Steam Greenlights Ten More Games

Steam Greenlights Ten More Games

Leisure Suit Larry, Akaneiro, DLC Quest and seven other games have been given the official green light on Steam.

Ten more games have been Greenlit (Greenlighted?) on Steam, bringing the total number of games to make it through the process to almost 60. The latest additions to the list are:

• Akaneiro: Demon Hunters
  • Asylum
  • DLC Quest
  • Eador: Masters of the Broken World
  • La-Mulana
  • Leisure Suit Larry
  • MaK
  • The Age of Decadence
  • Unepic
  • War For The Overworld

Two software titles, the game design tool articy:draft and the modeling app GroBoto, also made the cut.

While all of these games have been given the official Steam Seal of Approval in one big batch, Valve noted that as always, they'll be released independently "in the months ahead," as their development allows. I can't say that I've really been looking forward to anything on the list this time around, although it's nice to see Leisure Suit Larry make it and Akaneiro, despite its vaguely dodgy-sounding Kickstarter, looks like it could be very cool.

For a full list of Greenlighted (Greenlit?) games, and a much heftier list of potentials awaiting your love, hit up Steam Greenlight.

Definitely Greenlit. :P Nice to see WFTO got there. Looking very much forward to it. Going to be interesting to see how well these all turn out. :D

From Seduce Me to Leisure Suit Larry... you're having such a sexy day, Mr Chalk.

I'm looking forward to War for the Overworld since it seems the closest we'll ever see to a true Dungeon Keeper 3. They've even got Richard Ridings back to do the voice of the mentor.

War for the overworld? :D

I've had my eye on that for quite a while and so far it's looking promising.

Hey DLC Quest, I got that in an indie bundle (I think), was fun but not to the point where I would buy it alone, it takes like 40 minutes to fully beat.

Well at least War for the overworld sounds interesting.

Thank goodness Asylum finally made it, if it is anything like Scratches then it will be a big hit with horror fans.

Man I REALLY need to get a gaming rig one of these days.

Xannidel:
Thank goodness Asylum finally made it, if it is anything like Scratches then it will be a big hit with horror fans.

They'd have to be crazy not to include it! :P

Pity I already bought La-Mulana on GoG. I'll probably buy it again on Steam later; it's absolute genius. Metroidvania meets Myst. It's also a good idea to bring a notepad. There are clues all over the ruins, and your laptop can only record 10 things.

If you like that kind of game but think they need more action, La-Mulana is your game.

Everyone else is championing something here. La-Mulana needs more love.

Appropriate Captcha: I like you!

Well there are no cross country truck simulators this time so I guess that's an improvement.
My specific reactions:

Akaneiro: Demon Hunters:
I say this from the depths of my soul and without a trace of sarcasm YAY!

Asylum:
oh goody another "Psychological Horror Adventure" don't we already have like 6 of those on Greenlight? I will reserve judgement until I actually play it, but my expectations are at zero.

DLC Quest:
The irony of people charging money for a ten minute long game to protest what they see as nickle and diming business practices is searing. On top of that it just wasn't a very good game, with a "message" that is purely preaching to the (already very loud) choir

Eador: Masters of the Broken World:
Doesn't look like a game I would personally enjoy, but certainly seems promising for fans of deep turn based strategy.

La-Mulana:
*angelic choir singing*

Leisure Suit Larry:
Excuse me for a moment while I find something to bash my face on until the hurting stops.

MaK:
Could be amazing, could be another soon forgotten Minecraft clone, time will tell.

The Age of Decadence:
An interesting project, the quality of the final product will mostly come down to if it uses "old school" as an excuse for archaic design choices.

Unepic:
The horrifically amateur description on the page worries me especially for the game's humor (Anyone who refers to their jokes as "hilarious references" probably isn't that funny) but on the other hand the gameplay does look fun.

War For The Overworld:
Massive potential but a lot could go wrong, so this is another one for the "wait and see" pile

Yet another batch and still no Shantae? seriously people: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94588574
its an amazing game and Wayforward deserves recognition. Go vote, I beg you.

Are any of the games that are Greenlit done? This Greenlight thing is seriously disappointing me thus far. 60 games Greenlit, 12 released, some released in an incomplete state.

