300 Director to Develop Star Wars Standalone Based on Seven Samurai

Pages 1 2 NEXT

300 Director to Develop Star Wars Standalone Based on Seven Samurai

Zack Snyder previously said he had no interest in Star Wars: Episode VII.

Apparently director Zack Snyder's previous lack of interest in directing the seventh Star Wars movie was honest but misleading, because according to an anonymous source consulted by Vulture, he's set to develop a Jedi epic based on the classic movie Seven Samurai by famed Japanese director Akira Kurosawa. Snyder is best known for directing 300, Watchmen and this summer's upcoming superman reboot Man of Steel. It's currently unknown where in the trilogy the film will fall, though it likely won't be a numbered Star Wars episode. It's likely that this is part of Disney's new plan to release a Star Wars movie every few years, which will likely require a few movies that stand alone. Vulture's sources say that the new Snyder film will probably go into production after Star Wars: Episode VII releases in 2015.

Seven Samurai is a 1954 movie set during the warring states period in Japan that tells the story of seven ronin hired to defend a peasant village that's robbed by bandits each year. Samurai movies like those directed by Akira Kurosawa are regularly cited as inspirations for Star Wars, so it's interesting to see Disney returning to the root of the films' influence. Picking Snyder as director will likely result in a little controversy. We'll see how everyone feels about it after Man of Steel releases this summer.

Source: Vulture

Sounds good. Thing about the prequels were it was concentrated on Vader and light sabers. The characters sucked as it had to be connected to the original series. But with this they can do there own thing. New characters etc This movie could be awesome if they keep the feel of the original trilogy but have new stuff. Will be excellent.

Really? I absolutely love Seven Samurai, but it's not as if we need more films remaking it or being inspired by it. It's one of the most homaged films in the history of the medium. The Magnificent Seven remade it, and is one of the defining Westerns. Stephen King rewrote it in his Dark Tower series. Hell, even Pixar made one extended shout out to it with A Bug's Life.

If you're going to look to Kurosawa for influence, why not choose some of this other legendary films, ones that haven't already been remade and reimagined to death? Can you imagine something like Throne Of Blood or Ran reimagined in the Star Wars setting? Sure, they're based off Shakespeare themselves, but fuck it. Or Kagemusha? Because the last thing we need right now is another story where some poor community manages to hire seven legendary warriors as a last ditch effort to defend themselves from some roving mercenary threat. Even if those warriors have lightsabers...

Oh and if you look at 7 samurai, you think of 7 jedi protecting a village from sith or bandits. It just fits the lore and how both sides fit. Hopefully this is a one off movie, no sequels. It tells the story and its over. Will be good. Well....knowing the how 7 samurai ends.

I wonder what exactly they mean by "remaking". Is this going to be "7 Jedi fight to defend a planet against attackers, sacrificing several of their number but ultimately winning," or "A bunch of heroes do something, but use they same sort of archetypes."

That sounds really cool.
I like Star Wars, I like the Seven Samurai and I think Mr Snyder is a decent director.
Hopefully its not crap like Star Wars Clone Wars.

The Magnificent Seven with lightsabers?
I would watch that.
Also, stand alone stories always have a uniqueness towards them that I rarely find uninteresting. Just as long as it has no/very tenuous connections to previous star wars characters - not that I don't love them, but their stories are done to death. Let's they do something new and fun.

Why would you want to tarnish a good story with space wizards?

Well, cautiously optimistic on this one, because, well, new Star Wars movies. Not sure if Snyder would be the right fit, but doing a standalone is probably the best place to try him out, because it allows stylistic difference from the original saga and whatever Disney has in the works. And I've gotta say, I like the idea of standalone Star Wars stuff. If it takes off, I hope they try and adapt KotOR, that would be great.

I think the Clone Wars cartoon already had an episode like that, so it wouldn't even be an original concept in the Star Wars Universe.

i fucking love Zack Snyder, so this pleases me greatly

Kinda wish they hadn't spoiled the plot so early.

This seems really cool. If Disney get on board with the idea of the Star Wars EU and telling smaller tales within it as a decision right from the very top even in the films... that could be very cool

Oo, lovely. Battle beyond the stars all over again.

The Magnificent 7 have been to space before...

:P

We'll see how everyone feels about it after Man of Steel releases this summer.

the answer to that will be not good.

DVS BSTrD:

y'know at some point you kinda have to get a handle on the fact that the number of "storys" that can be told is actually limited.

Sleekit:

Wow...never knew this. I'm definitely gonna check this one out. I love how they blatantly rip off the design of a Corellian Corvette on the poster, the same with the laughably similar title.

Captcha: Men in Suits. Almost captcha, but it's called Men in Black.

