammer though it with no problem at all and i will have 0 ping.
there is a downside though. i play on a very slow computer, so if the game itself (not the internet) lags for me, it leave little for the hosting part, so whole match starts seeing spikes due to low hardware. oh how fun it is when they dont understand why the game just "Froze up for me for 2 seconds" :D

Condescend away, Randy! I'm glad you had more class than to stick your head in the boring bucket of shit that is the CoD series.

Next to Valvesoftware, Gearbox is one of my favorite game developer.
They act in similar ways, and they rather have something of a challenge than to work on a copy/paste cashcow.

Go Randy!

kburns10:

I kind of imagine something like the WWI themed levels of Timesplitters, with Captain Price being more like Captain Ash...Suddenly I want it to happen.

Dogstile:

SkarKrow:

DVS BSTrD:

I get something around 12MB/s through my cable, wifi in my room is down to something like 3MB/s.

If I take my cable and shove it in my PS3 everybody is just lag fodder in COD and thats boring. If I try to use my wifi I lag like crazy. They did do that stupid thing where if you had a better connection you basically got mandatory, think that was in MW3.

I never lag on PC mind, but then that's usually dedicated servers. I do get ripped apart by aimbots a fair bit though.

Dedicated servers are a much better solution provided they don't sell them all off like EA did with BF3.

Ah randy, for every time you feed us the necessary PR bullshit there are statements like this which makes me really like gearbox.
But wait, isn't a big chunk of cod the zombie mode by now? And are we not getting something like that in colonial marines?

*checks to see what Gearbox has done in past 10 years*
*finds out that they've done nothing special*
*finds out they've done nothing on a technical level*
*finds out that they're mostly linear shooters*

They should have done it as this would've given them some money to actually do something.

Activision - Cod (it broke record sales *shrug*)
Blizzard - Starcraft and Wow
Bioware - ME1
Microsoft - Halo 1
CD Projeckt - witcher
Valve -HL
And so forth...

So instead of making one episode in a dull, grey, poorly balanced shooter franchise (CoD), Gearbox decides to forge its own path... and creates its own dull, grey, poorly balanced shooter franchise (Borderlands) but with *pseudo-RPG* elements! Intellectual freedom, huzzah!

Have fun reveling in your mediocrity, guys, while the rest of us play XCOM and Far Cry 3.

(I would have mentioned Duke Nukem Forever, but a: that wasn't entirely Gearbox's fault; and b: I've spent the better part of a year trying to wipe that abomination from my mind.)

To anyone wondering what a gearbox COD would look like. Go and play the brothers in Arms series, easily the best WW2 shooter series there is.

Good, Borderlands is the obviously much better of the two series!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here