Apple: "If You Want To Criticize Religion, Write a Book"

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Hmmm, LAWSUIT!!!

Too bad I am not developing anything, or I would ask the ACLJ to help me sue Apple for the right to publish.

I wouldn't even be so annoyed with Apple's policies of A) treating their customers like complete retards and B) insisting on complete control of your thing and every program you run on it, but they're rubbing off on other people now.

I think perhaps if windows 9 proves to be as terrible as 8, I will just permanently switch to Ubuntu or something and be done with all this bullshit.

Oskuro:
Oh, so they are protecting the children because parents can't be bothered to set up parental control?

#@$% you, Apple! Who are you to decide where the line is, or if it exists at all?

The ones who made the device.

/thread

TWEWER:
I'm really glad that Apple had the balls to law down the law in the most simple way possible. They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit. They never said anything about games not being able to explore deeper themes. All Apple said was that they don't want their platform to be used as a soapbox for your religious or political preaching. And they are well within their rights to maintain that policy.

Agreed. People are acting as if other mediums aren't regulated similarly. Books have to be cleared through publishing houses (and there are different publishers for different genres), every song written ever doesn't immediately get published, etc. I would argue that regulating art/forms of medium is a good thing: it encourages people to work harder and perfect what they are trying to make. A book about a person rambling about religion won't get published unless it is well written.

I kind of think that people are overreacting to Apple's statement... If a good game gets rejected by Apple (which is mainstream, caters to more generalized interests), it can come to the internet.

Bottom line: The app store isn't the internet and can't be like it. The app store is a company who has to worry about its public image (an app store with tons of bad "merchandise" doesn't help). The internet has a community and its own ways of regulation (or choosing) what is good and what isn't worth anybody's time.

Any time people say "we think you'll know when you've crossed the line", and can't themselves articulate the line, that's a very good sign that the line is not real; they'll give inconsistent answers and they won't be able to evaluate them. I'm extra sensitive to this because I frequently have no idea at all what lines people think something crosses, and attempts to get them to explain what's wrong with it are usually met with evidence that they don't know either, and find the reminder of this infuriating.

erttheking:

teh_gunslinger:
And that's why I've been ranting about fucking Steve Jobs and Apple for neigh on 10 years.

Nice going, all you consumerist sheep who bought their products. Think different my ass. None of you ever thought an independent thought. You just wanted the shinies.

Right right, because I bought something that you don't approve of, I'm a sheep. Could you be any more insulting. God, sheep is turning into such a generic buzzword that it's slowly losing all meaning.

"I'm...meaningless :(."

Oskuro:
Oh, so they are protecting the children because parents can't be bothered to set up parental control?

#@$% you, Apple! Who are you to decide where the line is, or if it exists at all? I bought your overpriced hardware, so I am the one to decide if I want a fart App or a bouncy cock on it!Amen! If I want Penny Arcade Episode 3 or The Binding
Of Issac on my phone,so long as I pay for it,who are you to tell me I'm wrong for wanting to do so?

I keep saying this once and again, but this is Wal-Mart imposing their personal moral code on their retail outlets all over again, and seeing how big the outlet is, it will have similar disastrous results for both developers and audiences. No kidding,I have to go across the bridge to Memphis to a bookshop if I want Manga. It's bull crap they dont carry any except the occasional Naruto.

Or, in other words, censorship executed not by an elected government, but by a private corporation, in the name of their public image. Frakking disgusting,isn't it? In their quest to be PC,they forgot some people WANT to be challenged,to think about things in a way most normal people wouldn't. Cowards.

It is true that freedom of speech does not grant the right to say anything you want on a privately owned locale (They can kick you out), but when said locale is so massive and influential it can shape an entire industry, we should be taking a closer look at what is going on there. Because I think there *is* a line, which was crossed long ago by most if not all major retailers and publishers. One that,most of them probably see the issue,but are so busy with the money they're getting (Which you would think they be all for things like this because it's a specific market that has repeat customers. Repeat customers mean more money,and the likelihood that they'll come back and spend MORE money. How is this hard?)to care.

But hey, what do I know, I'm just a customer.

Edit: And about the parental control "problem", they know full well they could enforce parental control more strictly (Say, link access to adult-oriented content to a valid credit card, which requires participation of a willing adult). Their use of the "won't anyone think of the children" smoke screen makes them despicable.

And an argument that most people could easily see through.

Fuck the App Store.

I work with Apple every day, I do hardware repair the iMacs/Macbook Pro's/etc. I don't even own an iPhone anymore, I have a Galaxy S3 and love it. I don't want the limitations imposed via unjust censorship.

Apple being it's usual restrictive self.

Overall why do we need censorship? Offensive material doesn't need to be filtered out when there's a clear way to avoid it. Do you not like blood and gore? Well it's labeled on the back of the box so if that's the case then just don't buy it.
It seems to boil down to "I don't think anyone should see this, so it shouldn't be sold" and then they just force that on others.

TWEWER:
I'm really glad that Apple had the balls to law down the law in the most simple way possible. They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit. They never said anything about games not being able to explore deeper themes. All Apple said was that they don't want their platform to be used as a soapbox for your religious or political preaching. And they are well within their rights to maintain that policy.

Yes. This.

To me, games are primarily entertainment. When you start integrating other mediums it can become frustrating, and in some cases the games are terrible. On the one hand, I am a gamer and I get the frustrations of gamers. On the other hand, gamers have super thin skin, and can be just as polarized as the anti-violent game crowd. It's an interesting thing to watch.

Huh, it's almost as if they want to cater elusively to gated America these days.

Yeah... that's a pretty crass way of going about writing a TOS. Though Apple has been known for adding a hint of sarcastic humor in their eulas (Remember kids, no using your iPod/iPhone/iPad for nuclear/bio/chemical weapons development.), this just comes off as snarky and unprofessional.

Zachary Amaranth:

TWEWER:
They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit.

So they're going out of business?

But jokes aside, if they don't want "pretentious bullshit," why is it limited to games only?

Because games, as an emerging art form, are significantly easier to control than most of the media that passes through their devices. And even that is an understatement.

people still buy apple products? i thought we all got bored of paying 4X the price for half the product

It's times like these that I regret owning Apple products.

And no, I didn't buy them. They were gifted.

zumbledum:
people still buy apple products? i thought we all got bored of paying 4X the price for half the product

Unfortunately the brainwashing seems permanent :(

I imagine that Apple are quite happy to have religious apps available, even though most of them have violent content and preach hatred towards one group or another (more often all).

I'm happy to say I've never owned an Apple device, but I did have the misfortune of using an iMac at school once. Never again.

Ignore this post, hit send by accident. I thought I had canceled in time, but apparently, no.

Turiski:

Because games, as an emerging art form, are significantly easier to control than most of the media that passes through their devices. And even that is an understatement.

Actually, it's quite easy to control content in a closed system.

No exceptions.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or