Talaris:

Sleekit:

Wow...never knew this. I'm definitely gonna check this one out. I love how they blatantly rip off the design of a Corellian Corvette on the poster, the same with the laughably similar title.

i used to have it in my video collection. as i remember it its actually quite a fun little movie in its own cheesy low budget way.
i mean just look at the cast...you kinda know what you're gonna get with that cast...and executive producer

dragongit is correct. The Clone Wars episode was pretty good too (if a bit predictable)

This'd be amazing, but unfortunately Snyder's released a statement denying it to hollywood reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336

All the sad-faces :(

Sleekit:

DVS BSTrD:

y'know at some point you kinda have to get a handle on the fact that the number of "storys" that can be told is actually limited.

Well yeah but I generally like to find out what that story is by, ya know watching the movie for myself. When I watched A Bug's Life I had no idea what it was based on so I enjoyed it based on it's own story. Now I'm just going be stuck watching the Star Wars movie and constantly comparing it to Seven Samurai in the back of my head.

Mumorpuger:
Why would you want to tarnish a good story with space wizards?

Because Star Wars did it before?

It is no secret that Lucas was heavily inspired by samurai films when making A New Hope, in particular The Hidden Fortress, another classic film by Akira Kurosawa. The original script for episode IV even strongly resembles the plot of that movie.

Basing a Star Wars movie on Seven Samurai is not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. It all boils down to whether the director can make it work.

THIS IS TATTOOINE!!!

I can see this going well. An action oriented adventure movie inspired by older samurai and adventure movies. Kind of sounds familiar...

Nah must be me imagining things. Though it would be fun to see Seven Space Samurai in theaters. I do hope they call it that. A big fan of alliteration.

cwmdulais:
i fucking love Zack Snyder, so this pleases me greatly

Snap. This was pretty awesome news for me too. Got a damn good feeling about this!

Because Seven Samurai hasn't been remade enough.

Could work but for the love of god Disney Jedi overpopulation kills the movies for me. I mean if we found a force sensitive rabbit race maybe I would be ok with it.

Mike Kayatta:
Because Seven Samurai hasn't been remade enough.

What if we made it eight? We might as well redeem gungans before it is too late.

Seven Samurai is a classic, this is not really a debate.

Love Synder's work, whether or not it will work in this context is debatable.

However, Snyder takes up things that he is passionate about and takes pretty good care of them. Regardless of how well a Star Wars-esque adaptation of Seven Samurai would work, I'm sure Snyder would do his best. That is, if he did it.

I'm still not sure what to make of Disney's newest acquisition and I probably won't until Episode VII (or whatever they make) comes out. Way too early to take stock in anything right now.

anzerath:
dragongit is correct. The Clone Wars episode was pretty good too (if a bit predictable)

Clone Wars has a ton of good episodes with smart premises. Which one are you referring to?

nomaner:
UPDATE: He is NOT doing a Star Wars 7 Samurai movie: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Well, my buzz is killed now.

Star Wars already did a Seven Samurai homage on The Clone Wars. And it sucked.

nomaner:
UPDATE: He is NOT doing a Star Wars 7 Samurai movie: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/star-wars-samurai-zack-snyder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Damn it! I had a lightsaber gay joke all ready, what with it being Zack "Shut up, I'm married to a woman! No gay man has ever married a woman!" Snyder theoretically up to direct said Star Wars movie.

Eh. Man of Steel's coming out soon (heh). That's all the ammunition I'll need.

would be cool but i'll not hold my breath.

I'm interested, but not with Zack Snyder as the director. His directorial style is . . . I'm not even sure if I can come up with the words to properly describe it. It's like a codfish trying to be sexy with a blob of lemon jello.

. . .

I'm going to stick with that. It's as good as anything else I could come up with.

This sounds like something I'd expect to hear in a Pinky and the Brain episode.

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so Brain, but why would anyone want to see Star Wars and the Seven Samurai?

Just...don't turn it into a dark, gritty, gore infested movie. That's not Star Wars--although I doubt Disney would allow that to happen. Then again, we did get those other two Pirates movies...

It doesn't have to be only Jedi. The seven could be made up of troopers, pilots, bounty hunters, or dozens of other character types. I'm sure a Jedi will be in the mix, but seven Jedi? That's going to be overkill no matter who they fight. Unless it's an army of Sith, which would end up contradicting the Sith Rule of Two. Unless they've skipped ahead in the timeline to the Legacy Era and Rule of the One Sith. Of course, that's only going to happen if they follow the established lore in the Expanded Universe, which means--you know what? I better stop. I could go on for days I fear.

Just don't do that first thing I listed and I'll be okay with it.

As mentioned, Clone Wars did something like this, with the Jedi teaming up with hired mercs/bounty hunters to fend off the bandits.

Bounty hunters are more fun. Greater variety of appearance, weapons, personality, and backstory.

Perhaps set in the Old Republic?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or