AzrealMaximillion:
Are any of the games that are Greenlit done? This Greenlight thing is seriously disappointing me thus far. 60 games Greenlit, 12 released, some released in an incomplete state.

La-Mulana has been out on Playism, GoG and a couple other sites for a while now. It's as done as it's ever going to be.

AzrealMaximillion:

There's a section in the Greenlight portion that lists the released titles.

Eador: Masters of the Broken World, cant wait for this

Damn, I was hoping to see The Cat Lady on this list. Watched Mangaminx LP of it, it was fantastic. Maybe next time!

And I think Greenlit should be the verb to describe these games, not Greenlighted. Yay grammar (unless lighted can actually be used as the verb, but Greenlit still sounds better)!

Never got to play the original Leisure Suit Larry, so I'm definitely in for that alone!

leet_x1337:

AzrealMaximillion:

La-Mulana has been out on Playism, GoG and a couple other sites for a while now. It's as done as it's ever going to be.

That's one game though. What about the other 43 titles that have been Greenlit? Some of them are done but waiting on Valve (i.e. Black Mesa), while a decent chunk of them are no where close to being done (Kenshi, Age of Decadence). The Greenlight system is flawed. Especially when unfinished games get Greenlit and sometimes sold before finished products. I know its all vote based but they've already had to revamp this system once. It still seems shoddy to me.

I thought Inquisitor would be greenlit by now. I hope that it will eventually.

At least I'll be able to play DLC quest.

War Thunder next please. I'd rather not have to deal with Yuplay's fucking stupid payment system.

Glad Eador made it, looks like a nice graphical upgrade to the earlier game people rave about on gog.
I still have no idea how you tell how close a game is to being greenlit though, is there some counter somewhere I am missing?
On the release front, once it is Greenlit is it completely up to the developers when to push the game to the store, or does steam throttle the release schedule?

Operations:
Glad Eador made it, looks like a nice graphical upgrade to the earlier game people rave about on gog.
I still have no idea how you tell how close a game is to being greenlit though, is there some counter somewhere I am missing?
On the release front, once it is Greenlit is it completely up to the developers when to push the game to the store, or does steam throttle the release schedule?

Valve is still working out the major kinks of Greenlight's release schedule. A lot of people were pissed when Towns got released on the store in its half done state and charged people the full $15 without anything on its Store Page telling anyone it was still in Alpha.

Some people were made at Cortex Command's campaign not being able to be completed after paying $20 for a game that the dev said was in 1.0. The developer has since apologized.

Black Mesa was the first game Greenlit but has no Steam release yet. Greenlight right now is very, very wonky. Almost finished games are getting released. Games that have years left to be finished are getting Greenlit and taking up spots that close to done, or done games could be having.

I'm saying this now, Desura has beat Steam when it comes to helping indie developers with their game in a big way.

Goldurnit. Where the hell is the English translation of "Inquisitor"!!!!!

At this rate, I'll never get to see No Time To Explain on Steam.

=(

So let me get this straight... "Seduce Me" gets rejected, a game about banging all the women around you through a series of mini-games, while "Leisure Suit Larry" gets accepted, a game about banging all the the women around you through a series of mini-games.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

It is really quite tragic how much the Leisure Suit Larry name is associated with those newer bad games with Larry Lovage.

Look guys, it isn't one of those games! What just got greenlit is a remake of the original game from 1987 with the original lovable loser, Larry Laffer, and it is being helmed by several Sierra Online veterans including Larry's creator, Al Lowe, who recently got the rights to his creation back. If anything, it is a labor of love, and they are trying their hardest to make this series come again in style!

aceman67:
So let me get this straight... "Seduce Me" gets rejected, a game about banging all the women around you through a series of mini-games, while "Leisure Suit Larry" gets accepted, a game about banging all the the women around you through a series of mini-games.

Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Oh I know. I pointed out the hypocrisy of this months ago when Seduce Me was first rejected. The only argument that people had in defense of Steam's decision was "but there's graphic nudity in Seduce me." There may not be outright nudity in Leisure Suit Larry from what I remember (it has been while since I've cared about LSL so correct me if I'm wrong), but there's nudity in a lot of games that Steam has for sale. Mass Effect, GTA Lost and the Damned and The Witcher Series.

War For The Overworld

YES!

Dungeon Keeper lives again!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook